Romance with Sasha is forced and frustrating why no Fiona choice instead?

Comments

• All these Rhysha fans saying "it didnt feel forced to me", well of course it didn't, cuz you shipped it already! In a choice-based game, the game shouldn't be goading you into one road. "Pick the flower!!" And let's not forget the intro to episode 4, where the game has Rhys and Sasha smile at each other in slow-motion, while Fiona comes in with a "dont touch my sister" glare, THAT was total bullshit too.

Though honestly, I'm done with the discussion too. The other pairing "won" because people either genuinely liked it, or was pushed into it because "aw their chemistry" when the game wouldn't let you do that with anyone else, or blah. I can take comfort knowing at least 2% of people are my kind of people.

• edited May 2016

And let's not forget the intro to episode 4, where the game has Rhys and Sasha smile at each other in slow-motion, while Fiona comes in with a "dont touch my sister" glare, THAT was total bullshit too

This is coming from a Rhysha shipper, I look at that as more for comedy then it was to be shippy. Without it, we wouldn't have had Fiona look over like that at Rhys, which was then followed by Scooter looking over at her, mistakenly thinking she was actually looking at him, causing Fiona to get creeped out, which was honestly one of the funniest parts of the intro and the episode. Plenty of people, even the non Rhysha shippers, got a kick out of that scene because it wasn't meant to be taken so seriously, it was done to be funny, nothing else.

And when we got to that point in Episode 3, I wasn't even shipping them at the time, and it still felt natural to me. Throughout the game, their interactions felt more natural and believable to me, and like I said in my original post, we saw their relationship change over the course of the series, starting all the way back in Episode 1.

Look, we all have different perspectives, likes, tastes, etc., don't act all so high and fucking mighty and like you're better than us for not going down this path. To some it felt natural, to others, it felt forced, whatever, it comes down to your perspective. So yeah, to you it felt forced but that doesn't mean that everyone who went down that path were tricked into it. There are plenty of reasons, a lot of which are here on this thread, as to why people either didn't want to be with Fiona or wanted Sasha. Maybe they thought it was weird to have the two characters you play as get together, others felt Rhys and Fiona had a more sibling dynamic rather than a romantic dynamic, others because they view Fiona as independent and as someone not interested in romance in any way (even Anthony Burch, a writer for this game, said somewhere, I believe his ask.fm page, that he felt Fiona was asexual). Others just found the Rhys and Sasha scenes worked better and thought there was a connection between the two of them, not because the game told them to think that, but because they generally thought it. At the end of the day, they willingly chose to go down that path as they picked the options that led to it, and there were still plenty of options for them to avoid it. Even if you pick up the flower, you can choose to keep it for yourself. You can have Rhys say he only likes Sasha as a friend, or promise Fiona he'll stay away from her, etc.

fayescarlet posted: »

All these Rhysha fans saying "it didnt feel forced to me", well of course it didn't, cuz you shipped it already! In a choice-based game, the

• edited May 2016

I didn't ship it at all until Ep. 3. I didn't see it coming. Then it happened and I loved it. It made so much sense to me that they'd started to trust each other and even gain an affinity for one another.

And I loved the older protective sister reaction from Fiona in Ep. 4 as well. None of it felt forced. It felt like the characters were developing.

And again, if this romance is forced, then they all are. Every single canon romance in history.

fayescarlet posted: »

All these Rhysha fans saying "it didnt feel forced to me", well of course it didn't, cuz you shipped it already! In a choice-based game, the

• agreed.

and let's not forget you control both characters in the game. it would almost certainly lead to a somewhat akward flirtation-scenario with yourself,

it is also harder to script as you would now have 2 variables with 4 possible outcomes rather than 1 variable and two outcomes.

rhys+/fiona+,
    rhys-/fiona+,
    rhys+/fiona-,
    rhys-/fiona-

vs
    rhys+
    rhys-
    and sasha adapting accordingly

I always figured Fiona for a much more secluded individual. Somewhat more of a loner. Plus their chemistry seems a bit more offbeat sibling-like rather than flirty. It'd make more sense that Rhys and Sasha would hook up rather than Fiona.

• If there would Be a Fiona Choice, instead of a Sasha One, Then it would Be Exactly as forced.

You know whats really frustrating? People, who are Rating a game higher/lower Because you don't have the Choice to romance someone else. Those People didnt get the Point of the Game. Which is sad.

• Helps you kill her.

Wolfenus54 posted: »

Secretly tries to kill Elsa in that GIF.

• If there would Be a Fiona Choice, instead of a Sasha One, Then it would Be Exactly as forced.

Not really, since you would be able to choose between the two. :P

GSSalvador posted: »

If there would Be a Fiona Choice, instead of a Sasha One, Then it would Be Exactly as forced. You know whats really frustrating? People,

• You are given a choice.

It just so happens the writers DID intend for one thing to happen, but you don't HAVE to do it.

If there would Be a Fiona Choice, instead of a Sasha One, Then it would Be Exactly as forced. Not really, since you would be able to choose between the two. :P

• edited May 2016

Even if you don't chose to do it some romance and akward flirting still happens. I'm not complaining since I chose to give Sasha the flower, but I can understand the frustration of someone who did not ship it. Imagine being forced to flirt with someone who you didn't like.

Anyway, I was only saying that if there was a Fiona choice it would be anything but forced since you would always have the option to take Sasha's path instead (and vice versa).

bossmanham posted: »

You are given a choice. It just so happens the writers DID intend for one thing to happen, but you don't HAVE to do it.

• People die, and a man doesn't choose who he loves. There are so many other things in this game that are "forced", like Vaughn's friendship with pretty much everyone, Rhys's admiration for a complete scumbag...Athena's relationship with Springs(my broken heart...), Scooter's rejection, and everyone's love for Gortys(everyone).

• i agree. Gortys was too kind to sellout Fiona to Yvette.

Hbh128 posted: »

People die, and a man doesn't choose who he loves. There are so many other things in this game that are "forced", like Vaughn's friendship w

• i agree.

Even if you don't chose to do it some romance and akward flirting still happens. I'm not complaining since I chose to give Sasha the flower,

• But that's the point. You're forced to do that all the time in other works of fiction. Think Harry Potter and all the grief that caused.

So yes, the writers intended for Rhysha to be a thing. But they gave the player a way out if they wanted. Instead of complaining about it being forced, why not appreciate that aspect of this interactive movie type of medium?

Even if you don't chose to do it some romance and akward flirting still happens. I'm not complaining since I chose to give Sasha the flower,

• Telltale games are really interactive movies with a slight ability to influence the direction and plot. At least we get something of a say in them.

People die, and a man doesn't choose who he loves. There are so many other things in this game that are "forced", like Vaughn's friendship w

• Not really, since you would be able to choose between the two. :P

Precisely :)

If there would Be a Fiona Choice, instead of a Sasha One, Then it would Be Exactly as forced. Not really, since you would be able to choose between the two. :P

• edited May 2016

Comparing romances to other fictions that have no choices made by the consumer is not a good way to compare. If you are playing a choice base game, you'd expect you could get out of a romantic relationship if you wanted, but instead it's a battle to get out of it.

bossmanham posted: »

But that's the point. You're forced to do that all the time in other works of fiction. Think Harry Potter and all the grief that caused.

• I point out the difference in my post. I'm contrasting the different types of fiction. I'm sorry not sorry that the writers chose what they did. Telltale games DON'T give you unlimited control. It's not Skyrim or Fallout. It's an interactive movie with limited influence on the plot.

Poogers555 posted: »

Comparing romances to other fictions that have no choices made by the consumer is not a good way to compare. If you are playing a choice bas

• Telltale knew that it would be such a cliche and obvious. It didn't seem forced though. The game doesn't end up with Rhys and Sasha falling in love.

• So where did Rhys and Fiona go after they opened the vault?

• Scripted doesnt mean forced. You just dont always get what you want.

• Nobody knows. Maybe Telltale is planning on making another game. There's no way they'd cut the story off there and call it finished. That would not be a smart move.

Anonymer posted: »

So where did Rhys and Fiona go after they opened the vault?

• If there's no Rhyiona choice, that's fine. I'm just angry that Rhys is basically forced into liking Sasha. I hated Sasha. In a game all about choice, they don't let us have the choice here.

• Could say the same about TWAU, but you can see how that's turned out.

Nobody knows. Maybe Telltale is planning on making another game. There's no way they'd cut the story off there and call it finished. That would not be a smart move.

• edited May 2016

I feel like the whole "the game is all about choice" excuse for hating telltale's direction with Rhysha ignores that a lot of the plot is predetermined anyways, and we just get to influence the branches they take. Rhys is still his own character, we didn't get to choose him to be an a hyperion jack-worshipping asshole in the beginning, but that's what he was. We get to choose if he continues to be. Similarly, we don't get to choose that Rhys had a physical attraction to Sasha - he always will. But we do get to choose if he develops that feeling further into a deeper emotional attraction. They just needed to establish that he cares for her in some way to make her death impactful for both player characters.

If you hate Sasha then you can choose not to treat her well. Rhys will still show obvious signs of physical attraction but since he'll be a douche to her then nothing will come out of it.

Gary-Oak posted: »

If there's no Rhyiona choice, that's fine. I'm just angry that Rhys is basically forced into liking Sasha. I hated Sasha. In a game all about choice, they don't let us have the choice here.

• Because it's Rhys' feelings not the players feelings. It's not like Dragon Age or Mass Effect where you get to choose who to date. Borderlands isn't a dating sim..I hate people treating it like it is. :l

• Gary-OakGary-Oak Banned
    edited May 2016

It's a valid "excuse". At the start of every telltale game they say how the story is tailored by the choices you make. In Walking Dead Season 1, you had characters that liked you, hated you. And characters that Lee hated or loved. And all of that depended on choices. Now in Tales From The Borderlands, we're all of a sudden forced to have a romance plot with some chick we barely even know? Sure, we're able to decide whether or not it "escalateS" past attraction, but being attracted to her should be up to the player in the first place.

LoseMyHome posted: »

I feel like the whole "the game is all about choice" excuse for hating telltale's direction with Rhysha ignores that a lot of the plot is pr

• I'm pretty sure that Larry hated you no matter what you did. Also by now we all know that choice is an illusion here don't we? It's scripted not forced that's the difference

It's a valid "excuse". At the start of every telltale game they say how the story is tailored by the choices you make. In Walking Dead Seaso

• I wouldn't say that Larry HATED Lee, but let's not discuss that now, not the purpose of the thread. Anyway, yes, the choices in these games are an illusion, so they should stop advertising that they actually mean something. Why do I even bother being a dick to Sasha is Rhys has a crush on her anyway? Might as well not write the other dialogue options.

Leluch123 posted: »

I'm pretty sure that Larry hated you no matter what you did. Also by now we all know that choice is an illusion here don't we? It's scripted not forced that's the difference

• edited May 2016

Damn dog, you are going to hurt these shippers in the feels. But you are correct...I play these games for a number of reasons...dating sim is not one of them.

• precisely my point

It's a valid "excuse". At the start of every telltale game they say how the story is tailored by the choices you make. In Walking Dead Seaso

• The romance with Sasha was weird (for me) because I only see her as a friend, a really good one, maybe even as a little sister. And, yes, I felt like it was forced on me (Rhys) and I didn't like it at all. It wasn't subtle and I didn't feel any romantic chemistry between this two.

Scripted doesn't mean forced. You just don't always get what you want. / Rhys is still his own character.

Exactly. I played for the story. But the awkward flirting made me really uncomfortable. And, I hear you, yes, we could choose to keep it friendly. With the flower thing and even before. But in the chapter 5 the flirting was still here. Why ? I didn't made a single move on Sasha in the previous chapter.

So, as always, choices aren't real choices... And maybe that's what people are pointing at. Maybe that's why they felt like it was forced after all.

Despite that, I loved the game so so much. Can't wait for season 2. And maybe things will be a little more opened ;)

• Flirting? On episode 5???

You mean like the hug and such?? What, Rhys can't suddenly have any physical contact with anybody? Rhys hugged Vaughn when he saw him again too. That was 100% forced on all the players despite how you treated Vaughn because its part of the cutscene, unlike the hug he gives to Sasha, that is damn optional.

The 'i missed you' line is also optional? Silence is a valid option... or even better, choose another option!

I have to admit, 'the healing tears' line whas cringe-y as hell but c'mon! Sasha is dying right in front of him! He is seeing his crush slowly die?! What, he cannot show emotions towards anyone?

And near the end you can either confirm that Rhys loves Sasha, or that he doesn't and it ends on just being a crush, or even confirming that he likes someone else? And as Fiona you can either accept it or deny it??

And since you say you see Sasha only as a little sister, or very good friends, can't siblings hug? can't best friends miss each other? can't a brother mourn his dying sister? a best friend can't mourn their dying friend? Unless you really, really like incest i dont see why while you believe Sasha is a little sister to Rhys(and so, a sister to you), you also believe all their interactions are flirting.

Those are the only instances in Episode 5 where i can think there was hinted flirting? (thats a weak af flirt game Rhys has...) but then again, if you truly believed Sasha was only a sister to you why do you believe their interactions are flirting?

The only other instances i believe there is flirting is on that scene in Episode 3, in the dome where Sasha notices Rhys is oogling her and she calls him out for that, and yet, you have the option to decide what to say, and the whole jungle scene, but still, you have the option of telling Sasha the jungle is beautiful and not romantic, that Rhys didnt wanted her to die, and you can either give her or not give her the flower. The pinky promise? Optional, and siblings or friends can pinky promise.

Devika posted: »

The romance with Sasha was weird (for me) because I only see her as a friend, a really good one, maybe even as a little sister. And, yes, I

• TBH all this "calling out telltale for making rhysha forced" discourse boils down to people not wanting Rhys and Sasha to have any sort or interaction between each other at all, because if it was really because "its forced" then people would call out telltale for forcing Rhys to have a friendship with Vaughn and Gortys, they would call out telltale for forcing Rhys to deal with Handsome Jack, they would call for out absolutely every choice the game has because they dont want to play it like that.

Flirting? On episode 5??? You mean like the hug and such?? What, Rhys can't suddenly have any physical contact with anybody? Rhys hugged

• I don't see the hug like a flirt. Rhys is happy to see her. But Sasha has feeling for Rhys and I didn't want to be awkward. I try to kept everything purely friendly between this two but in ep.5 it's clear there is still feelings in the air.

Unless you really, really like incest i don't see why while you believe Sasha is a little sister to Rhys (and so, a sister to you), you also believe all their interactions are flirting.

I know I have some trouble speaking English but I have NEVER said that all their interactions were flirting. Of course friends and siblings can hug ;) I'm totally ok with that.

TBH all this "calling out telltale for making rhysha forced" discourse boils down to people not wanting Rhys and Sasha to have any sort or interaction between each other at all.

Ah, not at all. But it's like with Vaugh. If you're mean to him, the hug is still here. Rhys still like him. And it bother me too. For Jack, I think it's a different matter. Jack is stuck in Rhys head so, we have to deal with him.

But I hear you. I understand what you're explaining to me. I understand your position. Maybe the right word isn't "forced". It's not a Dragon Age or a Witcher. I know that my choices doesn't have any real impacts on the story or the characters. So, I can't be disappointed.

• maybe even as a little sister.

Oh god not this statement again. Y'know I saw this in the Gayperion tag and the Rhyiona tag (twice) and I cringed so much. I'm not going to even bother commenting much on that other than that must be a really weird brother/sister relationship you're viewing there.

And, yes, I felt like it was forced on me (Rhys) and I didn't like it at all.

I'm can't say much about the episode 3 moment, because it didn't make me feel uncomfortable nor did I find it painful to watch, however I say that as someone who doesn't really ship Rhysha that much, but I can at least get why you didn't enjoy it.

And, I hear you, yes, we could choose to keep it friendly. With the flower thing and even before. But in the chapter 5 the flirting was still here.

Just because Rhys and Sasha had interactions during episode 5 doesn't mean it has to be romantic in the players eyes, it could still be considered platonic. Not every interaction between them was flirtatious or romantic. It could be Rhys hugging his friend - keep in mind he hasn't seen for a long time - just like he did with Vaughn earlier on. Also later in the episode she's dying right in front of him, you expect after all of those moments in previous episodes - whether they was platonic or romantic - he's not going to cry over it?

If Telltale was really pushing the whole thing to be romantic, I'm pretty sure the option to say you like someone else or to just clarify they are friends wouldn't even been there, probably a long with Fiona being able to disapprove of their relationship too.

Devika posted: »

The romance with Sasha was weird (for me) because I only see her as a friend, a really good one, maybe even as a little sister. And, yes, I

• edited May 2016
    1. Fiona saying she can get Sasha, Rhys gets excited
    2. Rhys awkwardly asking where Sasha is
    3. Hug that happens based on a choice that shouldn't effect it, and Rhys acts upset
    4. Every option after the hug is awkward/flirty
    5. Fiona will always act unconformable about the hug

I think people dont like the whole romance thing because its so awkwardly. Honestly I feel Tales would have been better if they never got themselves involved in a romance plot. Even if you don't want a romance at all, you're still awkwardly put in the situation and it never ends. Saying you dont "need" to choose the flirty options isnt very helpful either because half of them are just awkward or still allude to flirting. "This jungle is beautiful" is one.

What Im saying is, plenty of Rhys and Sasha interactions that could have been taken romantically should have ended based on the flower choice, some of them should have been easy to not include based on that choice, like episode 5 when Rhys gets excited hearing that Fiona can get Sasha.

Flirting? On episode 5??? You mean like the hug and such?? What, Rhys can't suddenly have any physical contact with anybody? Rhys hugged

• In my humble opinnion, the real reason the game focuses more on Rhys and Sasha developing a romantic realationship with each other (apart from the fact that it's a semi-interactive choice based game) is that the game itself negates the progress of Rhys and Fiona realtionship for two main reasons:

1- Both are playable characters : this is a problem in itself more for players that like to feel like they are the character that are controlling while playing. If you are that kind of player, you might be feeling like you are talking to yourself wich is akward, even more if the characters are flirting.

2- The story itself : Correct me if I'm wrong but, isn't the whole point of the game to play and read the same history/tale from two differents viewpoints?
    I mean, if both characters who are the two viewpoints stay together, the game loses its own main purpose, thanks to this, the time that Rhys and Fiona are together is minimmal, and for a very valid reason.

Honestly, I'm quite surprised Telltale even made a small "I like someone else" option, however I would've preferred if they didn't have put romance in the history, altough in the end I suppose it's a good thing since it made people talk about the game more.

Honestly I feel Tales would have been better if they never got themselves involved in a romance plot.

Thank god I'm not the only one who thinks that !

• Well, for the talking to yourself part, you do that at the end of the game, it constantly goes back and forth, and I dont think anyone complained that it was awkward or strange, it actually flowed very nicely.

Also, if they did get involved more involved with a Rhys and Fiona option, going back and fourth probably would be awkward, but they could honestly just make it so you play as one for that particular scene, like in episode 3 if you trusted Fiona, you are alone with Rhys and you interact with him, and once again, no one saw it awkward or strange.

Luisma0000 posted: »

In my humble opinnion, the real reason the game focuses more on Rhys and Sasha developing a romantic realationship with each other (apart fr

• Seriously, people dont want Rhys to interact with Sasha at all, and you are being waay too transparent at it.

1 & 2 Again, can't he get happy to know that Sasha is alive and doing well? Can't he ask where is she? Can he not miss her at all??? You dont necessarily need to be in love to care for someone.

3 As for the hug, the choice of ruling-rejecting hyperion does validates the hug, because Sasha sees Rhys either as a friend or as a "traitor", why would she hug a traitor?!

4 Almost everything Rhys does and says is awkward.(That's his character. He is a fish away from the water on Pandora.) Why wouldn't he be akward with Sasha? He also was akward with Vaughn on episode 2 to the point almost all the options were actually cheesy pick up lines (shirtless Vaughn scene).

5 Thats- Thats the whole idea of Rhys and Sasha's friendship? Their friendship and/or relationship is only comic value to the game, devs keep saying that. They just wanted Fiona's character to be the contrary of Rhys, also it goes perfectly right to her character to not like Rhys being close to her little sister either as friend or lover. She is the protective big sis trope. And you still have the option to accept it or deny it at the end of ep5.

I understand you, you dont want the romance and thats cool, the problem is, not wanting the romance and the friendship because again, you see them as friends/siblings/acquaintances but you see all of their interactions as flirting. Rhys can still care lots for Sasha as friends and confirm they like someone else on the same play. The discourse is not wanting Rhys to be anything to Sasha because -your reasons here- and that's why the whole "forced" thing doesnt works, because you can be her friend and be super cheesy to her and admit you like someone else (Fiona or Vaughn). The "forced" thing is, everything is forced on the game, every choice you are forced to do, choose from only 4 options, you are forced to play as Rhys and Fiona... everything is "forced", everything is rigged, because the script is like that, so when someone conveniently says "its forced" only to Rhys and Sasha's friendship, they actually mean, "i dont want Rhys to have any interaction with Sasha" at all because they will always see it as flirting, even when it isnt.

Poogers555 posted: »

* Fiona saying she can get Sasha, Rhys gets excited * Rhys awkwardly asking where Sasha is * Hug that happens based on a choice that shoul

• What I'm saying is there are plenty of interactions between them that happen that can just be plain annoying if you don't want them to have a romantic situation. It wasn't until episode 3 where Rhys actually started getting awkward for no reason towards Sasha, before that he can go threatening to kill her and demands to drive caravan. The episode 4 intro, Rhys and Sasha always stare at each other, obviously in a "romantic" way, that happens no matter what, and its truly annoying if you didn't give her the flower and these interactions are still happening. Not to mention Tales did a great job with choices and impacts compared to other Telltale games, why is this romance the one thing that I truly feel like my choices dont matter.

Its kind of like Kenny from Walking Dead. In season 1 you can form alot of different bonds between Kenny, from liking to disliking. There is no relationship level like that with Rhys and Sasha. Also, in season 2, Kenny is basically presented as your friend, no matter what choices you made or make. For me being a Kenny fan, I obviously didn't mind, but people who aren't complained about how they feel like they are always stuck with Kenny when they dont want to be, no matter what choices they make. Infact most people say they felt "forced" to be with Kenny, and people agree, however, unlike what it seems to be with Rhys and Sasha, no one complains that Kenny is not "forced" and that he's "scripted" and how the writers wanted it. So apparently when it comes to Walking Dead and Kenny, its okay to say that he is forced and annoying, and all Telltale's fault, but if you say the same thing for Rhys and Sasha, its not forced. I really dont get it.

Seriously, people dont want Rhys to interact with Sasha at all, and you are being waay too transparent at it. 1 & 2 Again, can't he g

Sign in to comment in this discussion.