Do you like or dislike Daenerys Targaryen?

Title says it all.

I hate her. She's naive, annoying, arrogant, big-headed, full of herself, and uses her dragons to intimidate people. So goddamn stupid. And what she did to Jorah...AFTER ALL HE DID FOR HER!!!

Comments

• You mean when he spied on her? And as of Sunday's episode she is in vicious queen mode.

• I stand by my opinion. And you can stand by yours. Deal?

You mean when he spied on her? And as of Sunday's episode she is in vicious queen mode.

• Personally Im not a fan, In the books and the show.

• I like her better in the show. I don't really enjoy her chapters in the books that much.

Daenerys is a character you can like and dislike. And you can have a different view of her. On one hand to those who has earned her respect and show loyalty, she is genuinely kind and rewarding. On the other hand to those who are her enemy, she is ruthless, unreasonable and arrogant. As a ruler she is kindhearted, sympathic and reasonable to those who are mistreated such as slaves or seemingly trustworthy person. But she is also naive and hasty in her actions and in her attempt to do some good, she might accidentally cause damage.

So all in all, Daenerys is a very flawed but good person. At least that how I view her.

• I'm more or less neutral. I think she is an interesting character, and I'm actually invested in her story at the moment. I don't think she is a very good ruler, but her best quality as a ruler is that she is very good at presenting herself as a god-like figure. That certainly inspires people, so with wise and skilled advisors (looking at you Tyrion) she could indeed make a good Queen.

I understand why some people don't like her, or why they wont root for her. However, the disregarding of her storyline's importance (especially now that it's starting to resolve) feels short-sighted to me, and complaining about her being OP or something like that is just annoying. The point of her character is basically to be half human, half god. Not literally of course, but that's how people are supposed to see her.

• Heavily dislike her. While I understand she's "important", she does practically nothing for me. I despise her arrogance, and she feels so far removed from everything happening in Westeros that I sometimes tend to forget about her.

Having said that, I do wonder how things will go down if/when she finally does make it to Westeros.

• I don't hate her. I'm just kind of tired of her. I can sympathize with a lot of her decisions, even when they're not ones I agree with, but then there are ones that I feel are "one step forward, two steps back" as far as plot and character arc goes. I don't really look forward to her story anymore because it's just become a little predictable or tedious to me, and there aren't many characters or relationships she surrounds herself with that captivate me either, other than Tyrion.

I don't get the hate for how she treats Jorah though. To this point I think she's been merciful considering what he did. I think it's a little ridiculous to expect her to develop romantic feelings for him still.

• edited May 2016

I stand no grudge for her in the books; mainly for Barristan there, but it's not the chapters I hype for.

But in show? It's Goddamn Jesus Christ. They whitewashed some characters in the show which gave another interpretation for characters, some being interesting (example: Tywin) but Daenerys have everything with her; when she makes mistakes she has no "penality" while for others characters it's a mistake which leads to their deaths. They try to make her badass in every scene but it fails imo.

Not to forget the fireproof thing.

• I don't like her as a character, she think she can have whatever she wants just because of her surname, her story is interesting but if the ending of GoT is her in the Iron Throne it would be a real shit, she know nothing about ruling, she just think that because you have an army you are a good ruler.

• Well I don't hate her, but she is annoying for me to watch. I think she could have been better, but they made her a static character, and that innatural way of walking or talking makes her even more annoying. Now I realized that she could be like the mad king, as when she feeds people to her dragons, that scene was awful.

• @Euron Well said, bruh :)

Euron posted: »

I stand no grudge for her in the books; mainly for Barristan there, but it's not the chapters I hype for. But in show? It's Goddamn Jesus

• I like her better with Tyrion as her adviser. Her story fluctuates between interesting and extraordinarily dull for me. Up until the death of Kal Drogo, she was a favorite of mine. It was an interesting view into a different part of the world, and an alien culture. Afterwards, she became the queen on a mission to never reach the other characters. Her story became that of a cycle : gain enough power to take the iron throne - lose the numbers she had gained - lose the transportation she had gained ( she's had the ability to have ships to reach the West twice? ) - and then it returns to gain enough power to take the iron throne.

• She is not the Prince that was promised.

She is interesting, and somewhat inspiring. I guess inspiring in the ways that Mel's magic is inspiring. I feel like she is important only because her dragons are important. I think she will die a heros death, but I'll be very annoyed to see her rule Westeros. If it weren't for her dragons and her name, she'd be dead already. Unlike some characters who've shown great resilience with little to no help (Sansa is the One True Queen now)

If she survives she only deserves to go back to Slavers Bay with her army, but she has no claim to the throne anymore. The throne will belong to the Prince that was Promised's Sister.

• I like Daenery, she is very inspiring.

She has made some mistakes, but so has everyone. She is young and new to ruling, but she is learning. She may be ruthless to her foes, but she is kind to those who are loyal

• I do like Dany, not by what she is right now but for what she could become. She has a formidable sense of justice and does inspire people as a ruler, except that she is not. Daenerys Targaryen is a ruler apprentice, and who teaches you how to rule? No one. She has ruled, she has raised dragons, no one can be too prepared. I was actually expecting much more mistakes coming from her. Mhysa is no big deal now, but she certainly is on her way. I can easily see a future where she becomes a warrior as did her ancestors long ago. So I am not saying that she is the greatest character in the story, all I am saying is: just give the girl a break.

• I like her, and I think she's unfairly hated upon. She's not one of my favorites, though.

And I just wish she would sail already for Westeros. If it's not this season, I'm going to give up on life.

• I love Daenarys! <3

Though I admit she's a bit overpraised. But she's also unfairlly hated on.

• Yeah Jorah did a lot for her but he still betrayed her. Anyone else would've had him executed.

• The issue a lot of people have is that he didnt betray her at all, he went in siding with the crown.If anything he betrayed them.

AgentZ46 posted: »

Yeah Jorah did a lot for her but he still betrayed her. Anyone else would've had him executed.

• This is true but he never said anything so it's a little hard to accept his word at that point.

The issue a lot of people have is that he didnt betray her at all, he went in siding with the crown.If anything he betrayed them.

• Granted, that Jorah was known for his slave fiasco at the time and I'm pretty sure he'd do anything to get on the good side of the crown.

Even have a teenage girl murdered. I'm pretty sure Jorah missed his papa. I was hoping myhsa would understand and not be herself in that situation. By herself I mean a reactionary ruler

I love Daenarys! Though I admit she's a bit overpraised. But she's also unfairlly hated on.

• Jorah just wanted Daenerys booty, wait sorry 'Love'

Yeah Jorah did a lot for her but he still betrayed her. Anyone else would've had him executed.

• I like her, just wish she'd go to westeros soon

• ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Jorah just wanted Daenerys booty, wait sorry 'Love'

• She's okay. I'm really not invested too much into her story though. But I will say having her separated from Westeros makes us solely focus on governance rather than plotting and scheming from ruling houses, which is pretty good for diverse story.

• edited May 2016

She has a formidable sense of justice

Feeding people to her dragon while she doesn't know if they're guilty is sure a strong sense of justice. Sacking cities is strong sense of justice aswell.

and who teaches you how to rule? No one.

So does every characters then. And they do less errors.

she has raised dragons

Are we talking about the ones she put chains on, or the one who eat child for breakfast?

Chusets posted: »

I do like Dany, not by what she is right now but for what she could become. She has a formidable sense of justice and does inspire people as

• Like @DaveTheArakin said

So all in all, Daenerys is a very flawed but good person. At least that how I view her.

I'm also neutral. She has some good sides and bad sides. I might not always support her but she's very young, almost a child, so I can relate to Dany and I'm actually easy on her.

• Alright then... lets explain something about character construction shall we? Each character have something that drive them, a motivation, in Dany's case I think it is safe to say that her final goal is to rule the Seven Kingdoms. Now, something really interesting about the Targaryen girl is that we can not know for sure HOW she will rule (if it comes to that of course). She could even turn out to be the "Mad Queen" for what we know. But, my point here is: What do you think about it? Will she try to be a good leader or not? If you ask anyone, the answer will probably be "Yes." So... she DOES have a lot of mistakes on her back, things that she really regrets, as I stated before. She is learning though, which is more than you can say about a lot of other characters. Now to answer your arguments:

1- Yes, she has a formidable sense of justice, but wait, are you looking for someone who has no blood on his hands? Kinda hard when it comes to GOT do not you think?

2- I am pretty sure that the characters whom by what you say, "do less errors" do not have to make half the decisions she has to.

3- She DID raise them, how would YOU raised them? I am sorry mate, I really do not mean to be sarcastic here but, it is not like there is a manual for that sort of thing.

She has a formidable sense of justice Feeding people to her dragon while she doesn't know if they're guilty is sure a strong sense o

• I like her. Over the show she has turned into a ruthless leader and always fights to get her way.

• She's ok, I just don't want her to obtain the Iron Throne. Westeros is really not that worth it. Can't she just build an empire of sorts in Essos?

• I'm pretty sure I'm in the minority when I say that I absolutely despise her.

The final scene of the latest episode made me dislike her even more. She enjoyed that massacre way too much.

People make her out to be this inspirational character. Someone who's noble, honorable, heroic, and badass.

I don't agree at all. I think she's extremely arrogant, immature, idiotic, and ill-prepared to rule. Not to mention a murderer. (Though pretty much everyone in GoT has killed, so that part of my argument is pretty shit. Despite this, Daenerys has killed people she really didn't have to. The latest episode is a perfect example.)

If she wins the Iron Throne, I'm gonna be pretty pissed.

• I want her on the throne. I feel like she's matured enough from the naive girl she was in season 1 to a real queen that knows that sometimes are not enough.
    I want her to have the throne, because who else would be suitable for it but her? Tommen? Margaery? Jon Snow?

• Despite this, Daenerys has killed people she really didn't have to. The latest episode is a perfect example.

You mean the people who were about to gang rape her and then give her to their horses?

• Because you think some people try to be a bad leader? Good intention doesn't have a meaning if there's not a plan about it. What does she regret by the way?

1- Out of subject. She gave justice (murder of Barristan) by feeding them to the dragon. So no, you can't say "blood on the hands" and "strong sense of justice", it's basically not the same.

2- I could mention Robb, Jon, Stannis, Aegon, at the same age. I'm pretty sure there are others. Then again, what decisions did she take, since it seems a lot?

3- She doesn't raise them dude. She put them in a cave, leaving them to grew wildly. There's knowledge about it, I'm pretty sure Jorah talks about it and maesters write about it too; putting them in a cave don't make them grow normally.

Chusets posted: »

Alright then... lets explain something about character construction shall we? Each character have something that drive them, a motivation, i

• That is not what I meant. See, having good or bad intentions is something that is not even important (at least not for me, not in GOT) when talking about the characters. What I was stating is that, the girl is not a nightmare. Why do you think Varys is on her side? And no mate, no one tries to be a bad leader (in fact some do, but lets go easy on you) look, all I am saying is, there are/were a lot of "want-bo-be-king/queen" on this story, and The Mother Of Dragons is in fact one of the few in this category whom you can wait some good from. I am sure she regrets letting that child be killed for instance, which is why she imprisioned her dragons. Now, of course imprisioning them was a major error, but not one she could be accountable of.

1- Of course it is the same sometimes. Eddard Stark, Robert Stark, Jon Snow, are all good examples.

2- Robb and Stannis HAVE committed more errors. But that is alright, it is your opinion then. A lot of decisions actually, remember, Robb, Stannis, Jon, Aegon they were all in a defined place, with defined rules, but Dany is redifining Essos (Slaver's Bay) and she has dragons, only the amount of decisions that you have to take by that should be enough for you.

3- I said that she raised them, never said she did it perfectly. Look mate, I actually agree with you, everybody knows that putting the dragons in that cave was a huge mistake, but she DID raise them, what? She was not with them before the cave process? You have to notice that, the very decision of putting them in a cave, that is she raising them mate, she decided to put them there, that is because they are "her's" so yeah, whether you like it or not, or wether she is doing it the right or the wrong way, she DOES raise them. Now, I REALLY think that even if there is some previous knowledge about it, knowledge about a long time ago, we should not be judging her by how she raises the giant mythological deadly creatures.

Because you think some people try to be a bad leader? Good intention doesn't have a meaning if there's not a plan about it. What does she re

• Any of them, I would think. Even the cook.

MsDanceALot posted: »

I want her on the throne. I feel like she's matured enough from the naive girl she was in season 1 to a real queen that knows that sometimes

• [removed]

• To be fair, th khan wanted her to stay in the temple, it was after what she told the guys that got them all pissed at her.

Despite this, Daenerys has killed people she really didn't have to. The latest episode is a perfect example. You mean the people who were about to gang rape her and then give her to their horses?

• I agree, she feels strong just because she's got dragons and she's fireproof. I hope that she either stays in Essos or gets her ass kicked while fighting for the throne.

• Vice versa, she only burned them after the threats of raping.

To be fair, th khan wanted her to stay in the temple, it was after what she told the guys that got them all pissed at her.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.