RATE BATMAN - The Telltale Series - EP 1 (SPOILER FREE)

Comments

• RATE BATMAN

0/10

Game just not working on PC (15-20fps almost).

• edited August 2016

Bruce is getting better like when you meet Selina and Harvey but I really like playing as the Bat as it feels so right in this game and just not outrageous button mashing moves .

Poogers555 posted: »

Id give it a solid 9/10. Voice acting is amazing, and the story is very well crafted. I do wish the episode went a little longer because it sort of just ends. Also, I dont know if Im the only one, but I loved playing as Bruce, even more than Batman.

• I'm annoyed too, but save your rating for when its fixed.

Murmle22 posted: »

RATE BATMAN 0/10 Game just not working on PC (15-20fps almost).

• Took me over 2 hours, but that's mainly because the game ran so fucking slow. But even then, the episode was a pretty good length.

So how long is the episode?

• With how the game ran for me: 3/10

For the actual episode: 9/10. The voice acting was great, the choices seemed to have impact, the detective scene reminded me a lot of the Arkham games, while still feeling like it was Telltale, and it sets up a great series.

• OzzyUKOzzyUK Moderator

I really enjoyed the game, i obviously won't spoil anything but i really liked the way the newer QTEs worked, i enjoyed the story and i am looking forward to seeing where things go. 9/10

• That was amazing.

I like the Batman they're showing us.

10/10

• I'm going to write up a thread that goes into more detail soon, but right now? 3/10.

I had low expectations from the get-go, but this solidified things for me. Terrible graphics, a pretty remarkable downgrade from TWD Season 2, TWAU, and TFTB. Cringe-inducing glitches. A storyline that, unlike most Telltale games, made me lose interest quite a few times. Awkward, cliche dialogue and scenes.

Overall, it just gives the unusual impression that Telltale can't afford to do better. I'm not going to refund it, but trust me when I say very I'm reluctant in that decision.

• Strong 9/10.

Enjoyed the story, the characters, and especially the combat. Aside from some minor technical difficulties in the beginning, I am very happy in my purchase.

• It was a really good introductionary episode, I enjoyed it even more than I thought I would. Especially loved the detective part. I had some minor technical difficulties, but it wasn't nothing serious.

9/10, can't wait for another episode!

• Yes, it seems to be very early in the Batman era in case that makes you more interested in it.

MosesARose posted: »

For those who watched it, do you think it's worth the buy for someone who's not really a fan of batman? I love TT games, not really batman. Though I do like the villains, and the universe.

• Those are pretty great scores?

Tolispro posted: »

Hmmm. People here seem to love it while all the reviews online are giving this a 7-8.. interesting.

• 0/10 for now. I simply can't get over the buzz saw lines covering half of the screen, not to mention the drops in frame rates. I'll play it when the patch come out.

Way to go TT follow Ubisoft footsteps....time to go play some Tales or Wolf...

• Oh god! Are you one of few people that actually understood the joke? Thank Christ man

IDredMan posted: »

You won't believe how hard I was laughing after this.

• edited August 2016

I played the game on PC without any problems. ( steam)

Amazing. I really enjoyed both the Bruce and the Batman parts. However, I feel like the episodes should be 3 hours long (yeah, ain't gonna happen.) so we get enough time with BOTH Bruce and Batman. I really liked playing as the playboy Bruce Wayne, especially when talking to the press or Falcone. From what the first episode has shown, your choices really seem to have an impact on the opinion of the city about Bruce and of the police about both Bruce and Batman. The QTE's are faster now and there are combos, the combat is really brutal and fast paced (for a telltale game.). One good addition is the detective "puzzle/minigame" and I hope telltale uses it in the next episodes as well as long as they make the puzzles a bit harder that will take you a good amount of minutes to solve. Voice acting is good, I really love Falcone's voice, it gives me the chills. Troy baker's bruce wayne voice is okay, the batman voice is much different than the ones that we're used to but I dig it. As far as freedom of choices go, I was impressed and happy. The game gives you all the choices that you could ask for and they all seem to have an impact to the story. You can be the rich playboy Bruce Wayne that doesn't really care about anyone or you can be a more caring and badass Bruce. Once the cowl is on, you can be a forgiving Batman who shows mercy or a more brutal caped crusader.

Rating: 9/10

• 9\10
    I wasn't sure what to expect, but in the end it turned out to be a pretty decent episode. I'm hooked. Waiting for continuation.
    Violent Batman is a badass

• I was wondering what the hell those buzz saw lines were, they were on everything. The cars, the doors, the walls, it was infuriating. What the hell causes something like that?

Leluch123 posted: »

0/10 for now. I simply can't get over the buzz saw lines covering half of the screen, not to mention the drops in frame rates. I'll play it when the patch come out. Way to go TT follow Ubisoft footsteps....time to go play some Tales or Wolf...

• A couple of technical issues, one where the game just completely crap out on me. But other than that....good start, hopefully I can say the same for the next episodes. OZ is already becoming my favorite character! 8.5/10

• I would give it a seven...

• I'd give it a solid 9/10.

Really enjoyed it, especially the Bruce sections. Were a few occasional frame rate drops during fights but nothing too bad.

Can't wait for the next episode.

• 8.5/10, enjoyable episode that feels like a fresh but also familiar version of Batman.

• edited August 2016

I was surprised that I could get into Batman without having any previous information on the franchise. Other than the fact that he dresses as a bat.

The characters are interesting up to this point, and there is action along with humor throughout the episode. I suppose I am not going to ever mention morality when talking about the characters, since Wayne himself is not the best when in comes to it.

I like the tone of the story a lot!

• I don't really like Batman (nor any superhero movie / game / comic for that matter) so that might affect my opinion on it.

I got the game `cause I was curious and I was eager to play a new Telltale game, I didn't have high expectations for it and I wasn't hyped for it, I played it on PC with an xbox controller, it ran at around 40 fps, sometimes 60 even though my PC is capable enough to run it but I didn't notice any lag spikes or performance drop like others said.

The QTE segments were so much better from previous titles, having to press different directions + RT or random buttons proved to be a bit challenging for me but I only died once.

Through this game I started to like Batman even though I never showed any interes in him, I played sorta like an evil Batman and really enjoyed it.

The story is not super strong nor super weak, it's good and it seemed like choices mattered (don't really know, only played through it once and we all know the illusion of choice in TT games), people judging me after a decision was really nice and I felt how the choices I made weren't really right

The gameplay part of the game is also good, the detective sequence was really nice and it also took me a little while to figure it out, the fight scenes are satisfying and well done, I loved how at the end you had to plan your approach.

I didn't really get hooked into the story, mostly because I'm not familiar with this dimension (The Batman story) so for me during the dialogues it was pretty meh, I enjoyed solving the crime and fighting dudes better.

Overall I'd give it something like an 7.5/8, meaning it's pretty good game, probably something more for Batman fans

• 7/10, not bad.

• A 7.5 from me. If it weren't for some awful technical issues, like pop ins, screen tearing, and terrible scene transistions that TT games suffer from, plus a major choice not mattering at all then it would be a 9. Graphics were (for the most part) absolutely beautiful. Voice acting was top notch, even if they were very familiar. It had EVERYTHING a Batman game should have. Awrsome QTE fighting sequences, neat detective mode segments, and getting to know the amazing characters in Gotham on a personal level. All this episode needs is one hell of an update and I'd be happy, but knowing TT this will be the standard hence forth.

• Yeah, that's my major issue, the technical problems really are holding this back tremendously. Honestly, it sort of feels a tad....unfinished in a few areas.

DoubleJump posted: »

A 7.5 from me. If it weren't for some awful technical issues, like pop ins, screen tearing, and terrible scene transistions that TT games su

• When is Batman The Telltale series coming out for Android and Google play

• plus a major choice not mattering at all

I was bothered by this, too, although we never know if Telltale is going to throw a curve and have that decision affect the story later on in the following episodes.

DoubleJump posted: »

A 7.5 from me. If it weren't for some awful technical issues, like pop ins, screen tearing, and terrible scene transistions that TT games su

• I thought it was a solid first episode! The action sequences have certainly improved and I really liked that detective scene. Really enjoying Troy's voice work as Bruce too. I'm definitely interested to see where the plot goes.

• 10/10 i really like it! its amazing! i cant wait for the rest!

• Hmm thx for this convient thread. On a scale of 1 to 10 this is a 9 to me. Can't reveal why it's not 10 here. (spoilers) But I had a blast an was entertained. Which would be the point! Good start,now comes the hard part. Keep it up TT:)

• Unfinished ? really? what are you playing this on? This is the most "finished "TTG first Ep of a Season I've played since Wolf Among Us ep 1. I didn't notice much in the way of frame drops or anything. I'm on Xbone and everything is fine here! Not even that surprised some are having issues. "That's just how TTG gaming go!" Win some loose some! I'm sure a patch is comeing for you and others. Hang in there!

J-Master posted: »

Yeah, that's my major issue, the technical problems really are holding this back tremendously. Honestly, it sort of feels a tad....unfinished in a few areas.

• I think the episode looks great and ran well enough on my PS4 but the frame rate overall was inconsistent and hindered my overall enjoyment just a tad bit along with some other minor twitches.

Unfinished ? really? what are you playing this on? This is the most "finished "TTG first Ep of a Season I've played since Wolf Among Us ep

• From what I know those line are ,,positioning" the character in space. SO it won't fall off through the floor or go through the walls, but they're supposed to be invisible...

I was wondering what the hell those buzz saw lines were, they were on everything. The cars, the doors, the walls, it was infuriating. What the hell causes something like that?

• Overall, I enjoyed the episode. I like the art style, the voice acting is good for the most part and the action is pretty badass. But for things I didn't like...

• The batman voice here is more laughable than Christian Bale's, it just sounds really... wrong.
    • Penguin here is not Penguin. I enjoy the character presented, but I'd never guess he was the Penguin outside of him having the name Oswald Copplepot.
    • Th twist at the end, while good, feels like it should of been saved for much later.
  • Excerpts from my video review:

"I have to say the detective scene and the scene where Batman looks for the most effective way to work through the guards denotes a severe lack of meaningful interactivity and choice that is still unfortunately a typical hallmark of Telltale Games. It’s not that they’re BAD it’s just that they’re empty. Showing no real ability for YOU the player to deduce what’s happening or decide on how to go about taking out the guards, it’s all simply a dressed up version of connect the dots which is a shame. I WANTED the opportunity to use my own brain to try and figure things out. To use MY deductive reasoning to figure out what’s actually a clue and what is superfluous information, but you’re just not given that opportunity here and that is a real shame."

"there have been numerous reports and player reviews on the Steam page stating that a lot of people’s gameplay suffered from stuttering, 10 frames per second or less, and some people even reported having issues adjusting the graphics settings. Now, I experienced none of these issues outside of that one with the codex which I did see at least one other person leave a review on Steam stating they had the same issue so it is repeatable. However, Telltale did put a disclaimer on the store page stating “If you are experiencing performance issues, you may need to update the graphics card drivers to the latest available. If you are using a laptop, please use your dedicated graphics and not intel integrated graphics.”
    All in all, however, this is a very standard Telltale Games offering, which is the first of 5 installments of what is shaping up to be a fantastic Batman visual novel. Phenomenally well written, superbly voice acted, and in keeping with the Batman Lore, this game is a must-own for lovers of the Batman Story."

See my full Critique here:

• So my main issue of this episode, is the frame-rate. If the gameplay didn't felt so chucky, lagging and un-optimized, I would have a much more better experiences and enjoyment of the game. I'll see how my big PC back at home can handle this, but right now, this bug down the game a lot of me.

With that said, I really love the story and the characters. The writing and voice acting is great. I enjoy the dialogue that Bruce have with the characters. The sheer strength of it keeps it from being a total let down for me.

I give it a 7/10, but it would have been perfect if the frame-rate wasn't so terrible.

• edited August 2016

I'm almost Batman-ed out and I'm a huge fan.

I'm about 90min into the episode and so far, I love it. I'm choosing more of the comic style Batman, where you're treading a line, but I love that you can be asshole Batman if you want(probably for another playthrough).

I'm feeling there's a little too many QTE during fights for me. I've never been a fan and don't find frantic button mashing engaging, so if I can't control the character, I'd prefer to have QTE relegated to stuff like dodge(Y), punch(A), grab(B) etc. Where it's like you're playing with set buttons instead of this UDRL combo thing going on and it's over pretty quickly(I don't like the perspective button graphics either). That's my opinion though.

I find the story great and I'm really enjoying it. The detective stuff is good too. This is pretty much the game I was hoping for so far.

If you know me and my history here...

This is a GLOWING endorsement. I did encounter one possible issue with the game. I made a choice and the following discussion obviously recognised it, but when the scene changed, another character was talking like I made a different decision. I probably won't find out til later if there was a glitch or if it was just the writing, trying to be more ambiguous than it turned out to be.

-- Playing the PC version on a system superfluously overpowered for the game engine used --
    -- No other technical issues encountered --

• Awesome! Great to know that you're enjoying it :D

Johro posted: »

I'm almost Batman-ed out and I'm a huge fan. I'm about 90min into the episode and so far, I love it. I'm choosing more of the comic styl

• 7/10

Overall it was good. Especially the story got me interested even though I'm not a huge fan of series about super heroes. 3 points are missing, because there's a room to improve technical stability of the game, dialogue choices and reactions to them.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.