RATE BATMAN - The Telltale Series - EP 1 (SPOILER FREE)

Its that time again where I get giddy before a release of a Telltale series and ask people what they thought of the episode! (spoiler free of course!).

This time I'll add a straw poll if you want to be a bit lazy and just add a rating.

http://www.strawpoll.me/10887815

Comments

• I'm not watching nothing till I play it?

• Nobody cares?

amoore12321 posted: »

I'm not watching nothing till I play it?

• I saw it too and I'm looking forward to it tomorrow :)

Nobody cares?

• edited August 2016

watched a stream and I like the new take on some of the villains and the combat was brutal and the ending scene was fun to watch and the dialogue was very good, 9/10

• Please refrain from discussing specific spoilers, such as the appearances of certain villains. Thanks.

gmc1992 posted: »

watched a stream and I like the new take on some of the villains and the combat was brutal and the ending scene was fun to watch and the dialogue was very good, 9/10

• 0/10 the icon appeared on my PS dashboard erlier nd I thowt it alreddy releesed I was happy jumping with joye so i clik it but nooooo the litle shit just mislede me to a mutherfuckng cowntdown to when it releeses

• Thanks for the salt.

bigdogg0821 posted: »

0/10 the icon appeared on my PS dashboard erlier nd I thowt it alreddy releesed I was happy jumping with joye so i clik it but nooooo the litle shit just mislede me to a mutherfuckng cowntdown to when it releeses

• You know that this game is 18+, right?

0/10 the icon appeared on my PS dashboard erlier nd I thowt it alreddy releesed I was happy jumping with joye so i clik it but nooooo the litle shit just mislede me to a mutherfuckng cowntdown to when it releeses

• I have played the first episode at midnight, it was awesome. If you like Batman, you will love this game. 10/10. Thanks, Telltale.

• Did you have a stroke while writing this? I'm genuinely concerned.

• thowt

• Incredible. Probably loses a point for one weird moment where my choice didn't mean anything, not sure if it was just a glitch but anyway. 9/10

• You okay there?

• edited December 2016

I thought this episode was a pretty good introduction! Telltale really went out with their engine this time adding new game mechanics, fancy textural effects, and pretty lighting/shadows. From the ending twist and Episode 2 preview, this Telltale series has a LOT of potential to be very good. I can't wait to see what they'll do next.

7/10 - PS4 Version (Midnight Release)
    P.S. I was hoping Troy Baker wouldn't screw up the Bat and he didn't. He did a pretty good Batman! I shouldn't have been worrying anyways since, in my opinion, Troy is the most versatile Video Game VA I've ever seen. He did Joel from TLOU, Kanji from P4, Ocelot from MGSV, Booker from BSI, good ol' Rhys from TFTB, etc. The guy's a mutant!

EDIT1: I just wanted to specify which version I was playing on.
    EDIT2: Re-judged the score.

• And yeah, remember I warned you that Jared Emerson-Johnson is not going to pull off a compelling dark-epic soundtrack? I was right.

Opinion.

• So how long is the episode?

• 105-120 minutes seems to be the range.

So how long is the episode?

• edited August 2016

8.5/10. A solid episode, very good introduction to Telltale's Gotham and its characters. There were couple amazing dialogue scenes, and I also loved the detective sequence. The premise seems to be established now, the story is intriguing, and I have high expectations for the future episodes :)

• For those who watched it, do you think it's worth the buy for someone who's not really a fan of batman? I love TT games, not really batman. Though I do like the villains, and the universe.

• I thought the episode was a solid 7/10.....7.5/10 if I didn't run into various issues and a streamer I watched didn't run into problems either. The story itself seems good as always but not quite as solid as some here make it seem which is expected. Regardless, I hope it ends up standing out and not just "another game".

• I'm not really a Batman (or comic books in general) fan, but I definitely enjoyed it. The story seems compelling, and it feels like any TT game, just with a couple new tricks (that work well IMO). Dunno if this was any help, but I'd certainly recommend it =)

MosesARose posted: »

For those who watched it, do you think it's worth the buy for someone who's not really a fan of batman? I love TT games, not really batman. Though I do like the villains, and the universe.

• edited August 2016

Okay so I just finished the episode and I thought I'd share some thoughts here. Right of the bat (pun intended) I think the episode was very well done and I am very interested in where the story will go next. I won't spoil anything here, but they really are taking on a new version of the Waynes it feels like.

First of all, I really enjoyed the mix between Bruce Wayne and Batman, although I find the dialogue choices for Batman way harder to make for some reason. I don't think that he should talk all that much and some of the offered choices seem a little out of character. Also, Troy Baker's acting is good, but his lines are a little bit too lighthearted sometimes for my taste. Also, I find it very hard to find the perfect match between brutal and controlled. Because, if you know Rocksteady's Batman (which I think is one of the best interpretations of the character), he is kind of an asshole to pretty much everyone. So if bones can be broken, they will be. But because this story takes place pretty early on in Batman's career, the brutal choices will come across reckless pretty quickly so treading lightly is kind of the way to go.

I did really like the fact that we get to do more detective stuff and get a look inside Batman's head. I won't go into it completely here, but there's a fight you get to plan out beforehand and it's pretty spectacular (although there were no sound effects -just music which wasn't all that awesome- is that on purpose or a glitch?). So yeah the mechanics work really well and I can't wait where they take it next.

One last thing that I'm kind of disappointed in is that the menu doesn't give you acces to the individual chapters (like TWAU did). I stand by most of the choices that I made, but I would like to see what would happen if I played them differently without having to play through the whole episode again. So I really hope that they bring this option back.

To conclude, I'd probably rate this one 7.5/10 although the Batman fanboy in me likes to crank it up to an 8, so that's what I'll go with. Very much looking forward to episode 2!

• Hmmm. People here seem to love it while all the reviews online are giving this a 7-8.. interesting.

• Thanks for the reply, I may definatly look into it. I hope they have a demo to test it. If not I think I just may take the plunge.

I'm not really a Batman (or comic books in general) fan, but I definitely enjoyed it. The story seems compelling, and it feels like any TT g

• 7-8 is still a pretty good score.

Tolispro posted: »

Hmmm. People here seem to love it while all the reviews online are giving this a 7-8.. interesting.

• I haven't finished it yet but from what I have played I liked it a lot. I thought it started so ridiculously cliché but the further it went on the better the atmosphere and story became.

• 7 is good, 8 is great. I just expect more from telltale and im afraid that they've forgotten how to make a good game considering that their 3 last games were average at best ( got, mc, michonne. Opinions ) I'm a huge batman fan and I want this to be amazing considering that they have 76 years of content to get ideas from. I don't want batman to be just another average telltale game.

Pipas posted: »

7-8 is still a pretty good score.

• Took me 1 hour 40 minutes

So how long is the episode?

• Now this is what Gotham city shouldve looked like in arkham knight and not that hodge podge misfit city with a tank game RS gave us ! I just cant describe my happiness playing ttg Batman to get that un epic knight game bad taste out of my mouth .

I also like how ttg addressed the combat in this game as its very fast paced but interactive and the atmosphere is incredible as you feel like your in GC and more impressions to come soon !

• Oh on a rating I give the Batman combat parts a 10/10 and the Wayne only a 8/10 so far so a 9/10 total

• Come on man, TWAU and TFTBL was amazing.

7 is good, 8 is great. I just expect more from telltale and im afraid that they've forgotten how to make a good game considering that their

• No three save game slots? That's disappointing, since that's part of the telltale charm

Laurens008 posted: »

Okay so I just finished the episode and I thought I'd share some thoughts here. Right of the bat (pun intended) I think the episode was very

• Excuse me? I said their last 3 games and I even mentioned that I was talking about game of thrones, minecraft and michonne. TFTB and TWAU were amazing indeed.

ata95 posted: »

Come on man, TWAU and TFTBL was amazing.

• edited August 2016

There should be multiple save files available. Accessible from settings, I believe. But yeah, there's no rewind function. :( There's only a 'restart episode' option. So, that means we literally have to replay the episode again if we want to see a scene or make a change, unfortunately.

I imagine many people are going to miss not being able to rewind, and I created a thread about it. It really seems odd if intentional. The only thing I can think of, besides wanting us to live with our choices, is that it was left out due to the updated engine (which I doubt). And again, I doubt it was because they wanted us to live with our choices.

Regardless, if they don't put the feature back in, I hope it returns for TWD S3 and future titles. It's going to be much harder to replay certain scenes for whatever reason, and harder to explore all of the dialog etc.

Laurens008 posted: »

Okay so I just finished the episode and I thought I'd share some thoughts here. Right of the bat (pun intended) I think the episode was very

• OH, sorry read it as the last 3 years XD

Excuse me? I said their last 3 games and I even mentioned that I was talking about game of thrones, minecraft and michonne. TFTB and TWAU were amazing indeed.

• No sorry, there are, I just didn't check the settings because I was used to them being on the home screen. I'll remove that complaint from my post ;)

OrsonWelles posted: »

No three save game slots? That's disappointing, since that's part of the telltale charm

• You won't believe how hard I was laughing after this.

• I know many people don't pay attention, but the Steam reviews are off to a good start. Mostly negative, 21% recommend with 23 reviews. It's buggy? I played it on the PS4 and didn't have problems, so . . . but I enjoyed it, though I miss the rewind feature.

• Id give it a solid 9/10. Voice acting is amazing, and the story is very well crafted. I do wish the episode went a little longer because it sort of just ends. Also, I dont know if Im the only one, but I loved playing as Bruce, even more than Batman.

• Im On ps4 also and I dont know how a game like this could even be buggy as its almost like a movie and cutscenes.

Rob_K posted: »

I know many people don't pay attention, but the Steam reviews are off to a good start. Mostly negative, 21% recommend with 23 reviews. It's

Sign in to comment in this discussion.