RATE BATMAN - The Telltale Series - EP 1 (SPOILER FREE)

13»

Comments

• 7/10. Good, not great.

• 10/10

A great Batman ! You can be idealistic, violent or tortured, every kind of "style" is possible ! I really hope that the choices will have big consequences in the other episodes ! So... I want the episode 2 now !

• Amazing, totally incredible!

If there is one thing that I've learned from my past experience with Telltale is that they are the best at introducing their fans to new franchises and Batman is a strong example of that. You see, I only knew minimal information about the Batman universe beforehand (that includes Bruce Wayne himself and some other villains), so I thought I wouldn't relate to half the characters in the story, but thanks to Telltale's incredible storytelling, I could relate very well to them. Add to that the incredible performance of the VAs, the fun (and sometimes hard) fighting sequences and the eye candy graphics, and you have a very solid first episode.

Now my main and only issue with it is the performance. It's lackluster, full of FPS drops,glitching textures and unfinished parts which made the experience somewhat poor in my opinion.

In the end, Telltale fulfilled their promise by delivering an amazing episode, but if not for the performance issues the game would have gotten a full 10/10 from me, but right now it gets only 9/10. If they could release a patch to fix the game I would give it a ten again.

• Overall entertaining, not too bad of an episode. Nice detective sequences, I'm definitely intrigued by the story.

Art style of the game bothered me at first, like the backgrounds in a few establishing long shots that looked like they were put there without cheking their resolution beforehand. I understand that effect of blurriness can serve as enhancement of effect of space, but being in the same frame with normally looking modeled objects and people, that somewhat lowered my first impression and didn't work for me. Not to mention that in some close-up shots models of people looked like they weren't exactly finished. At least I don't remember having such issues in the other TT's titles, like TFTB or Wolf. For some it can seem like nitpicking, but it honestly made me cringe at first.

Game had its lags, like the others already said, though the fault can always be in my computer.

At one point, again like the others already mentioned, the dialogue of a certain character bothered me as well, it could be justified I guess, but giving that the games by TT always aim at 'tailoring the story by how we play' I believe that scene could recognize my actions in a better way.

All in all, it was a solid episode full of content, so I'm looking forward to seeing the continuation.

• I was genuinely surprised how much I enjoyed it, especially considering I had a fairly luke-warm response to Michonne and Story Mode.

It's definitely the strongest TT opener since TFTBL, and I'm really looking forward to the rest of the series.

I've always found Bruce quite brooding/boring, so it was really nice to be able to shape him as I saw fit - he ended up being surprisingly sassy for me (which Troy pulls off so well)!

Really loving all the different relationship dynamics in the game, it made me really care about my responses rather than mindlessly jabbing buttons to keep the story flowing (which hasn't been my priority since Tales).

I also really liked the 'Bat-Vision' (for lack of a better term) - it was kind of like Rhys' EchoEye and Fiona's 'see before you act' mechanic in one handy colour-customisable package!

Only negatives were a couple of issues with choice/response consistency (getting a lecture off Albert when I played nice with the sniper & the article saying I hadn't given a quote when I had), as well as the frustrating Codex glitch.

Overall a strong 8.5/10.

• That's what I'm thinking, but I just wish the immediate concequence was more varied. No matter what, it ends the same despite the fact that the choice goes two different ways.

plus a major choice not mattering at all I was bothered by this, too, although we never know if Telltale is going to throw a curve and have that decision affect the story later on in the following episodes.

• but save your rating for when its fixed.

Ok. I just download patch on Steam. Well, game will work better (30-40fps on beginning), but in QTE scenes and moments when on screen have many characters, i get 15 fps and freezes just like before.

My new rate - 1/10.

I'm annoyed too, but save your rating for when its fixed.

• ok the patch fixed the buzzsaw lines, still lags a bit but it's playable...damn you TT putting me in love-hate relationship!
    7,5/10 would be 9/10 but there's a need for a penatly for the blunder with glitches

• Absolutely amazing until the god damn shit point near the end of the game where my game decides after I choose my plan of attack to completely bug out and spin me in first person outside the building and I'm unable to do anything

• 6.5/10 - It was pretty good, but I found myself bored throughout the majority of the episode. Still excited for the second episode though!

• Great start so far cant wait for future episodes

• edited August 2016

"You broke the law. Here I am."

enter image description here

Overall, I enjoyed the episode. I like the art style, the voice acting is good for the most part and the action is pretty badass. But for th

• edited August 2016

7/10

Technical issues aside, it was a good, but not great episode. For a Batman veteran, none of the big plot surprises were surprises at all. Still, I like the changes made to characters - that is interesting, and will look forward to the rest. It doesn't help that coming off of Arkham Knight made this game's combat feel almost pedestrian (especially because the mercs are so similar in both games).

That being said, the idea of a Batmobile that can turn into a sports car is so brilliant and reflective of the Bruce Wayne gameplay (also a fantastic element of the game, btw) that the whole thing is totally worth playing.

• edited August 2016

Have there been other Batman works where Harvey Deny and Bruce Wayne campaign to replace Arkham Asylum with a cleaner and more stable hospital in honor of Bruce's parents? I'm also interested in the whole conspiracy with Bruce's parents, that's an intriguing spin I thought.

Demarcoa posted: »

7/10 Technical issues aside, it was a good, but not great episode. For a Batman veteran, none of the big plot surprises were surprises a

• 9/10 Amazing episode. Telltales Batman is a great reimagining of the Batman mythos. They did something many would consider impossible and found new ways to tell a Batman story which seems far from any comics storyline. The only reason this masterpiece doesn't get a perfect score is that at one point Alfred says a line that is completely inconsistent with the choice you made. If that is ever updated or patched the game is nearly perfect, with only minor lagging that happens with every newly released title.

• The idea was toyed with in other works, for sure, but not like this. Not with Harvey and Bruce doing so as part of an election campaign.

That stuff works. The thing with Bruce's parents, well, if you've read the Long Halloween, that was what I was referring to in my first post. I assume most people didn't first hear about the potential ties to the Falcone's midway through the episode and go, "Oh, well OF COURSE Bruce's parents know the Falcones, everyone knows that!"

But like, whatever. Most people won't know about that stuff and it might play out differently anyway from how it went down in The Long Halloween. Already it's a little different - in the comic, Bruce knew about his parents so it would be no revelation to him. My point is just that picture at the end of the episode was the least surprising thing ever, to me and it made the episode feel a little flat by the end.

J-Master posted: »

Have there been other Batman works where Harvey Deny and Bruce Wayne campaign to replace Arkham Asylum with a cleaner and more stable hospit

• edited August 2016

9/10 ( a 9.5/10 if my experience was more consistent, but I played in a small window on the lowest resolution hitting 25-30 mostly). wow! I've been butthurt the past few days about the shitty PC port, but I finally decided to play past the first 10 minutes and I'm impressed. The game runs wayyyy better after and its damn good as well. Bruce's sections are so interesting and I was completely invested. I loved that there was definitely way more Bruce than Bats too. Also despite my issues the actual tech itself is incredible, and some scenes looked revolutionary for Telltale, while some models looked Jurassic Park-ish...Could've been me though. Overall I'm SO glad I finally decided to play it. Can't wait to play again when its fixed or released on PS3.

• I like the game,
    it has good QTE gameplay but needs significant improving because when doing the silent treatment method
    clearly they haven't make much of a difference if u miss all the buttons and suddenly just die...

as some of us discussed here in the link below:
    https://telltale.com/community/discussion/108062/batman-the-silent-treatment

Some different movements would be nice, like if u don't do anything Batman should be more bluntly doing stuff un-skilfully

Story is nice and can't wait to see what else awaits us.

Interesting to see some differences here & there with some characters, which is what I like in some stories on other shows with same characters, yet different portrayals.

:)

I would think by now, after 4 / 5 games, they'd be prepared for people choosing ... in its dialogue.
    Dunno why Harvey is so worried about Bruce not saying anything and call it "making a scene" in public.
    for example.

• I like what I am hearing about this game, I may just buy the season pass tomorrow.

• Good luck man. Hope you enjoy :).

But just as a heads up. If you have frame rate issues don't worry they said they would fix them. Also you MIGHT get a dialogue glitch in which a character will briefly act as if you chose something else, don't worry in the rest of the game the choice still mattered and the glitch will be patched eventually.

I like what I am hearing about this game, I may just buy the season pass tomorrow.

• Well, I figured The Waynes knew who the Falcones were but from the way that scene was conveyed, it felt more like it was saying that the Waynes were the REAL corrupt gangsters in control of the city which caught me off guard a little bit since I'm so used to Bruce's parents being purified angels who feel victim to a petty crime which they could still be but I'm interested either way.

Demarcoa posted: »

The idea was toyed with in other works, for sure, but not like this. Not with Harvey and Bruce doing so as part of an election campaign.

• Thank you.

Lord_EAA posted: »

Good luck man. Hope you enjoy . But just as a heads up. If you have frame rate issues don't worry they said they would fix them. Also you

• No problem :).

Thank you.

• edited August 2016

Pros:

-Impressive visuals

-Solid action sequences

-Troy Baker as Bruce Wayne

-Laura Bailey as Catwoman

-Detective mode

-Stayed true to the Batman mythos while still making enough changes to stand on its own.

Cons:

-Plot is a bit predictable.

-Minor technical issues

-I have mixed feelings on Troy Baker's performance of Batman as well as Penguin being Bruce's childhood friend.

Final Verdict: Despite its flaws, this was still a very solid effort from Telltale. I'm pretty curious to see where they'll go next. I look forward to the next episode. (Whenever that'll be.)

Final Score: 7.5/10

• Oh, I assume they aren't going to go in that direction...

J-Master posted: »

Well, I figured The Waynes knew who the Falcones were but from the way that scene was conveyed, it felt more like it was saying that the Way

• 6/10

The story is good. I like the characters and Telltale's version of them. The action sequences and gameplay have amateurish flaws Telltale games didn't have before and has technical bugs and issues. I have confidence that this series will get better but this episode didn't do it for me

• I gave it a 9. I really, REALLY liked it, but I couldn't give it a 10 with that performance. The game freezes for up to ten seconds before every save, and my PC is way above the requirements.

• Predictable plot? C'mon ralo, tell us what'll happen.

ralo229 posted: »

Pros: -Impressive visuals -Solid action sequences -Troy Baker as Bruce Wayne -Laura Bailey as Catwoman -Detective mode -St

• It was good, first episodes usually are - 8/10. Some scenes were copied from previous games; meeting with Falcone is actually meeting lord Whitehill. Encounter with Selina Kyle was most interesting part. I like Harvey; district attorney and bodybuilder. That's cool. No technical issues with my pc version.

• The plot for the episode itself was a bit predictable. Not the series itself. (Although I think most of us know that Oswald is gonna be the main antagonist or a major antagonist.)

Omid's cat posted: »

Predictable plot? C'mon ralo, tell us what'll happen.

• It didn't really ruin it for me, it was just a touch distracting. I gave the game a 7.5 initially, (I'd probably give it an 8 now.) and that's still a pretty good score.

• Well duh Oz is the penguin after all

ralo229 posted: »

The plot for the episode itself was a bit predictable. Not the series itself. (Although I think most of us know that Oswald is gonna be the main antagonist or a major antagonist.)

• I give it an 8.5/10. Excellent on the whole, but loses points for frame-rate issues that really shouldn't exist in a modern game like this, for bugs (such as disappearing sound), and for too many instances when failing a QTE has no impact on the action we're seeing.

• I knocked a point off due to one of the dialogs made a big deal about choosing a choice I didn't choose (writing snafu).
    I Knocked a point off due to the QTEs, they don't matter and if they did they still need quite some love.
    I Knocked a point off due to a CTD first time I fired it up (can't get a 10/10 if you can't play the game at release).

I liked it due to being not cheesy, having a fair amount of planning and 'detective' work (that is where batman shines). it has real potential, i doubt it could topple walking dead as my favorite, but it may end up competing for second.

• edited August 2016

Already bought the season pass, and I played the 1st episode. I love it so far. 10/10.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.