Tarot cards as collectable ?

Comments

• edited December 2009
    I would definitely buy a physical set of the Tarot cards.
  • edited December 2009
    me 90th and i have arseloads more ideas for cards from in game...and art used on site during release

i esp love the most recent pirate ship art
  • edited December 2009
    in .png format they are 26 MB together (why does anyone use bmp these days: png is lossless compressed!)
  • edited January 2010
    I would def buy these as well :)
  • edited January 2010
    I really really want these now.
  • edited March 2010
    Tarot cards are in the store now! Damn, do I ever wish I had $20!

...scratch that, I need $35 plus shipping. That deluxe edition looks freaking amazing...
  • edited March 2010
    tarot cards are in the store now! Damn, do i ever wish i had $20!

...scratch that, i need $35 plus shipping. That treasure chest looks freaking amazing...

wat
  • edited March 2010
    OMG MERCHANDISE!!! As soon as I get paid, I'll have one of everything please!
  • edited March 2010
    Giant Tope wrote: »
    wat

You should look in the TTG store.
  • edited March 2010
    I did. I was so excite. Dreams are becoming reality every day.
  • edited March 2010
    So, some kick math:

- Voodoo Card Set : 18 cards
    - Deluxe Edition : 1 Exclusive Card
    - Total : 19 Cards

- Cards seen in the game: 21
    - "Combined" Cards: (2) (formed by combining two cards)
    - Real Total: 19 Cards

So all cards were seen, I do wonder which one is the left out of the tarot deck (The Sixth Sense?).

So I can't process this:
    includes all the cards seen in the game, plus new ones
  • edited March 2010
    I thought about this, then I decided that I'm just happy to be getting professionally printed cards at all.
  • edited March 2010
    Eduardo wrote: »

- "Half cards" (only used to be combined): 2
    - Real Total: 17?

I dunno. We'll know for sure when we get them.
  • edited March 2010
    Note that in the Deluxe set you'll get one of the Tarot cards - a random one!
    (This is like the Time card you get with the S&M S2 Case File. There were six or so, but you could only get one per order!)

So... get a random card in the deluxe set... and buy the full set if you want :)
  • edited March 2010
    Molokov wrote: »
    (This is like the Time card you get with the S&M S2 Case File. There were six or so, but you could only get one per order!)

So... get a random card in the deluxe set... and buy the full set if you want :)

The one that comes with the deluxe set is an "Exclusive Voodoo card, not found in the Voodoo Card Set." It's not one from the main set, so I'd guess it's not random either
  • edited March 2010
    a dollar a card...? hmm... Maybe if there were close to a full deck of cards (at the current price) - or heck - throw on some Monkey Island style cards (i.e. Hearts, clubs, diamonds, Spades - or you could even be fancy and do Cups, Wands, Plates, and Swords, but that's probably unnecessary). Then you can have an actual Tarot deck that you can do tarot readings AND play French Tarot with. (The Tarot-Reading cards were the "trump" suit originally before games like Bridge, Euchre, etc. and there were usually 21 cards in the Major Arcana as they were called.)

Are we asking too much? :-P I just want Monkey Island Pirate Cards to go with my Puzzle Pirate Cards.

Games geek sneaking away now... :-P
  • edited March 2010
    I would definitely love it if they made an upgrade that included the "missing" cards for playing French Tarot.
    As in, a regular deck + horsemen, and the excuse + 2 more arcana (since so far we have 19 and there are 21)

Of course, I have to wonder how much that would cost. I picked up two French Tarot decks before I left France, cost me 5 euros for both. This costs 20 dollars for 18 cards... And there are 59 cards left. If it costs 60+ more dollars I won't be able to afford it, honestly.

So I have my reservations, you know? An "upgrade" sounds neat, but sounds like it costs them a lot to make them, which means it would cost a lot to buy them...

EDIT: plus the current tarot cards probably don't have a value assigned to them, so they would be a pain to play with as is.
  • edited March 2010
    If this was a real set of tarot cards I would have bought them, but as is they're useless. There are suppose to be like 78 or something cards in a deck. i guess I'll just keep using my old normal cards to read with.

:/

this fortune teller is disappointed.
  • nikasaurnikasaur Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2010
    Molokov wrote: »

Actually, the Voodoo card in the Deluxe pack is a DIFFERENT card, as far as I know. It's only you can only get in the Deluxe version.

As for a full Tarot set, we all adore Ryan's art and because of that, he is terribly busy. We even had to schedule out time to get him to do a few extra cards never before seen in the game, to include in the deck. To do an entire set of Tarot, or even half of them would have been a massive undertaking. We at Telltale only have so many resources we can shuffle around, and we could not go outside our own means to create a full Tarot set, even though it was unanimously considered an awesome idea.
  • edited March 2010
    Thank you TTG, thank you SO MUCH!!!!! :) :) :) You guys are the greatest! :D :winslow:

I ordered my pre-ordered DVD plus the Voodoo Tarot card set. I was thinking about purchasing the Deluxe Edition, just because of that mysterious "special" Voodoo Card, but then I figured the card set was more important to me. Maybe the people who ordered the Deluxe Edition can show their cards once they get them.
  • edited March 2010
    So, some kick math:

- Voodoo Card Set : 18 cards
    - Deluxe Edition : 1 Exclusive Card
    - Total : 19 Cards

nikasaur wrote: »
    We even had to schedule out time to get him to do a few extra cards never before seen in the game, to include in the deck.

So there are new cards? Does that mean that some cards from the game are not included in the deck?
  • edited March 2010
    Jen Kollic wrote: »
    OMG MERCHANDISE!!! As soon as I get paid, I'll have one of everything please!

What, just one tarot card as well?
  • edited March 2010
    Having that bonus tarot card in the deluxe bundle I had to order the tarot set as well :D
    edited March 2010
    So there are new cards? Does that mean that some cards from the game are not included in the deck?

Found a real answer to this:

The deck is actually 21 cards. It has all the cards from the game, plus some new ones, and the Deluxe Edition has its own special card. I believe that makes a total of 22! Sorry for the wrong messaging on the product, it's been a haze for us in the web team over the past 2 weeks.
  • edited March 2010
    I can't wait to see what you've hidden in the Deluxe Editoin card. It's obviously going to be new, and I suspect something cool is hiding in it like the time cards.
    edited March 2010
    Nnnno, no fun Time Mariachi stuff this time. Just cool art.
  • edited March 2010
    I would guess that the Deluxe Edition card would be an equivalent to The Fool (the two-valued trump card) but the artwork for "The Journey" that's already posted looks to be the most likely equivalent to that trump.
  • edited March 2010
    Pssssst.... check your invoice if you want more information on the deluxe card...

You didn't hear it from me.
  • edited March 2010
    Pale Man wrote: »
    Pssssst.... check your invoice if you want more information on the deluxe card...

You didn't hear it from me.

That just means its a card the Voodoo lady would use. She's already seen on "The Curse".
  • edited March 2010
    Hopefully Telltale won't take a page from Sierra's Quest for Glory IV and make the unique card The Void. That would be very, very lame.
  • edited March 2010
    That just means its a card the Voodoo lady would use. She's already seen on "The Curse".

Then why isn't the full set of cards called the "Voodoo Lady Cards Set"?
  • edited June 2010
    So, going by this pic published in Telltale's Twitter:

116434037.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=0ZRYP5X5F6FSMBCCSE82&Expires=1276729611&Signature=kh%2FmRvwkhDMaHzt54Pyk%2BubS1Lk%3D

Cards shown: 22.

From top to bottom ,left to right:

01. The Lothario (with more details?)
    02. The Grim Reaper???? NEW ONE 01
    03. The Fracture
    04. Death
    05. The Curse
    06. The Victim
    07. The Shivver (with more details!)
    08. The Mouth
    09. The Lovers
    10. The Transformation
    11. Justice
    12. The Journey
    13. Demon LeChuck sitting in a throne??? NEW ONE 02
    14. The Healer
    15. A monkey buffoon? NEW ONE 03
    16. Treachery
    17. The Tower NEW ONE 04
    18. Strength NEW ONE 05
    19. Disease
    20. Nemesis
    21. Betrayal
    22. Triumph (I think)

Show in the game, but not included in the pic:
    23. The Scientist
    24. The 6th Sense
  • edited June 2010
    look how even now they hide the The Lothario I think that the other side might have serious impact on the series (my guess its the voodoo lady)
  • edited June 2010
    01. The Lothario (with more details?)
    02. The Grim Reaper???? NEW ONE 01
    03. The Fracture
    04. Death
    05. The Curse
    06. The Victim
    07. The Shivver (with more details!)
    08. The Mouth
    09. The Lovers
    10. The Transformation
    11. Justice
    12. The Journey
    13. Demon LeChuck sitting in a throne??? NEW ONE 02
    14. The Healer
    15. A monkey buffoon? NEW ONE 03
    16. Treachery
    17. The Tower NEW ONE 04
    18. Strength NEW ONE 05
    19. Disease
    20. Nemesis
    21. Betrayal
    22. Triumph (I think)

Hmmm. Despite the early assertion that there wouldn't be parity with a standard tarot deck's Major Arcana, these are actually pretty close. Death, The Lovers, Justice, The Tower, and Strength are all direct equivalents to the Major Arcana. A few others (like Treachery, Betrayal, The Journey, and The Healer) are close to equivalents. I'd bet the unnamed new cards could match up pretty well, too, so probably at least half of the set overall could match up quite nicely. The lack of The Scientist and the presence of that "Monkey Buffoon" (most likely The Fool) throws some of my thoughts off, though.

Considering how little of the supposed Triumph is visible, I'm guessing that's the bonus card in the deluxe edition.
  • edited July 2010
    Can somebody please repost the Twitter image, I can't see a thing.
  • edited July 2010
    I just received my ToMI DVD and Voodoo Tarot Card Set I ordered back in March, and I must say, I love these cards! They're as beautiful as I imagined them to be. And how surprised and pleased I was about the new cards (The Guide, Strength, The Tower & The Devil). Too bad 2 of the cards originally shown in the game where missing (The Scientist, The Sixth Sense). I'm actually a little disappointed about "The Scientist" missing in particular, as I thought all the cards used in the "Previously on ToMI" scenes would certainly be included. Well... I still love them! :)

So, would any one who ordered the Deluxe Edition like to share what "special card" they got?
  • edited July 2010
    I got "Envy", showing guybrush looking at Elaine and human LeChuck.
    Someone else on here got "the Joker", showing a red monkey thing.
    Dunno about other people.
  • edited July 2010
    I got "Envy", showing guybrush looking at Elaine and human LeChuck.
    That one sounds awesome! Can you post a picture or scan? I'd love to see it!
  • edited July 2010
    I got the Joker..... it was random?
  • edited July 2010
    I got the joker how did they know I love the joker!
Sign in to comment in this discussion.