Telltale + Linux: A Definitive Guide

Comments

• edited November 2009
    All the Telltale games can be run on Linux and Mac using VMWare Workstation 7 and VMWare Fusion respectively.

Why should you bother setting up a VMWare solution instead of just sticking with Wine?
    Well because once you have it figured out, your virtual Windows if going to useful for a LOT of other stuff than TTG games. You can get a boatload of other stuff working that Wine has problems with.

What do I need to make this work?
    -The new VMWare
    -Windows XP (7 or 2000 might work but I am totally unsure)
    -A PC with some muscle and a minimum of 2GB of RAM.
    -A processor that supports the AMD-V or Intel VT-x instructions.
    I have an AMD Phenom X4 9550, 4GB DDR2 Ram and a GForce8800GT. Tales of MI runs PERFECTLY fullscreen on 1680x1050 with graphics settings 6 out of 9.

How do I know if my proc has AMD-V or Intel VT-x instructions?
    In Linux, open a console and do "cat /proc/cpuinfo".
    The report you get should mention either "hvm" (for Intel) or "svm" (for AMD) in the "flags" section.
    Look in your BIOS for a option to enable the virtualisation instructions. They are turned off by default. If you DO have the hvm or svm flags but DONT have an option in the BIOS to enable them you are screwed....unless the laptop manufacturer has a BIOS update for you.
    These are Linux instructions. I am totally unsure how this works on a Mac.

Anything I need to know about the installation?
    Install VMWare and install your virtual XP.
    Make sure you enable the 3d acceleration of the guest, give the guest at least 1GB of RAM. Giving the guest 2 processor cores is a good idea.

What do I need to install on the guest XP?
    Just the VMWare tools that come with VMWare. You may need to update DirectX and then reinstall VMWare Tools.
    Don't bother with Windows update or anti-virus or anything. Just keep your guest offline, unless you need your TTG game activated.

Have fun with your fake windows!
  • edited November 2009
    Ok figure i'd post a quick oddity i've had. i've got a funny setup in /etc/asound.conf that lets me have seperate devices for my headphones (which are hooked up to the side speaker out on my card) and the default stereo speakers. I've been struggling to get the Wallace And Grommit 103 running, but sound wasn't working. I'd hit test in winecfg and it'd make the test sound and everything is fine. Running both at the same time (e.g. winecfg & wine WallaceGrommit103.exe) seems to get the sound working. Has to be a strange bug in wine, if i can track it down i'll file a bug report, but until then, maybe this'll help someone else.
  • edited December 2009
    I've encountered the exact same sound situation but didn't realise that would fix it, thank you so much. I know have it running perfectly on karmic which amuses me a lot as it kept freezing and running slow in vista! Thanks all.
  • edited December 2009
    Has anyone managed to play through TOMI5 on wine? For me it crashes right after Guybrush steps through the portal at, what I assume is, the end of act 1. I'm using wine-1.1.34.
  • edited December 2009
    No issue here.. (wine 1.1.34 ubuntu amd64, Geforce + some patches for Dragon Age)
    (well, I'm not far yet, still around the crossing, oops so I guess my reply is not relevant, I'll come back later :-)
  • edited December 2009
    Has anyone managed to play through TOMI5 on wine? For me it crashes right after Guybrush steps through the portal at, what I assume is, the end of act 1. I'm using wine-1.1.34.
    I'm having the same exact issue. Tried using both wine-1.1.33 and wine-1.1.34, and various nvidia driver version. I might give some older wine versions a try.
  • edited December 2009
    I managed to finish the game with wine 1.1.33, so it is possible (and I didn't do any dirty tricks beside installing directx and winegecko).
  • vEXvEX
    edited December 2009
    I just downgraded to 1.1.33 and now it doesn't crash after the portal for me.
    /me runs back to the game
  • edited December 2009
    Thanks. I downgraded to 1.1.31 and everything works for me.
  • edited February 2010
    So, Wine 1.1.39 introduced MSHTML support (or more support).

+ You can see "the background" of the ToMI game launcher.

- The button for entering the game is missing, so no more ToMI in Linux with 1.1.39.

I cannot enter the game anymore. I can downgrade (and will), but... How do you guys now try to enter the game?
  • edited February 2010
    Just so you know: I tried doing all of that, and it's not working.

The only thing I can think of that's different is that the game is already installed, rather than installing it later on like you do in the guide.
    I thought I might uninstall it and re-install it but the uninstall thingie doesn't work any more than the launcher does.
  • edited February 2010
    As far as I know, Sam and Max season 1 work perfectly without patching for me on Ubuntu Karmic, so it can be removed from this sticky. One small last note, though: running the game in full-screen kinda messes up your panels, so I just run in windowed mode.

By the way, wouldn't it be great if Telltale supported Linux like it's starting to support Mac? Same thing (in a sense), right?
  • edited February 2010
    Yeah, definitely, I tend to stop playing games with wine ; although it usually works pretty well, the games may always stop working with a wine update, new dll installs etc. So I prefer to support native games.

They could just support & provide packages for a few major distros... It's probably easier now that TT's frameworks is meant to build on OSX :)
  • edited February 2010
    Sloshy45 wrote: »
    By the way, wouldn't it be great if Telltale supported Linux like it's starting to support Mac? Same thing (in a sense), right?

There's an exploring thread here ;)

http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15041
  • idoido
    edited March 2010
    ttg_patch was broken for me, since the temp directory used by the program was "file://C:\\windows\\profiles\\ido\\Temp\\1B58505EB9864D30A0CF53A184313AE6\\launcher\\index.html"
    and not the expected "file://C:\\windows\\temp\\1B58505EB9864D30A0CF53A184313AE6\\launcher\\index.html"

I've patched up ttg_patch and now it is working for me.
    the diff file is
    30c30
    < grep = subprocess.Popen(["grep","-o","-m1",r"temp\\\\[A-Fa-f0-9]\{32\}\\\\launcher"], stdin=proc.stderr, stdout=subprocess.PIPE)
    ---
    > grep = subprocess.Popen(["grep","-o","-m1",r"file://.*\\\\[A-Fa-f0-9]\{32\}\\\\launcher"], stdin=proc.stderr, stdout=subprocess.PIPE)
    33,34c33,34
    < tempkey = grep.communicate()[0][6:][:32]
    < print "- Launcher found! Temp key used: " + tempkey
    ---
    > tempkey = grep.communicate()[0]
    > print "- Launcher found at: " + tempkey
    42c42
    < lpath += "/drive_c/windows/temp/" + tempkey + "/launcher"
    ---
    > lpath += tempkey.replace("\\\\",'/').replace('file://C:','/drive_c').strip()

this should theoretically work on both versions of temp directory.
  • edited March 2010
    Hi,
    I'm having trouble registering the activation code on Episode 2.
    I have tried to launch it with the ttg-patch and without.
    What happens is I get graphical "Please wait logging you in". After a second or two the screen changes to gray one with telltale logo on it. But no place to put the serial number.

Any solution?
    Is there any other way to unlock the darn thing?
    My wine version is 1.1.41.

Thanks!

-Tony
  • idoido
    edited March 2010
    try to downgrade wine to ver. 1.1.31
    version 1.1.41 is buggy for telltale games, and the above version is the latest version which is still working for me.
  • edited March 2010
    Hey,
    Thank you very much. Downgrading really worked =)

-Tony
  • CazCaz
    edited April 2010
    Thanks v. much for your guide, I got everything working... up until the game loads (Logo with "Avast!" beneath it). Then it crashes and logs me out of my (computer) account. I tried it in window mode as suggested above, same result. Any idea why?
  • edited April 2010
    hi guys 'n gals,
    first off, thanks for the great wine-support! i was so happy to find this, after i purchased ToMI, knowing i didn't have to set up a dual boot.

i'm sorry for hijacking this thread, but i have a question, :)
    some time ago my primary computer broke down, and getting it fixed costs too much, so i'm now using two hand-down notebooks from friends, one of which has a via unichrome chipset, which is only capable of opengl 1.2, which seems to be a no-go.
    the other has a mobility radeon, and it gives me weird glitches (like the ones mentioned on page 2 of this thread.) i haven't found a fix to this yet.
    now i'm looking to buy a new notebook, and i'm probably gonna go for the acer aspire timeline 1810tz. now i know it's specs are good enough to play the telltale games on windows, but i can't afford windows (and wouldn't want it)

so my question is:
    would these specs be sufficient for playing the games (i.e. Strong Bad & Wallace 'n Grommit, the ones i haven't finished yet):
    Intel Pentium Dual Core SU4100
    Intel GMA X4500M HD

(actually, i'm pretty sure the processor should be, i mainly want to know if the GMA X4500M HD is sufficient)
  • edited April 2010
    Unfortunately I havn't managed to get any telltale game to work under wine yet - I think it's the dri2 ati drivers for my card (3d support isn't amazing...yet). This is OK, dissapointing yes, but I'll survive. What really upsets me is that a new platform comes out and is supported within a few weeks. Yup, I'm talking about the ipad. Love it or hate it (hate it obviously but each to their own) it does feel like a slap in the face when linux users have been waiting patiently (well, mostly patiently) while more-money-than-sense apes with their jumped up iphones get their hands on games of the highest quality.

Are you not reinforcing their falsely held belief that buying an iPad was a good idea?
    Where is telltales sense of social responsibilty?
    Why give the fatted calf to those fly-by-night band-wagon-jumping numpties and leave us in the dark?

A loyal, but hurting, telltale customer,
    Michael

Update: sorry for the rant - I'll try to be a little more productive now.

Finally got the first MI episode to run (hurrah!). I had to rip ie7 with winetricks, disable the UseGLSL reg setting, edit the patch as described on the last page, and run the thing in virtual desktop mode.
    Arch Linux x64, wine 1.1.42. ATI HD3200 with the open source ati driver and latest mesa,libdrm,libgl etc from git.

Thanks for all the helpful info on this thread.
  • edited April 2010
    I can't believe we finally got a Telltale game with a working launcher :P

You will need to install the vcrun2005 libs:
    wget http://www.kegel.com/wine/winetricks
    chmod +x winetricks
    ./winetricks vcrun2005

Unfortunately I get no sound... :-(
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2010
    Oh yeah, I forgot to tell you guys about the launcher. IE5 no more! I think we can all rejoice about that.
  • edited April 2010
    Will wrote: »
    Oh yeah, I forgot to tell you guys about the launcher. IE5 no more! I think we can all rejoice about that.

Thanks! I'm very happy about this right now. :D Is it possible to get this game launcher into the older games/episodes or is it too much effort (consumes too much time, you do not have at the moment)?

@DarthBo: I have sound. Take a look in your ingame sound setting, maybe there is... (I don't know the words yet... It's 00:30 am here and english is not my mother language...)
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2010
    I think it will likely happen sooner or later, but unfortunately it takes quite a bit more work than it would seem. Basically we have to bring the entire game up to the current version of the engine. As more of the older games move onto Mac, my goal is to see the PC versions updated as well with the new wrapper.
  • edited April 2010
    I was surprised to see that Sam & Max S3E1 uses WebKit and other components replacing IE; this is excellent news. However, I'm seeing the same problem with Wine (version 1.1.42, specifically) and the game that was mentioned above - no sound. I've tried twiddling some settings, and it doesn't seem to want to work. I may yet try an older version of fmodex.dll from one of the Monkey Island games - sound worked great with them.

Edit: Okay, that didn't work so well; looks like it must be a much newer fmodex.dll, as the game puked and died when it tried to call into the library.
  • edited April 2010
    As more of the older games move onto Mac, my goal is to see the PC versions updated as well with the new wrapper.
    And possibly adding widescreen support to S&M Season 1?

:)
  • edited April 2010
    I think it will likely happen sooner or later, but unfortunately it takes quite a bit more work than it would seem. Basically we have to bring the entire game up to the current version of the engine. As more of the older games move onto Mac, my goal is to see the PC versions updated as well with the new wrapper.
    *borrows three other thumbs*

Five thumbs up!!!1!elf

*screws thumbs back on their respective owners*
  • edited April 2010
    demonfoo wrote: »
    However, I'm seeing the same problem with Wine (version 1.1.42, specifically) and the game that was mentioned above - no sound.
    Ubuntu 9.10 with wine 1.1.42 here. I hope this isn't yet another issue with ubuntu and pulseaudio/openal
    ChemBro wrote: »
    @DarthBo: I have sound.
    Let me guess: not Ubuntu?
  • edited April 2010
    DarthBo wrote: »
    Let me guess: not Ubuntu?

You're right! Arch Linux + Wine 1.1.32 + a Font-Patch (The "Font-Patch" only works here with Wine 1.1.32, otherwise I can't read the text [it's an ATI-driver-issue]). And I don't use Pulse-Audio.
  • edited April 2010
    I removed Pulseaudio (to make Dolphin work properly) under Ubuntu Lucid Beta, and get no sound with Sam'n'Max season 3. (but I do have sound in other wine games - wine 1.1.42)

BTW, the X server is brought down when I try to change the screen resolution. Wine is the only app that ever actually crashed my system. What about you guys ?
  • edited April 2010
    Just tried to reinstall TOMI (5) and I can't get past the loader, when using the python script + latest wine version :-(

I guess I should order the DVD version anyway !
  • edited April 2010
    Ooookay, then you can play Sam'n'Max season 3 under Ubuntu Linux BUT you need an old version of wine. The problem is NOT related to pulseaudio :)

So, I installed "playonlinux" then installed the wine engine 1.1.32.
    Then I installed Sam'n'Max through POL (in a specific prefix) and had to install the VCRun2005 DLLs with winetricks by specifying where POL has its C drive installed :

wget http://www.kegel.com/wine/winetricks
    WINEPREFIX=/home/username/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/samnmax3 sh winetricks vcrun2005

then it works, pfew... However this POL version is completely buggy (may be due to the PPA or to my lucid beta that I update constantly), I had to kill its GUI several times at install time. But the game (demo) works 100%, max details / high res + sound.
  • edited April 2010
    Ooookay, then you can play Sam'n'Max season 3 under Ubuntu Linux BUT you need an old version of wine. The problem is NOT related to pulseaudio :)

Interesting find. I'll run a bisect on the Wine tree and see if I can find the regression.
  • edited April 2010
    COVOX : before you do that, I'll try all wine versions between 1.1.32 and 1.1.42 and tell you exactly when it ceased to work.

I'll be back in a few minutes ;)
  • edited April 2010
    OK so it stopped to work between the 1.1.35 (sound in S&M S3) and 1.1.36 (no sound in S&M S3).

Hope it helps !
  • edited April 2010
    Awesome, that's cut down the number of tests by... well a lot :) I'll post if I find out what the issue is.

EDIT: I've traced the breakage to this patch. I'll fill out a bug report later, but right now I've got some adventuring to get on with :P
  • edited April 2010
    Awesome, Sam&Max does indeed work smooth as butter in those older wine versions :-D
    Thanks for trying to find the regression Covox!
    I wasn't looking forward to having to do it myself :P
  • edited April 2010
    Getting the same problem, trying to download 1.1.35 right now.

Stop the adventuring, file the bug! %)
  • edited April 2010
    I confirm that reverting to 1.1.35 made audio work again.
    Thanks for the research!
This discussion has been closed.