Telltale + Linux: A Definitive Guide

Comments

• edited April 2010
    Relevant bugreports:
    http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=22386 (closed duplicate of: )
    http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=21248
    Not a bug, intentional behavior, once mmdevapi is fully implemented sound
    devices will be found again. [...] I'm working on a proper solution, just wait a bit..

You can work around it by adding mmdevapi=disabled to your winecfg->libraries.

It appears to affect a lot of games, so let's hope there's a real fix before the next episode :-)
  • edited April 2010
    DarthBo wrote: »
    You can work around it by adding mmdevapi=disabled to your winecfg->libraries.

It appears to affect a lot of games, so let's hope there's a real fix before the next episode :-)

Woo, that seems to fix the problem here. Thanks for the suggestion!
  • edited April 2010
    I played a little bit around with the ati/radeon open source driver to see, what is possible with it.

First, some infos:
    - Radeon HD 4650
    - Arch Linux
    - Kernel 2.6.33
    - xorg-server 1.8.1 (rc)
    - mesa 7.8
    - radeon-driver 6.13.0 (xf86-video-ati is the package in the arch-repo)
    - wine 1.1.43

Telltale (Games) games I tested (or got behind the game launcher):
    - Strong Bad (105)
    - Sam & Max (203 & 301)

The result:
    (good)
    - Looked like 60 fps to me.
    - I could play it.
    (bad)
    - Some graphical glitches
    - Sam & Max 301 after the intro killed wine

Actually, I got more than I thought. It's not ready, but it looks like you can play Telltale (Games) games with the open source driver in the near future without any problems. I was pleasantly surprised.

Go, open source driver, go, open source driver, go! Go! :D
  • edited May 2010
    I followed these instructions on a lucid installation where I have wine ppa repository added which gives me wine-1.1.43 and winetricks version 20100424.

I ran the following commands to install:
    $ export WINEPREFIX=/home/jpalko/.wine-telltale-notqtwebkit
    $ winetricks d3dx9
    $ wine SamAndMax201_IceStationSanta_Setup_.exe

I changed to the Sam & Max 201 directory where I ran
    $ wget http://rebui.ld.net.au/covox/ttg-patch.py
    $ python ttg-patch.py SamMax201.exe
    Unofficial Telltale Wine Patcher v0.2
    (C)2009 moral recordings
    Starting Wine...
    Waiting on the debug channel for the Launcher to load...
    - Launcher found! Temp key used: 
    Checking for index.html...
    - Expected to find cool stuff at /home/jpalko/.wine-telltale-notqtwebkit/drive_c/windows/temp//launcher/index.html, but found nothing. Except maybe disappointment.

I only got a launcher window that had the telltale games logo on the top bar and a completely white window otherwise. It never progressed from there further so I closed the screen via the windows close button. To that I got a program error dialog stating that "The program SamMax201.exe has encountered a serious problem and needs to close...etc".

Any suggestions to what might be wrong? :)

SOLVED: Just remembered I had the season 2 dvd edition and just used that one, it's installation procedure was much simpler too.
    $ export WINEPREFIX=/home/jpalko/.wine-telltale-sam_max_season_2_dvd
    $ winetricks winxp
    $ wine /media/cdrom/setup.exe

After this I just give the "Sam and Max - Season Two" desktop icon execution priviledges and run it and enjoy the games.

Okay, a bit of fuss still. :) I had to keep the Season DVD in my drive and create a drive in winecfg that points to /media/cdrom and define it's type as CD-ROM and setup the graphics to emulate a virtual desktop with a suitable resolution. After this the Season 2 episodes work great as long as I insert the DVD into the drive. Naturally would be great to not need that DVD in the drive. :)
  • edited May 2010
    I followed this Wine guide to get Sam and Max - Season 3 working on my new fresh Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid. However I got all sort of errors related to MSVCP80.dll even though I did do the "sh winetricks vcrun2005" thing.
    I just wanted to let everybody know that I additionally had to run:
    sh winetricks vcrun2005sp1

Now it just runs fine! Yay!

Jarno
  • edited May 2010
    I have to install also
    $ winetricks ie7

to get Sam & Max Season One Serial Number entered. Without it I get no Serial Number entry box. Lucid 10.04 64bit + wine 1.1.43 and winetricks 20100424 from ppa repository:
    ppa:ubuntu-wine/ppa

• edited May 2010
    jpalko wrote: »
    I changed to the Sam & Max 201 directory where I ran
    $ wget http://rebui.ld.net.au/covox/ttg-patch.py
    $ python ttg-patch.py SamMax201.exe
    Unofficial Telltale Wine Patcher v0.2
    (C)2009 moral recordings
    Starting Wine...
    Waiting on the debug channel for the Launcher to load...
    - Launcher found! Temp key used: 
    Checking for index.html...
    - Expected to find cool stuff at /home/jpalko/.wine-telltale-notqtwebkit/drive_c/windows/temp//launcher/index.html, but found nothing. Except maybe disappointment.

I only got a launcher window that had the telltale games logo on the top bar and a completely white window otherwise. It never progressed from there further so I closed the screen via the windows close button. To that I got a program error dialog stating that "The program SamMax201.exe has encountered a serious problem and needs to close...etc".

Any suggestions to what might be wrong? :)

If your Wine installation is like mine, in recent versions the temp folder was moved from drive_c/windows/temp to drive_c/users/<your username>/Temp. You need to modify the ttg-patch.py script in two places:
    1. Search for r"temp and change it to r"Temp.
    2. Search for "/drive_c/windows/temp/" and change it to "/drive_c/users/jpalko/Temp/" (I'm guessing on the "jpalko" part, you might need to enter a different user name)

This will help the script find more than just disappointment. However, I've had no luck getting the Wallace & Gromit 205 installer to work. It seems the noScriptDiv section isn't used anymore now that Wine supports MSHTML better. Still the ttg-patch loader isn't helping get me through the launcher for some reason, even though it obviously modifies the page.
  • edited May 2010
    Anybody had any success with S&M 302? With a fresh prefix, I get as far as loading all the QT dlls for the launcher, but it dies with a corrupted double-linked list error (which I'm going to tentatively point my finger at my graphics drivers).
    I've got TOMI working at the moment though, and I don't want to do any significant upgrades until I get through them >_<
  • edited May 2010
    Cheeseness wrote: »
    Anybody had any success with S&M 302? With a fresh prefix, I get as far as loading all the QT dlls for the launcher, but it dies with a corrupted double-linked list error (which I'm going to tentatively point my finger at my graphics drivers).
    I've got TOMI working at the moment though, and I don't want to do any significant upgrades until I get through them >_<

My wineprefix for the new Telltale Games has only d3dx9 and vcrun2005 installed via winetricks and 302 works great. Perhaps your installer file is corrupted some way?
  • edited May 2010
    jpalko wrote: »
    My wineprefix for the new Telltale Games has only d3dx9 and vcrun2005 installed via winetricks and 302 works great. Perhaps your installer file is corrupted some way?
    I copied the installer to a Windows machine and the launcher loads up fine (I didn't bother putting my key in since I'm not interested in playing it under Windows), so the installer's good.
  • edited May 2010
    The game works fine here!
    The audio bug wast fixed in the last wine update.
    I'm on Ubuntu 10.04 with wine 1.1.44, fresh prefix with only vcrun2005 installed.
  • edited May 2010
    I just get this when trying to load a Telltale game through Ubuntu 10.04 using 1.1.42. The Devil's Playhouse does nothing at all.

samnmax.png

This is no use because the play game button doesn't appear. The odd thing is that I used to get the white screen. I guess a wine or Ubuntu update did this.
  • edited May 2010
    Graxer wrote: »
    I just get this when trying to load a Telltale game through Ubuntu 10.04 using 1.1.42.
    Previous seasons use the old launcher, which doesn't work anymore. You'll have to patch the html files or wait for wine to fix it.
    Graxer wrote: »
    The Devil's Playhouse does nothing at all.
    Are you sure you've installed vcrun2005 with winetricks?

(oh, and use the latest wine! Here's the ppa: https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-wine/+archive/ppa )
  • edited May 2010
    Are you sure you've installed vcrun2005 with winetricks?

(oh, and use the latest wine! Here's the ppa: https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-wine/+archive/ppa )

Yes, I've installed vcrun2005. When I try to run the game I get "Starting The Penal Zone" on the bottom taskbar. That disappears after a few seconds and nothing happens.

Also, I have the newest version of wine and winetricks from that link.
  • edited May 2010
    jkohen wrote: »
    If your Wine installation is like mine, in recent versions the temp folder was moved from drive_c/windows/temp to drive_c/users/<your username>/Temp. You need to modify the ttg-patch.py script in two places:
    1. Search for r"temp and change it to r"Temp.
    2. Search for "/drive_c/windows/temp/" and change it to "/drive_c/users/jpalko/Temp/" (I'm guessing on the "jpalko" part, you might need to enter a different user name)

This will help the script find more than just disappointment. However, I've had no luck getting the Wallace & Gromit 205 installer to work. It seems the noScriptDiv section isn't used anymore now that Wine supports MSHTML better. Still the ttg-patch loader isn't helping get me through the launcher for some reason, even though it obviously modifies the page.

Hmm, good detective work. I'll have to update the regex used in the script to find any occurrence of "Temp" instead of the full path. Thanks for the tipoff about W&G E5, a new version must've broken the launcher similar to S&M 201.
  • edited May 2010
    Thanks for this guide, i'll try it tomorrow since as so far no luck in getting season 3 to work on my windows boot (which is really annoying).
  • edited June 2010
    Just a note... With Sam & Max STW + BTaS, I can't get the fallback html to kick in unless I install IE6 and follow that with IE7 in winetricks, which results in what appears to be a completely broken, half-functional IE install. This doesn't work for 2x01 though...

I'm running Wine 1.2-rc2

edit: problem is, this seems to break Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse.
  • edited June 2010
    Yadda wrote: »
    Just a note... With Sam & Max STW + BTaS, I can't get the fallback html to kick in unless I install IE6 and follow that with IE7 in winetricks, which results in what appears to be a completely broken, half-functional IE install. This doesn't work for 2x01 though...

I'm running Wine 1.2-rc2

Yes, I had to do the same to get W&G 105 and Strong Bad 102 to install. It would be great to either get the fallback HTML to work, or Wine to finish handling the authentication process. I had no luck trying different combinations of disabling and overriding mshtml in Wine.

I wouldn't suggest installing IE6/7 in your main Wine directory. Is that what you did? I do the following:
    1. Install the games in my main wine root, then
    2. Create a separate root and install IE6/7 there,
    3. Export the Securom information from the registry in the first installation and import it in the latter,
    4. Validate the game in the second installation (I run the game from the directory inside the first installation and it works fine),
    5. Transfer the updated Securom information from the second to the first installation.

A year or more ago there used to be very detailed instructions in this forum on how to do the above, but I couldn't find them last time I searched for them.
  • edited June 2010
    The patch on the first page could be edited to force the noscript fallback mode (or you could play the disc version)
  • edited June 2010
    The patch on the first page could be edited to force the noscript fallback mode (or you could play the disc version)

I tried many variations of index.html, none of which got me the noscript fallback mode when using a recent Wine. As for the disc version, that first requires having the disc...
  • edited June 2010
    I'm running Wine 1.2-rc2

Yes, I had the same problems with RC2.

I had to go back to an older version to get episode 3x01 to work (and install d3dx9 and vcrun2005 with winetricks)
  • edited June 2010
    Yay, running Wine 1.2rc4 from packages on Ubuntu lucid (10.04), the latest installment of Sam & Max - The Devil's Playhouse launches and so far seems to work perfectly!

Dear Telltale goons: Thanks for reimplementing the whole thing on top of more portable stuff. It really seems to make the games work better. It's *almost* as good as having native Linux ports. Almost. :)
  • edited June 2010
    I installed and played through They Stole Max's Brain last night under Fedora with Wine. Is it just me, or is activation a little smoother?

It took a fresh OS install to sort out my previous problems >_<
  • edited June 2010
    Cheeseness wrote: »
    I installed and played through They Stole Max's Brain last night under Fedora with Wine. Is it just me, or is activation a little smoother?

It's not just you :) Telltale finally rewrote their activation client to use Webkit, thereby allowing portability and not having to target the dodgy version of MSHTML bundled with Windows XP. Bonus for Linux users: no activation nastyhacks required.

Irritatingly a -new- Wine regression appears to have come up for me as of 1.2-rc4 , crashing the game the moment it starts rendering. I'll run a new regression test.
  • edited June 2010
    I just installed "They Stole Max's Brain!" from Sam & Max Season 3 and all the menu text looks like static. It's the same for the speech choices in game. I'm using wine-1.2-rc5. Any ideas?
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited June 2010
    I just installed "They Stole Max's Brain!" from Sam & Max Season 3 and all the menu text looks like static. It's the same for the speech choices in game. I'm using wine-1.2-rc5. Any ideas?

Can you post a screenshot?

It sounds a bit like this issue with intel graphics.
    What kind of graphics chip do you have?
  • edited June 2010
    I have an ATI Radeon 5770. I'm running Linux Mint 9 with the proprietary FGLRX driver.

The game installs just fine with winetricks and even runs great, you just can't read anything... :confused:

I even played a few minutes but gave up when I couldn't read the text choices.
  • edited June 2010
    As of wine1.2rc5 : just had to install vcrun2005 via winetricks, S&M season 3 ep 1 works flawlessly (nvidia 9800 GE). Ultra smooth in 1920*1080 (default details level - 5 ; above, doesn't seem to look that better, and is significantly jerkier).

Activation worked out of the box. (not in TOMI though)
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited June 2010
    I have an ATI Radeon 5770. I'm running Linux Mint 9 with the proprietary FGLRX driver.

The game installs just fine with winetricks and even runs great, you just can't read anything... :confused:

I even played a few minutes but gave up when I couldn't read the text choices.

There is some broken font discussion on page 2 of this thread, though for ToMI. Could be the same bug:
    ChemBro wrote: »
    For those, who have problems with the font in TMI, please confirm it on the bug-report I created, so the bug will be fixed faster (I hope so).

http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=20022

I found the problematic commit and reverting it solves the problem.
  • edited June 2010
    Actually, I've heard that ATI driver support is just sketchy under Linux - in fact, I've heard mainly things about unreadable text and various rendering hiccups.
  • edited June 2010
    Anybody tried Puzzle Agent yet?

Installs nicely and uses Qt4 as well but instead of vcrun2005 you need vcrun2008 via winetricks.

The first puzzle worked nicely for me but the second puzzle shows only the grid image but no buildings, no traffic lights, no nothing additionally to that... And you can drag logs onto the grid but they don't show up there... :(

EDIT: Oh yeah, using wine1.2 rc5.
  • edited June 2010
    Same problem :-(

Man, I was so happy Telltale games finally worked on linux without any issues :-/
    Looks like I'll have to set this game aside until whatever is causing this to be fixed in wine.

EDIT
    oh wait, this may be a bug in the game:
    http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showpost.php?p=337980&postcount=4
  • edited June 2010
    Same problem :-(

Man, I was so happy Telltale games finally worked on linux without any issues :-/
    Looks like I'll have to set this game aside until whatever is causing this to be fixed in wine.

EDIT
    oh wait, this may be a bug in the game:
    http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showpost.php?p=337980&postcount=4

Great to know that the problem is not only on wine. :)
  • edited July 2010
    I've gotten all three episodes of Sam & Max season 3 working on Ubuntu 10.04 with wine 1.2-rc5. I can't seem to get any of the other games (Sam & Max seasons 1 & 2, SBG4CAP and ToMI) to work. I've even tried under Playsonlinux, but that's also sketchy at best.

I'll keep trying and post any new progress here as well.
  • edited August 2010
    Hi everyone !

Is there a working fix for TOMI as of today ? (I use S&M season 1&2 from the DVD with no pb, S&M season 3 "digital versions" with no pb, but I cannot active TOMI -- I haven't ordered the DVD yet :)

Cheers !
  • edited August 2010
    Regarding the AMD/Ati font problem:

Someone wrote in my bug report, that it helps, if you add "nopat" to your kernel boot line (in grub, something like "kernel /boot/vmlinuz26 root=/dev/sdx ro nomodeset nopat"). I tried it and it worked!

PAT is Page Attribute Table (see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Page_Attribute_Table) for those, who wanna ask about it.
  • edited September 2010
    Just acquired the Adventure Bundle : it installs properly. I tried the Whispered world : seems to work perfectly. Jack Keane doesn't work out of the box but I have not investigated yet (it's properly just a matter of installing the right dll). No tried the other games (I already owned all of them).

(Crossover 9.1)

Still looking for a way to make TOMI & Puzzle Agent work, BTW :)
  • edited September 2010
    Tales of monkey island, Launch of the Screaming Narwhal.
    Wine 1.3.1

Already paid? Unlock the full game.

When I click it, that button goes away but nothing else happens. Nothing appears where to type the serial number.

Any hints?
  • edited September 2010
    dietyyli wrote: »
    When I click it, that button goes away but nothing else happens. Nothing appears where to type the serial number.

Same problem on Wine 1.2. The launcher doesn't work with Gecko. I used winetricks to give it IE7 ("winetricks ie7"). The installed IE is severely broken, spews some "internal error" messages after I enter the serial code, refuses to close, but I can kill it and the next time I start the game it comes up registered and working :)
  • edited September 2010
    grogfall wrote: »
    Same problem on Wine 1.2. The launcher doesn't work with Gecko. I used winetricks to give it IE7 ("winetricks ie7"). The installed IE is severely broken, spews some "internal error" messages after I enter the serial code, refuses to close, but I can kill it and the next time I start the game it comes up registered and working :)

Even with fresh .wine directory ie7 installer crashes but, it still somehow got installed?

Unfortunately telltale registeration behaves the same. :(
This discussion has been closed.