Telltale + Linux: A Definitive Guide

Comments

• edited February 2011
    Does adding "-all" to your WINEDEBUG environment variable make any additional improvement?

eg:
    export WINEDEBUG=-all env WINEPREFIX="~/.wine_bttf/" wine "BackToTheFuture101.exe"

• edited March 2011
    Unstickied? ;_;
  • edited March 2011
    Cheeseness wrote: »
    Unstickied? ;_;

It's part of the support guide now! But we can resticky it anyway.
  • edited March 2011
    Oh, right! I didn't realise :D
  • edited April 2011
    every time i start the game everything looks fine but as soon as it loads past the first load screen, it just shuts down. closes itself? please help this is happening to other games too?
  • puzzleboxpuzzlebox Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2011
    Hi nick, moving your query into this thread where the Linux gurus hang out. There's been some discussion about how to run BTTF, starting about here - hopefully you can find something that will help.
  • edited May 2011
    Nick, is there any output if you run from a terminal that might be helpful (happy to explain what that means if you're not sure).
  • edited May 2011
    Hello everyone,
    I am having trouble activating my games again. :( The launcher is loading and I can either try unlocking by username+password or by entering my serial number. None of it works, though. The loading screen "Unlocking, please wait..." appears, and that was it :(
    Maybe it works installing ie7 with winetricks...

...but...@Telltale...
    ...there are so many people here hanging around in this thread...
    ...just think about all the additional users you may reach on Ubuntu Store for example...

WE... WANT... LINUX... SUPPORT!
    WE... WANT... LINUX... SUPPORT!

;-)
  • edited June 2011
    zak256 wrote: »
    I am having trouble activating my games again
    Were you able to make any headway, zak? Also, which games specifically were you having trouble with?
  • edited June 2011
    Were you able to make any headway, zak? Also, which games specifically were you having trouble with?

I have problems activating at least Bone, Strong Bad, Wallace&Gromit, Sam&Max1+2, Telltale Texas Hold'em and probably others. But BTTF for example works fine, probably because of another activation method Telltale uses here.
    Finally I managed to activate the games after installing IE7 with winetricks. And then some games need native d3dx9_36.dll (e.g. Hector).

Luckily with the above exceptions every game works fine up to now. I still hope Telltale jumps on the Linux train soon. First because I think it's a shame to have to use these kind of workarounds (IE7 on Linux just to activate Telltale games *uargh*), and second who knows if future games will work the same way?
  • edited June 2011
    I have problems activating at least Bone, Strong Bad, Wallace&Gromit, Sam&Max1+2, Telltale Texas Hold'em and probably others. But BTTF for example works fine, probably because of another activation method Telltale uses here.
    Finally I managed to activate the games after installing IE7 with winetricks. And then some games need native d3dx9_36.dll (e.g. Hector).

Luckily with the above exceptions every game works fine up to now. I still hope Telltale jumps on the Linux train soon. First because I think it's a shame to have to use these kind of workarounds (IE7 on Linux just to activate Telltale games *uargh*), and second who knows if future games will work the same way?

I'm pretty sure I needed ie7 via ies4linux to get those games up and running as well. The previous Linux threads (mentioned in the first post of this thread) all had that in their howto sections.

covox, if you're still about, do you want to add a note suggesting that people with activation problems might have some success with IE installed via winetricks or ies4linux as descrived in the previous threads?
  • edited June 2011
    I see the instructions on the first page seem to be quite old. All in all you might reduce the instructions to the following steps:

1. Install the game with wine
    wine <game_install_file.exe>

2. Install ie7 and native d3dx9_36.dll using winetricks
    wget http://winetricks.org/winetricks
    chmod 755 winetricks
    ./winetricks d3dx9_36 ie7

3. Run it and have fun :-)
    cd <game_directory>
    wine <game_binary.exe>

ie7 is ONLY needed for activation and NOT needed for the following games which use a different activation method:
    • Back To The Future
    • Hector
    • The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition

Native d3dx9_36 is not needed for all Telltale games, too, but it doesn't hurt to have it installed either.

Requirements are of course installed 3D drivers. I am using an NVIDIA card with native drivers and can't say anything about other cards and drivers.

Installed Wine is of course mandatory, too. I am usually using the newest version.

For convenience I just wrote a small script (the extension ".txt" should be removed):
    chmod 755 telltale-games-installer.sh
    ./telltale-games-installer.sh <game_install_file.exe> [ <wine install directory> ]

In case of problems or comments, post here.
  • edited June 2011
    ie7 is ONLY needed for activation and NOT needed for the following games which use a different activation method:
    • Back To The Future
    • Hector
    • The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition

I think that I needed IE7 for Sam and Max: Season 3 or Poker Night at The Inventory (I could be wrong though - it's been a while since I installed them).

It's also perhaps worth noting that stuff purchased via Steam may not have the same activation requirements (can anyone confirm that?).
  • edited June 2011
    I think that I needed IE7 for Sam and Max: Season 3 or Poker Night at The Inventory (I could be wrong though - it's been a while since I installed them).

I didn't need IE for Sam & Max Season 3; it uses the new WebKit-based stuff which works perfectly fine without it.
  • edited June 2011
    demonfoo wrote: »
    I didn't need IE for Sam & Max Season 3; it uses the new WebKit-based stuff which works perfectly fine without it.

I'll sit corrected then ^_^
  • edited June 2011
    Back To The Future Ep 5 seems to work as happily as the previous ones (though I was hit by the Glass House bug - for prospective players,
    make sure you talk to the Diver about Emmet before going into the Glass House
    ).
  • edited June 2011
    Can confirm that Puzzle Agent 2 is completable under Wine (using the same prefix I've been playing BTTF in).

The only problem we encountered was a crash after our second phone conversation with Jim. After relaunching the game it was fine - no idea if it's Linux/Wine related.
  • edited July 2011
    Hi zack,

Here is the d3dx9_36.dll : http://dllcentral.com/d3dx9_36.dll/9.19.949.2111/…download it and then extract the downloaded zip file to the system32 folder which is located in windows folder (that is located in your main drive which contains the installed windows)
  • edited July 2011
    JeanAHough wrote: »
    Hi zack,

Here is the d3dx9_36.dll : http://dllcentral.com/d3dx9_36.dll/9.19.949.2111/…download it and then extract the downloaded zip file to the system32 folder which is located in windows folder (that is located in your main drive which contains the installed windows)

Under Linux, you're best off getting it via Winetricks. That extracts it from the Microsoft DirectX installer, which is probably the safest/most reliable method of getting the correct DLLs with appropriate overrides.
  • edited August 2011
    Can confirm that Puzzle Agent 2 is completable under Wine (using the same prefix I've been playing BTTF in).

Can confirm that, too (though I haven't played the game, but it starts without any problem). Only had to install d3dx9_36 via winetricks. Everything else worked out of the box.
  • edited October 2011
    With wine 1.3.28, IE7, launcher looks more or less ok. I can see login/pass boxes but I cannot write on them. I have a "No thanks, just take me to the demo" button, I can click it and then the content of the launcher window shifts to the left, so all the middle part of the launcher window is just a grey box... and nothing happens, the game doesn't get to be launched.
  • edited November 2011
    Sorry I have been read somewhere a elegant solution for the sound.
    Everyone knows that pulseaudio must disable for well gaming.
    but in pulseaudio 1.0 I think it's suggest to use pulseaudio suspender.
    then: my command for do sounds works in every title of telltale is to add padsp before the wine command.
    example in my launch command of TOMI:
    env WINEPREFIX="/home/user/.wine" padsp wine C:\\Programmi\\Telltale\ Games\\Tales\ of\ Monkey\ Island\\Launch\ of\ the\ Screaming\ Narwhal\\MonkeyIsland101.exe

PS: sorry about my fake english =)
  • edited April 2012
    Currently playing The Walking Dead. Seems to run OK so far with whatever version of Wine we have installed with whatever overrides we're currently using (I'm not quitting the game to check, but I'll make another post once I have the non-Steam version and have had time to fiddle around).

Edit: Whoops. I think I posted too soon. Seem to have a reliable crash when firing the shotgun. Happens regardless of game settings.

Up until that point, the game runs fantastically.
  • edited April 2012
    Seem to have a reliable crash when firing the shotgun. Happens regardless of game settings.

Up until that point, the game runs fantastically.

Same problem here. I'm running Debian squeeze, wine 1.3.27. Tried emulating Windows 98, tried turning all graphics settings down to awful, tried running in a window, all with no success.

Appreciate any help I can get. I realize that Linux is not supported yet.
  • edited May 2012
    Turns out all I had to do was upgrade to Wine 1.4. Now WD works great!
  • edited May 2012
    BadKitty wrote: »
    Turns out all I had to do was upgrade to Wine 1.4. Now WD works great!

Oh, awesome!

If you're keen, please consider submitting a rating to the appdb.winehq.org (you'll need a login if you don't already have one). The Walking Dead doesn't have any ratings there, so you'll need to follow the Submit App link on the left (have a search before you do though, in case somebody else has done it in the meantime).

The computer I'd tried it on was running 1.3.29. I haven't had a chance to try it on my desktop, which runs 1.5.2, but I'm downloading it now.

Edit: Tried with 1.5.2 in a fresh prefix and it seems happy. For anybody who's keen to try it, you'll need to use winetricks to install d3dx9.
  • edited July 2012
    Anybody been able to get Episode 2 of Walking Dead working via the Telltale version? Mine keeps saying the cpnnection was lost while downloading (though nothing actually gets downloaded).
  • edited July 2012
    Anybody been able to get Episode 2 of Walking Dead working via the Telltale version? Mine keeps saying the cpnnection was lost while downloading (though nothing actually gets downloaded).

After many retries, I was able to get the whole thing down. Good thing it resumes.

I played through the episode from start to finish without noticing any issues. Would really love to play natively though <3
  • edited March 2013
    I meant to check in earlier (whoops), but I played through all of TWD.

In other news, the Double Fine Game Club will be starting the first episode of Sam & Max Save The World this weekend, and I'll be streaming it from Linux. The launcher still behaves really poorly, with the buttons sometimes not appearing/working, but the game itself is as playable as ever (although not as appetising as something native would be).
  • edited April 2013
    Mim's been playing Poker Night 2 under Wine. Performance is a little less than the native version on Mac OS is, but we haven't encountered any significant issues beyond it not properly detecting an appropriate full screen resolution (Alt+Enter to switch to windowed mode in case anybody runs into similar problems).
  • I don't quite get, why Telltale is supporting Mac OSX and OUYA, but not Linux. What is holding Telltale back? Linux gamers, that play Telltale games? Ouya doesn't have that many paying customers and a "tool" like Steam for Linux already exists. So why not Linux?

• edited October 2013

I just played The Wolf Among Us in a clean Wine v1.6, and it worked great :)
    No extra libraries required!

First Telltale game that didn't break while playing the game as well!

Well, I say "didn't break", the last scene had a lot of trouble loading, and it crashed while loading the credits... (knowing Telltale, this probably wasn't a Wine bug) but at least I got to play the game without getting annoyed.

Well, I say "without getting annoyed", the fact that they hardcoded qwerty controls (where I have an azerty keyboard) and that the game relies on QTEs meant I failed A LOT.

But despite that, I enjoyed this episode greatly.

• I just played The Wolf Among Us in a clean Wine v1.6, and it worked great :) No extra libraries required!

Good to hear you had some success! Was that via Steam or a Telltale installer?

Now, how does one subscribe to a thread in these new fangled forums?

DarthBo posted: »

I just played The Wolf Among Us in a clean Wine v1.6, and it worked great No extra libraries required! First Telltale game that didn't br

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited October 2013

By replying you automatically "Follow" a thread. That means you get notifications, and it shows up in the "Followed Discussions" list on the Community page. You can also manually Follow a thread by clicking on the Follow button above the first post.

There's no E-Mail notification yet though.

Cheeseness posted: »

I just played The Wolf Among Us in a clean Wine v1.6, and it worked great No extra libraries required! Good to hear you had some succ

• edited October 2013

Was that via Steam or a Telltale installer?

Both, actually. I finished the game once in each.

I might replay the last chapter again soon with wine1.7, to see if the loading problem in the final scene is gone.

EDIT
    I just replayed the ending with 1.7.4, and it was perfect (aside from a small lighting glitch in the trailer).
    So I definitely recommend using the latest wine :)

Cheeseness posted: »

I just played The Wolf Among Us in a clean Wine v1.6, and it worked great No extra libraries required! Good to hear you had some succ

• edited October 2013

Looks like we may be getting native Linux support in the future, Kevin Bruner posted this on reddit:

SteamOS and Steam Machines look really cool! We pride ourselves on how many platforms we support and are adding new ones all the time (Ouya most recently). We'll of course support the next gen consoles from Sony and MS, and I'm sure we'll add more Android support in the future. Steam and Linux are on the radar, but perhaps a little further out.

I wonder if Ryan "Icculus" Gordon's offer still stands?

I would port The Walking Dead to Linux for free. Hell, I would pay Telltale for the right to port The Walking Dead.

It might help speed things up a bit ^_^ *keeps on dreaming*

• You can also manually Follow a thread by clicking on the Follow button above the first post.

Would be super neat if you didn't have to mouse over the first post for that button to appear. It feels like a pretty significant usability issues (and explains why I was having so much trouble locating it).

DjNDB posted: »

By replying you automatically "Follow" a thread. That means you get notifications, and it shows up in the "Followed Discussions" list on the C

• Looks like we may be getting native Linux support in the future, Kevin Bruner posted this on reddit:

Fantastic. I hadn't spotted that. Thanks for sharing :D

Looks like we may be getting native Linux support in the future, Kevin Bruner posted this on reddit: SteamOS and Steam Machines look rea

• edited January 2014

Has running The Wolf Among Us under Wine worked for other people? I want to buy TWAU, but first I'd like to know that it works on my system (Debian GNU/Linux). Has there been any more information about when a native port might be coming out?

--b9

I just played The Wolf Among Us in a clean Wine v1.6, and it worked great No extra libraries required! First Telltale game that didn't br

• edited February 2014

It worked for me before, but I can't get it to start episode 2 now.

As far as I know there haven't been any updates on the possibility of a native release :(

EDIT
    It was the crappy fullscreen code that stopped it from working, ticking 'emulate a virtual desktop' in winecfg did the trick :)
    Played through the whole game without a single glitch, but just like last time, it crashed on the 'next episode' trailer.

hackerb9 posted: »

Has running The Wolf Among Us under Wine worked for other people? I want to buy TWAU, but first I'd like to know that it works on my system (Debian GNU/Linux). Has there been any more information about when a native port might be coming out? --b9

This discussion has been closed.