Guardians of the Galaxy EP 1 - Tangled Up In Blue - Early Impressions Discussion

Comments

• Maybe it's me, but I didn't really see any jokes to call awful or bad. Granted I could've just overlooked the jokes without noticing.

J-Master posted: »

I would very much like to know what exactly is so awful about the humor, I actually laughed a few times and thought a good amount of the jokes landed. Nothing amazing but it was still enjoyable.

• [removed]

I would very much like to know what exactly is so awful about the humor, I actually laughed a few times and thought a good amount of the jokes landed. Nothing amazing but it was still enjoyable.

• I don't get the hate at all, i loved it.

• dojo32161dojo32161 Moderator

I personally liked the first episode. It's definitely not the best first episode with a few things that stick out in my mind (I feel Scott Porter is a bit jarring as Star-Lord although that may be because I'm used to the movie). Overall it's a good introductory episode, I'd have actual complaints if this had been the second or third episode but as it stands this is a nice introductory episode to me.

• I loved it, but judging by the comments here, I guess it's gonna be the most overHated game of 2017.

• edited April 2017

Just finished the first episode.

Pros

• The environments are very well made and nice to look at (especially the Milano).
    • The graphics and texturing in general are actually quite good. There's an insane amount of detail in Star Lords jacket (sounds like I'm grasping at straws but it's true. His jacket alone had more detail and charm than the Batman's suit)
    • Voice acting for the most part is decent. Drax and Rocket sound a little funky at first but they improve.
    • Really like the soundstrack.
    • I liked the twist with Thanos and the stuff towards the end.
    • I like the jet boots and calling teammates in hub areas.
    • I like the way they handled the "Next time" scene.

Cons

• Terrible lip syncing at points. It just looks like people flapping their lips together.
    • The character models could be way better. Drax looks a little too cartoony and higher resolution textures should have been given to Rocket. Also Star Lords face takes some getting used to.
    • Main menu is very boring.
    • First half is a little slow.
    • Bar scene is awkward.
    • Usual animation jank.
    • Needs to be funnier.

Tidbits

• If you have never read or watched any form of Guardians of the Galaxy media I think(?) you'll be fine because you get some backstory on the characters. If anything you should at least watch the movie because it draws a lot of the backstory from that. Also just watch it in general because it's a good ass movie.

Overall I liked it. It's a solid 6 or 7. Not amazing but definitely not bad (honestly just feels like people are bashing it out of spite). I'm interested in seeing where the story goes so far. Also I wanna play as Groot.

• How is the main menu very boring?!

lupinb0y posted: »

Just finished the first episode. Pros * The environments are very well made and nice to look at (especially the Milano). * The grap

• edited April 2017

Sorry I should have clarified. The UI of the menu is boring (I like the shots of them fighting over the relic). It looks so sterile. It's just the same UI as Batman and A New Frontier. I wish they went with a more stylised look like Wolf Among Us.

How is the main menu very boring?!

• That was pretty fun. I wish more happened, but that's what Episode 2 is for! Did a good job setting up the characters, the general plot, and game mechanics. Music is stellar of course, and the voice acting was great. Looking forward for episode 2 to get the ball really rolling though. 8.5/10

• It was not great but when you take in to account it is character setup and plot layout it is not a surprise. I usually buy these games after the last episode comes out when they are cheaper and you can play right through. I spent most of it wondering if it was all going to be a dream sequence.

• I did not play the game I watch it I liked the first ep that ep alone better than all TNF it had what any telltale game should have a lot of hubs and some puzzles and extra dialogues with the characters more than TNF I see alot of ppl hate it I think they watched the movies of GOTG cus i heard the movie of gotg was so cool i think a lot of ppl was expacting it to be good as the movie i did not watch the movies that why i liked it cus i did the same with game of thrones telltale series i did not watch the show i played the game first and i liked the game the game was for me one of the best games of telltale games but after I watched the show the game look to me like jackshit Compared to the show i think the same thing will go with gotg the ppl will expacted to be good as the movies but it will turn out a shit to them.
    But any way i am not buying.

• Loved it . Played two times

• [cough, cough] shameless plug about the new menu ui [cough, cough, cough]

https://telltale.com/community/discussion/113745/the-telltale-games-main-menu-psa

Sorry I should have clarified. The UI of the menu is boring (I like the shots of them fighting over the relic). It looks so sterile. It's just the same UI as Batman and A New Frontier. I wish they went with a more stylised look like Wolf Among Us.

• TBH i actually really liked the game, it was pretty cool and a fresh start imo. :P luved the humor and action plus fight scenes in this game. Plus da graphics actually looked pretty good on my ipad pro. ^_^ (at least it looked a lot better than ttg twd S1 and 2 combined imo) i enjoyed the story line overall in the 1st episode, and the characters were cool and funny. i'm loook'n forward to the rest of the episodes! 8D

• me too lol ^.^

Loved it . Played two times

• Yeah agreed

TBH i actually really liked the game, it was pretty cool and a fresh start imo. :P luved the humor and action plus fight scenes in this game

• Really surprised the amount of hate this is getting, this is my favourite Premiere episode of any Telltale game since Zer0 Sum

• A) Should've had them eat Shwarma. ;) Joking

B) Uh... So no one seems to get when Starlord's being sarcastic. "I love it!" Rocket: "I love you for loving it." -- Also, the whole thing with the gun wasn't about taking credit, I said I was a good shot because we were a team. --

Good so far though.

• Same. This is the one of the few premieres that I played through twice just to see how different things are, and to find other dialogue paths I may have missed. I love it!

CathalOHara posted: »

Really surprised the amount of hate this is getting, this is my favourite Premiere episode of any Telltale game since Zer0 Sum

• edited April 2017

I said I was a good shot because we were a team

That was exactly my thoughts when I said it. That Rocket scene was one of the few moments of the episode that I didn't like, but yes, so far so good.

mujie posted: »

A) Should've had them eat Shwarma. Joking Uh... So no one seems to get when Starlord's being sarcastic. "I love it!" Rocket: "I love yo

• edited April 2017

just finished the game, loved it. wth are you guys talking about? the graphics are 1000000000% better than what I thought. since its the same modified engine, I'm surprised at the details on this one. glad we dealt of old thanos storyline fast and I like the dynamic so far. rocket is my fav little shit lol. its WAAAAAAAAY better than ANF. I've enjoyed this 1st episode of guardians more than those 3 eps I played of ANF. idk what went wrong with that one.... it was a slow beginning especially to liking the characters since I loved the movie, but after thanos situation was done with I enjoyed it so much. this forum can be funny sometimes. guardians was way better than even batman at launch. you gotta give credit where credit due.............plus liked what heard of the music.

telltale will never win at this rate, being unreasonably negative is not cute. I can't deny that people enjoying anything is subjective, but most of you calling this a disaster is downright uncalled for. ugh
    enter image description here

• I liked the characters (even if they are already established) more than ANF. I like telltale's take on them so far, my fav premier. liked it even more than batman/ANF

Bull_Durham posted: »

It was not great but when you take in to account it is character setup and plot layout it is not a surprise. I usually buy these games after

• I can't say all of the above is true for me, but I agree that star lord design is.... how should I say it? generic at best. his face will not be remembered. I wish they did him more Rhys-esq or something like that.. I wished they made him more unique.

Just finished the first episode. Pros * The environments are very well made and nice to look at (especially the Milano). * The grap

• Agree so much with this

TMLC posted: »

The game was not even out and, already, a line of comments formed here to complain about the game and say it sucks. Well, here comes the hat

• graphics are 1000000000% better than what I thought.

calling this a disaster is downright uncalled for. ugh

It's not uncalled for, because it is the truth.

Mercyva posted: »

just finished the game, loved it. wth are you guys talking about? the graphics are 1000000000% better than what I thought. since its the sam

• enter image description here

graphics are 1000000000% better than what I thought. calling this a disaster is downright uncalled for. ugh It's not uncalled for, because it is the truth.

• True, I never said that it was what the whole fanbase thinks. :D

• edited April 2017

This forum= whole fan base apparently. I've seen quite a few people on here who liked it anyway

True, I never said that it was what the whole fanbase thinks.

• [removed]

zeke10 posted: »

This forum= whole fan base apparently. I've seen quite a few people on here who liked it anyway

• Sucks for them :sweat_smile:

That moment when you don't feel like you wasted your money, like with a certain other recent game. Really sucks ass, man.

• Yeah, I was really shocked that people were coming out of the gate with this much hate for it. I really thought people would like it and give me a reason to want to play it since I'm not familiar with the property. I guess ANF set a precedent as far as lambasting a game after the first episode.

CathalOHara posted: »

Really surprised the amount of hate this is getting, this is my favourite Premiere episode of any Telltale game since Zer0 Sum

• don't feel like you wasted your money

Sums up those people :joy:

Sucks for them That moment when you don't feel like you wasted your money, like with a certain other recent game. Really sucks ass, man.

• Loved it, episode one was awesome. I went in with no real knowledge on the GotG universe and I caught on pretty quick, I'll probably go see the movies now so I could get even more into it. The Thanos fight was definitely one of the highlights of the episode for me, and surprisingly I laughed quite a lot throughout the episode.

• Of course it sucks for the people who have a decent eye for decent storytelling.

• decent eye for decent storytelling.

Probably need that "decent" eye get checked because it's deluding them. :joy:

Of course it sucks for the people who have a decent eye for decent storytelling.

• Must you act like such a jerk because people disagree with you?

decent eye for decent storytelling. Probably need that "decent" eye get checked because it's deluding them.

• [removed]

AgentZ46 posted: »

Must you act like such a jerk because people disagree with you?

• No fucking chill

decent eye for decent storytelling. Probably need that "decent" eye get checked because it's deluding them.

• [removed]

AgentZ46 posted: »

Must you act like such a jerk because people disagree with you?

• [removed]

Sign in to comment in this discussion.