Guardians of the Galaxy EP 1 - Tangled Up In Blue - Early Impressions Discussion

Comments

• These forums confuse the hell out of me... Here everyone says the game is trash, I go to the ANF EP4 waiting thread and people are complaining that it's better than ANF. I'm beginning to think that people here just like to rant.

• WHAT?!?!?! RABBLERABBLERABBLE. But yeah probably

AgentZ46 posted: »

These forums confuse the hell out of me... Here everyone says the game is trash, I go to the ANF EP4 waiting thread and people are complaining that it's better than ANF. I'm beginning to think that people here just like to rant.

• Is this game an original story?

• I hate it because it gets what we have been asking for years to be in ANF. Telltale seems to care more about GOTG than TWD.

These forums confuse the hell out of me... Here everyone says the game is trash, I go to the ANF EP4 waiting thread and people are complaining that it's better than ANF. I'm beginning to think that people here just like to rant.

• Nope. But I imagine it to happen after the events of the movie but it's not canon to Marvel Cinematic Universe.

SilentmanX posted: »

Is this game an original story?

• I guess I'm in the Minority because I loved this game sure it's not borderlands good but it picked up the further episode got. The comedy isn't the best but it will do and I fell some choices do matter. I'm glad I bought the whole season.

• So without spoiling anything, here is what I'm thinking. This game is terrible.

It features hubs which we have been asking for years to be in ANF, why does GOTG get that and not ANF?

Scott Porter's performance doesn't match Star-Lord's character. I liked his performance as Luke in TWD Season 2 and as Lukas in MCSM but this one. It's probably the first time I hate a great VA's performance on a great character. Also, Star-Lord's character model is crap.

Terrible story. I felt nothing attached to the story. It sucked. I enjoyed the movie better.

It tries too hard to be like Tales from the Borderlands. The jokes weren't funny enough to make me laugh.

This is the first telltale series that I'm NOT going to buy. I'm not going to fall for their shit again.

4/10

• So, yeah, I actually really enjoyed it. Lots of exploration, good hubs, voice acting was pretty good, episode was nearly 2 hours long for me, decent choices, I liked it. Still not a huge fn of the art style and the pacing could have been better, but overall, I thought it was a great start to the season. I already prefer it to ANF.

• I like this game. Humor can be hit or miss tho but besides that its been great so far, cant wait for ep 2

• That's a backhanded compliment if I ever heard one.

captainivy1 posted: »

I think I know why I liked the episode so much... Probably because you guys lowered my expectations so much, so thanks for that! I really li

• After playing it for myself, with an open mind.

I actually enjoy it, to my surprise. Which is odd for an IP that's nowhere near related to the zombie genre.

I actually enjoy meme-ing the shit out of this terrible game, lmao Glad it flopped.

This game b taking those 63/100 down along with it. Massive flop overall. Is this what you call a premiere, Telltale? LOL. Try harder on the next IP you're going to ruin.

I r8 -1000000000/10

• I pre-ordered on PS4. haven't played yet, I will tonight. I take people's opinion to a grain of salt. hopefully i'll like it

AChicken posted: »

For those who are sad to see such negative comments, I'm sorry. I was the one who put freelance up to make this thread so early. I knew i

• I agree on the "NEW IP" part. with this people will not have a set opinion on how an established IP like Guardians or whatever should feel like or play as. this way you establish your own strength and your team's potential. I hope they give extra care to characters, because ANF failed to do so. I will play guardians tonight so I wont judge it, hopefully it'll be better.

I will say this...it is not that the jokes are bad. I believe the timing is off, and I think it has everything to do with how the engine h

• edited April 2017

These forums used to be pretty fun, but Telltale's fanbase has been getting pretty awful lately. Anytime a new series is announced, a lot of people will just bash it like crazy, complaining how they'd rather have another season of whatever. Seems like a lot of 'em are going into these games looking for reasons to hate them. Shocked that people think GotG is bad, especially when it's so polished and has the return of hubs. This is easily the best thing they've put out since TFTBL, in my opinion.

• so is guardians suppose to be a laughing fest? I can count how much I laughed in the guardians movie. what I get is that its an adventure with comedy here and there, but not centered in on it. if this is suppose to be a borderlands comparison then do some actual research because borderlands is night and day different than what GOTG is.

The game was lame all what my eye caught was the existence of hubs and dialogue options......I thought telltale stopped making those ? Also

• The game was not even out and, already, a line of comments formed here to complain about the game and say it sucks. Well, here comes the hate train again.

Seriously, if it wasn’t for the people in this forum that make the effort to post news about the games to help us keep track, I would not even visit this forum anymore.

• There were already play thrus on YouTube...so it was early impressions.

TMLC posted: »

The game was not even out and, already, a line of comments formed here to complain about the game and say it sucks. Well, here comes the hat

• Also on the PS4 too.

If anyone's really reluctant, there's actually a free trial on Xbox One (I can't speak for other platforms) and it's a pretty generous free trial.

• I get the feeling that most people just want to hate this game and blame everything bad about ANF on it.

It features hubs which we have been asking for years to be in ANF, why does GOTG get that and not ANF?

Great. So this fanbase has actually gotten to the point where they hate a game because it does something better compared to their preferred game. How is this game having fun HUBs bad!? It doesn't have anything to do with ANF! If it had shitty HUBs, people would hate on it because of that.
    Besides, it's not like ANF doesn't have any HUBs, Episode 1 featured several big HUBs in fact (junkyard, Prescott, gas station etc.).

Scott Porter's performance doesn't match Star-Lord's character. I liked his performance as Luke in TWD Season 2 and as Lukas in MCSM but this one. It's probably the first time I hate a great VA's performance on a great character.

Considering how all of Scott Porter's performance sound basically the same (which isn't necessarily bad), this is a weird statement. I hear almost no difference to Luke, and while I can't talk for Minecraft, I would almost bet it sounded very similar as well.

Also, Star-Lord's character model is crap.

Most of the models look better to me than any previous Telltale game, including Starlord (unless you mean he's physically ugly, in that case I'm not really a good judge).

It tries too hard to be like Tales from the Borderlands. The jokes weren't funny enough to make me laugh.

You are the one trying too hard, in desperately trying to find connections between the two games. Tales was really goofy, with jokes every few seconds, and Guardians tries nothing of the sort. The two games are only alike in a few aspects, and it never felt like Guardians was trying to be like Tales. Though I will agree that the jokes were mostly pretty awful.

All in all, I'd say GOTG is a solid 7/10 so far. The story is mediocre and the jokes didn't work most of the time, but the voice acting, graphics and even kind of the gameplay this time around are good. Choices, while still not too hard, are also better than for example the ones in ANF. It's a good game that is sadly facing a lot of negative bias, some of it well deserved, most of it not.

AronDracula posted: »

So without spoiling anything, here is what I'm thinking. This game is terrible. It features hubs which we have been asking for years to b

• Besides, it's not like ANF doesn't have any HUBs, Episode 1 featured several big HUBs in fact (junkyard, Prescott, gas station etc.).

Look what I mean by hubs:

enter image description here

Choose more than just one conversation. ANF didn't have anything like this, Season 2 neither.

unless you mean he's physically ugly, in that case I'm not really a good judge

I mean that

graphics

Are you serious?

I get the feeling that most people just want to hate this game and blame everything bad about ANF on it. It features hubs which we hav

• I would very much like to know what exactly is so awful about the humor, I actually laughed a few times and thought a good amount of the jokes landed. Nothing amazing but it was still enjoyable.

• I am pretty disappointed. But I still enjoyed the episode. I got really excited after reading the episode's description and seeing their pictures, I thought it sounded really interesting.

Anyway, I might go into details later, but there were good parts and bad parts. The hubs, for one, were pretty good. The story, though, was pretty bad.

• Do you need to have a good understanding of the GOTG universe and the characters beforehand to enjoy (or at least appreciate) the game? Without it, do you think a lot would just go over your head?

I saw the movie when it came out and don't really remember all that much about the plot and characters. I might do a quick wiki search if the above is the case.

• Speaking as a Marvel fan with a great indepth knowledge of the universe... you'll be fine. If you've seen the first movie it touches on a lot of bases of that, though it's definitely it's own universe. But don't worry about not knowing things. You can have conversations with the crew early on about who Thanos is, Gamora's connection to him, why Drax hates Thanos etc. And there's a bio system on the ship too.

Outside the GOTG characters there's only one other Marvel character who makes a fun appearance via an email. Won't spoil who. But that's about as overly fanish as it gets.

darthsansa posted: »

Do you need to have a good understanding of the GOTG universe and the characters beforehand to enjoy (or at least appreciate) the game? With

• I only watched the movie GotG back in the days and I got the feeling that the game assumes you already know the characters and main lines of the universe. I really think you cannot appreciate nor understand the game without knowing the franchise. Now that I think about it, newcomers to GotG are going to be super lost.

I barely remember the movie but it clicked quickly while ̶p̶l̶a̶y̶i̶n̶g̶ watching the game.

darthsansa posted: »

Do you need to have a good understanding of the GOTG universe and the characters beforehand to enjoy (or at least appreciate) the game? With

• I honestly don't get why people are bitching about this game, because I LOVED the first episode. Wasn't sure about Scott as Star Lord over the logical choice of Troy at first, but I warmed to him quickly. Nolan is BRILLIANT as Rocket, and I was surprised to find how much I liked Drax, who is normally the least interesting Guardian to me. The fights are excellent, definitely the most fluid TT has done to date, and whilst the choices could have been better I liked what was there.

Also why the hell are people saying it looks crap? It's got a great comic feel to me and looks fine. Honestly I don't see what the fuss is about.

• edited April 2017

Once again I ignore public critique of the game and boy am I glad I did.

People are disappointed with TWD: ANF I'm enjoying it.

People hated Mass effect: Andromeda I love it.

People hate TTG GOTG again I love it. It's beautiful in terms of graphics and the storyline was pretty decent again I'm so glad I ignored what everyone else has said here was worth the £5.

My only problem is that it felt like they were forcing Rocket to be a...well a dick to be frank but apart from that I rather enjoyed episode 1.

• I don't give a shit if its a cover, the fact that they got a technically licensed song just for its menu is fucking awesome! Can't wait to play this after class!

• Also why the hell are people saying it looks crap?

Easy. Compare it to TWAU and Batman, their graphics looked more comicish.

I honestly don't get why people are bitching about this game, because I LOVED the first episode. Wasn't sure about Scott as Star Lord over t

• [removed]

Benjamin666 posted: »

Once again I ignore public critique of the game and boy am I glad I did. People are disappointed with TWD: ANF I'm enjoying it. People

• Just because it's a different style to those two doesn't make it any less comic based in style. If GOTG looked exactly like TWAU or Batman they'd be doing something wrong because those are different kinds of games, precisely because they are all different kinds of comics.

AronDracula posted: »

Also why the hell are people saying it looks crap? Easy. Compare it to TWAU and Batman, their graphics looked more comicish.

• edited April 2017

To me the choice was either units or an alliance with Nova Corps.

I myself valued an alliance along with units later down the line rather than an immediate unit inflow.

Edit 1: Not sure the bartender is going to be happy waiting 6 to 12 months for the tab to be paid off tho.

• Good reasoning. I was pretty sure from the start I was going with the Corps because I was certain the Collector wasn't going to trustworthy. I guess they needed someone to be the Nova truster and no one really fit in that camp, though on hindsight Gamora was probably the best choice.

To me the choice was either units or an alliance with Nova Corps. I myself valued an alliance along with units later down the line rather

• Well Gamorra respects the Nova Corp because they turned a blind eye to her past so she can right her wrongs by doing good.

I'm just glad they didn't this as an excuse to force Rocket to be more 'annoyed' despite it not being justifiable in the first place.

Good reasoning. I was pretty sure from the start I was going with the Corps because I was certain the Collector wasn't going to trustworthy.

• OzzyUKOzzyUK Moderator

I needed to remove some replys to this comment as they contained spoilers and this is a spoiler free thread, if you want to discuss spoilers please create a new thread to discuss them with a spoiler free title.

Once again I ignore public critique of the game and boy am I glad I did. People are disappointed with TWD: ANF I'm enjoying it. People

• I can't believe how it bothered some people so much. I, as a big ELO fan, can say that I didn't really care a bit.

I don't give a shit if its a cover, the fact that they got a technically licensed song just for its menu is fucking awesome! Can't wait to play this after class!

• Yeah, I think if Im going to play this game, Im going to have to not read the comments.

• edited April 2017

Alright just finished it. My hot take
    The good
    The villain has a great design and understandable motivations
    A couple chuckle-worthy moments though not on TFtB level
    Im digging the jet boots and verticality of some of the areas
    not super important but I love the main menu

The bad
    Star Lords voice is not great and it was bothering me the whole game
    Star Lords face is pretty bad
    Drax looks very Xbox original in terms of his character model
    Considering how much the movies are hyping thanos he comes and goes quick
    While there were some funny lines most of the jokes fell flat or worse were cringe
    Same issues with the engine as always
    Tension with Rocket felt incredibly forced and out of nowhere

• Very unfunny and plain bad

• I actually liked it. It was a solid start. I've never read the comics or seen the movie and I was still able to enjoy it quite well. I thought the pacing was good. The choices were fun. The characters are likable. Scott Porter is great IMO. I'm excited to see what comes of it. The whole same title screen thing does kinda bug me. It was cool for Batman but they should have done something different for ANF & GOTG. On a rating, I'll give the episode 6.75/10. Good setup and I think it'll pick up in the forthcoming episodes.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.