Is this game good?

I've heard a lot of backlash about the first episode and....is it really that bad? (I haven't bought it yet and I'm not sure if I should)

Comments

• If you go in with an open mind and don't expect the same humor and style of Tales I think you might dig it.

My only issue was that the episode was a little slow and didn't get the plot rolling till the 3rd act.

• It's not bad at all in my opinion. Definitely worth a go if you like Telltale style games and want something to play.

• Sure. It's quite good if you don't go in expecting something like TFTB. TFTB = comedy first, action on the side. GOTG = action first, comedy on the side.
    Get the trial if you're on the fence.

• Play it for yourself and decide for yourself is my advice.

But if you want my opinion... its bad. Really bad. Like really really bad.

• The "backlash" is just from people still pissed at Telltale over ANF. I think you'll like it fine.

• I think it's fantastic. Best game they've put out since Tales from the Borderlands, in my opinion. It does a great job of capturing the charm of GotG. I highly recommend it!

• I don't think it's as strong as Borderlands, but it's decent. They have a few things to work out, but if they can sort out the clunky dialogue ( the editing, not the voice acting )and maybe streamline the action - I think it's going to be a good addition to Telltale's line up. If you have a lot of doubts, buy it one episode at a time.

• Borderlands is better, but i did enjoy it and was presently suprised as i wasnt expecting much. Graphics were really well done and less glitchig than Batman.

• Many people are just pissed at it because it's better than ANF, which makes them jealous because they feel like TWD was held back by this game (which is utter BS, but this fandom needs a scapegoat for everything). Guardians is good so far. Not fantastic, not shit, just good. Like a 7/10 for me.

• edited April 2017

Its awesome if you have been liking most telltale games . But if you care a lot about graphics and attention to detail(lip sync , constant 60 fps and other stuff) then its just a good game .

• I love it fuck fake haters

• It's decent at best with unique new features and a cool take on QTE events and good music. The story is pretty bland with little excitement or immersion with characters that have potential if written properly. The animation and Lip Sync could use improvement with the music mildly compensating for the shortcoming of the animation and Lip Sync. The arguments in the game mostly come off as forced and manufactured for plot convenience. Overall the game isn't bad nor is it good although it is something you would pick up if your looking for a fun game to play.

• It didn't do anything for me, I recommend you watch a little bit of a let's play first to get a feel for it. That advice applies to all games.

• [removed]

Ekelund21 posted: »

It didn't do anything for me, I recommend you watch a little bit of a let's play first to get a feel for it. That advice applies to all games.

• edited April 2017

Playing as a Silent Star Lord

I like some of the responses I'm getting from being silent.
    like when waiting for my response on the radio.

results of not saying anything or choosing sides.
    Very few 1 or 2 can't remember where u have to make a choice.

Potential Spoilers

Q.T.E.

There's loads of parts where doing nothing does not lead to Game Over.
    I think there's around 13 parts where you'll die if you do nothing with different cinematic endings.

I am disappointed in how many things we do are just for show... what do i mean?
    any speed-runners just need to do nothing and it'll skip all that action to the inevitable results.

I'm fine if the end result is the same, i just find it pointless if Rocket is going to fall on the same spot when you either
    do nothing and drop right at the beginning or you run around the place like mad and still drop at the beginning.

And what's the point of all the shooting?
    Most people know it's pointless to shoot at a person like that... Did it change he's reaction at least?
    I'm not sure, did we see him blasting energy blasts lesser when we shoot back or is he still blasting the same amount?

It's just going to spoil our mouse faster for no reason. So I'm glad I don't have to and just watch him run around doing nothing.

• edited May 2017

It's totally worth it.
    While it doesn't completely live up the height of the movies, it's a great original tale of the Guardians. Interesting plot twists, interesting locations, and an interesting story so far.

Give it a try.

Edit: Oops. Didn't notice this thread was a month old. Eh, maybe this can be used to convince others other than the OP...

• edited May 2017

It is good. It isn't amazing but I enjoyed it. The characters are really likeable and the story is interesting. Just don't expect the best thing ever.

EDIT: I didn't realize that this was necro bumped. Shit, that's annoying.

• Yes it is.

• It's 100% sucks - i just don't get it...

• The game looks enjoyable.
    I hope I can buy this game someday.

• Have you played it yet? I know this thread was made last month. Try playing the demo to see what you think, that's what I did but I wasn't enjoying it so I didn't buy the episode.

• Blind SniperBlind Sniper Moderator
    edited May 2017

I think Episode 1 is a bit slow in areas, but it could lead to a decent set up as long as the momentum improves in Episode 2 onward. It focuses more on interpersonal character dynamics over action for a decent portion of the episode, and the conflict they set up for the Season starts, like, half-way or three-quarters into the episode.

• A lot of people aren't shitting on it because it sucks....it's because a lot of people don't care for this series while they were wanting something we've been waiting for....for fucking years :/

• If you like TellTale games and the Guardians of the Galaxy franchise, you'll probably like it.

It's a fun game. Take it for what it is, with an open mind, and you will most likely have fun.

• Characters, music and dialogue are great, but the plot itself isn't very engagening.

• A good effort, I liked it. I think it needs to find its groove, as some of the dialog seemed awkward. But, these are not insurmountable challenges. A series with a lot of potential.

• I haven't played this game at all, though I keep hearing that the humor in this game is really bad. Can someone give me a few examples of some of the jokes in this game?

• Pretty boring graphics really bad jokes/dialogue cringe voice acting meh story meh and slow choices really shouldn't be there

• I kind of hate it.

• As a huge fan of the movie, would it even hold a candle to it?

• edited June 2017

Whether something is good or not is a very subjective question. Have you downloaded the demo? It's what I do for every TTG game I'm not sure I'd like. The demo can give you a good idea of whether or not you'd enjoy the game.

My opinion, it's a wee bit clunky (a few awkwardly edited bits with the audio - dramatic music cutting out abruptly when a character is about to speak, awful lip-synch, stuff like that). Not as good as Borderlands so far, but much better than Game of Thrones.

Personally, I didn't think the trailer looked interesting, but I played the demo last night and enjoyed it enough to purchase a season pass, and played both available episodes.

• That depends. If you expect it to be like the movie, you won't like it. If you're open to seeing the same characters looking/sounding very differently, you might enjoy it. Try downloading the demo, it shows most of the characters and you'll get a pretty good idea quickly of whether or not you're going to like it.

I'm a fan of the movies and I like it so far, but that's just me.

Jimayo posted: »

As a huge fan of the movie, would it even hold a candle to it?

• Someone told me I'd bitten off more than I could chew and I made a somewhat awkward comment about just how much and how long I could chew for. IDK, I laughed at it. I'm easy to entertain.

BC_Guy posted: »

I haven't played this game at all, though I keep hearing that the humor in this game is really bad. Can someone give me a few examples of some of the jokes in this game?

• Drak taking everything literally gets old, but that's sort of his schtick, so I can't really expect the writers not to use it.

BC_Guy posted: »

I haven't played this game at all, though I keep hearing that the humor in this game is really bad. Can someone give me a few examples of some of the jokes in this game?

• Yeah, a LOT of people were really upset about it coming out just as ANF was coming out, thinking it would either slow down or drastically rush ANF. I was pretty pleased to get ANF completed without having to wait over a year like TFTBL, lol. And I don't think ANF suffered as a result of GOTG.

Honestly I wasn't interested in GOTG, but I was in the mood for something Telltale-esque and played the demo last night. Came off as awkward and rushed at first, but it grew on me the more I played.

The "backlash" is just from people still pissed at Telltale over ANF. I think you'll like it fine.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.