The Unoffically Official Morgan LeFlay Appreciation Thread

Comments

• edited August 2009
    *Seeing the threads for Winslow and Anemone popping up..*

What on earth have I begun?

AAAAaaaaaaanyway..

Lovely fan art, 10 hours you say? wow.

I was thinking more about this last night and I really do find it interesting that in the opening duel, even though he already lost his hand, the 'Brush makes not one offensive strike or cut towards morgan. as if from the very beginning of their "Relationship" (I mean that in a professional and spacial sense) he is already trying to show her a little bit of the magic of those stories she followed.
  • edited August 2009
    Morgan is perfect. She has some mysterious side of her. You can't really tell right away whether she's a goog or a bad guy. Plus she's a beauty.

I'd be thrilled to see Guybrush and her end up together :)
  • edited August 2009
    Woodsyblue wrote: »
    It was a giant manatee ;)

I should have realized that, from the way the statues were designed. I've got to play again and take a closer look at it. :S
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited August 2009
    (Also Guybrush and Morgan scream
    MANATEEEEE!
    when being eaten. I think Winslow is just screaming like a girl during that scene.)
  • edited August 2009
    Jake wrote: »
    (Also Guybrush and Morgan scream
    MANATEEEEE!
    when being eaten. I think Winslow is just screaming like a girl during that scene.)

Isle of Eve? : )
  • LozLoz
    edited August 2009
    So far, 'Tales' has been excellent for the addition of some wonderful new characters. Morgan is one, DeSinge is another, and also Anenome. And Winslow already feels like he's been part of the series for ages. I'm really impressed with these characters.
  • edited August 2009
    Loz wrote: »
    So far, 'Tales' has been excellent for the addition of some wonderful new characters. Morgan is one, DeSinge is another, and also Anenome. And Winslow already feels like he's been part of the series for ages. I'm really impressed with these characters.

I'm just happy to see that people are finally deciding to give this series a chance without complaining for the next thousand years or so.

Morgan Le Flay is amazing, and the puzzle with her is just another reason why this game could not have been made in 2D. By the next Monkey Island game, people will probably be clamoring to see Winslow, Morgan, and De Singe again instead of and/or alongside Wally, Murray, and Largo.
  • edited August 2009

I was thinking more about this last night and I really do find it interesting that in the opening duel, even though he already lost his hand, the 'Brush makes not one offensive strike or cut towards morgan. as if from the very beginning of their "Relationship" (I mean that in a professional and spacial sense) he is already trying to show her a little bit of the magic of those stories she followed.
    i think it's less guybrush trying to show her the magic, and more that that's just the way he is. he'd not really the type to attack a woman, even if she is trying to gut him.

guybrush is a good man.
  • edited August 2009
    Duate wrote: »
    i think it's less guybrush trying to show her the magic, and more that that's just the way he is. he'd not really the type to attack a woman, even if she is trying to gut him.

guybrush is a good man.

Everytime I see your avatar I hear Dominic Armato in my head going

"I love Grog.. Groggy Grog Grog. It's going down. Down to mah belly."
  • edited August 2009
    Everytime I see your avatar I hear Dominic Armato in my head going

"I love Grog.. Groggy Grog Grog. It's going down. Down to mah belly."
    the human torch was denied a bankloan.
  • edited August 2009
    If Telltale cannot get their hands on the MI franchise in the future, they can do very well with a Morgan LeFlay adventure.
  • edited August 2009
    i tried my hand on a "cell-shaded" version

morgan-laflaycell.jpg
  • edited August 2009
    Niiiiice! :D. Very very, nice.
    I like Morgan, she's a great new villian, I'd rather have her being Guybrush's wife, then Elaine, she just doesn't seem right for him.
  • edited August 2009
    hahaha thanks man

If you have a DeviantArt page you gotta link me :D (If you don't feel conformable submitting the link on a public forum just send it to me via private message :))

Also, I prefer the original to the cell-shaded. She just seems to fit more with the background :)
  • edited August 2009
    Funny really, first time ever i've heard people even talk about Guybrush's lovelife ;) Him and Elaine have always been such a constant of the series it seemed almost unthinkable to consider an alternative
  • edited August 2009
    Randulf wrote: »
    If Telltale cannot get their hands on the MI franchise in the future, they can do very well with a Morgan LeFlay adventure.

you know what, Telltale?

YOU WILL DO THIS.
    WHY?
    BECAUSE....

mentokwills.gif

Boo-wii-oop!
  • edited August 2009
    Woodsyblue wrote: »
    If you have a DeviantArt page you gotta link me :D (If you don't feel conformable submitting the link on a public forum just send it to me via private message :))

Also, I prefer the original to the cell-shaded. She just seems to fit more with the background :)
    of course i dont mind

http://garrenh.deviantart.com/

the more the merrrier, i always say!
  • edited August 2009

guybrush is a good man.
    I think this whole conversation is both ridiculous and either underestimating LeFlay or overestimating Guybrush. It's just what LeFlay says, she can match him blow-for-blow.

And he DOES make an offensive strike, it's one of the alternatives. "See if you can parry THIS!".

Guybrush has to "out-think" his opponent in a fight. The whole point of that sequence was to mirror insult sword-fighting's MEANING and PURPOSE without blatantly ripping the puzzle straight from Secret and Curse, and it was done marvelously.
  • edited August 2009
    I think this whole conversation is both ridiculous and either underestimating LeFlay or overestimating Guybrush. It's just what LeFlay says, she can match him blow-for-blow.

And he DOES make an offensive strike, it's one of the alternatives. "See if you can parry THIS!".

Guybrush has to "out-think" his opponent in a fight. The whole point of that sequence was to mirror insult sword-fighting's MEANING and PURPOSE without blatantly ripping the puzzle straight from Secret and Curse, and it was done marvelously.

And they make the point in the 5 minute/10 minute thing that she only THINKS she can match him, it's not proven.

I didn't know about that option, I never saw it. but I'm talking the regular animations, 90% of the time he is parrying her strikes. if she was truely his equal, he woudl be attacking and she would be blocking just as much, but he doesn't.

THAT was my point. there is no over or under estimation just commenting.
  • edited August 2009
    And they make the point in the 5 minute/10 minute thing that she only THINKS she can match him, it's not proven.
    I honestly think that she, in most respects, is far more competent than Guybrush himself.
    I didn't know about that option, I never saw it. but I'm talking the regular animations, 90% of the time he is parrying her strikes. if she was truely his equal, he woudl be attacking and she would be blocking just as much, but he doesn't.
    Doesn't that more imply that she had an upper hand rather than Guybrush being chivalrous(also known as belittling a person's ability based on their gender)? It seemed to me that the overall tone of the scene was that LeFlay was simply in charge. She grappled on without being detected, tied up the mate, cut off the hand, and engaged Guybrush without giving him much of a chance to strike(though he does get one in if you spend long enough messing with the puzzle). I think it was less that Guybrush was unwilling and more that he was unable.

Or Telltale only wanted to/could afford to do one set of animations. :)
  • edited August 2009
    I honestly think that she, in most respects, is far more competent than Guybrush himself.

Competency. Oh she is more than likely more competent in many aspects of life that the 'Brush, but I feel he is her match when it comes to Piratey wiles.

Doesn't that more imply that she had an upper hand rather than Guybrush being chivalrous(also known as belittling a person's ability based on their gender)?

Oh come off it, Chivalry is NOT belittling someone. It is doing something NICE for someone simply because you can. Opening a door for someone, helping them with something, what ever. It needn't be man to woman, it can be any combination of those genders.

It seemed to me that the overall tone of the scene was that LeFlay was simply in charge. She grappled on without being detected, tied up the mate, cut off the hand, and engaged Guybrush without giving him much of a chance to strike(though he does get one in if you spend long enough messing with the puzzle). I think it was less that Guybrush was unwilling and more that he was unable.

I'm not going to deny that LeFlay was in control of the overall situation, she put guybrush in a position few have even after 4 and a bit games. However go back again and watch the animation, watch guybrush. He doesn't seem to be defending in a panic, or parrying to save his life, it's somewhat blase, as if he could do it all after noon hence the "Aren't you tired yet?" comment. As if he is trying to wear her out rather than beat her. I'm not saying she isn't VERY VERY good, I'm saying in that scene, Guybrush seems to be in Easy mode. (this could very well be due to the animations and not intended, bit it is how it came across to me.) Plus I think we're Romanticizing it a bit lol
    Or Telltale only wanted to/could afford to do one set of animations. :)

true enough. ;)
  • edited August 2009
    Competency. Oh she is more than likely more competent in many aspects of life that the 'Brush, but I feel he is her match when it comes to Piratey wiles.
    And it seems to me that she's more competent in just about everything *but* holding her breath underwater. ;)
    Oh come off it, Chivalry is NOT belittling someone. It is doing something NICE for someone simply because you can. Opening a door for someone, helping them with something, what ever. It needn't be man to woman, it can be any combination of those genders.
    He's in a life-or-death situation and someone says he's not attacking because she's a woman. I don't see how that would be anything but condescending.
    I'm not going to deny that LeFlay was in control of the overall situation, she put guybrush in a position few have even after 4 and a bit games. However go back again and watch the animation, watch guybrush. He doesn't seem to be defending in a panic, or parrying to save his life, it's somewhat blase, as if he could do it all after noon hence the "Aren't you tired yet?" comment. As if he is trying to wear her out rather than beat her. I'm not saying she isn't VERY VERY good, I'm saying in that scene, Guybrush seems to be in Easy mode. (this could very well be due to the animations and not intended, bit it is how it came across to me.)
    I don't think the animation itself was supposed to convey too much other than "Swordfight". And anyway, the "Aren't you tired yet?" line heavily implied to me that he was just trying to find any humorous excuse out of a situation that was impossible without a stupid situation set in place by an adventure game puzzle.
    Plus I think we're Romanticizing it a bit lol
    Oh, definitely. ;)
  • edited August 2009
    For that entire scene, I was looking for a way to get him to jump into the ocean, just as a way to beat her.
  • edited August 2009
    tbm1986 wrote: »
    For that entire scene, I was looking for a way to get him to jump into the ocean, just as a way to beat her.

The moment I saw the Seagull with the hand, I knew the fish had to come into play somehow. wasn't sure how though.

but it does occur to me that if PoxElaine got pissed because the 'Brush said he didn't trust LeChuck, Imagine her reaction when she finds out that Morgan is a Woman and took his wedding ring lol
  • edited August 2009
    The moment I saw the Seagull with the hand, I knew the fish had to come into play somehow. wasn't sure how though.

but it does occur to me that if PoxElaine got pissed because the 'Brush said he didn't trust LeChuck, Imagine her reaction when she finds out that Morgan is a Woman and took his wedding ring lol

As soon as I saw the barrel of fish tied to the mast I knew it had to come into play. Otherwise there wouldn't be a barrel of fish there.

And if you try doing something at one point you hear winslow shout from the cabin something like "Do I hear someone messing with the fish barrel?"
  • edited August 2009
    I see a cute love story coming, a divorce from miss Threepwood, and a lot of funny love-comedy situations.
    I always looked for the "enemy-becomes-lover" situations. It's pretty rare...
  • edited August 2009
    Amaterasu wrote: »
    I see a cute love story coming, a divorce from miss Threepwood, and a lot of funny love-comedy situations.
    I always looked for the "enemy-becomes-lover" situations. It's pretty rare...

She already Idolises him.
  • edited August 2009
    She already Idolises him.

Enough to.. Oh, I don't know.. Kill Elaine to marry Guybrush Threepwood?!?
  • nikasaurnikasaur Telltale Alumni
    edited August 2009
    Nothing more romantic than marrying your wife's murderer.
  • edited August 2009
    nikasaur wrote: »

Yep. nothing more romantic. :rolleyes: Then again, this is a world of pirates...
  • edited August 2009
    nikasaur wrote: »

Wait, What?

Are you implying Morgan is going to Kill Elaine?

Yes I know you are responding to the above post. I am just screwing around.
  • TesterNickTesterNick Former Telltale Staff
    edited August 2009
    I posted a couple Wallpapers with Morgan in them if anyone is interested.

http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11469
  • edited August 2009
    those are awesome, thanks, TesterNick!
  • edited August 2009
    Time for some fanart!!!!
    It took me all day to make this. Literally ALL DAY. I wish I could do stuff like this faster.
    mogranf.png
  • edited August 2009
    hehe I thought it was bad luck to lick your knife ^^^

cool pic tho!
  • edited August 2009
    WEWT! More Fan art.

I might try my (very shaky) hand at something soon.

Was just replaying Spinner Cay when I noticed a Dialouge tree I didn't discover the first time between Elaine and the 'Brush about LeChuck and the moment on the boat. interesting stuff.

also when you offer Elaine the
    BIG pearl
    she says something like
    "I feel like I;d be stealing from the Oyster"

Not very pirate-y.
  • edited August 2009
    Macco wrote: »
    Morgan is perfect. She has some mysterious side of her. You can't really tell right away whether she's a goog or a bad guy. Plus she's a beauty.

I'd be thrilled to see Guybrush and her end up together :)

Agreed on all counts.

Call me crazy, I almost feel like things are heading in that direction, what with
    Elaine staying with LeChuck for what is kind of a lame reason IMO
    and
    Guybrush walking around with a WEDDING RING in his pocket
    . That last one had me thinking Morgan would be involved the moment Guybrush got it.
  • edited August 2009
    I've put this in the ch3 speculation thread as well, but how's about:

A MI musical song!

The voiceover for Morgan (Nicki Rapp) is a good singer and enjoys using it where she can. I do believe Dominic has done some singy acting in the past too but his arm would have to be twisted. As would Denny Delk's.

Sorry but the manatee seems a bit empty (even with Murray and maybe Stan there) until/unless De Cava shows up. Remember "Three Sheets to the Wind" from CMI? The episode needed a first half to flesh it out from the insult swordfighting.

Just a thought.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited August 2009

I wasn't around for the design of that scene, but my read on it since playing it was more that Guybrush was always on the defense because Morgan was simply better with a sword than Guybrush, but Guybrush could gain the upper hand because, while he's competent enough, he'd for some reason end up combining a bucket of fish with tipping a boat with a seagull with a plank and win that way.
  • BasBas
    edited August 2009
    Yeah... let's not have a divorce in a Monkey Island game.

Morgan is pretty great, though. The weird fangirlism and ruthlessness is a fun combo.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.