Life is Strange: Before the Storm Episode 2 Discussion (SPOILERS!!!!)

edited October 2017 in General Chat

:) Let's discuss the latest episode of Before the Storm! If you haven't played the game yet, I suggest doing so to avoid spoilers on this thread.
https://mobile.twitter.com/lifeisstrange?lang=en

Tagged:

Comments

• How does everyone feel about the new episode?

• oh, my god

OH, MY GOD

OH MY FUCKING GOOOODODODODOD ASHIFHSkfrhalfñ I LIKE THIS THING IN MY TROAT I CANT BREATH THIS WAS OMG OMG OMG

Ok, I'm probably like this cuz my third favourite song of all the time played at the end (I LiKeD It BeFoRe It WaS PoPuLaR) and I've bee saying for years that it was perfect for Life Is Strange.

It kida annoyed me that all the songs come from Daughter though. And it's mostly not the best (cough old) songs, mostly the new ones and the new ones are... eh. The previous game had a lot more variety in songs while still keeping the same athmosphere. I like these songs more because fuck pop (the only good song was Mountains), but I'm starting to feel tired of hearing Daughter all the time.

Youth, however, is the third best motherfucking song ever created.

But let's start from the begining. Nightmare? Weird as fuck. I feel like these guys are HITTING US IN THE FACE with the fire symbolism while still not letting us know what it means. I don't know if that's good or bad.

The whole thing with Mickey and Drew? I got two new favourite characters. Man, I really like these two now.

I feel like Mickey and Rachel inspire this "Protecting Feeling" to me (aka chloe), like I'm the big sister and I have to protect them and I like to feel like that. It's strange how it seems like Chloe is more grouded than Rachel. The scene of the play was cringy as fuck but at the end, it turned out to be "magical" Funny, cuz today i gave a violin concert and I could relate perfectly how Chloe felt. Study and preparation dont make you less frightened.

Eliot makes me nervous.

The "big plot twist" (come on i saw it since i saw rach's mom like any pixar fan that has watched way too may inside out teories knows that brown + black =/= blonde) at the end left me thinking, if Sera (I THOUGHT IT WAS RUTH!?!?!?) is Rachel's mother why 1) Chloe didn't feel need to tell Max about this like "Oh yeah she had this tons of family issues cant see how that would explain the desaparition of a teen talking all the time bout running away lol xd", 2) Who is her stepmom (anyone remember her name?) and why is she taking care of her? I mean I think I would remember not giving birth to someone she should know and, like I said, brow + brown =/= blode, only blonde + blonde = blonde so they're not sisters so what the heck, 3) Why isn't her mother taking care of here but follows everywhere like a fuckig creep, 4) what does this have to do with Damon, Mickey and Dree? 5) are the Prescotts involve with this at all? and 6) Does Rachel actually have powers? are they related to Sera not takig care of her?

I also think I noticed some kind of nod to some telltale games scenes "oh you drink the poisoned drink" "firah = some symbolism we havet come up with yet" "lol ravens" "MOM IS NOT MOM" "FAMILY THIS, FAMILY THAT, FAMILY WHAT, FAMILY KEKE" that's probably not itentional but it had me lol xd there

lol frank's name is actually francis

BABY POMPIDOU OMG I WANT ONE

but can we talk about that ending scene when all the voices are like, drowned in Rachel's anger and the flames go crazy (or maybe it was my imagination)? First of all, that scene was clarly from Rachel's POV, strange, uh?

Now, all I want to know is how does all the strings come together and how does this tie with either the first game or the sequel. Also please explain what the fuck is going on with the raven.

• edited October 2017

Excellent second episode! Deck Nine knows the source material better than Dontnod and in episode 2 it REALLY shows. The writing and dialogue is easily some of the best stuff in the series, which really helps with the slow stroll of a plot cause if it were anything as idle as season 1 it would just fall apart, but nah. Actual character growth and development from not only Chloe and Rachel but the supporting cast as well. Just bravo to Deck Nine and I'm confident they could wrap up this series with another 3 hours of game time. Don't disappoint me like last time life is Strange.

Oh thought this was the regular discussion thread my bad.

• Let's not forget about Frank's infinite supply of beans in the RV.

• edited October 2017

I AM SO CONFUSED HOW IS IT GOING TO ENDDDD???? DO NOT DISAPPOINT ME JUST LIKE AT THE END OF THE ORIGINAL LIS... And the bonus ep???? I don't understand

• Haha, yeah I really enjoyed this episode. Baby Pompidou was so cute. I agree with you on the Daughter songs, they're okay, but I think they could of used better songs. The graphics and facial animation was on point though. ?The romance between Rachel and Chloe was nice, better than Max and Chloe in my opinion. The Tempest play was the best part for me, especially when Victoria Chase fainted. ? I'm really excited for the next episode.

oh, my god OH, MY GOD OH MY FUCKING GOOOODODODODOD ASHIFHSkfrhalfñ I LIKE THIS THING IN MY TROAT I CANT BREATH THIS WAS OMG OMG OMG

• Died at that bit. ???

Shaboomm posted: »

Let's not forget about Frank's infinite supply of beans in the RV.

• EP2 was a great episode. It excelled EP1 in my opinion. I liked how we got to see how Chloe got her truck, how David got his "step-" nicknames, Pompidou as a puppy, and also, Chloe finally getting to kiss Rachel. The ending was crazy too. I wonder what Rachel is going to do in the next episode after hearing the truth?

• Anyone know what determines how Nathan acts during the play? I chose the "say something" option when dealing with Sean Prescott, and told Samantha to help Nathan. In my playthrough Nathan didn't have any trouble acting, but I've seen one where he starts crying.

• Just the Samantha choice I believe. I didn't talk to Sean Prescott but told her to help him and he did well.

MichaelBP posted: »

Anyone know what determines how Nathan acts during the play? I chose the "say something" option when dealing with Sean Prescott, and told Sa

• I did not play this game but reading this discussion it looks like interesting games. Actually, I am a research writer and providing best essay writing service UK to my students that is why I do not have enough time for playing outdoor and indoor games.

• I thought the first half was fine (just fine) and second half to be really good (except for the last 15 minutes which I felt was way too padded).

Dialogue is probably the best it's been, voice acting is an improvement from the previous episode, good length of three hours, lots of things to do in hubs, the play was really well done albeit really cheesy and I liked the argument at the end between Rachel's parents and Chloe with the fire on the candles rising higher and higher.

However, Chloe is still a bitch for no reason at times (it's her character to be like that but when it's unprovoked it's really annoying), Rachel's parents were really robotic in voice acting as well as animation (their eyes never moved), as I said the last 15 minutes in Rachel's home felt too padded with unneeded fetch quests, Rachel's powers are never mentioned and the plot twist at the end just felt really flat.

Overall I'd say it's a good episode. Better than the first but with the twist in this one just falling flat instead of giving me chills like the last one. I also still have the problem of wondering why this game exists considering all the choices we make will pretty much just disappear because it's a prequel.

• Rachel's house is like something from The Sims

• That moment when I start the episode at 10pm and I only just finished the episode at 2am

• Relatable.

Vanzam posted: »

That moment when I start the episode at 10pm and I only just finished the episode at 2am

• I thought Rachel was going to burn the house when Chloe and her parents were fighting lmao
    It would be possible since she had candles on her side

• That scene during the play, where Rachel goes off-script, is absolutely brilliant.

• edited October 2017

Is it just me or do anyone else think rachel is a manipulator? I personally don't think she cares about chloe at all.

• Hadn't even crossed my mind.. what makes you think that?

MosesARose posted: »

Is it just me or do anyone else think rachel is a manipulator? I personally don't think she cares about chloe at all.

• I did in the first episode, yeah. But after doing every choice I could to prove that Rachel has feelings for Chloe, this episode proved that. She stuck up for Chloe in Principal Wells office, she gave Chloe clothes for the episode, she made Chloe feel better in the car, she wants to leave Arcadia Bay with Chloe, she literally knelt down in-front of a crowd and "confessed" her love to Chloe, what more do you want?

I also tried to see if she would give me the bracelet (the one she gave Frank.) And she did, although she was hesitant at first. But she said she was just joking.

• That was a good episode. Im going through a tough time and this managed to get my head elsewhere for a bit. I am incredibly sad that there is only one episode left, so we think there will be yet another season?

The play was my favorite part, it reminded me so much of the high school theatre shows that I used to see and the theatre kids I hung out with. Also nabbed 9/10 of the graffiti, a drastic improvement over last episode. Made some questionable decisions like sticking with Mickey but keeping their money. Also refused the step douche even though I like him, because he reminded me of how my parents are with me. Way too confrontational and not sympathetic.

• edited October 2017

It just rubs me the wrong way how she constantly plays into chloe's ego, and is so adamant with this skipping town idea. She phrases this idea as if it chloe's idea all the time. Telling chloe it's what she wanted. Not only that, but she didn't confess her love during the play. If you'd listen to what she's saying, she basically is asking chloe to continue to go along with her and her idea to leave Arcadia bay.

Also, I can't help but think she was like this with Frank as well. If I remember correctly, in season one, in Frank's journal it mentioned Rachel and how he wanted to go away with her as well. I think she uses people to try to get what she want. She a good actress too and people play right into her act.

I can't help but think Chloe died in season one, because she was so manipulated in thinking Rachel loved her. That she continued the search which got her killed. Rachel wants to leave Arcadia bay, not Chloe, and she willing to use anyone to make that idea happen. Chloe has always been all talk and no action.

The only thing I just can't figure out is way can't she just leave on her own and leave chloe alone.

• Chloe does want to leave, she's just as eager to leave as Rachel, she's agreed to leave numerous times. Although, Rachel wants to leave immediately, which I don't think Chloe wants to do. As for the play. Yeah, same difference, she wants to leave with Chloe. Why would she want to leave Arcadia Bay with someone she doesn't like?

There was a lot of things about Frank and Rachel that don't add up. And to be honest I don't even think Deck Nine is going to be exploring their relationship with each other at all.

And I agree about the good acting thing, and she could be manipulating Chloe, they've been laying on the good actor thing a bit too thick, but I think there's more evidence that she has feelings for Chloe than against. Also the whole "don't get burned by the fire (beauty)" thing from Chloe's dream of William plays into this too, as I think it was implying Rachel is the fire. I guess we'll find out in the last episode.

• Anyone else tried to have a second playthrough? I have two saves and now I tried to play the second one and it's fucked.. the saves are somehow connected, shows the graffitis from save 1 and can't even speak to characters cause it's like I've already spoken to them. This sucks..

• edited October 2017

It was boring . I slept twice :disappointed:
    Batman episode 2 was 100 times better .

• edited October 2017

Deleted..

• Works Fine for me (Using Steam)

lilsnek posted: »

Anyone else tried to have a second playthrough? I have two saves and now I tried to play the second one and it's fucked.. the saves are some

• Yeah, Steam here too. Found discussions about this and they're apparently working on it. So you've had two saves of ep 1 too, wonder why the second save slot doesn't work for everyone.. isn't the game version same for everyone? Hope they fix this soon. Guess I'll play GOTG instead then lol.

Otherwise I really enjoyed the episode. Was nice to visit Frank's RV again, and kinda sad to see how clean it was compared to LIS.. and baby Pompidou was so cute. I'm so romancing Rachel, I don't think she's manipulating Chloe? What would she gain from that. I could be wrong.. but even if she was we will never know because Chloe doesn't think that in LIS. Right?

Works Fine for me (Using Steam)

• Rachel's powers are never mentioned

Might be because they don't exist. That wind at the end of episode 1 was most likely just a creative decision and not a show of Rachel having any sort of supernatural powers.

lupinb0y posted: »

I thought the first half was fine (just fine) and second half to be really good (except for the last 15 minutes which I felt was way too pad

• What about the fire from the candles rising at the end of Episode 2 as Rachel got more and more upset though. If it is literally just to make scenes more intense then that kind of takes it away honestly. It just looks weird now.

dojo32161 posted: »

Rachel's powers are never mentioned Might be because they don't exist. That wind at the end of episode 1 was most likely just a creative decision and not a show of Rachel having any sort of supernatural powers.

• I just found out that there is going to be a LiS s2 when this whole time I thought that Before the Storm was s2. I've been bummed out thinking there is only 1 episode of the series left but now I'm overjoyed.

• Yeah, Before the Storm is a prequel.. but there's going to be LIS season 2 with a whole new story which is great. I'm happy about that bonus episode with Max but it really seems like a cash grap (can't know the quality yet but still..) I love Max so much that I bought the Deluxe version just for that.

I just found out that there is going to be a LiS s2 when this whole time I thought that Before the Storm was s2. I've been bummed out thinking there is only 1 episode of the series left but now I'm overjoyed.

• Definitely has some sociopath/physchopath traits in her personality. But I do think she cares about Chloe, maybe just not as much as Chloe cares for her.

• Woah, I didn't even realize you could influence Nathan's performance at all! I just assumed he would do well.

MichaelBP posted: »

Anyone know what determines how Nathan acts during the play? I chose the "say something" option when dealing with Sean Prescott, and told Sa

• edited October 2017

Yeah, same, what exactly happens in the playthrough when he starts crying @MichaelBP ?

Apparently the reply thing vanishes when editing.. weird. Isn't that a flaw..?

• Basically he starts to cry and the audience realizes it. Then he looks at Rachel who is waiting for him to say his line, says " fuck you " and leaves the stage running.

Yeah, same, what exactly happens in the playthrough when he starts crying @MichaelBP ? Apparently the reply thing vanishes when editing.. weird. Isn't that a flaw..?

• I'm happy about that bonus episode with Max but it really seems like a cash grap (can't know the quality yet but still..) I love Max so much that I bought the Deluxe version just for that.

You know...I bought the Deluxe Edition as well or that episode...but lets look at it like this....So far...the first 2 episodes are over 3 hours, depending on your play style you could almost have played the length of ANF(And yes I know at this moment it is like beating a dead horse) ANF is 7 and a half hours long give or take for how much exploring you do....we are almost at 7 hours now in LISBtS depending on how much you explore and read your journal and take time to tag shit.

So in my mind...even if the Max episode is on the short side...I do not feel like I got taken by some DLC crap...because with episode 3...we could be hitting over 10 hours...and if you are someone who just got the regular edition for 17 bucks...that is a lot of bang for your buck. So the 24.99 I spent...I feel completely fine giving it to the makers of the game because they sure went above and beyond what I thought this was going to be.

Yeah, Before the Storm is a prequel.. but there's going to be LIS season 2 with a whole new story which is great. I'm happy about that bonus

• No I think Rachel suffers from some form of emotional empathic reactive disorder. She has no personality of her own...this is why she was described as a perfect chameleon by Jefferson. She reflects the values and attitudes of the people around her. It is why she can mingle at Vortex club parties with snobs yet be gentle and helpful to people like Justin and Chloe. Chloe is trying to be a rebel...so what does Rachel do? She is a rebel. Victoria is a snobbish bitch...Rachel gives it back. Justin is a laidback stoner who she tutors and feels a kinship with her.

This disorder was learned by watching her favorite parent...a politician who has to change his views and personality when ever he meets someone new. How many potential backers did he bring home to show off his family? How many times did he tell Rachel that we have to put on a show for this man...he is religious...we have to put on a show for this man...he represents the NRA...we have to put on a show for this woman...she has ties to the ACLU...we have to put on a show for this man...he represents unions.....so on and so forth.

And then...the only thing that has never changed...the one thing that has been the bedrock of their family is the steadiness of the mother father daughter unit....until she perceived a change(Wrongly as it turned out)...suddenly the only part of her life that is normal...is falling apart.

The ending of Episode 2 was great when everything was drowned out and it was just Rachel. That was blind fury...that was the dangerous part of Rachel Amber....that was the forest burning. It was her reaction to betrayal...and I would guess...it was what killed her in the end when Nathan...who as Jefferson said in LiS...fell in lust with Rachel...I think he fell in love...but his only way of showing it was through his art...and I am betting that she may have exploded and he tried to calm the situation down and accidently killed her...(his second accidental murder....calling it right now...he kills Samantha)

So I do not think she is manipulating Chloe..well not knowingly. It is just a by product of her disorder.

• edited October 2017

So, if Rachel is removed from the play, Victoria will be chosen to take her place. As she's preparing and reassuring herself before the play, we see how insecure she is about it all and how important it is for her to succeed. Chloe is later given the option to either literally bully Victoria out of the play by using Victoria's insecurities to her advantage, or to actually encourage her. Should she do the latter, as Victoria is thanking Chloe for her words, Rachel takes the oppotunity to drug Victoria's tea, which she later drinks and passes out from.

Like, what the fuck.

I know Victoria attempts to do the exact same if Rachel remains in the play. What's curious is how Chloe and Rachel play themselves victims in that scenario. How do you feel about this?

And also, I'm not completely sure about it, but I'd expect drugging other students to be a big infringment of not only school policy, but also the goddamn law. Is Rachel expecting Victoria to stay shut about it?

I'd also like to comment on how primitive LiS's choice handling is when compared to current Telltale. Back in the say when the original LiS was airing they were more or less at the same level, but now you can spot a big difference between the two companies on how they handle choices. All these branches ending up the exact same (drugged Victoria, Rachel in play, Chloe expelled either way) remind me a lot of 2014-2015 Telltale (Tales and Thrones were already above this level, honestly). Not that I'm saying it makes Telltale games better than LiS at all, or that the game is bad due to this. It's just something to think about. Telltale has improved in choice handling while LiS continues, more or less, the same.

• I don't think the bonus episode with Max is a cash grab at all. It's for the players that want a last goodbye to the story that they've enjoyed over the past 2 years. I doubt we'll be seeing the cast from these games again, so it will be nice to see Max one last time.

Although, Dontnod could always change their mind, which I think they should because there's a lot of stuff they left unresolved in the first season. Heck, I would be even happier with Deck Nine making a sequel to Before the Storm. There's a lot of story that can still be covered. And Deck Nine have been doing a better job in the writing department, they've also done a better job at fleshing out the characters aswell.

Yeah, Before the Storm is a prequel.. but there's going to be LIS season 2 with a whole new story which is great. I'm happy about that bonus

Sign in to comment in this discussion.