Life is Strange: Before the Storm Episode 2 Discussion (SPOILERS!!!!)

Comments

• I enjoyed both Life is Strange and Life is Strange Before the Storm so I think that episode 2 was awesome! I also thought that the fact of having Chloe participate in a play while she thought it was stupid was really funny and the gameplay section of that scene was unique and beautiful because it showed how much Chloe cares for Rachel and how much Rachel cares for Chloe. The dinner scene was good too but throughout that entire scene I was wondering how did Rachel have blonde hair if both her parents had dark hair, normally if a baby has blonde or light hair the hair will darken if both parents have dark hair, so the twist at the end was pretty expected at least for me. Frank's mission was pretty cool showing that Chloe felt like she didn't have anyone in her life anymore and that she had to resort to doing a job for Frank in order to make money. Chloe's story is really different and beautiful compared to other game stories I have played.

• Well the number of ways you listed the school play thing could go is impressive as far as choices go...I am not sure I agree that Telltale is ahead in that department after the ANF fiasco...however Batman is trying so I give you a point made on that. However I would point out that this is a mini-series made by a different company than those who made the original LiS...as for the drugging...yeah not a fan which is why I go for the getting VC to give up the post or stop her from drugging Rachel....(Hey that's player agency at work there)

Deck 9 will be a company worth watching after this Game...I hope they make more story based games and build on the craft. More competition is a good thing and will push Telltale and DONTNOD to do better.

So, if Rachel is removed from the play, Victoria will be chosen to take her place. As she's preparing and reassuring herself before the play

• I was pretty shook that Rachel actually drugged Victoria. Like, holy cow! No wonder Victoria hates her. I'm not even sure if Chloe would go as far as to drug a person for her own benefit.

So, if Rachel is removed from the play, Victoria will be chosen to take her place. As she's preparing and reassuring herself before the play

• edited October 2017

Sean Prescott is such a piece of work....and he does have the type of face to grace the top spot in Punchable Face's Top 100 Faces in Need of a Fist.

• I blame the VA Strike that targeted Square-Enix for the robotic parents lol. Moral to the story? PAY YOUR VOICE ACTORS BETTER AND TREAT THEM WITH RESPECT!!!

lupinb0y posted: »

I thought the first half was fine (just fine) and second half to be really good (except for the last 15 minutes which I felt was way too pad

• It looked like my Grandma's house...except way fewer cats.

ClemRanger posted: »

Rachel's house is like something from The Sims

• I mean, the original game didn't really have great voice acting either :P
    I'd just blame it on bad casting by both Don't Nod and Deck Nine.

I blame the VA Strike that targeted Square-Enix for the robotic parents lol. Moral to the story? PAY YOUR VOICE ACTORS BETTER AND TREAT THEM WITH RESPECT!!!

• Dontnod could always change their mind, which I think they should because there's a lot of stuff they left unresolved in the first season. Heck, I would be even happier with Deck Nine making a sequel to Before the Storm. There's a lot of story that can still be covered.

I would love to see a second season of Lis with the original cast and story, I am so sad is going to be a different story. Or as you said, a second season of Lis Bts, I can't believe we are already in the last ep :(

I don't think the bonus episode with Max is a cash grab at all. It's for the players that want a last goodbye to the story that they've enjo

• Idea for a new ‘Life is Strange’ game

Life Is Strange: Arcadia
    Set six months after the events of ‘Life Is Strange: Before The Storm’, you play as Blackwell’s resident cool nerd, Steph Gingrich, as she navigates the secrets of Arcadia Bay and low-key investigates the nefarious dealings of the Prescott Foundation with her best friend, Mikey North.
    With his brother Drew in jail for his involvement dealing drugs for Damon Merrick, and his father still homeless and without a job thanks to Sean Prescott, Mikey is temporarily living with Steph and her supportive father. Blackwell Academy has just started offering several new courses including a photography class run by new teacher, Mark Jefferson, but the game would deliberately focus more on the minor characters from the other games, so as to tell the bigger story of Arcadia Bay, rather than just a standard continuation of the Chloe/Rachel/Max story. Other featured characters could include Justin, Trevor, Dana, Juliet, Alyssa, Kate, Samuel, Daniel, Luke, Stella, Brooke, Samantha, Nathan, Warren, Ms Grant, Sean Prescott, Frank, and new characters like Anthony North (Mikey’s dad), Steph’s dad, the art teacher, and Steph’s new girlfriend.

As well as following a central mystery narrative the episodes would feature:

• D&D campaign mini-games with Mikey and others, set in the ‘Peaceable Kingdoms of Arcadia’, which mirror the story/characters in the town.
    • Quests to deliver Steph’s bootleg DVD orders to various characters for her side business, as an excuse to get information about the central plot from people.
    • Ideal spots to sit and ‘SKETCH’ people/places (the equivalent to the optional ‘PHOTO’ & ‘GRAFFITI’ collectible easter eggs.)
    • Discussion of the concept of ‘Arcadia’ (a spiritual utopia in nature) as depicted both in Renaissance art and Greek Mythology, as part of Steph’s research for an art class assignment.
    • Further exploration into the Native American culture and imagery on the edges of the other games, including reference to the Tillamook story of the Thunderbird and Whale, which supposedly refers to a large earthquake that occurred in the region in 1700.
    • As well as old familiar locations, new places like Steph’s house, the art classroom, the local skate park, a tattoo parlour or other shops in town.
    • Lots of film, comic and pop culture references.

I don't think the bonus episode with Max is a cash grab at all. It's for the players that want a last goodbye to the story that they've enjo

• LoL well they do seem to be more inclined to let Janitors have jobs....though...here is a thought. Unlike Telltale....they are relatively new to dramatic story driven games. I mean lets give credit where credit is due...Telltale gets amazing performances from their actors around 97% of the time.
    DontNod and Deck 9 gets 70%....Hmmm I think I will do some research on who they use as a VO director or what VO facility they use...it could be that SquareEnix just cuts corners on projects like LiS because they just don't care unless it is a flagship title like Tomb Raider or FF15(Though...not a fan of those voice overs either....Tomb Raider is great ...FF15 has some subpar acting.)

lupinb0y posted: »

I mean, the original game didn't really have great voice acting either :P I'd just blame it on bad casting by both Don't Nod and Deck Nine.

• Wow, definitely my favourite episode of Life is Strange series.

• Rachel drugged Victoria with her own shit. Seems fair to me.

• I don't see how the drugs Rachel used being Victoria's own makes Rachel's actions less bad? I mean Victoria had gotten her place at the play through completely legitimate means. Rachel was being punished for breaking school policy.

I'm not really bothered Rachel did it, I just dislike the double standards people have when it's Victoria drugging Rachel vs Rachel drugging Victoria. If you think one is bad, you should think the other is too, if you think one is ok, you should think the other is too.

Rachel drugged Victoria with her own shit. Seems fair to me.

• Rachel drugged Victoria with her own shit. Seems fair to me.

I believe Iron is talking about the scenario where Rachel isn't the lead in the play and Victoria doesn't drug her. If Victoria is the lead Rachel tries to drug her.

Rachel drugged Victoria with her own shit. Seems fair to me.

• Most of you say Episode 2 was the best so far, but for me personally, I did NOT like it. I'm not trying to be an asshole who finds terrible reasons to hate this game but I don't see any highlights about it. The only ones that I can see is Baby Pompidou (How can you NOT love puppies and kittens?), the gameplay content Telltale games had been lacking recently (Especially ANF) and the goddamn length (Mini-series doesn't mean it should have short length, Telltale). Other than that, there was nothing that impressed me. I started to hate Chloe even much more because in some points, she only has negative options which make her act like a bitch. I know prequels should not have continuity errors but the lack of silence option is disturbing as hell.

• The Telltale game that is still fresh on my mind due to having watched it recently is Guardians of the Galaxy. The thing is insane when it comes to the choice department, trust me, leagues above.

The thing about this choice that really reminded me of old Telltale is how illusive it is. When you're first presented with this choice it's pretty clear what's at stake: Chloe remaining at Blackwell, Rachel remaining at the Tempest and Victoria joining the Tempest. You know that by making one decision you are giving something up, thing is, you really aren't since Chloe is kicked out of school either way, Rachel joins the Tempest either way, and Victoria ends up being drugged either way. During your first run you're left thinking "I wonder how this scene would've played out if Victoria was at the play!" or "What if I hadn't gotten Chloe expelled" or "If I had distracted Victoria, maybe she wouldn't have taken the tea and something else would've happened!". They design these decisions this way, to have players feel like they've made a big impact when they've really not... that was extremely usual in previous Telltale Games and it's been progressively less. But as I said, this isn't, by all means, something that drags the game down that much. Choice handling is just one of the many factors which impact the game's quality. I for one still find myself (way) more gripped into this than I ever was in ANF, and you could argue ANF had better choice handling.

There's no doubt Deck Nine is exceeding everyone's expectations... though I'm a bit concerned on how they're presenting Chloe and Rachel's actions. The game seems to be promoting this terrible mindset that these two girls are, morally, politically and lawfully correct? When they're literally just brats. Not saying they aren't going through difficult times, but the game presenting Chloe dropping out of school as something... good? Her disregard of her mother's rules, wishes and needs. How hypocritical she is when faulting David for being jobless, when she is at school doing nothing for her future, just wasting her mother's money perfectly knowing the monetary difficulties they're going through? Or Rachel starting a wildfire presented as something not damnable in the slightest? This, among other things makes the company's policies... questionable for me. Still wish them success, by all means.

Well the number of ways you listed the school play thing could go is impressive as far as choices go...I am not sure I agree that Telltale i

• See I absolutely think Guardians is shit...the jokes fail...and I really do not care for the story...to me it is a major step back for Telltale.

The Telltale game that is still fresh on my mind due to having watched it recently is Guardians of the Galaxy. The thing is insane when it c

• edited October 2017

I was only talking about its choices, though, which are undeniably insanely well handled. Whether the story is good or not... Another discussion entirely.

• Hmmm that awkward moment when you remember that no matter what...in a little over 3 years game time...Chloe and Rachel will both be dead.

• edited October 2017

So do you guys think its possible for Deck 9 to break canon with an AU ending? Sort of petty for me but I've been enjoying this so much and I really just hate the idea of knowing how much Dontnod shits the bed with not Rachel (although her not vanishing and dying would be superb), but Chloe. I mean her writing improves throughout the course of season 1 (still need not as good as before the storm though), but just being reduced to girl who dies at the end or girl who is still gonna die at some point due to fate is stupid. I don't mind leaving Arcadia with Rachel and never meeting Max.

• Drugging people is wrong but what makes Victoria worse is that she had the pills in the first place for that purpose. Rachel wasn't the one walking around with that shit on her.

I don't see how the drugs Rachel used being Victoria's own makes Rachel's actions less bad? I mean Victoria had gotten her place at the play

• Would be cool...but I doubt it...with LiS 2 in production by Dontnod...I am willing to say that they do not want anything changed...because you never know what the future will bring. I will admit that it does suck thinking about Rachel and Chloe dying....it is possible that one day something will change.

So do you guys think its possible for Deck 9 to break canon with an AU ending? Sort of petty for me but I've been enjoying this so much and

• I just got into it! (don't hurt me ._.) it's a really good game. the writing is great and the storyline is intriguing. However, I started watching walkthroughs for S2 before watching S1 :# I'm currently catching up on S1 at the moment to understand S2. So far so good :)

• Welcome aboard...it hits you in the feels and has big emotional impacts...some of the dialogue is clunky...I put it down to they are using a Voice over house that is not used to doing big drama productions...it is good.

I just got into it! (don't hurt me ._.) it's a really good game. the writing is great and the storyline is intriguing. However, I started wa

• Despite the fact that I hate both LIS games, I gotta admit that the kiss between Chloe and Rachel is really well done, I can't believe I'm saying this. Great facial animations, no music to play, and slow movements. WAY better than Chloe and Max, the most forced and overrated romance in gaming. I dunno what to feel about Chloe and Rachel now but I still hate Chloe from the OG game.

• They've said LiS 2 will have nothing to do with Chloe and Max though. It's a completely new story. So, it wouldn't effect anything if Deck Nine changed the canon.

Would be cool...but I doubt it...with LiS 2 in production by Dontnod...I am willing to say that they do not want anything changed...because

• Yes, however even if it has nothing to do with them in S2...what happens if Dontnod wants to do something with them at a later date? Ultimately they are Dontnod's creations and sure....they could be completely done with them and never reference them. But ultimately I think they would prefer that they have the characters as they are....so they could potentially use them if need be.

They've said LiS 2 will have nothing to do with Chloe and Max though. It's a completely new story. So, it wouldn't effect anything if Deck Nine changed the canon.

• I don't think Dontnod would ever touch their story again, as they have previously mentioned that they are done with it. The most we would probably get are cameos, or easter eggs on their future titles.

• it hits you in the feels and has big emotional impacts...

Thx! and this is very true. I love the realistic storyline, probably one of the games where I can't guess what's gonna happen next. And that's always a good sign for me personally. I'm currently watching episode 4 I think, where Max prevents Chloe's Father's death, and I have to say I'm completely speechless.

Welcome aboard...it hits you in the feels and has big emotional impacts...some of the dialogue is clunky...I put it down to they are using a Voice over house that is not used to doing big drama productions...it is good.

• Hey guys... I'm having problems with my second save. I played the whole first one with the romantic route and shit, and the second one with more of a friendship thing. Now, I played Episode 2, blahblahblah, now I want to see how it would be if I made other choices and I want to play it again in my second save... but it's kind of broken. I got stuck in the junkyard part when you have to find the battery... I can't open the white car's hood and get the battery, as if the battery is already there, and inside it's all deforated with the things I put inside in the first gameplay. Anybody knows what happened?

• Episode 2 is steeped into references how Rachel is going to get murdered and buried in the junkyard, etc. One of the Graffiti choices illustrate map to where Rachel is going to be buried by Jefferson (or his accomplice.) Also one of those graffiti collectibles, you don't get two choices of what Chloe writes and achievement lampshades how it's "canon shot" or something.

Also Rachel being able to smash through that table without injuring herself or even break the glass in the first place by smashing on it, is quite impressive. I was expecting Rachel's power manifesting and cause candle flames to go out of control but seems that Rachel might just be "normal."

Rachel living in a wealthy family explains a lot why she seriously considers of running away with Chloe, she has no clue how the society works when you are not being drowned in money. In fact, the writing made it look like that she might be seriously dangerous to be around, something Chloe doesn't seem to pick up.

• This happened to me with my second save file. Unfortunately, I just had to restart the entire episode. I know it's a pain, but it should work.

Hey guys... I'm having problems with my second save. I played the whole first one with the romantic route and shit, and the second one with

• Well, thank you! I hope this works... please tell me it worked for you.

ColeKXL posted: »

This happened to me with my second save file. Unfortunately, I just had to restart the entire episode. I know it's a pain, but it should work.

• Uh... Hi? I think you already said that earlier? Or did I just read the comment again? Because I'm sure this was somewhere above too.

Uh, I don't undestand a thing you're saying. ...Who are you? Are you a troll or an actual teacher? Because a teacher would know that the concept of IQ is outdated and proven false.

Uh, again, what the hell are you saying?

• Yes, it did work for me.

• edited October 2017

I have a theory....one that has been in plain sight for awhile now.

I think Older Max is watching over Chloe...the only clue I have is the picture of Chloe and Max dressed up as Pirates....that is an older Max and not the younger one we saw in the flash back in S1.

• I'm pretty sure that exact picture appears in S1 though. Also, Max's time travel doesn't work that way. It's her consciousness that goes back in time, not her physical 18 year old body.

I have a theory....one that has been in plain sight for awhile now. (Spoiler)

• I know...but I am trying to maybe explain a picture with an older Max...in theory say her powers did not go away after the events of LiS...what if as she got older they became more powerful...so much so that she was able to go back. Now of course this does fall apart as a theory when you have to ask...wouldn't Chloe notice Max being 18-19 years old....ok I have another theory...the art department screwed up with the photo.

I'm pretty sure that exact picture appears in S1 though. Also, Max's time travel doesn't work that way. It's her consciousness that goes back in time, not her physical 18 year old body.

• I think it's very interesting how Rachel's character is being developed as well as her relationship with Chloe. I mean, real talk, this prequel is a tribute to Rachel. People are really fast to trust Rachel, and I find that extremely interesting. Throughout the prequel, the game is screaming at you not to trust her. She started the fire, her spirit animal is the raven, and it is highly suggested that she's the storm. Let's not forget all of the actions she committed before the events of season 1. Rachel is a mystery, even on her own. Shes friends with everyone, she has all the looks, and shes an actress. Shes fake. She's the perfect storm. However, I think a lot of players forget about her actions, and love her anyways, which is what happened to me. I feel like by the end of episode 3, a piece of info from sera may or may not put these feelings to rest.

Note: I am not saying Rachel deserved the things that happened to her at all, I just think she was playing with fire (wink wink) and that's what got her killed. She obviously loved chloe, but being a teen is very frustrating. Rachel wanted to leave Acadia bay, but felt trapped and bored. I have a personal theory that Acadia bay is cursed, and no one can leave.

• She strikes me as a charming young woman who has no idea what she wants. People are drawn to her because she knows how empathy works and how to use it to get her way. Which must be infuriating for her...imagine you have no idea what you want and yet can have anything...no wonder she is angry.

She uses other people to give her a purpose...and it excites her for a time....but then it gets old. She is not a bad person as she does genuinely care about people. But like a lot of people...she just has no clue what she wants...but she has the ability to attach herself and live through the dreams and wishes of others.

colbyjack posted: »

I think it's very interesting how Rachel's character is being developed as well as her relationship with Chloe. I mean, real talk, this preq

Sign in to comment in this discussion.