TWDG Original/Remastered Comparisons

Feel free to post your own. I've noticed a lot of things from the beginning that've been enhanced, like the highway having more detailed scenery instead of 2D-ish trees, more foliage and added items in the backgrounds. There's more consistency with the lighting inside the house and outside to show it being near to sunset with the orange tinge.

It's not 100% perfect through and through with the remastering, the eyes can look a little funny sometimes, but aside from that I'm liking the improvements. Not seen anything as bad as remastered Tidus, although Shawn in some dusk lighting looked a little scary.

Comments

• GohanFGCGohanFGC Banned
    edited December 2017

Well...I can say that the game looks a lot more Colorful than the Original. And the textures have a little bit more Depth than the Original.

• I guess I gotta watch a play-through because I'm not seeing this eye issue I keep hearing about. The eyes look fine from the screenshots I've seen so far.

• DeltinoDeltino Moderator
    edited December 2017

Here's a big ol pack of comparisons:

Original:

Collection:

Original:

Collection:

Original:

Collection:

Original:

Collection:

Original (Personally, I still prefer this one):

Collection:

Original:

Collection:

Original:

Collection:

Original:

Collection:

Original:

Collection:

Original:

Collection:

Actually, here's some more:

Original:

Collection:

Original:

Collection:

Original:

Collection:

Original:

Collection:

Original:

Collection:

Original:

Collection:

Original:

Collection:

• And some comparisons for 400 Days:

Original:

Collection:

Original:

Collection:

Original:

Collection:

Original:

Collection:

Original:

Collection:

Original:

Collection:

Original:

Collection:

Original:

Collection:

Original:

Collection:

Original:

Collection:

Original:

Collection:

• Wow! Thanks for all the screenshots, can't wait to see the differences

Can you give us an impression regarding the performance? I feel all the graphic upgrades won't mean much if there's the classic "Telltale Stutter" and it can't stay at a consistent 30fps.

• Does anyone have any comparisons from Season 2? I've looked everywhere for a playthrough and I can't find anything.

• Agreed

Batteries posted: »

Does anyone have any comparisons from Season 2? I've looked everywhere for a playthrough and I can't find anything.

• Same here.

Does anyone have any comparisons from Season 2? I've looked everywhere for a playthrough and I can't find anything.

• …
    Seems like they forgot to add the shadows to hide the daughter's faces. Either that or it was intentional for whatever reason.

• Holy shit LMAO™, I still can't believe this.

The penultimate scene—the one in which the whole point is that Michonne vividly hallucinates her daughters for the first time, and thereby has to make an effort to get out of
    her powerful hallucination so that Sam can live—is effectively rendered pointless. It doesn't make sense for that scene to be so important if the player has already seen her daughters.

Gameserer posted: »

Seems like they forgot to add the shadows to hide the daughter's faces. Either that or it was intentional for whatever reason.

• How is it that the mood lighting has improved for some scenes and worsened for others?

• Just guessing here but it was probably just an automatic process and they didn't go scene by scene hand crafting it.

How is it that the mood lighting has improved for some scenes and worsened for others?

• Can people still buy the original versions in the console stores?

• Here's some:
    (PC top pic, remaster bottom)

(no blood on her face/arm. another blood texture bug I guess)

(not sure if the camera blur removal was intentional or not)

• ORIGINAL:

COLLECTION

• edited December 2017

Telltale, do you want me to hate you or be excited for Season 4 that's probably going to flop?

WHY THE FUCK ARE THEY REMOVING THE BLOODSTAINS!!!!????

Graysonn posted: »

Here's some: (PC top pic, remaster bottom) (no blood on her face/arm. another blood texture bug I guess) (not sure if the camera blur removal was intentional or not)

• Thanks for these. I can finally see the differences lmao.

Here's some: (PC top pic, remaster bottom) (no blood on her face/arm. another blood texture bug I guess) (not sure if the camera blur removal was intentional or not)

• Wow. Call me crazy, but I think the Season 2 remaster looks better than Season 1's.

• Agreed.

Wow. Call me crazy, but I think the Season 2 remaster looks better than Season 1's.

• edited December 2017

From what I can see, it's like 50/50 with season 1 with added shadows and lighting (like hershels farm looks 10 x better in the remaster but gil's pitstop looks better in the original), while season 2's remaster looks like a crappy downgrade in every aspect. (like its been smoothed over with butter?) Who the fuck approved THIS face? Who is this? Not muh clementine!

• The higher poly count in the remastered Season 2 Clem model kind of looks more in line to the ANF Clem (funny how updated poly counts and shading does that). However with that being said, Season 2's original look in better than the remastered version. S2 just had everything perfect in terms of looks, colors, and atmosphere. The remastered, while connects it with the remastered S1 and ANF, takes away from that visual dynamic that I enjoyed. I appreciate what they did for the updates and all, but (at least for S2) this falls under the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" clause.

• My opinion: Season 1 Clementine looks alot better in the remaster, she doesnt look like a pale vampire, vegetation and alot of textures look better

Season 2 has lost alot if not most of that charm that it had, the artstyle is almost completely gone, and its most noticeable on Clementines face, which somehow seems to have worse looking lighting than before, and the iconic "comic book" looking lines in her face is almost completely gone, which is part of what made her season 2 model so good IMO, also removed bloodstains in some cases which is like WTF? bloodstains staying on characters for long periods of time is a huge part of immersion

• edited December 2017

It's true, isn't it? Season 2 was the like the peak of the game's art style, but the writing started taking a hit. It was all downhill from there.
    Damn shame.

eRock92 posted: »

The higher poly count in the remastered Season 2 Clem model kind of looks more in line to the ANF Clem (funny how updated poly counts and sh

• Here is a completely unexpected change

Kenny in the original version of S3:

Kenny in the collection version of S3:

They actually DID something to the episode 1 model

I mean, it ain't exactly perfect, but holy crap they actually went back and did something

• ...Meh.
    Sure, he doesn't look like a melted action figure anymore, but I can't say that's an overcome milestone to be proud of.
    Plus, they kept the stupid, terrible eyepatch.

Deltino posted: »

Here is a completely unexpected change Kenny in the original version of S3: Kenny in the collection version of S3: They actuall

• I mean, look at it this way-- I was expecting nothing... and I got something

And something is usually better than nothing

Ergo, I am okay with this

DabigRG posted: »

...Meh. Sure, he doesn't look like a melted action figure anymore, but I can't say that's an overcome milestone to be proud of. Plus, they kept the stupid, terrible eyepatch.

• True dat.

I mean, look at it this way-- I was expecting nothing... and I got something And something is usually better than nothing Ergo, I am okay with this

• Does any other ANF model have adjustments?

• Looks even worse to be honest

Here is a completely unexpected change Kenny in the original version of S3: Kenny in the collection version of S3: They actuall

• Blackening what probably should be a whitish beard might be the issue.

xxplvb posted: »

Looks even worse to be honest

• edited December 2017

Probably also the nose

DabigRG posted: »

Blackening what probably should be a whitish beard might be the issue.

• Well, It looks like Lee's "Looking at Carly Face" is still in the collection.

God please don't take that away

Here's a big ol pack of comparisons: Original: Collection: Original: Collection: Original: Collection: Original:

• Only A New Frontier deserved this kind of treatment, not Season 1 or 2, goddammit.

• edited December 2017

Okay, looking at all the pictures people have posted, I have to say I'm impressed. But, it's not a perfect visual remaster. Some scenes didn't need motion blur, or pop-out filters -- lookin' at the train scene, the Everett Pharmacy, and a few key 400 days scenes: Shel's camper, a few shots of Gil's Diner (which, by the way, can you still see Kenny there in the opening shot?). And there are a few model changes I don't like: S1 Clem's face looks kinda strange with all those new polygons on her. Her face is less round, so it makes her look older, but I much preferred how it originally looked. She looks a lot older than she should be.
    Season 2 looks pretty much the same, but the lack of some of the blood-soaked models is kinda sad. Hopefully that can be fixed.
    Michonne.. there aren't many pictures of that up yet. Can't say I approve of the removal of shadows on her kids though. Like what BTS said, it's what made the burning house scene so impactful (She could finally confront her demons for who they are, and accept to move on.)
    Am I the only one who prefers the old Kenny model over this? I don't think I like the whole model, but the beard really irritates me. The all-white beard looked better (though he could have used a trim), as this darker-but-slightly-white beard looks odd for his face. Makes him look like he joined a biker gang or something.

Though, this is just for the visuals, and I don't approve of a few other special things they decided to remove and/or change for this. [cough]s1+2endingsongsandthebadassglasswieldingleeinepisode5 to name a few things

• Thats his episode 4 model, I hope they did the same for jane too

• cutupuss-cutupuss- Banned
    edited December 2017

What about this one? Much better

• edited December 2017

I personally still prefer the original shots than the collection. Sure some have improved with the textures/lighting etc but i will never buy the collection for a few slight changes like this

• edited December 2017

I don't know where to put this but I need to say my piece about this new collection. It was honestly perfect for me. I just bought a PS4 and with this new final season, I'll need to replay the game series I've come to love. What better way to do that than with improved graphics and animations right? Wrong. This collection is just off. Getting rid of the left trigger in action sequences? Why? Completely scrapping the glass shard? Why? I don't know if it's a bug or what but in Duck's final moments on the train where you clean his face of blood there was no blood stain in the first place. I can't even talk to Christa at the tanker either, I missed out on one of my favorite interactions of the entire series. With these bugs and other problems you're better off saving your money and buying the individual seasons on sale. A fix may come but until then just wait.

• Ugh, the deck scene is left entirely intact and there's an audio bug at the standoff (Natasha's English demo line plays).

• Aaaaand you can't shoot Mike. Wonderful. Literally no meaningful changes, just slightly prettier in some aspects. Without even looking at the rest, I gotta say it's not worth it, even on discount.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.