"How It's Gotta Be" Episode Discussion

Comments

• edited December 2017

I’m very certain that Carl’s death will sway Rick from killing Negan and sparing him like he did in the comics following Carl’s speech about not everyone is bad and that saviours can be spared

• Man, what were those fools thinking - walking around without any sort of body armor. And how does one get a bit like that anyway? Also, was a fairly fresh walker that did that? Some of the walkers look as if their bones are too decomposed to be much of a threat.

• Fasho

Black-Op1 posted: »

Way to put Siddiq on the shit list immediately

• So...many...comic storylines....gone....

Hm. I wonder if we’ll see Lydia. Surely we will? I wonder how that will play out.

• I'm still in shock. Can't believe Carl's gone. I just can't. Was thinking this could actually ruin the show. But then I thought. The show has been pretty close to the comics since season 6. Maybe it's time to break off from that. They have a lot of great characters. And taking the focus away from Carl and Lydia would be awesome, imo.

Still, Carl was awesome. A great example for young kids in this world.

RIP Carl... Rest In Pudding.

• This probably should be its own thread... but what did you all make of the helicopter in episode seven, "Time for After"... the first episode of the second half of this season has got to deal with the whole death of **** and Negan/Rick's fight et al... but what about after all that? That was such a big tease. I don't read the comics... so I'm dying to know who the next group of people are.

• edited December 2017

Yah. He could've beaten Gabe in a pudding eating contest anyday

He's on a totally different level

GiantKiller posted: »

I'm still in shock. Can't believe Carl's gone. I just can't. Was thinking this could actually ruin the show. But then I thought. The show ha

• I feel like Carl's death was not timed well and not meant to be there at all. Me being a Carl and comic fan i got livid, mostly because the whisper story line. If you don't read the comics Carl plays a big role is the whisper war, and he kinda caused the war to happen. I do feel like Carl's role with the whispers will be taken by Enid or that kid at the kingdom.

• all i can say is...

good fucking luck writing yourself outta THAT corner, gimple. hope the miniscule ratings boost was worth ruining your shitty show even further.

• Is it me or does Scott Gimple remind anyone else of Geoff from Rooster Teeth?

all i can say is... good fucking luck writing yourself outta THAT corner, gimple. hope the miniscule ratings boost was worth ruining your shitty show even further.

• Ima tell you why Carl left the show real quick... the real world happens.

all i can say is... good fucking luck writing yourself outta THAT corner, gimple. hope the miniscule ratings boost was worth ruining your shitty show even further.

• No one is making you watch you know? Lol even though i do agree. It’s Glen Mazzara with Andrea all over again

• Nah you cant use that excuse cause Chandler bought a house near the set recently so he wasnt expecting to be killed off and it was confirmed to be the writers decision in an interview.

Melton23 posted: »

Ima tell you why Carl left the show real quick... the real world happens.

• Well they could’ve just decided to send him off because he wants going to that university, until he found out he got fired he decided to pursue a further acting career, so they more than likely thought it was best for him

UrbanRodrik posted: »

Nah you cant use that excuse cause Chandler bought a house near the set recently so he wasnt expecting to be killed off and it was confirmed to be the writers decision in an interview.

• i don't watch it though. i haven't seen an episode since the season 6 finale. a friend of mine just updates me every time gimple fucks up lol.

dan290786 posted: »

No one is making you watch you know? Lol even though i do agree. It’s Glen Mazzara with Andrea all over again

• Well i’ll be loyal to the end either way

• "Oh no now Otis's sacrifice was for nothing!". I'm shocked nobody here said this already. Anytime someone on here brings up Clem's possible death it's "Oh well impossible because Lee will have died for nothing". LOL As though it's a transaction of sorts.

• This show has truly gone downhill, after the Season 7 finale I stopped keeping up with it and from what I have seen of this season, their storytelling is just becoming more ridiculous and predictable.

• edited December 2017

Predictable? I did not see Carl dying, Daryl letting the Saviors free, Carol calling King Ezekial "your majesty" or, Eugene joining the Saviors coming.

And I thought S7's finale was awesome. I know a lot of people think the show has gone downhill since S6's finale, but that was awesome as well, imo. Especially the uncensored version.

I think each and every character is super awesome. Although they need to give Jesus a bigger set of balls. Maggie is filling the boots of her counterpart, which I didn't think could be done. They're writing her really good *well. They'll be able to move on w/o Carl. Hell they can kill Rick, and still have an awesome show.

prink34320 posted: »

This show has truly gone downhill, after the Season 7 finale I stopped keeping up with it and from what I have seen of this season, their storytelling is just becoming more ridiculous and predictable.

• edited December 2017

I'm hearing a lot of people talking about replacing Carl because they see no other way to deal with Lydia. But they could just scrap that arc and go a different direction. Like when she gets brought to Hilltop, she can just fall in love with the place, and not want to go back. Maggie sees that, and wants to help her.

But I'm more excited to see crazy, rage filled Rick. I'm sure after hearing their stories, Rick's gonna have a few words with Daryl, Tara, and most importantly Siddiq. More so Daryl, imo. I mean he can potentially kill innocent people, but can't kill Dwight? What's up with that shit?

Also, it'd be cool, after the time jump, to have Rick's premonition completely wrong. Carl was in that, btw. Like maybe instead of breakfast with the family, they have him, idk, sleeping on Carl's grave?

• shit you're right

MRSHYGUY45 posted: »

Is it me or does Scott Gimple remind anyone else of Geoff from Rooster Teeth?

• Well i’ll always stay loyal as long as my fav characters are still around. They do need to replace Gimple now though. I still enjoy the show but not as much since they left the prison in my opinion. All shows usually decline in quality after several years on the air anyway. Look at how bad The Simpsons is now for example

This show has truly gone downhill, after the Season 7 finale I stopped keeping up with it and from what I have seen of this season, their storytelling is just becoming more ridiculous and predictable.

• I will say this though, there are far too many characters in the show ever since Season 5 to be honest and that is what really fucks things up for me. How am i supposed to grow attached to characters who get 2 or 3 episodes of air time? When Aaron’s boyfriend died they made it out like we should be devastated but I couldn’t care less! And that’s because Eric wasn’t given sufficient time onscreen to care about him. I’d say if killing Carl is going to affect the future storylines from the comics then good! I feel the show should slightly stray from them.

• Almost all of my favourite characters are dead and I’m still watching and enjoying it more than the earlier season. Negan killed my first and second favourites, then we have Tyreese, who was my 3rd fav died, Hershel was killed by the governor, Carl is going to die, they made Morales an antagonist, making me like him less and then proceeded to kill him which I was pretty pissed about but I loved him in season 1 and finally Shiva. AMC just loves to kill everyone I really love.

dan290786 posted: »

Well i’ll always stay loyal as long as my fav characters are still around. They do need to replace Gimple now though. I still enjoy the show

• I will be honest this episode was not as great as some of the other midseason finales. However, it did have its positives such as the moment between Carl and Negan. Carl's character was well written in that scene and there is also a moment where Carl looks like he is trying to tell Negan that he is bitten but seems like it might be foolish because it might give Negan an advantage in the war somehow. I do think that the show should start pulling away from the comics but they should've at least let Carl live a few more seasons since he is important to an upcoming storyline. There are only two more characters that I honestly feel make The Walking Dead great and that is Rick and Negan and if they kill off Rick I will definitely not be interested in the show any longer. Negan is one of the most intimidating villains in the show because of his unpredictability, he always seems to have something up his sleeves. I really want them to replace Scott Gimple or have someone help him run the show because he is trying to tell too many stories at one time and the fact that the time jumps are also happening every episode is confusing and annoying as shit.

• i have a feeling the producers killed chandler off because of his shitty acting. thats a shame cause comic carl played a major role in the story and we'll never see it. they may as well end the show at this point, its pretty bad lol

• Why do you watch it or want anything to do with it if it is pretty bad?

cleminist posted: »

i have a feeling the producers killed chandler off because of his shitty acting. thats a shame cause comic carl played a major role in the story and we'll never see it. they may as well end the show at this point, its pretty bad lol

• You think siddiq will be a big enough character to take on that role? Now being "apart" of the group? idk if he'll be an ongoing character in the series but I wouldn't put it past gimp lol.

btw I just started reading the comics. No where near his storyline yet so I don't really know too much about him apart from what I seen on the show.

I feel like Carl's death was not timed well and not meant to be there at all. Me being a Carl and comic fan i got livid, mostly because the

• edited December 2017

Carl's most likely dead...rick has no reason to continue living yet he still lives somehow...and yet I continue watching.

• The show is imploding upon itself and rightfully so. Gimple has turned what could have been tv's dark masterpiece into a soap-opera that insults the intelligence and patience of the viewer. His unrelentingly egotistical attitude has resulted in mind-blowingly terrible writing decisions.

Everything they do poorly, they have doubled down on. More red shirt deaths. More "shocking" midseason cliffhangers to force viewers into returning. More cheesy dumpster fakeouts. More filler shots that are as time consuming as possible to get us to the next commercial break.

Something that everyone should know is that Gimple promised Chandler Riggs (Carl) another 3 years on the show. Chandler proceeded to buy a house close to the set and even postponed going to college to stay on the show. And then Gimple fired him, right before his 18th birthday. It's slimy as fuck and even though I'm not a huge fan, Riggs deserved better.

Gimple is an example of how an egotist in power can ruin something good and ripe with potential. He acts like he is this genius showrunner when in reality the show is BASED OFF A COMIC BOOK. Everything original he has done is ridiculously bad, yet he refuses to listen to criticism and keeps doing these stupid things even more. I knew he was ruining the show back in s5 and it's a shame it took this long for most people to realize it because the show is basically unsavable.

• Something that everyone should know is that Gimple promised Chandler Riggs (Carl) another 3 years on the show. Chandler proceeded to buy a house close to the set and even postponed going to college to stay on the show. And then Gimple fired him, right before his 18th birthday. It's slimy as fuck and even though I'm not a huge fan, Riggs deserved better.

That's pretty messed up if it's true.

• Mid-season premier:
    Carl: My goodness, I can't believe I ran into those cannibals and one bit me!
    Then everyone throws their TVs out the window.

• Chandler Riggs' own father posted about it on Facebook (but later removed the post)

RichWalk23 posted: »

Something that everyone should know is that Gimple promised Chandler Riggs (Carl) another 3 years on the show. Chandler proceeded to buy a h

• I hate it when people say "Oh why do you even watch it" or "why are you even here then" because it suggests that viewers who have made a considerable time investment into a show cant provide criticism or negative feedback when the product has a noticeable drop in quality. It's the same thinking that led to this situation in the first place; "if you dont like it then shut up this is what we're doing". Yeah okay, how did that work out for you Gimple?

Why do you watch it or want anything to do with it if it is pretty bad?

• OzzyUKOzzyUK Moderator

I saw the screenshot of that.

It seems a pretty crappy thing to do and i would be super pissed in their position.

Chandler Riggs' own father posted about it on Facebook (but later removed the post)

• Yeah, well I don’t like it when people do stuff that they don’t like out of their own freewill but shit doesn’t always go our way does it?

I hate it when people say "Oh why do you even watch it" or "why are you even here then" because it suggests that viewers who have made a con

• Hypocritical of you to say that, considering in your initial post you were complaining about people here negatively commenting about the show ?

Yeah, well I don’t like it when people do stuff that they don’t like out of their own freewill but shit doesn’t always go our way does it?

• How was that hypocritical in the slightest if I said why are you watching the show if you hate it? My second point backed that up by me saying I hate it when people do that so where’s the hypocrisy?

Hypocritical of you to say that, considering in your initial post you were complaining about people here negatively commenting about the show ?

• edited December 2017

You seriously trying to turn this topic into a Clem dying one? Otis didn’t sacrifice himself to die like Lee did, Shane shot him and left him for dead. That’s not sacrificing your life. Lee knew he was going to die and still tried to rescue Clem. Otis didn’t know he was going to die.

In your words, The Woman Lee shot with Kenny at the drugstore’s sacrifice was for nothing because both Lee and Kenny died later?

Ladariel posted: »

"Oh no now Otis's sacrifice was for nothing!". I'm shocked nobody here said this already. Anytime someone on here brings up Clem's possible

Sign in to comment in this discussion.