Star Wars: Last Jedi Discussion (SPOILERs)

Comments

• I guess I’ll reply in smaller sentences since it looks like you are missing a few things that I am saying.

We had no background on palpatine and his rise to power until the prequels. Now forget about the prequels for now, when it was only the originals nobody cared about this, but when Snoke dies and he doesn’t even have the chance yet to appear in another trilogy or tv series people still get pissed, despite him being in the exact same situation as palpatine was before the prequels.

Kylo’s motive, like he explains in the last Jedi, is to wipe out Luke Skywalker for betraying him, and to experience his full power to wipe out those who believe he is a traitor for his own safety, which is also why he proposed to destroy the first order: so that he could start a new and make things the way he pictured. In the novels, it is revealed that both Han and Leia feared for him as he had anger problems, which didn’t help his self esteem, which is why they gave him to Luke, and when Luke considered killing him (BUT IF PEOPLE ACTUALLY PAYED ATTENTION THEY’D REALISE HE WASN’T GOING TO) that pushed him to the breaking point, nobody in his family trusted him, so he joined the first order.

Snoke’s motives are also clearly to rule the galaxy and make everything go his way and his way alone, just like the emperor wanted. He wants to destroy the resistance and establish the first order across the entire galaxy.

As a Star Wars fan, it does get to me when people instantly judge the film when it doesn’t explain something even though Star Wars isn’t about the films, it’s about the series as a whole and everything that is considered canon. So it doesn’t matter if the movie doesn’t explain anything, because the novels and the tv shows always do, so the films don’t deserve to get as much hate as they do

Poogers555 posted: »

Im not saying we need every detail about everything ever about Snoke. What I am saying is, he has no backstory about his rise to power, whic

• Again, Emperor worked in the original Trilogy without needing outside movie medias. The reason he worked and not Snoke is simply because in the Original Trilogy, it is our intro into the world. We are told what happened in the past, that being the Empire taking over. This trilogy ends, and then Empire is gone. It was stopped. However, now in the sequel trilogy, The First Order, which is essentially the New Empire, is just there. It is never explained how Snoke brought the First Order into power, or anything. Again, I'm not saying we need a long EXTREMELY detailed back story on Snoke and the First Order, but it is missing establishment. All it would need is someone talking about how there was a rise of a new Empire blah blah blah, yes annoying exposition junk, but without anything establishing how Snoke and the First Order began, it just feels worthless, despotically after Snoke dies after not doing that much and again, with no explanation on what events happened in the past. Yes in the Original Trilogy we don't see the past, and thinking in a pre-prequel era, we didn't need to see the past. All we needed was Obi Wan to explain past events. Thats what Last Jedi and Force Awakens was missing. Explanation on how this conflict ever started, especially after it seemed like it ended after Return of the Jedi.

Again, he says this but then it seems forgotten. He just goes off and attacks the Rebels more right after. Its not like he knew Luke was going to be at the same place as the Rebels when he went to attack (or his force projection at least) he just continues to do what Snoke was going to make him do. He still just wants to rule the galaxy.

Yes it is clear Snoke wants to rule the galaxy, but I meant more of what is his reason for wanting to. You can just sum it up and say "cuz hes EVIL!" but thats just really lazy writing. Would be cool if he had some background to see why he wants to rule the galaxy so bad, with more than just "evil" but oh well.

Again, the films are the main media of Star Wars. The bigger audience watch the films, not the TV show, or read the comic books ect. There is nothing wrong with there being spin off shows and books, but these can not be allowed to be looked at as "ok for development" even if it is cannon. Imagine if Han Solo was killed in a pre-comic book before Force Awakens comes out. Or Luke didnt die at the end of Last Jedi, but when Episode 9 starts the opening crawl is "Luke Skywalker is DEAD!" But the excuse is "oh but if you read the comic book that came out last year you would have known silly!"

Basically, the movie is the main media source of Star Wars. Having important points in smaller things that dont get as much attention should not be the way to go. The vast majority does not follow these, so relying on them to explain the movie is not how it should be handled, as the bigger audience does not get the pay off.

Melton23 posted: »

I guess I’ll reply in smaller sentences since it looks like you are missing a few things that I am saying. We had no background on palpat

• edited March 2018

Fine, let me put it in a way that a hater of the sequels would understand. Would you actually trust Kathleen Kennedy, JJ Abrams or Rian Johnson to give Snoke a decent backstory in the films? You’re basically asking for him to be butchered even further. Dave Filoni is probably better suited for that job in the tv series.

Plus I watched the originals recently and I don’t recall any sort of backstory on how the empire came to be, actually there was no story at all. They were just there, with just a minor mention to the clone wars in a new hope but nothing about the clone wars leading into the civil war. There is no way of defending palpatine when his situation, and the empire’s situation is the exact same as Snoke and the first order.

Again, Emperor worked in the original Trilogy without needing outside movie medias. The reason he worked and not Snoke is simply because in

• Im not a "hater" of the sequels, I actually really enjoyed Force Awakens, Im sorry for valid criticisms about The Last Jedi, and trust me I was pretty bumbed out after watching it because it fell really flat. Also again you seem to be jumping into me claiming Snoke needs a huge backstory, he doesn't. He just needs some explanation other than "oh hi im here." And I wouldn't trust Rian Johnson at all lmao. Abrams did an alright job with Force Awakens even though it was pretty similar to New Hope.

Again, you keep taking me talking about "background" way too far. A New Hope Obi Wan tells Luke about the Old Republic and how the Jedi protected it. He then talks about the Dark Times and how the Empire came. You need to forget about the Prequels here, after all we are discussing this as a pre-prequel era in time. We dont need to know about the giant civil war, and all the political stuff before the fall of the Republic and rise of the Empire. Obi Wan tells us in just a few words that the Jedi used to protect the galaxy in the Old Republic, but now they don't because the Empire came and put an end to the Republic. It is honestly that simple. Something like this could have been said in Force Awakens/Last Jedi about Snoke and the First Order. Hell, not even Snoke, something about the New Order, we can easily assume our own things about Snoke if we hear how they gained power. But there is none of that, so the rise of the New Order and Snoke's involvement in it is just left there, untouched or explained at all. So no, I wouldn't say Snoke and the original Palpatine are exactly the same at all. New Hope explains the Empire briefly in a few sentences, Force Awakens/Last Jedi does not explain the First Order at all.

Fine, let me put it in a way that a hater of the sequels would understand. Would you actually trust Kathleen Kennedy, JJ Abrams or Rian John

• edited March 2018

Sure Snoke might not need a backstory but without one what else does he have to differentiate himself from Darth Sidious? He's just a cheap discount Palpatine with a tacky outfit. He doesn't have a strong enough twist on his predecessor's archetype like Kylo Ren does to make him really interesting. Sure they're probably going to elaborate on Snoke's character in future SW media but judging his presence and exit in The Last Jedi alone it was really underwhelming considering the hype TFA built up regarding the mystery around him. It would've been nice for his character to have a stronger impact on the sequel trilogy rather than just be swiftly taken out of the picture by Kylo so he can rule instead.

I guess I’ll reply in smaller sentences since it looks like you are missing a few things that I am saying. We had no background on palpat

• Obi-wan mentions the old republic, then the empire came, not how it came. Same with the first order, we know that Luke was training more Jedi, then Snoke and the first order shows up.

Im not a "hater" of the sequels, I actually really enjoyed Force Awakens, Im sorry for valid criticisms about The Last Jedi, and trust me I

• Alright, one thing I really dislike about the movie is the weird Finn and Rose romance. It is my personal opinion, but Anakin and Padme had a more believable romance in Attack of the Clones.

It kinda felt like a Bad build up vs No build up romance. I prefer the bad build up more. Sure, it may not be the best written and it was damn cheesy, but at least we know that they are suppose to fall in love.

• edited March 2018

Same

Alright, one thing I really dislike about the movie is the weird Finn and Rose romance. It is my personal opinion, but Anakin and Padme had

• I think anyone with a working mind can figure out that Obi Wan is obviously saying that the Empire came and took over. First Order is just there with no one saying anything about how after the Empire fell, and how the First Order came and replaced it. What happened in those following years without the Empire, what happened to that new way of life? Shouldn't the rebels have been in charge of the galaxy? We know how the the story ended in Return of the Jedi, so the fact there is not even a single line explaining how the First Order got started after we already know that the Rebels should have won in Return of the Jedi, does not make sense. There isnt even something like "The New Order came and destroyed (whatever new government was made)" they are just there without anything explaining anything about them.

Obi-wan mentions the old republic, then the empire came, not how it came. Same with the first order, we know that Luke was training more Jedi, then Snoke and the first order shows up.

• edited March 2018

That’s what the next tv show is for, not everything needs to be crammed into 2 single movies ?

I think anyone with a working mind can figure out that Obi Wan is obviously saying that the Empire came and took over. First Order is just t

• The new TV show hasn't actually been revealed yet but it was recently announced that Jon Favreau (The Director of Ironman 1,2 and The Jungle Book) is going to be the Executive Producer and writer of the Series.

That’s what the next tv show is for, not everything needs to be crammed into 2 single movies ?

• edited March 2018

I was talking about the new animated show set between 6 and 7 but if the live action one is also in the same time period then that also helps. I’m hoping for a clone wars or old republic show myself though

Tazmangamez posted: »

The new TV show hasn't actually been revealed yet but it was recently announced that Jon Favreau (The Director of Ironman 1,2 and The Jungle Book) is going to be the Executive Producer and writer of the Series.

• or old republic show myself though

They could do so many things with the old republic and yet they don't i'll never understand what's wrong with these people.

I was talking about the new animated show set between 6 and 7 but if the live action one is also in the same time period then that also helps. I’m hoping for a clone wars or old republic show myself though

• edited March 2018

George Lucas was the creator of Star Wars, so if the old republic era started before Disney happened then I still consider the games and books canon... to a certain extent

iFoRias posted: »

or old republic show myself though They could do so many things with the old republic and yet they don't i'll never understand what's wrong with these people.

• edited March 2018

Yeah even if i didn't really like what they did to the exile (in the Revan's book) and what they did with Revan wasn't so good i still think it's better than anything Disney do these days,and it's driving me crazy how they keep teasing something with the Old republic like in Rebels but still don't do anything with it,like come on do it already !

George Lucas was the creator of Star Wars, so if the old republic era started before Disney happened then I still consider the games and books canon... to a certain extent

• They announced a new animated show set between episodes 6 and 7? I also want a KOTOR/TOR movie, I was suspecting that Rian Johnson was going to make it but then he said he wasn't and the KOTOR/TOR movie was thrown into the air again. A couple of months later the GOT Directors announced their new Trilogy and now I'm suspecting they will do it because if you haven't seen GOT already well they are pretty good at doing series that are set in the past.

• If wasn’t 100% confirmed but Dave Filoni teased about it and the finale for rebels set the story up for an animated show after the Battle of Endor if you’ve seen the finale

Tazmangamez posted: »

They announced a new animated show set between episodes 6 and 7? I also want a KOTOR/TOR movie, I was suspecting that Rian Johnson was going

• New Honest Trailer for TLJ. (Not that it really matters but figured I'd put in in its relevant spot.) Really one of their best. It actually manages to strike a balance between parts of the movie and those who hate it vs. those who like it. Nice.

• edited March 2018

I noticed how they mentioned that Holdo not leaking her plan was a bad thing, I thought so at first, but wasn’t it confirmed that she didn’t tell anybody er plan in case of first order spies? It was an extremely smart and cautious move by her when you think about it.

AChicken posted: »

New Honest Trailer for TLJ. (Not that it really matters but figured I'd put in in its relevant spot.) Really one of their best. It actually manages to strike a balance between parts of the movie and those who hate it vs. those who like it. Nice.

• Uh, maybe? I think so?

It's been a while since I've seen the film, and with the amount of things that was going on there was a lot to remember. A lot of things I didn't prepare for. I'm not ready to talk Episode 8 in detail just yet. I'd like to see it once more so I make sure I pay attention to the things I may have missed. Things like Holdo's plan or some of the scenes with DJ. Couldn't understand him too well.

I noticed how they mentioned that Holdo not leaking her plan was a bad thing, I thought so at first, but wasn’t it confirmed that she didn’t

• All she had to say is "don't worry guys we have a plan" instead of making everybody think they are going to die. It's just bad writing... She was a pointless throw away character and Admiral Ackbar should of have taken her place. Kids (and adults) aren't buying Admiral Holdo and Rose toys lol. Honestly episode 9 is looking bleak without Luke, Han or Leia people watched this trilogy for them, not Rose, Rey, Finn and Poe who are all rather forgettable. Like I don't know what JJ is going to do considering so many plot points from 7 got ignored (this is why you should write your whole trilogy in one go instead of making it up as you go along.)

Who knows maybe they'll get Lando back to try to get more butts in seats for 9. However my interest in SOLO is at an all time low. Like I wasn't keen on the idea of SOLO before Last Jedi came out.

I noticed how they mentioned that Holdo not leaking her plan was a bad thing, I thought so at first, but wasn’t it confirmed that she didn’t

• Well it doesn’t take a genius to figure out that any sane person would hide the plan when enemies could have infiltrated the resistance at any time, it’s pretty much the only way they can go so everyone should have instantly thought “yeah, she’s hiding it to avoid th plan being leaked” and it would have worked if DJ wouldn’t have sold them out, allowing for the first order to find out about their plan.

Besides, if EVERYTHING just needs to be confirmed for whatever reason even though it is supposed to be common sense, I’m pretty sure Rian Johnson confirmed this himself shortly after the release

All she had to say is "don't worry guys we have a plan" instead of making everybody think they are going to die. It's just bad writing... Sh

• Not going to debate it all anyway. It's a movie imo with a lot of missed opportunities and wasted some characters. This trilogy also doesn't really have competent villains cause they are made to look like clowns or foolish at every turn. Hux with that your momma joke, Phasma (after getting hyped up by Disney) has done absolutely nothing of importance and Snoke got thrown away so they can make a prequel, comic or something.

Well it doesn’t take a genius to figure out that any sane person would hide the plan when enemies could have infiltrated the resistance at a

• Yeah, I agree on that point, but it still doesn’t change the fact that I think that some people are missing a few things. I still believe the sequels make the prequels look legendary though.

Not going to debate it all anyway. It's a movie imo with a lot of missed opportunities and wasted some characters. This trilogy also doesn't

• Revenge Of The Sith remains my second favourite star wars movie behind Empire lol. Definitely more of a structure and overall vision established in the prequels (but cringey dialogue) compared to the sequels playing it safe using themes we have already seen before.

Yeah, I agree on that point, but it still doesn’t change the fact that I think that some people are missing a few things. I still believe the sequels make the prequels look legendary though.

• I don't like it. It's bad. Film is full of unnecessary sexual innuendos. I just wanted to see good adventure, space battles, lightsaber duels and the return of favourite characters.

• Honestly, I wasn't impressed with this one at all. I reckon the others were pretty amazing, but this one started off with five minutes of bad acting then suddenly cut to people having s*x, which was pretty much every scene in the rest of this film.

Also I can't for the life of me understand why they've replaced all of the cast with different actors, who really weren't very convincing. I thought the original cast from Force Awakens were brilliant and there's nothing on Google that will tell me why they've been fully replaced.

This will probably be the last time I ever take any recommendations from my friend's Blu-ray collection but at least I'm on the bandwagon again and can stop being "that guy who hasn't seen the latest Star Wars film".

• edited May 2018

The movie is just bad I don’t know how you make a middle movie in a trilogy and just don’t care about what came before and what came after. That’s why this trilogy should have been directed by one person. You want an amazing in-depth review there is a YouTuber I forgot the name that made 3 two hour long each reviews. Kylo rens character is all over the place.

• We won't get good stories again till Emperor Kennedy is gone and hopefully replaced by Dave Filoni lol:

xxplvb posted: »

The movie is just bad I don’t know how you make a middle movie in a trilogy and just don’t care about what came before and what came after.

• His name is MauLer

When the movie was in theaters, he made a shorter, 35 minute video about his initial thoughts of the movie, and he's just as brutal as he is in these videos.

The movie is just bad I don’t know how you make a middle movie in a trilogy and just don’t care about what came before and what came after.

• I'm seriously not on SW bandwagon anymore. Kathleen Kennedy and EA destroyed everything I loved about Star Wars.

Instead of actually making new stories for Star Wars, they're just reusing ideas from the old movies. The iconic characters just come back to the sequels only to die like shit, just for characters who got terrible development. Rey is nothing but the most stupidly overpowered protagonist of the cinematic universe. The movies don't explain how she got Force power, her parents were nobody who just sold her for water supplies and she knows how to fly ships despite the fact that she never got out of Jakku. Now they are releasing a movie no one really asked for. Like seriously, did anyone ask for the origins of Han Solo? Deadpool is definitely going to be the one most people will choose to see.

EA cancelled Star Wars games that had huge potential and they are using the license as cash grab instead of making games for people to enjoy. They even said that Single Players are dead, ignoring the fact that Zelda BOTW won GOTY 2017 and God of War became the fastest selling PS4 exclusive of all time.

2017 was the last year when I was hyped for new Star Wars stuff and they both turned out to stab me in the back. In that case is The Last Jedi and Battlefront 2.

• To be honest with everyone, I am not particular hyped for the upcoming Solo or Episode IX anymore.

I am not saying that the Last Jedi is an utterly terrible movie. It is a good movie. But it is not a good Star Wars movie. Even if people give a lot of flacks to the Prequels, at least they felt like Star Wars to me. I am going to sit back and watch how this unfolds. If the new movies turned out to be good, I might consider watching them. But the fact that I even read some of the possible leaks for Episode 9 and watching the Tv-spots and scenes from Solo, just goes to show that I am not feeling interested for the new movies.

• Haha, Mauler's rage is fantastic! "What. The. F." (by Luke) and "Shrek"!

You may also like TLJ rants done by:
    The Dishonoured Wolf

Ramboraph4life

Voxis Productions

Overlord DVD

His name is MauLer When the movie was in theaters, he made a shorter, 35 minute video about his initial thoughts of the movie, and he's just as brutal as he is in these videos.

• Comparing not knowing Palpatine's backstory to not knowing Snokes is unfair since The last Jedi is a sequel to the original trilogy, the Empire was defeated and now there's this new guy who showed up, brought it back and is doing all these major things, and now he's dead.

• Honestly feel like Last Jedi is a failure at both a Star Wars movie and a movie on its own. As a movie, it has a lot of structural and plot problems. Biggest is obviously how the entire casino planet stuff could have been cut from the film and shave off a solid 40 minutes. Then just a lot of characters being underused or unexplained and developed, and then plot that isnt realistic like the whole "no telling the plan" stuff.

Fails as a Star Wars film too because it feels so different from all the others, and its not in a good way. Just how Force Awakens set everything up for the next film just for this one to go "omg people are expecting Y because X so Im gonna make it make no sense so no one could see it coming!" That already messes everything up. Continuity is important and Last Jedi showed they didnt really give a shit about that. Sad part is its 100% possible for a Star Wars film to do something different, but feel the same, it just needs someone who is capable of handling the project. Look at Marvel, which is also owned by Disney. Just released Infinity War and its way different from past MCU films but yet still feels familiar, and it even ends not the way a Marvel movie really ends. And even though it is way different, everyone loved it because the story was told well. Basically the people running the MCU actually know what they are doing to make a good story in a series of multiple movies, while the people running Star Wars clearly dont.

To be honest with everyone, I am not particular hyped for the upcoming Solo or Episode IX anymore. I am not saying that the Last Jedi is

• I've seen both Dishonoured Wolf's and Voxis', but not the others, thanks for the recommendations.

Haha, Mauler's rage is fantastic! "What. The. F." (by Luke) and "Shrek"! You may also like TLJ rants done by: The Dishonoured Wolf Ramboraph4life Voxis Productions Overlord DVD

• The prequels flawed as they are, where something different and added to the lore.

To be honest with everyone, I am not particular hyped for the upcoming Solo or Episode IX anymore. I am not saying that the Last Jedi is

• I totally agree with you, I have no idea why they decided to put 3 Directors for each movie in the latest trilogy, its gone back down to 2 now with just J.J and Rian but they should have kept the trilogy with J.J from the start so he could have done what he wanted with The Last Jedi and completed that story with Episode 9, unfortunately we got Rian to be the Director for The Last Jedi and a lot of fans were not to pleased with him. We'll just have to see what he brings to the table with his new trilogy.

• The only remotely exciting thing about SOLO is that Ray Park aka Darth Maul was at the red carpet premiere which suggests there will be a Darth Maul cameo but even then it's hard to get excited cause they wasted Maul by killing him in the cartoon. Would of loved to have seen Maul in a Kenobi spin off.

• If there is a Darth Maul cameo it would be so cool on so many levels, if you haven't seen The Clone Wars or Rebels and your just a regular Star Wars fan then this could be Maul's new introduction to you. I don't remember him being at any other of the Disney Star Wars Premieres but maybe he was. We should all be taking this with a grain of salt because it might just be a friendly invite rather than a cameo, I would love it if Maul played a character slimier to how Vader was in Rouge One e.g he appears throughout the movie with small scenes here and there, but best of all he has his big scene where he shows of his power's full potential and slaughters a whole group of people towards the end of the movie. If Maul played a part like how Vader was in Rouge one I think Maul would be in almost all of the trailers, one of the posts on Star Wars Instagram is a pixelized picture of a black unknown figure who a lot of people think is Vader. Personally I really cant see any Jedi or Sith appear in this movie because I think its going to be more based around smugglers and how Han met Chewie, Lando and how Han got the Millennium Falcon off Lando.

The only remotely exciting thing about SOLO is that Ray Park aka Darth Maul was at the red carpet premiere which suggests there will be a Da

Sign in to comment in this discussion.