What are your first thoughts on the new characters in Season 4?

Comments

• Here is a video, for those curious about the actual Panel wording.

• Not sure what to think about the new characters but I will just wait for episode 1. Always willing to give anything a shot.. though I hate kids! Except Clem!

Maybe AJ will die and Ten will be in new AJ..

• edited April 2018

I really like their character designs. They sound like they are interesting characters. Aside from Louis it really does look like the others are just wearing whatever it is they can scrape together.

• This is pure speculation but here is what I’m thinking.

• Throughout the game Marlon, Violet, and Clem will be the ones doing most of the fighting.

• Marlon initially comes across as a hard-ass and has quite a temper but is a softie once you get to know him.

• Violet is the more logical and practical member of the group who is willing to make the hard calls to protect herself and those she cares about.

• Marlon and Violet have some similar features. There is no substantial evidence backing this theory up, but I wonder if they are siblings or something.

• Louis is more Idealistic, goofy, and flirtatious. He will probably serve as some form of comic relief who lightens up the mood and also attempts to preserve the humanity and culture of the group. So far, he doesn’t strike me as a survivalist but he looks book-smart and likely contributes to the group through more crafty means instead of fighting.

• Ten strikes me as a character who Clem will become some form a mentor figure to. It would be interesting if the player could choose between a series of lessons to teach him that can affect how he acts in the future. The way he covers up the side of his face that is all burned-up seems as if he doesn’t want people knowing about his scars. I think it would make for an adorable scene if Clem can determinately show him her brand and reassure him that there is nothing to be embarrassed or worried about, she has been through some bad experiences too.

• I'm getting some Stranger Things, IT, and The Goonies vibes from the new cast, and they're already looking to be more interesting than the cast of ANF.

Here's hoping that Clementine also get some character development that she had missed out on Season 2 and ANF, beyond being A.J.'s new caretaker.

• DeltinoDeltino Moderator
    edited April 2018

I'm getting some Stranger Things, IT, and The Goonies vibes from the new cast

While I can totally get why people are... hesitant about having a cast of teenagers (especially coming hot off the heels of everyone's favorite character Gabe), that's exactly what I find intriguing; it's relatively uncharted territory for a story/setting like this. It's not uncommon to have teenagers and kids be part of a post-apocalyptic/zombie story, but it's significantly more rare to have them make up a sizable portion of the core cast. I personally think the idea of having a kind of post-apocalyptic Goonies/Stand by Me type story has potential as far as character interactions go. And in a game that prides itself on character interaction to begin with, I think that counts as a step in the right direction, at least in theory.

To put it simply, I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt. All we really have to work off of at the moment are basic descriptions and concept art, and some things don't always sound the best on paper, but work much better in practice. So I'm remaining cautiously optimistic until we get to see these characters in action, beyond a few idle animations.

RichWalk23 posted: »

I'm getting some Stranger Things, IT, and The Goonies vibes from the new cast, and they're already looking to be more interesting than the c

• edited April 2018

I think that there are some pretty cool unexplored dynamics to come across with these characters. If I had to rate them...

Violet and Louis are kind of tied for me. Mostly because I think these two have the most potential for some interesting interactions with Clem. I also think a teen version of Molly/Jane that's around Clem's age that we can potentially befriend is a cool concept. As well as a charming character that can give us more lighthearted interactions, considering Louis is described to be flirty.
    Then I'd put Marlon and Ten second place. We've kinda seen the whole hot headed thing with Kenny before, and I hope Ten can serve as something more than just a liability. Nonetheless still interested to see how it changes. For all I know I could completely change my mind on my rankings once I play the actual episode.

The three main ones seem to be Marlon, Violet and Louis. I wanna see how my playthrough differs from others in regards to which kid I end up befriending, hating, etc. Hopefully we'll be able to see how our choices lead to certain kids liking us or not.

• I thought the character designs were pretty cool. Also, as a Teenager myself I'm pretty excited for seeing how their idea of a group of children in the apocalypse turns out.

I'm not really sure about what Marlon is exactly going to be like. I think he could be a bit like Larry, a hothead in stressful, frustrating situations and yelling at everyone who doesn't agree with him. Just with the difference that if you talk more to him, he will reveal that he is just worried about the group and wants to protect them. Maybe he also will say something about his former group, that he wanted to save them too, etc. (On first sight, this sounds like a total clique, but I believe that if telltale does a good job on writing, it could turn out pretty good) I'm wondering how Clementine will act towards his dog, I can imagine him teasing her for being scared.

Louis will be the one who will make jokes and lighten up the mood while always keeping a cool head. He seems less like a guy who wants to fight, but will do it if the situation requires it. Probably he will also have smart, good ideas how to handle some situations and will depend more on talking than fighting and on keeping their actions humane. And about the writers describing him as flirty... He could make some moves on Clementine or other girls in general. But I don't think he will do it that often where it starts to become quite annoying.

Violet reminds me pretty much of Jane and I think she would be good best friend material for Clementine if she survives. As the writers described her as blunt, I think that she will be that kind of person whos trust you first have to gain before she opens up and tells you more about her past and how she feels. She will be the logical one of the group, who will be able to expect how their actions will likely turn out. I also think that with her direct personality she might come into some arguments with Marlon, who doesn't really think before he acts.

Ten could be this child who wants to be treated like the older ones, because he went through alot of sht too. Or he gets scared many times, but doesn't want to show it and tries to act all tough while he actually needs the protection of the others. Maybe he will be like Clementine when she was younger and, like others already said, the social compass of the group, who has smart ideas sometimes too.

• GohanFGCGohanFGC Banned
    edited April 2018

I have a question for @emilybuckshot. Are there any other new characters this season you haven't revealed yet but are saving for later possibly?

• I'm bookmarking this. It would be great if most of this came true. This type of diversity would help to make these characters be more likeable and worth sticking around for.

Veeeee posted: »

This is pure speculation but here is what I’m thinking. * Throughout the game Marlon, Violet, and Clem will be the ones doing most of t

• First thought that I had was that those characters will not act naturally, but more of in "hello fellow kids" way. I think I feel that way, because of the way characters are designed. For me it feels like they are designed to be way too unique which makes it an opposite effect for me. Like, in S1+2 characters were more or less simple and there were just enough of those iconic touches like Clem's hat for example. Whereas, in ANF and now in TFS it feels like there might be too much effort on their looks and I get an association with there being an attempt to make boring/underdeveloped characters interesting with their looks. ANF proved already that it doesn't work in a TellTale game.

Second thought I had was that this is most likely the cast that Clem will end her story with and unfortunately I have a bad feeling about it. With ANF concept arts/E3 reveal I saw an interesting premise and it got me excited where it's going, whereas TFS simply doesn't look promising so far.

Well, I remain cautiously pessimistic and I hope I will be proven wrong when TFS will be released.

• Ok so I totally wasn't expecting more kids. Or at least not as many but for me this looks promising so long as it's handled in the correct way (i.e. explanation/back story for how they have survive this long) because I am positive that there would be some kids that have survived this long and aside from the odd 1 or 2, we never really see them. I mean they all look like they can handle themselves well enough, certainly better than Sarah and Gabe, but they still need backstory to back it up. (Also Sarah had wasted potential.)

• Not feeling Marlon tbh. I'm more intrested in Rosie and seeing how Clem will react after her dog bite. Just please don't give us another Sam situation. I can't deal with that again. :(

• Loius looks and sounds intresting so I'm definetly looking forward to getting know him.

• I actually really like Violet. Ok her designs pretty bland and could be more intresting but I think she's going to be pretty badass, like a young Molly maybe.

• Ten is adorable but he just makes me think of an older AJ. Seriously it's all I can see when I look at him. Heck if there was big time jump (which we thankfully know there won't be) then I could easily believe this was AJ aged up and under a new name (though I'm not sure why anyone would call a kid after a number.) and I hope we get to know what happened to his face. Also I prefer Ten to AJ already because he's actually old enough to be of help and isn't completely defenceless..

Still want to see our old favourites though to tie everything up.

• emilybuckshotemilybuckshot Former Telltale Staff

Of course. :) I guess we could make a game with only six people in it, but that’d be pretty small & unusual. No idea if we are doing any other character reveals before there is a trailer. (Which btw there is no trailer/teaser- saw some confused posts on the forums that thought we had one at PAX?)

And just a reminder that I amNOT a spokesperson for this game, nor am I in charge. I am one of a group of designers among a much larger group of devs

GohanFGC posted: »

I have a question for @emilybuckshot. Are there any other new characters this season you haven't revealed yet but are saving for later possibly?

• That's not the point, ugh. Whatever. I guess we'll just have to wait and see, but it seems almost as silly as replacing christa's baby with rebecca's... wait, that also happened.

DabigRG posted: »

Ugh, if I had to guess, it seems like their using him as a potential What-If character with Violet, given they get a concept image together.

• Just noticed, because I was distracted but... they've really shifted the series art style into something more generic eh

• Really? They look pretty dull/normal to me, I mean you could say having a giant dog and those ?burn? scars on the little boy are a bit "character-ish" but otherwise...

First thought that I had was that those characters will not act naturally, but more of in "hello fellow kids" way. I think I feel that way,

• edited April 2018

Everyone else is generally fine, I actually quite like Clementine's new look and the haircut is great again but Marlon looks absolutely terrible, I really hope they change his design before the game comes out. The whole '"You can't tell me what to do, Dad!" look' is so out place in this setting and not practical at all. It looks like something from a Twisted Sister music video.

Also that mullet is more gross than Carver's mashed up face.

• As long as they are written well, it doesn't matter if they are teenagers.

My main fear is that they will be a group of Gabes.

• What judging by the manner in which they dress? Hmm, okay.

Marlon is a dick but he's the honest type, will probably save Clementine and die in the final episode. He'll also lose his dog somewhere later in the season, which will cause his emotional breakdown.

Louis will appear trustworthy and mysterious, eccentric and flirtatious. Probably hides something. Will oppose Marlon the most. Hates Rosie.

Violet is not to be trusted.

Ten is probably much more smarter and capable then he appears, however since he's the youngest and most innocent member of the group, he'll likely die in a horrible manner.

Yeah and then we also have the Telltale classic version, where two of these characters don't appear in the game at all and the other two die in the first episode, killed ruthlessly by the main villain. Let's hope it doesn't bloody come to that.

• Did they though?

Louche posted: »

That's not the point, ugh. Whatever. I guess we'll just have to wait and see, but it seems almost as silly as replacing christa's baby with rebecca's... wait, that also happened.

• Marlon. Typical bully from movies of the 80's. He may be another "enemy within"".

Rosie - don't know why but this kid looks like a dog. I hope this will be explained.

Louis. Boy? Girl? Tiffany Fox?

Violet. I recognize her! Teenage Chloe Sevigny.

Ten. Look closely. It's Duck.

• Rosie - she will either be an evil (literally) bitch or she will be a cute caring dog. No inbetween.
    Marlon - He'll act edgy but he's holding a secret and he's actually gay and likes gabe.
    Louis - Teenager Omid
    Violet - Basically Paige from the Michonne game
    Ten - He's gonna be super quiet and never talks to anyone except sign language to one person who he considers his "protector"

• Will there be more characters/background/minor characters in Episode 1? Not including Violet, Louis, Rosie, Marlon and Ten. @emilybuckshot

Of course. I guess we could make a game with only six people in it, but that’d be pretty small & unusual. No idea if we are doing any

• Bye Bye, Loui

FIXED

I'm guessing we'll most probably see a choice between saving Violet or saving Louis. That whoever we save is gonna be Clementine's friend/co

• Umm I'm pretty sure there is bound to be. Even if it's just someone that clem kills.

Will there be more characters/background/minor characters in Episode 1? Not including Violet, Louis, Rosie, Marlon and Ten. @emilybuckshot

• Louis. Boy? Girl? Tiffany Fox?

enter image description here
    Of course you can, Michelle.

With your porcelain smile and beady eyes.

Marlon. Typical bully from movies of the 80's. He may be another "enemy within"". Rosie - don't know why but this kid looks like a dog. I

• Yep, shoula figured it'd be you.

Bye Bye, Loui FIXED

• edited April 2018

These characters look interesting and could have a lot of potential. I hope they don't get killed off in the first episode. This wouldn't be TWD if members of the main cast didn't die but I hope they wait at least until episode 2 or 3 before they start killing off major cast members. This way they will have had time to flesh them out better and their deaths would have more meaning.

• edited April 2018

They said the first two episodes will focus on Violet and Marlon (And Louis i think ?) and the third episode on Ten so i guess they're safe for 3 episodes at least.

These characters look interesting and could have a lot of potential. I hope they don't get killed off in the first episode. This wouldn't be

• Honestly,like a modern day 'saved by the bell' ,no interest in these teen characters or there back stories or survival skills, and kids would be the last people to survive this so not very credible.

• edited April 2018

With these new concepts introduced, I'm not too worried about the final season being season 1 2.0 anymore.

• ...And Clementine...? :smirk:

Clemmy1 posted: »

Honestly,like a modern day 'saved by the bell' ,no interest in these teen characters or there back stories or survival skills, and kids would be the last people to survive this so not very credible.

• Yeah, for better or worse. Possibly better.

Also, remember to refresh after editting your posts.

With these new concepts introduced, I'm not too worried about the final season being season 1 2.0 anymore.

• she got lucky...real lucky :D

...And Clementine...?

• Way more than a little too lucky, if you ask me

Clemmy1 posted: »

she got lucky...real lucky

• I thoughts violet was a dude at first. She kinda looks like shaggy from scooby doo

• ....yes.

Did they though?

• Ten. Look closely. It's Duck.

No. We all know he grew up. And look at him now!

He'd make his Dad so proud ?

Marlon. Typical bully from movies of the 80's. He may be another "enemy within"". Rosie - don't know why but this kid looks like a dog. I

• edited April 2018

I don’t know why and this is really stupid of me to think this but for some reason I imagine AJ having a conversation like this with Louis.

AJ: “Bullshit.”

Louis: “I’m telling you back in the old days there were these vehicles called airplanes and people would use
    them to fly hundreds of miles in only one day.”

AJ: “Oh yeah sure, that totally makes sense.”

[Clementine walks up]

Louis: “Hey uh, Clem a little help here.”

[Clem turns to AJ] Pick a dialogue option.

Don't listen to him.
    Clementine: “Don’t listen to him AJ, he doesn’t know what the hell he is talking about. He’s nothing more than a bad influence.”

AJ: "Sounds about right."

Louis: Sigh “People these days, so caught up in survival and practicality they don’t even bother to acknowledge the things that came before.”

It's true.
    Clementine: “I know it might sound crazy, but he’s telling the truth.”

AJ: “Really? Well Louis, I guess you're not such an idiot after all. I guess I’ll stop putting bugs under your pillow.”

Louis: “See what did I tell y- WAIT WHAT?”

What do you think AJ?
    Clementine: Chuckle"What do you make of this AJ?"

AJ: "I think he's crazy and full of shit. Just look at what he's wearing."

Louis: "You don't like my flamboyance?"

AJ: "What the hell is a [turns to Clem] flam-ba-ye..."

Clementine: "Flamboyance."

AJ: [Turns back to Louis] "Yeah, that."

Louis: Groan

• something something Lord of the Flies

Sign in to comment in this discussion.