What is the darkest moments so far in the series? *Spoilers Allowed*

edited May 2018 in The Walking Dead

The Walking Dead is known for focusing more on the darker aspects, and they are a lot more prevalent. What is the most darkest moments that got you and why? It can range from being Season 1, 2, and The New Frontier. You can also continue posting more if the Final Season of the game was surprisingly more darker than the previous season. Just saying.

Mine is the final episode of Season 2. Definitely the darkest and most brutal moment at the finale. Especially with either the deaths of Jane and/or Kenny. So effed up.

Comments

• edited April 2018

Omid's sudden death would probably be #1 for me. One little mistake and he was just gone... And the girl's reaction after she realized what she had done. Then Christa shooting her immediately after though she had surrendered and was sorry. The scene shows you bluntly how quick it is to take a life. One quick reaction and that person is on the ground before you can think about what just happened. It all came together just right to make one of the darkest moments in the whole series.

• edited April 2018

The alone ending in Season 2. Seeing Clem walking into the hoard with the baby all alone really gives you that feeling of hopelessness, like how is an 11 year old gonna take care of a fucking baby in the apocalypse.

• I think the darkest moment is either the fight scene between Kenny and Jane, to me it tests Clementine to what kind of survivor she will become depending on who dies.
    The other would be David's group taking AJ from Clementine, I was horrified when first seeing it, because what kind of people would do that.

• edited April 2018

that whole camp/tent scene in starved for help. Jolene is definitely implying the bandits raped and killed her daughter.
    "there's a kid mixed up in this?"
    "was... more like."

• edited April 2018

Easily anything in Season 2. One of the reasons I like S2 in many areas, I think the most disturbing thing to me though is Sarah's 2nd death in Episode 4. I get that some fans felt Sarah was underdeveloped to the point where they couldn't care too much about her. But that aside just look at the atmosphere and the bleakness of the way she dies, the way her screams outway you're words of trying to calm her, the last moments of realisation before she dies. It's haunting.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=-YFmPSB0gug&t=11s

Throughout the entire game, you keep trying to tell yourself that "It can't possibly get any worse. There's got to be a point where you start becoming the hero?" Nope. This world is cruel and if you can't help yourself you're a liability to others survival. It's in some way just so perfect to the nature of S2 which I think plays on the theme of Helplessness brilliantly. And yer Sarah might not be a perfect character and many will downright say she's a hindrance to the group's survival, but goddam where human, we should try and feel compassion to get everyone out alive.

Episode 5 just infects the wound deeper as it gives nothing but death and hatred and I know that you're choices in many ways DON'T MATTER in the long run to Telltale overall stories, but Walking Dead S2 actually used that trope against us. You feel hopeful for Clem in S2 after Lee's heroics in S1, but S2 just keeps breaking you down to a level where you start to ask yourself if Clem living was really worth it.

• Season 2 was supposed to be darker so i wonder how that would've turned out.

DrewLamon posted: »

Easily anything in Season 2. One of the reasons I like S2 in many areas, I think the most disturbing thing to me though is Sarah's 2nd death

• I think the final script anticipated AJ's death at some point, maybe after the final fight between Kenny and Jane. Clem and / or Kenny hearing the baby's crying was just a coincidence, the old 'deus ex machina' feature.
    I wonder what the reactions of Clem and / or Kenny would be.

Season 2 was supposed to be darker so i wonder how that would've turned out.

• The St. Johns cannibal revelation when you find Mark legless in the bath and he whispers "don't... eat... the meat...". I was 11 while playing that so this scene had me shook. Perhaps there were even darker moments in the game but they were more or less expected because you know it's TWD you're dealing with. "Starved for Help" was literally almost the beginning, I couldn't even imagine that shit.

• Same for me. I was also around that age when playing the episode so it had an huge impact on me

The St. Johns cannibal revelation when you find Mark legless in the bath and he whispers "don't... eat... the meat...". I was 11 while playi

• For some reason I always expected Christa to spare that little bully. Then she'd meet up with Clem later on for something and maybe help Clem when she needed it most like against Carver or after the dog attack. But nope Christa wasn't hearing nothing from her even though she couldn't of been that much older than Clem just a bigger kid bully.

Omid's sudden death would probably be #1 for me. One little mistake and he was just gone... And the girl's reaction after she realized what

• Seems like they still tried to tone it down on the final product. Hated that because I thought season one was darker than season two as a result of them toning down S2.

Season 2 was supposed to be darker so i wonder how that would've turned out.

• edited April 2018

Darkest moment for me might be when Ben got impaled in the alley and it was a hopeless rescue operation to save Ben. Or maybe the time Lee has to kill Duck and Katjaa kills herself before having to kill Duck knowing full well that Kenny had to of been screwed up in the head at that point on.

• edited April 2018

I can get Sarah's first death far as nobody helping her but in the second death the whole crew basically only fired a couple times then watched the carnage as though they couldn't jump down to help or had empty cartridges. They all must of wanted her dead, seeing as how Jane could be right that she's a liability. Was sickening. The herd wasn't that big and everyone on that deck could of picked a walker ? to tackle. That's why Sarah's first death is on her while the second I felt is part on the group even though Sarah did go out into the deck for literally no reason other than to die for forced plot convenience in spite of taking the effort to save her in the same episode earlier.lol crazy!

DrewLamon posted: »

Easily anything in Season 2. One of the reasons I like S2 in many areas, I think the most disturbing thing to me though is Sarah's 2nd death

• Russell's ending with Nate where he kills those old folks in the diner.

• The loading screen.. [ba-dum tiss]

But honesty, I'm tied between determinately leaving the chick in Macon to be devoured, Ben's story of his classmates, determinately leaving Sarah at the trailer, and determinately Clem shooting Kenny after letting him kill Jane.

• edited April 2018

Clem shooting Kenny after letting him kill Jane was really dark,would've been even more dark if we had an option to leave AJ like we were supposed to have.

• edited April 2018

I agree. I know a lot of people on these forums consider that scene bad writing, but I think that was a surprise death scene done right. It was a surprise but it was set up quite well and that scene did a good job setting the mood for the rest of season 2. Kenny and Jane's sudden deaths in ANF were attempting to envoke a similar sensation but they were such crappy deaths it just didn't work. At least not for me.

Omid's sudden death would probably be #1 for me. One little mistake and he was just gone... And the girl's reaction after she realized what

• edited April 2018
    • The infected Christian lady asking Carley for the gun to kill herself.

• Mark's legs getting chopped off while he was still alive.

• Kenny having to either watch his son be put down or do it himself, immediately after his wife committed suicide.

• Sam the dog getting impaled and clearly being in horrible pain before Clem possibly mercy kills him.

• Both of Sarah's deaths, but especially her first one. Being left to die by the girl Sarah was hoping to be friends with just a day after her father died is a terrible way to go.

I'll update if I come up with more.

• The first time I played s1 I actually called the family being cannibals way before it was shown so I think that’s why it wasn’t that dark for me

Same for me. I was also around that age when playing the episode so it had an huge impact on me

• edited April 2018

Either that one or when the dog got impailed. I mean yes it tried to kill you but it was hungry too. It didn’t want to die. Never the less in the end it does and you have a choice to kill it right away or let it suffer. Sad

Russell's ending with Nate where he kills those old folks in the diner.

• The Season 2 ending where you let Kenny kill Jane then you pick the [Shoot Kenny] option and Clem raises her gun towards him and he's just like: "Do it....just do it".
    The way Clem just executes him is pretty fucked up

• All of Season 2

• For me it was this:

• edited May 2018

Another I would like to mention is Sahra’s father’s death and the overall tone of Season two. That one got me. The most darkest in all of The Walking Dead, actually! So fucked up.

• I dunno if particularly dark, but the cabin crew locking up Clementine even though she is just a hurt little girl, they could at least have taken her in and fixed up her fucking wound, christ

• Definitely the final battle between Jane and Kenny. Kenny's beatdown of Carver was pretty horrifying.

Cocoa2736 posted: »

* The infected Christian lady asking Carley for the gun to kill herself. * Mark's legs getting chopped off while he was still alive. *

• Wasn't dark just felt like a waste.

• Never could really accept that outcome scene. Shows that in spite of her letting Kenny kill Jane she doesn't like that he did it and kills him in retaliation? Also possible she hated them both or something like this. Only two interpretations I got from that.

The Season 2 ending where you let Kenny kill Jane then you pick the [Shoot Kenny] option and Clem raises her gun towards him and he's just like: "Do it....just do it". The way Clem just executes him is pretty fucked up

• edited May 2018

There’s a ton, but the ones I can name on the top of my head are:

1. Randall’s slaughter on The MobJack people (among the corpses were kids)

2. Crawford’s walker gate

3. The little walker boy in the attic (just the thought of a child being starved to death is dark).

4. Clementine shooting Kenny after he kills Jane.

5. Randall gloating about killing Sam’s father to her younger brothers.

6. Sarah’s 2nd Death

• I forgot about Michonne's scenes. Not that they weren't memorable, it's just crazy to think that some of the darkest stuff came from the shortest season. Let's not forget that though Michonne obviously had on plot armor, TTG did give us the option to commit suicide. And that was... what, within the first 60 seconds?

MRSHYGUY45 posted: »

There’s a ton, but the ones I can name on the top of my head are: * Randall’s slaughter on The MobJack people (among the corpses were k

• I don’t think it was a waste, personally I viewed it more as a symbolic way to start of S2. Killing one of the most upbeat/happier characters in the series set the darker tone for what S2 was gonna be, and really kickstarted the overall mood of the episode.

Dan10 posted: »

Wasn't dark just felt like a waste.

• Kenny Vs Jane fight was too intense and mind-fucking with me at the time I played it the first time.And carvers death made me hate burgers for a while.

• I always thought of it like this: she lets Kenny do whatever he wants, then after she sees what he's capable of she decides to kill him. At this point Kenny knows he's just a broken man and just accepts it.
    Or she can't pull the trigger the first time and after seeing what Kenny is capable of doing she gets the courage to do it.

Ladariel posted: »

Never could really accept that outcome scene. Shows that in spite of her letting Kenny kill Jane she doesn't like that he did it and kills h

• edited May 2018

She's known Kenny a bunch longer than Jane though. I'd think she would of buffeted him in the face if anything than kill him. She also knew how violent Kenny was with Carver and Arvo, witnessing the murder of the former person.

I always thought of it like this: she lets Kenny do whatever he wants, then after she sees what he's capable of she decides to kill him. At

• Did Randall actually slaughter those people? Was that established? I know he told Norma he didn't.

MRSHYGUY45 posted: »

There’s a ton, but the ones I can name on the top of my head are: * Randall’s slaughter on The MobJack people (among the corpses were k

• DeltinoDeltino Moderator

It's pretty heavily implied that he did. He talks about killing kids in episode 2, and gets pretty descriptive as well. And we see him being a general murderous psycho for most the game, so wiping out a whole group of people doesn't seem out of character for him. I mean, the guy spent an entire night trying to hunt down and kill Michonne, along with anyone that got in his way, like Sam's dad. And finally, there's a line in episode 3 if you kept him alive where you can call him out on killing the people on the ferry. And he doesn't actually deny it, he just says "Those folks came after us first!"

Torridd posted: »

Did Randall actually slaughter those people? Was that established? I know he told Norma he didn't.

• Thanks, Deltino.

Deltino posted: »

It's pretty heavily implied that he did. He talks about killing kids in episode 2, and gets pretty descriptive as well. And we see him being

• Did Norma not know anything about how psychotic he was?
    I still don't get it, it seemed to me like they were setting him up as "not as bad as he acts" in episode 1, then they turn him into an irredeemable monster next time.
    I mean, that's just the impression I got, but it's not like crazy rewrites haven't happened before...

Deltino posted: »

It's pretty heavily implied that he did. He talks about killing kids in episode 2, and gets pretty descriptive as well. And we see him being

• edited May 2018

Darkest moment was when Michonne flares one of Randall’s men in the mouth as he eventually dies (Determinant).

• DeltinoDeltino Moderator
    edited May 2018

She almost certainly knew he was prone to violence and did some bad/questionable stuff, but I doubt she knew the full extent of it. The way I personally took it was that he was putting on a show for Norma. He behaved nicer and showed some restraint when he was around her (and probably lied to her about certain stuff he did), but once he was alone, he just let loose and did all the awful shit he wanted. I mean, chances are he kills the people that could tell his sister how he's a psycho. And even if someone ratted on him to Norma, who do you really think she'd side with; some stranger, or her own brother?

Or maybe she's just in denial and covering for him. Just look at all the various stories about a family member coming to the defense of another, even when they're guilty of doing something terrible: "He would never do something like that!" and etc.

Louche posted: »

Did Norma not know anything about how psychotic he was? I still don't get it, it seemed to me like they were setting him up as "not as bad

Sign in to comment in this discussion.