If you could prevent the death of any dead character, who would you have kept?

2»

Comments

• Carver
    • The Stranger
    • Joan
    • Badger
    • Troy
    • Danny, Andy and Brenda St. John
    • Save Lot Bandits
    • Crawford Oberson
    • Brie
    • Roman
    • Bonnie
    • Gabe
    • Jane

Truly amazing human beings, R.I.P.

• Fair enough. Still wish they had kept her alive.

Gauss99 posted: »

She was useful only for 1 reason. To show what could happen if Clementine remained as an innocent and naive little girl in this kind of envi

• Gonna expand just a tiny tad on this, since I have my own thread for fleshing these type of things and/or any spinoff concepts out:

• Sarah-One of the most often cited and/or predictable choices for such a list, it no doubt says something of the character's potential. Something of an inherent outlier amongst the Cabin Group, being of a comparatively young age, and having a somewhat duality toned behavior influenced by a traumatic and sometimes harsh state of world naturally lent to expectations that Sarah would be a less involved but still informed testimony for the collectively complicated background of the Cabin Group and a simultaneously contrasting yet approachable peer for Clementine. Her method of being kicked out of the story is generally agreed upon to be an ill-timed, out of tone contrivance of plot progression and an egregiously malignant waste of a unique member of the immediate and potentially recurring cast.
    • Ava- Probably only on here because she was [un-?]officially my favorite character in ANF, but I will at least say that her connections to David, ANF!Clementine, and hypothetically Gabe should've/could've gotten more exploration and if she absolutely had to die, it should've been built up and done more in a way that actually feels fitting both plotwise and at least a little beyond, as she was such a good supporting character for what little time she was given.
    • Gabe-Obviously a darkhorse/unpopular choice for this list/topic, but he fits primarily for a more lowkey reason than the others--namely, the fact that he really didn't need to be killed off in the story, much less at the last possible minute and with a rather cheap air around it. Debatably the closest thing that small but notable mess of an installment had to a healthily functioning deuteroganist, his character arc and presence kinda neutralizes itself into this weird complacency in the finale(unless you Splitup to go after David). However, whether that is a positive contributor or not, he should've been a stabilizing element among the four different endings in his relationship/dynamic with Javier and reaction to how things turned out. With that said, the obvious alternative, if the somewhat downer vibe of the ending is something was legitimately desired and/or found to be fitting/earned there, would be to have a determinant chance of him leaving New Richmond(and by likely extension, the series itself) of his own sentencing, with his interactions with Javier being an secondary influence.
    • Edith- this was actually the most recent writeup I did in the linked thread, but to summarize the idea, Edith is by far the biggest waste of Season2's endings by my measure. She was essentially a brand new character with no baggage hindering her use, the audience's representative of Wellington aka the location Season 2 debatably had set as it's ideal goalpost, and, had she been kept alive, a survivor of a settlement raided and even decimated by a collusion of desperately hungry survivor groups turned raiders. In a story where the raiding of other settlements for supplies was a major threat, no less.
    • Jolene-Another mild example of being on the list partly due to the fact that I really liked her, Crazy Jolene in the Woods does indeed have a practical reason or two for us to want her to have survived--the main connecting tissue being Clementine herself. I can't help but wonder that if Lee and Danny managed to capture Jolene and she somehow survived the events of the episode long enough to not only meet Clementine in person but maybe leave the Dairy along the group, how would the main story and her own hypothetical arc play out?
    DabigRG posted: »

Off the top of my head: Sarah Ava Gabe Edith Jolene Keep em comin, dude!

• edited August 2018

Lee
    Kenny
    Omid
    Duck
    Nick or Ben

• useless character, spoiled little girl who was putting everyone around her in danger all the time.

Was she really, though?

Gauss99 posted: »

Wow so many of you voting for Sarah, really unexpected, she was my least favourite character in Season 2... Weak and useless character, spoiled little girl who was putting everyone around her in danger all the time.

• So, the villains, Brie, Bonnie, and Gabe, eh?

* Carver * The Stranger * Joan * Badger * Troy * Danny, Andy and Brenda St. John * Save Lot Bandits * Crawford Oberson * Brie * Roman * Bonnie * Gabe * Jane Truly amazing human beings, R.I.P.

• Lee
    Kenny
    Luke
    Carly
    Omid
    Chuck
    Alvin
    Nick
    But if I have to choose one I will definitely choose lee

• edited August 2018

Mark: The guy just plain didn’t deserve it

It was originally supposed to be Mr Parker who Lee would find in the bathroom.

Larry: Obviously you’re supposed to hate Larry, but that doesn’t mean he doesn’t supply some of the best and funniest interactions in the series

True. :lol:

Walter: Again just too nice of a guy to deserve what he got

They needed someone to for Carver to be non-determinantly ruthless on and only Nick would've counted in terms of plot irrelevance.

Pete: Hands down the most wasted character in the series, well written, relatable and just all around cool, he should have lasted at least until episode 3 or 4

How would that have effected the plot?

Tripp: The only character on this list I feel should not have died at all

Eh.

@RainbowKitten I did not think for one second he would die

Even though his intended big part in the finale kinda invited that?

it would have been intresting to explore the possibility of someone surviving a zombie bite if the amputated had been done soon enough

I felt like they could've done that with Sarita as well.

Headshots and Zombie chow!

Yeah, Season 2 really made me sick of walker deaths and I don't care much for zombies to begin with.

@AnimalBoy Brody

I wish she had survived her assault as well.

@PinkyPromise Sarah. It's not her fault that her overprotective father coddled her from the horrors of the outside world and made her clingy and over-reliant on other people to survive. Her character didn't get a fair shot to develop beyond the archetype of "scared useless little girl in a dangerous, cutthroat setting" and that kinda pissed me off. Honestly, if she had become a companion for Clem in the end and gradually turned into more and more of a badass as the series went on it would've been fucking awesome. Wasted potential and waste of a good character arc, imo. But whatevs.

This.

Bear in mind I think alot of these characters should have died at some point, I just feel like some of the deaths weren’t great Season 1

• Ava was a cool character. Don't know what Telltale were doing with making her and Tripp destined for death no matter what.

• edited August 2018

Nah I like that Telltale killed off such an obviously cool and complex character. It shows how committed to they are to their writing. That's why the ending of E1 is so shocking to everyone.

Looking at the trailer and the screenshots of Marlon beforehand, you'd have never guess they'd kill him off THAT quick.

And believe it or not, killing him makes a lot of narrative sense. Letting him live would have caused too much potential conflict with the raiders, no matter if you chose to put him in prison, let him stay, or letting him leave. The focal point of this arc is not who the leader of these kids is, the but the upcoming inevitable conflict with the raiders. Killing Marlon off leaves no distractions.

Marlon, like a lot. A lot of interesting story potential was killed off when he was.

• Right? But Eleanor and Joan get to live

Ava was a cool character. Don't know what Telltale were doing with making her and Tripp destined for death no matter what.

• edited August 2018

Joan is actually determinant.

I guess if you don't decide to shoot her when it gave you the chance right then and there, there's no reason for you to get a plausible second chance.

Now that I think about it, Ava/Tripp is a remake of Carly/Doug.

But atleast Carly/Doug didn't seem so out of bounds narratively (Lily is hotheaded and thus ends up killing someone in vain) and was actually shocking the first time around.

The way they killed Ava/Tripp just felt so cheap and admittedly lazy. There was no weight.

Dex-Starr posted: »

Right? But Eleanor and Joan get to live

• The way they killed Ava/Tripp just felt so cheap and admittedly lazy. There was no weight.

Right? It's just "Oh shit! Ahhhhh!......" then its silence.

Joan is actually determinant. I guess if you don't decide to shoot her when it gave you the chance right then and there, there's no reas

• edited August 2018

Their stated reasoning had something to do with letting people know not to let their guard down with them or the other characters just because they'd avoided death already.

Nah I like that Telltale killed off such an obviously cool and complex character. It shows how committed to they are to their writing. That's why the ending of E1 is so shocking to everyone.

Looking at the trailer and the screenshots of Marlon beforehand, you'd have never guess they'd kill him off THAT quick.

And believe it or not, killing him makes a lot of narrative sense. Letting him live would have caused too much potential conflict with the raiders, no matter if you chose to put him in prison, let him stay, or letting him leave. The focal point of this arc is not who the leader of these kids is, the but the upcoming inevitable conflict with the raiders. Killing Marlon off leaves no distractions.

Fair enough.

Ava was a cool character. Don't know what Telltale were doing with making her and Tripp destined for death no matter what.

• edited August 2018

I thought we already had that with Doug/Carly considering saving either one gets them killed anyway too?

Was this in an interview?

Their stated reasoning had something to do with letting people know not to let their guard down with them or the other characters just becau

• To be fair with the former, she originally had a role in one or two dummied choices and was otherwise so irrelevant anyway that there was no point is putting much focus on her beyond that one interaction unless they actually implemented a possible eleventh hour character arc throughout a better finale.
    Or tacking on the tattletale detail to begin with, really.

Dex-Starr posted: »

Right? But Eleanor and Joan get to live

• I guess if you don't decide to shoot her when it gave you the chance right then and there, there's no reason for you to get a plausible second chance.

There was gonna be a choice to decide her punishment originally.

Joan is actually determinant. I guess if you don't decide to shoot her when it gave you the chance right then and there, there's no reas

• It was in the big AMA that was held after From the Gallows came out.

I later chronicled the questions and answers here for convenience.

I thought we already had that with Doug/Carly considering saving either one gets them killed anyway too? Was this in an interview?

• edited August 2018

Thanks. Didn't know they had an AMA after E5.

Something interesting from that answer.

"All that said, it’s one of those things that worked better in theory than in practice"

"the original intent was to provide the same kind of closure for Ava as we did for Tripp; next time around, we’ll make sure that people do spend the time that they ought mourning such an impactful character. "

Kinda cool someone admitted it probably wasn't the greatest of writing and that they might learn from it.

It was in the big AMA that was held after From the Gallows came out. I later chronicled the questions and answers here for convenience.

• the original intent was to provide the same kind of closure for Ava as we did for Tripp

Huh. I forgot they said that.
    Still, someone clearly went "Ava's midget, right?" and then it was downhill from there.

Thanks. Didn't know they had an AMA after E5. Something interesting from that answer. "All that said, it’s one of those things that wo

• Luke and Kenny to me were TWD's most traumatic deaths

• Omid, definitely. It would have been interesting to see how he'd react to Christa disappearing or dying. Would he keep trying to be optimistic because he knows giving up would mean Clem would be alone? Or would he lose all hope, essentially acting how Christa did after the 16-month timeskip? What kind of person would Clem be in Season 2 if Omid survived instead of Christa?
    It's interesting to think about. It's a shame we lost Omid so soon.

• Season One --
    Lee - It would've had more impact to lose him in Season 2. If not him, then Kenny. I don't feel like we were close enough to Christa and Omid at the time of S1's end, and we lost them swiftly in S2 so it really didn't hit that hard.

Season Two --
    Luke -- I wasn't a Luke fangirl, but his death in the lake was just unnecessary. I didn't want to cross the lake when we came to it, and there wasn't even an option to get perfectly sensible people to go around. The obvious call is Sarah, but I don't think she'd have lasted much longer than she did.

Season Three / ANF --
    Marianna -- She listened to what she was told, and didn't annoy me. I wouldn't have minded an option between her and Gabe.

The Final Season --
    Marlon -- Maybe not the most popular choice, but I liked his character. He was given a complexity that's lacking in the other characters at the moment. That's likely to change as the season progresses, but it would be like losing Larry and Lily too early in Season 1.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.