The flaws with 'Done Running'

edited August 2018 in The Walking Dead

I'll start off by saying this was a fun episode. I don't excuse AJ for what he did because Marlon quite clearly gave up, and killing him will only make things worse. And to all those AJ supporters, would you have honestly done the same thing? It's survival, you've gotta do what you've gotta do to survive. If you want to be a martyr, then fine, but the point is you're dead. You wouldn't know if Minnie or Sophie could be alive. I could see that Marlon was haunted by his choice and it was eating him up inside. Although not everyone is fond of him, they can't do a better job or at the very least they don't bother to step up. So yes, they are counting on Marvin as leader. Hopefully AJ can get a good bum-slap in Episode 2. The fact that he doesn't listen to Clem's teachings is more than enough proof that he is disobedient and just downright rude. Clearly, he doesn't give a fuck about what Clem says. Choices don't matter here, he'll shoot although Marlon isn't a threat. Shitbird.

On to the problems.
1. When you select an item at the start (eg. Toy) the help message still displays on the screen. It only dissapears after 5 seconds. Come on QA.

1. There is clipping with some stuff and it's getting on my nerves.

2. Clem can say the word 'insinuating' and I'm finding it hard to believe she knows that word. I mean, who taught her that? Jane? Oh she died in my playthrough

3. How does Clem know that's a Bible page? She Christian? Eh, in my school I was never taught that but I could tell if it were from the Bible if I saw it, but whatever. Don't hate on me.

4. Brody = Jolene = crap character. At least make her a likeable character who doesn't moan so players feel legitimate remorse for her death.

5. Omar = generic Chef character. Clint's better than ya kid, come on writers! Let us actually talk to him, so he can share that his meals remind him of better times.

6. Probably the worst of all, how the heck did AJ shoot Marlon? Mar drops the gun, next to his foot, and AJ is on the right side of the dramatic rebellion closing in on Marlon. He's actually quite far back when you see the view, so he'd have to pass through some people, and this would obviously lead them to think something is going on. Then, G.I. AJ needs to sneakily sweep the weapon again, Clem not knowing?!, and then he stands back because IT LOOKS COOL CINEMATIX next to Rosie, all 10? students seeing him aiming a gun at Marlon, and then he fires. Take that writers, your story doesn't make any sense and is bullshit. Why did none of your playtesters tell you to patch up the scene so that AJ can actually do that realistically?

7. Louis. If Louis had been with Clem all this time he wouldn't be like that, which irritates me. Why is there just some sanctuary that hasn't had any major problems? They've had encounters with other people before but their biggest challenge has been the teachers leaving. Unrealistic, since all 20? teachers would've left. I understand Marlon's difficulties but I can't help but wonder that characters will go on an arc from the things they'd seen and it'd be a repeat of s1. And now when Clementine, the angel of death, comes everything goes wrong and the school gets raided. At least the New Frontier had some realism to it since they'd faced challenges in the past.

8. Angel of Death Clementine indirectly kills Brody. Shocker. (jk but I'm kinda right)

9. Marlon goes hunting by himself. Seriously Telltale?! I may be new to this school but I know that people never go alone, any they don't, as proven with the choice of who to go with. At least make Brody join Marlon in hunting to establish their relationship better. Actually, we don't know if that was what happened but it would be better if Brody said she came along with Marlon.

10.5. Why is Marlon outside the safe zone? All the budding theorists will tell me it's a Ben situation why he went alone, to check the perimiter or slip supplies or something. But the train station is well out of the safe zone, and 2, Marlon probs hasn't slipped any supplies. The last encounter was about a year ago!! If he'd been doing it all this time, then people would notice like how Lily notices the supplies had been dwindling. I know about the smoke but that's a bullshit excuse because like I said, through the map you can see that the station is too far from the safe zone. Not even Usain Bolt could go to the smoke! Perhaps if the station was kind of close to the zone but not excactly in it it'd make sense, but nooo Telltale didn't consider doing that when they created the map.

1. Why would the raiders want girls? Rape? It doesn't make sense, you'd think they'd ask for supplies, but nooo they asked for some under-age girls because they're pretty.

2. What is Tenn doing at the start? He want to kill her? Why would Marlon make a little kid who plays with fire-trucks search for Clem who is much older than him and could whoop his ass? Worst part, Marlon is following closely behind. There is actually no reason for Tenn to be acting this way. You could say he's testing Tenn but that's a longshot. I don't know why all the 100+ people working on the game let this slide with no explanation, let alone question the writers on why it's there, Tenn never says sorry or explains why he did it.

3. I noticed a Lord of The Flies reference on the walls. 'Piggy's dead, Simon's dead, Ralph's next' or something like that. Inspiration much? Jk lol.

4. The big problem. I don't like this season much because of how Clem is acting. She's such a badass, but don't say it girl! Badasses don't say they're badasses. This is on other scenes too. She can act like a kid now and it's just so strange. She's meant to be a mature kid, more mature than every single boarding schooler. And now she can do ninja poses and it doesn't look right. What happened to the S2 Clem who told Sarah to grow up? It's all so goofy and comical, but as expected of telltale. You can't say AJ has made her act like a kid because AJ is 'acting like an adult'. I prefer the Season 3 Clem because she's the actual one who I'm familiar with. The one who says 'Don't ignore me, I'm talking to you!' to Eli. As much as I hated Clem's personality in ANF, it doesn't mean she can just do ninja poses now. Perhaps the S2 Clem seemed more mature because she was always around adults and never kids her age so she had to abandon her S1 personality, but I really despise this. I get it, she's around kids now who act loose and childish, but it doesn't mean she can act like them. After all she's been through, her heart is a punching bag!

5. Deeper Critique - The Last Scene: I'll elaborate. The last scene is the worst scene. Why? Because it's like a play/theatre. When Clem gets out of the cellar, she strides in boldly, saying some cheesy line to Marlon. As she preaches, more and more kids get swayed and they open a path for her to argue, 'sure Clem, I'll move out the way so you can punch him'. It's some My Little Pony Equestria Grils Bullcrap. Then, Marlon pins the murder on her! The crowd gasps (even the children)!! Everyone is on the edge of their seat! Twilight Sparkle Clementine throws another harsh line, 'YOU SUCK AT PROTECTION!!' the crowd gasps! Whilst saying this, she puts her hand on her hip like a sassy Barbie doll, pointing fingers (ruuude!) at Marlon as they argue. With each line, the children look at Marlon or Clem, shocked at the revelations. Then, predictable Tenn speaks like a crybaby, ''waaah, you LIED Marwon!!'' and Marlon surrenders. But watch out, someone hasn't been watching or listening to his surrender. The audience yells 'HE'S BEHIND YOU!!' and before Marlon can turn, bang he's dead.

I thought the Lee vs. Andy fight was cheesy, but this melodramatic crap, this. Everything is so melodramatic and blatant, from Tenn crying to Brody's panic attack. Upon closer inspection, what seemed like an awesome episode is borderline ANF storytelling (not really, but it's somewhat close). Nevertheless, I still enjoyed it but I just wanted to bring to light some of the issues that people hadn't remarked. TT, can I be one of your playtesters?

On a happier note, unlike a lot of people I'm really invested in the AJ and Clem relationship. I can tell there will be discord between the characters (if there isn't then I'm done) and disagreement. Clem and Aj will have differing philosophies and thoughts, and Clem will have to decide how much her parenting is worth, and if it's worth the innocent lives of the School. She'll have to come to the harsh realization that AJ is a dickhead whose Dad is Carver, and she'll have to put him down before his rampant ferocity grows any stronger.

Good Job, Telltale. 7/10.

Comments

• kinda stretched for these long ass bullet points. Dont know why you listed Clem knowing what a Bible page was. You literally just said you would have known as well even though you were never "taught" about the bible.

Only thing I would say was a flaw was Marlon suddenly becoming a full on psycho pretty much out of no where and Aj killing him no matter what not long after.

• edited August 2018

TLDR

Well, that's not entirely true. I skimmed, and read part of it. Most of it just seems nit picky out of some weird determination to not be happy though I noticed you talked about none of the kids died and the worst the kids had had to deal with was the teachers abandoning them. I don't think that's right. When Marlon is talking to Clem in his office and he talks about loss, if you choose the option to say you know what it's like to lose friends, Marlon snaps and yells at Clem to multiply it by 30 and then she'd know what he's feeling. The implication being they've lost dozens of kids over the years.

• He kinda showed anger issues before but I see your point.
    AJ shooting him really annoyed me and it shows that he doesn't listen to Clem. He was no threat anymore and clearly surrendered.

Poogers555 posted: »

kinda stretched for these long ass bullet points. Dont know why you listed Clem knowing what a Bible page was. You literally just said you w

• I agree that there are definitely some words and phrases I find it hard to believe children that never got a full education would know.

I also hope we get to know Omar more but I don’t think it’s a problem we didn’t interact with him much this episode. It’s a school with a fairly big group so I don’t really think it makes sense for Clem to really know everybody after like two days.

I think Marlon definitely should’ve been determinant (if AJ only shot him depending on what we’ve taught him then there would be much less AJ hate right now that I can guarantee)

overall though, still their best work in a while. Already way more promising than..every episode of ANF

• Ah, I didn't know that. Well, it's nice to know.

TLDR Well, that's not entirely true. I skimmed, and read part of it. Most of it just seems nit picky out of some weird determination to n

• Not to mention he somehow had to pass through everyone, pick up the gun at Marlon's feet, move over to Rosie, then shoot, as if no one would have seen all of that. That much I'll say Ghetsis is pretty spot on about.

He kinda showed anger issues before but I see your point. AJ shooting him really annoyed me and it shows that he doesn't listen to Clem. He was no threat anymore and clearly surrendered.

• I'll elaborate s'more. I'm quite pleased with this episode, but there are a few nitpicky things in it that I'd like to discuss. I have a tendency to write this way when it's not an essay but a relatively long post out of minor frustration with slight issues that had me interested and wanting more, i.e. why Marlon ran to Clem, which was idk miles away from the zone.

• Oh and lol at your number 3. Are you the one I was arguing with about her being able to read at all? She's spent plenty of time with adults over the years. She's sure to pick up words, even if no one makes a specific point to teach them to her. She's not stupid. She can pick up the meaning of words through context clues, just like most of us do.

• Well yeah I kinda figured he was stressed about something and felt like he was losing his leadership, but I found that sudden like "Oh nvm hes actually just some evil dude" to be a bit annoying, considering he just dies no matter what afterwards so they dont have to expand on that at all. That really is my biggest issue with episode 1.

He kinda showed anger issues before but I see your point. AJ shooting him really annoyed me and it shows that he doesn't listen to Clem. He was no threat anymore and clearly surrendered.

• AJ thing the right thing that pigskin was evil . He killed a girl for telling the truth

• The train station isn't that far from the school and Marlon specifically said they heard the explosion and saw the smoke. Remember, assuming things happened in real time they were at the train station and rescuing Clem and AJ in less than 5 minutes minutes of the explosion.

Ghetsis posted: »

I'll elaborate s'more. I'm quite pleased with this episode, but there are a few nitpicky things in it that I'd like to discuss. I have a ten

• Are you the one I was arguing with about her being able to read at all?

Pretty sure that was Louche but I can see your view.

Oh and lol at your number 3. Are you the one I was arguing with about her being able to read at all? She's spent plenty of time with adults

• It actually is quite far. At the very least it'd take 10 minutes of constant running to get there. It's not that far, but still unecessarily far.

The train station isn't that far from the school and Marlon specifically said they heard the explosion and saw the smoke. Remember, assuming

• Hmm... The only real flaw I can see (even though it might be intentional) is having them kill off Marlon so early on in the story. They definitely could've stretched out his character arc a little more, maybe have him come inti contact with this hostile group again so we can find out more about what happened to Tenn's sisters.

Overall though, this was a nice episode! It's great to sort of start feeling optimistic about this series again.

• A lot of these seem really nitpicky.

• I'd say he's not "just some evil dude", he clearly cares a lot about these kids so he did what he thought was best for them, I imagine there was no other choice since a group of armed adults can easily kill all these kids so in his head it was probably better if 2 died instead of all of them.
    Him saying that he would trade Clem and AJ as well was fucked up but he barely knows them so I'd say it's only natural for him to pick his friends over 2 new kids.
    I wanted him exiled at least, straight up murdering him was fucked up in my eyes, he knew he made a mistake, it was eating at him, he told Clem to just "remember him as a bad memory".
    I would have been fine with it if he would have left and we'd never see him again, but killing him ? Naw
    Just my 2 cents

Well yeah I kinda figured he was stressed about something and felt like he was losing his leadership, but I found that sudden like "Oh nvm h

• I edited some stuff out but youll have to understand this post is primarily about nitpicks, things that don't add up, etc. I'm sad no one agrees with my problem with how melodramatic the rain scene was. But that's fine I guess.

EbiManami posted: »

A lot of these seem really nitpicky.

• Banishing anyone in that world is a bad idea. You banish them, even if they accept it, they could come to resent it and be your downfall. Marlon could have lead the other group to the school in some misguided quest for revenge against everyone who "turned on him."

I told him he could stay, but not as their leader. Prisoner would also work, temporarily, but that's not a long term solution because they don't have the food resources to keep a prisoner long term.

I'd say he's not "just some evil dude", he clearly cares a lot about these kids so he did what he thought was best for them, I imagine there

• And they could not miss those who are already beginning to criticize the game, A GAME, not real life. Holy God, thank God Telltale will finish this at the end of the year, I understand, they are tired of someone always appearing criticizing every fucking mention to Clementine or every fucking game of it. They do not settle for anything. Calm guys, in December it's over, so you can add it to the list of things you criticize for free like they did with ANF.

• edited August 2018

Well thats what I mean. He doesnt really show too many signs of even being violent. I mean even Brody shoves him down and he doesnt fight back in anyway after. My issue is just that in the 3rd act, he kills Brody, its revealed he is responsible for what happened to Tenn's sisters, he then planned to trade Clem from the start, and then tried to pin the murder of Brody on Clem. It just happens to fast really and I felt the build up for that reveal wasnt there, felt more like it was going to be revealed Brody was the one with connections to the raiders, but then Marlon did too and had the stronger connection. And theres nothing wrong with it being a twist that it was actually Marlon, but just the fact that he goes psycho, something we didnt see hinted at all, once we get to that part was a bit weird.

Basically to me I felt like Marlon killing Brody and doing all that came kinda out of left field, and the fact he dies no matter what only about 5 minutes after is disappointing because he cant stay alive for them to do some more with his character. The third act to me kinda felt rushed with all the future plot stuff brought up so fast.

I'd say he's not "just some evil dude", he clearly cares a lot about these kids so he did what he thought was best for them, I imagine there

• I want to know Kirkman's thoughts. I want to see Kirkman's reactions whilst playing the game. The look on his face when Marlon dies.

• I wrote about this on another thread and figured it may work here too:

In my opinion, I am disappointed and I think that is due to 'A New Frontier's' poor reception. None of the characters have appealed to me thus far and no one has remarked on the one-second interaction with the boarding school children before dinner. It is funny because a lot of individuals were quick to judge Season Two and 'A New Frontier's' hubs, but are rating this episode one of Telltale's 'finest'. For example: Brody - what a waste of a character and Marlon? Seriously Telltale? As if the 'good guy' has never ended up as the 'bad guy' in a narrative before? I believe some individuals are not taking into account that 'Done Running' has its flaws. IGN's 6.5 rating does seems plausible whether some of you like to hear it or not.

• You think Kirkman plays these games?

Ghetsis posted: »

I want to know Kirkman's thoughts. I want to see Kirkman's reactions whilst playing the game. The look on his face when Marlon dies.

• He watched AFGuides on youtube lol. Not really. But he did either play or watch the entirety of all three seasons. He even spoke about his dissapointment with ANF, but I don't know where that is unfortunately.

You think Kirkman plays these games?

• Getting mad that a fictional drama is dramatic, smh

• Not dramatic, melodramatic. And it doesn't fit the mood of S1/S2 which had me aroused.

Getting mad that a fictional drama is dramatic, smh

• edited August 2018

I just wanted to address the AJ supporter question: let me just say AJ let him off easy. I thought this was going to be a st John's senerio for Clem; where the player would beat Marlon from an inch of his life then get to choose to kill him like Lee. So yes, I would have did the same but much worse, just like my Lee with the st John's. If I find out a character is a danger to Clem they're dead. In a world like this, there is no such thing as redemption. Saving Marlon would have just gave him another chance to hurt Clem or someone else in the group.

Not only that, but let's not forget what that little shit did to brody.

• I just wanted to touch on what you said about Marlon not seeming violent. Someone who doesn't seem violent in reality can be the most violent person around. It just means they hold their anger inside and are more prone to uncontrollable outburst, as what TT showed. Marlon is just one of those angry people who has a facade. He wants to keep up the nice guy act. This kind of behavior is usually found in people who are manipulators. I personally think TT did a good job with Marlon.

It just goes to show you, just because someone doesn't seem violent doesn't mean they're not violent.

Well thats what I mean. He doesnt really show too many signs of even being violent. I mean even Brody shoves him down and he doesnt fight ba

• Im just pointing out it showed him being hot headed. Nothing wrong with it being "oh shit hes actually violent" but my main issue is its "oh shit hes violent" and then within 5 minutes after he tries to convince everyone to kill you he just dies. Makes it feel like it was more in there to forward plot and then dispose of him. Just wish he was determinate because it made his character end, in my opinion, feel off.

MosesARose posted: »

I just wanted to touch on what you said about Marlon not seeming violent. Someone who doesn't seem violent in reality can be the most violen

• My only real complaints are that I saw that Marlon stuff coming from a mile a way and that Brody may as well have had dead written on her forehead.

• I agree with your list, and honestly, I didn't really like the episode. There I said it, I just feel like they changed too much, also the writing is not that great. I'm ready for the triggered people though.

• Triggered people are fun

qualityrice posted: »

I agree with your list, and honestly, I didn't really like the episode. There I said it, I just feel like they changed too much, also the writing is not that great. I'm ready for the triggered people though.

• I liked Brody....though you needed to go fishing with her to get more background...but yeah...she did have the dead person curse...a secret that she dare not utter except to one other.

Plan_R posted: »

My only real complaints are that I saw that Marlon stuff coming from a mile a way and that Brody may as well have had dead written on her forehead.

• clem will die at the end of the season for aj because she loves aj and not evil like many here

MosesARose posted: »

I just wanted to address the AJ supporter question: let me just say AJ let him off easy. I thought this was going to be a st John's senerio

• Yeah, Ben even mentions he found one at the Motor Inn. It's not far fetched to say she would know what one was

kinda stretched for these long ass bullet points. Dont know why you listed Clem knowing what a Bible page was. You literally just said you w

• edited August 2018

He seemed like a boiling pot since the beginning of the episode to me. His stutter as they were about to go scavenging for food, and how he just kept mentioning how he didn't want anymore kids to "die" kinda implied he was paranoid about raiders rather than the dead. His outburst with Brody had him doing what he did earlier but to someone he was able to express his frustrations too (in a negative manner but still). And as Brody pushed him; he without thinking did the same to Brody without realizing what he was holding was deadly. He even panics and before she dies begs clementine to help save her. His actions of leaving after she passed heavily expressed his child-ish nature and cowardly outlook.
    Even the standoff he seems scared the entire time he never came off his villainous even as he was holding a gun towards Clem (I don't count game-over deaths). A villain wouldn't drop his gun and beg for forgiveness; a child would though. A scared kid who didn't mean for any for this to happen. He was in a terrible situation and while I don't think what he did was at all right, its a honest catch 22 as there was no winning from the beginning. He was in a terrible situation so his little mood swings being driven into full force really worked for me. Not trying to convince ya just felt like saying my piece.

• You complain too much, this was masterfully written compared to ANF.

• Not disagreeing with your statement BUT literally anything is masterfully written compared to ANF.

Jayroen posted: »

You complain too much, this was masterfully written compared to ANF.

• This goes on for quite a while, but I stopped skimming around "Brody=Jolene=Crap Character."
    Um, excuse you!

I did notice a few things that took note of in my impressions, though.

• When Marlon is talking to Clem in his office and he talks about loss, if you choose the option to say you know what it's like to lose friends, Marlon snaps and yells at Clem to multiply it by 30 and then she'd know what he's feeling. The implication being they've lost dozens of kids over the years.

Yeah--at first, I was like "what the fuck...?," but then I remembered that this was indeed a Boarding School and I figured there would be numerous kids living there beforehand anyway.

@MayorMilk I also hope we get to know Omar more but I don’t think it’s a problem we didn’t interact with him much this episode. It’s a school with a fairly big group so I don’t really think it makes sense for Clem to really know everybody after like two days.

Yeah, he's the Chef. There's not much to bond with him over yet other than the fact that he's Louise's similarly cultured, if slightly fastidious friend.
    Maybe next episode, he'll sing us a song when we need advice.

I think Marlon definitely should’ve been determinant (if AJ only shot him depending on what we’ve taught him then there would be much less AJ hate right now that I can guarantee)

Yeah, that kinda sucks.
    I know where it's going, but it sucks nonetheless.

TLDR Well, that's not entirely true. I skimmed, and read part of it. Most of it just seems nit picky out of some weird determination to n

Sign in to comment in this discussion.