"Done Running" Cringey or Self-Aware? (SPOILERS)

edited September 2018 in The Walking Dead

So I've seen some people saying that some aspects of Done Running are Cringey to an extent. And I completely agree with that. Still I feel like with this particular episode I think Telltale wrote it that way on purpose. As far as the "Oh my Darling" scene, it didn't just come off Cringey. It came off Meta to me.

Seeing that "Oh my Darling" may be the most obvious joke you could possibly make regarding Clementine's name. I think that's just Telltale poking fun at themselves and being Self-Aware. In fact this isn't the only instance in which we see this sort of thing. EDIT: With the Cardgame scene, you have the option to ask about Marlon's haircut, to which Violet responds by saying it looks like a dead cat. Funny enough that's essentially what a lot of fans had said before the episode even came out. At the end of the Episode AJ points out after shooting Marlon that he was only doing as he was told at the beginning, which many people did not expect at all. To me, this almost felt forth-wall-breaking, especially with the way the camera angle was set up (If you know what I mean). Which begs the question, is the First Episode of The Final Season TOO Self-Aware?

Comments

• DeltinoDeltino Moderator

Welp, looks like the thread's over

You just can't argue with this post

Poogers555 posted: »

No.

• edited August 2018

I mean I understand what Telltale was going for with some of this stuff, but I also understand why some people would think this way about the Episode.

Deltino posted: »

Welp, looks like the thread's over You just can't argue with this post

• Yeah, some moments in that episode definitely felt on the nose, if not outright take-outs.
    Huckleberry Hound's favorite song is not one of em, incidentally.

• DeltinoDeltino Moderator

Huckleberry Hound

Is there a reason why you make so many obscure references to stuff that like, nobody on here even gets? Because you have a tendency to do that. Quite often, as a matter of fact.

DabigRG posted: »

Yeah, some moments in that episode definitely felt on the nose, if not outright take-outs. Huckleberry Hound's favorite song is not one of em, incidentally.

• edited August 2018

Huckelberry Hound is a Cartoon from the late 1950s. That's super old. My God.

Huckleberry Hound Is there a reason why you make so many obscure references to stuff that like, nobody on here even gets? Because you have a tendency to do that. Quite often, as a matter of fact.

• It's just a thing I do for the sake of it or fun or both?
    In this case, it was both a case of pop culture osmosis, "nostalgia," and a funny.

This sounds like a question I expected...some other people to demand, if I'm being honest.

Huckleberry Hound Is there a reason why you make so many obscure references to stuff that like, nobody on here even gets? Because you have a tendency to do that. Quite often, as a matter of fact.

• This.

I never actually watched it for a number of reasons, but I remember the old CN and Boomerang bumpers & clips.

patrickrc95 posted: »

Huckelberry Hound is a Cartoon from the late 1950s. That's super old. My God.

• Well I was actually expecting SOMEONE to make an “Oh My Darling, Clementine” joke since the beginning of Season 1.

And I liked AJ’s last line from the episode, specifically when he says “i aimed for the head”, because it struck me as something that would be a big ending panel in an issue of the comic. Also it was a moment that shows how AJ interprets everything you sw literally. AND not to mention that is ironic as hell, which made ME feel guilty for what AJ did because I taught him that.

So no, I didn’t think the episode was “cringe”

• Is it corny? Sure. Is it meta? I'm not sure I think so, no.

• Oh just try to ignore him, he's super weird

• He meant no harm though.

Oh just try to ignore him, he's super weird

• I didn't thought it was cringy at all. I mean, they're kids and teenagers. As long as they're not written like, you know, some of the Life is Strange characters, I'm ok with it.

• I didn't say he did

He meant no harm though.

• You think this is cringeworthy? Play LIS and you’ll die.

• Lul. LiS is a whole different ballgame. It's meant to be a realistic take on highschool. It's suppose to be cringy.

You think this is cringeworthy? Play LIS and you’ll die.

• I’m still in highshool and it’s nowhere near as cringy as the LIS games.

Lul. LiS is a whole different ballgame. It's meant to be a realistic take on highschool. It's suppose to be cringy.

• If you saw my highschool you'd rethink that.

I’m still in highshool and it’s nowhere near as cringy as the LIS games.

• What was cringey about it? It was funny and light-hearted.

• edited August 2018

I'm sure it's cringy in much different ways. Everyone think's it's normal until they look back on it lol

I’m still in highshool and it’s nowhere near as cringy as the LIS games.

• edited August 2018

If anything it's realistic a character would make a Clementine joke eventually...especially now that she's in a group of teenagers.

People joke about other people's names all the time

• Not a cringe first esp It was pretty good tbh.

• Thats a weak excuse

Lul. LiS is a whole different ballgame. It's meant to be a realistic take on highschool. It's suppose to be cringy.

• Louis was a bit cringy tbh

• The only cringe in the episode was AJ trying to act older than he is. Wait until the next episode when I slam dunk his tiny ass into a hoop

• What's this--A young[er] kid wants to be treated as being more capable of understanding and/or executing than their elders would give them credit for?
    I have never seen such precocious/aggrandizing behavior before!

Melton23 posted: »

The only cringe in the episode was AJ trying to act older than he is. Wait until the next episode when I slam dunk his tiny ass into a hoop

• It’ll cost him his eyes in the next episode

What's this--A young[er] kid wants to be treated as being more capable of understanding and/or executing than their elders would give them credit for? I have never seen such precocious/aggrandizing behavior before!

• you just spoiled me, right?

It’ll cost him his eyes in the next episode

• I was so tempted to tell you to shut up, but I didn't want you to misunderstand my inflection(or lack thereof, in this format).
    Stop being silly.

It’ll cost him his eyes in the next episode

• Hehehe I guess you’ll have to find out
    [insert to be continued here]

MrGraffio posted: »

you just spoiled me, right?

• edited August 2018

I hold a severe distaste for the humanoid being known as Alvin Junior, to which I will express my emotions accordingly within the following episode as punishment for rendering my choices pointless, and the corporation known as Telltale as, yet again, liars for seeding the idea into our minds that Alvin Junior’s personality and behaviour will be determined by the choices that we, the players, would make.

I was so tempted to tell you to shut up, but I didn't want you to misunderstand my inflection(or lack thereof, in this format). Stop being silly.

• ...Well damn.

I hold a severe distaste for the humanoid being known as Alvin Junior, to which I will express my emotions accordingly within the following

• lol

I hold a severe distaste for the humanoid being known as Alvin Junior, to which I will express my emotions accordingly within the following

• I completely agree, but people just refuse to see the episode's flaws because it's the final season and fans want it to be good. People actually argue that Done Running is as good as season 1 LOL. I actually like the episode, I like everything except the writing, and unfortunetely, bad writing can do so much harm.

Btw, I'm ready for the hate and the insults, bring it on >:)

• I HATE YOUR MOTHER AND YOUR FATHER AND YOUR WHOLE FUCKING FAMILY ALL OF THEM EAT POTATOES AND FREAKING TACOS ON A SHIT STICK I respect your opinion. :) o:)

qualityrice posted: »

I completely agree, but people just refuse to see the episode's flaws because it's the final season and fans want it to be good. People actu

• AYOO FAM KEEP YOUR LIFE

I completely agree, but people just refuse to see the episode's flaws because it's the final season and fans want it to be good. People actu

• I love Aj and that genuinely made me laugh

The only cringe in the episode was AJ trying to act older than he is. Wait until the next episode when I slam dunk his tiny ass into a hoop

• I didn't find it to be cringy. We are with a group of young teenagers. They are still kids and they will continue to act like kids. I think the writing was on point and it brought the characters to life. Children are goofy and silly no matter the environment. I am sure the environment actually allows the kids to be more creative and lead them to believe they are capable, badass survivors.

• You have your opinion and you are entitled to it :smile: but I do disagree with your statement. There are quite a number of people who despised A New Frontier and had no hope for The Final Season and were expecting it to crash and burn. Those same people actually found it to be quite an amazing Episode. Some even consider it a return to form for Telltale and The Walking Dead as well as being one of the best Launch Episodes that Telltale has ever produced. The writing was strong and although it took its time to unravel the Story and develop the characters, it still paid off.

Nobody is refusing to see anything. Everyone can see it and what they see is an incredible Episode that had a lot of heart and soul put into it.

But I see you went on to explain that you liked the Episode. I am glad you did. Also apologies if I was harsh or rude at any point. It was not the intent

• edited September 2018

Define Bad Writing. What are you referring to exactly? Clementine being oblivious to Gabe's snitching. That's bad writing. Clementine saying Javier earned her trust regardless of how you treat her. That's Bad Writing. What do you mean, Bad Writing?

Sign in to comment in this discussion.