Am I the only one that perfectly understands why everyone was mad at clem and AJ ?

13»

Comments

• He did try to defend his actions by saying he did it to protect everyone then he said he'd do it again. He killed brody then tried to frame clem for it and him trying to exile himself doesn't give him any points because he wanted to leave instead of staying and accepting punishment and atoning for what he did. He wanted to walk away and just wanted everyone to forget what he did like it didn't happen. That's pathetic and cowardly.

• Well, to be honest a coward would have tried to stay, It's dangerous out there, I think he just felt really guilty and his emotions came crashing down on him, the moment his gun drops. If you are mean to him he even admits that he is a coward, Marlon feels suuuper bad it's blatantly obvious. Not gonna force you to like him but, he did feel guilty and his way of atoning for his sins was for him to leave so he wouldn't hurt anyone else.

Scythenger posted: »

He did try to defend his actions by saying he did it to protect everyone then he said he'd do it again. He killed brody then tried to frame

• I think he was just an increasingly freaked out, dickwad wavering a little boys gun around ranting about how he's done so much to protect the group, including the horrific sacrifice he made that's been eating away at everyone including him.

I think he meant it.

• And wasnt he trying to do exactly that? A case be made that Marlon was short-sighted, foolish even, but I dont believe he was malicious about it

We also dont know what Lilly and Abel told him: Probably they sugar-coated the deal to make it seem more appealing by saying that the Twins will have food aplenty, electricity and a strong community to look after them in Delta. Omitting the Soldier-Child part.

And the thing is, aside from exiling him, what could they do to him that was worse than that? Lock him up, allowing him to drain precious resources for effort? Starve him to death and forcing his friends to see how he crumbles? Toorture and maim him and then wondering what exactly makes them better than him...?

Just kill him off? Who pulls the trigger then?

I think he saw hiss situation more clear than people give him credit for. He wished to be a burden for the group, even to except them from the burden of having to kill him.

He did try to defend his actions by saying he did it to protect everyone then he said he'd do it again. He killed brody then tried to frame

• edited September 2018

I do too. I took the choices that made sense to me. I didn't hesitate on them voting on me, correcting AJ on the choices and if it proved I had to leave on the open road I would take it. I guess from all the experiences from playing the other games I knew hanging back on any settlement of political dispute and warfare was never a good idea and it was always better to "keep moving" as my Lee would tell me to do. He right. It is Clementine's fault AJ shot Marlon, she was to take responsibility for his actions and to teach him the ways right. To be a model to him on how to deal with situations like this. It didn't matter what actions Marlon has taken, AJ didn't shoot Marlon when Marlon was attacking Brody so it couldn't be considered self defense. Marlon killing Brody and trading Minerva and Sophie (they could still be saved) should warrant his exile too (which I chose to do with him before he got headshotted). To even get a vote for Clem was generous at best. Going on exile would also teach AJ how dire the consequences are on his crime that it's no funny business that can easily be forgiven for otherwise he can end up a killing psychopath.

There might have been other options I could think of but they weren't given like put AJ into solitary confinement for a couple of years or something even if it's cruel and unusual punishment for a child his age.

• I'd rather flip Carley.

Fuck Marlon.

• Of course they're mad, but Clem is AJ's protector and guardian, so she's going to be incredibly biased towards him regardless of the situation. I'd stand by AJ's side even if he just got done shooting puppies.

Threatening and yelling at AJ is not just going to fly.

Mitch even draws a blade on you.

And then you'll say self-defense in that regard would be over the line.

TEAMAJ

• lol, he absolutely meant it.

Marlon was going to sell off Clem and AJ.

I think he meant it.

• I dunno, I thought all the reactions made sense. Consider the fact that the funeral is hot off the heels of Marlon and Brody's deaths. Literally the morning after. Everyone's still struggling to reconcile their feelings at that point, because so much stuff just happened: Marlon murdered Brody, revealed he traded away two group members and attempted to kill someone else to protect his secret, and then he's promptly shot in the head after he surrendered. That's a lot to take in some 8-9 hours after he died. No one's even really had the chance to come to terms with the fact that Marlon and Brody are dead, let alone the fact that Marlon wasn't the benevolent, strong leader they thought he was. People aren't great at handling a bunch of bad news all at once. People like to make things simple; handle things one part at a time. They're currently at the point where the only thing really registering in their heads is that Marlon is dead. Him killing Brody, trading the twins, trying to kill Clementine? They're not actively thinking about those. They're trying to reconcile their feelings one piece at a time, starting with Marlon's death. That's the impression I get, at least. I mean, generally speaking, two person funerals seem pretty rare. And I imagine that's because it's easier to deal with one person being dead than multiple people.

No one says much at his funeral, sure, but on top of what I said above, remember the fact that the funeral just started when Clementine and AJ showed up. No one even had the chance to say anything on Marlon's behalf yet.

Violet had an extremely close connection to one of the people Marlon traded away, and I imagine Brody also dying by his hand plays into her hatred towards Marlon; she probably feels guilty about how she treated Brody, and knowing that Marlon killed her before she was able to fully make amends? She's probably partly taking it out on Marlon. I think you're right in that Violet's feelings were emotionally driven, just that unlike the other kids feeling angry and vengeful towards AJ and Clementine, Violet directed those feelings towards Marlon. And obviously that leads to a clash where Violet thinks everyone else is being unreasonable by saddling all the blame on AJ and Clementine. Basically, she's in a similar position as the other kids: dealing with one thing at a time. She just ended up focusing on who Marlon was rather than the fact that he's dead.

Louis eventually coming around makes sense to me, too. You can tell from the beginning of the episode that Louis, despite how angry and upset he is, he's also quite conflicted on how he feels about both Clem and AJ. He talks a lot of crap, but just pay attention to his facial expressions. You can see multiple points where he seems to be thinking "oh god what am I doing" to himself. By the time two weeks pass, I think Louis has had more than enough time to come to terms with what Marlon did, to realize that AJ didn't just gun him down in cold blood. Louis is pretty clearly one of those people that just... simply can't stay mad at people. He's someone with too good a heart. You see that side of him get tested pretty heavily in the first half, but he's ultimately able to stay true to himself. Whether or not he fully forgives AJ for what he did, that's another story... but he definitely reached a point where he understands why it happened.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.