Clem doesn't need a relationship.

13»

Comments

• I hope you become great friends with Tenn, because nothing will be stable until "this age" is over. Friendships are just as easy to lose as Romances. And I mean True friends, not just people who pretend they are. It can also be hard to tell the difference, too. You're going to live your life thinking about what could instead of what can? Well, to each their own I suppose.

Luciann10 posted: »

Again, by "relationship" I meant romance, not friendships. Like I said in another comment : "You need to have something stable first.You work to build it. The way things are right now, a relationship is completely unnecessary. "

• edited October 2018

When will be the time? In the world she is living, there may not be a time. Things might not ever become stable, for some.

No, screw it. Let her live life a little. Experience love at least once, she's at the right age now. In all her life post apocalypse when have things ever been "stable"? Shit always falls apart, people die. Next time it falls apart it could be her dying.

...and it probably will be in EP 4 :wink:

Yes, but like I said in a previous comment, now is not the time. I'll just quote that comment : "You need to have something stable first.You work to build it. The way things are right now, a relationship is completely unnecessary. "

• Love is for suckers

• edited October 2018

That's not how most human beings work

• edited October 2018

Nuh-uh, Louis best boi. :angry:

(Apparently LouisxGabe exists.. Yikes)

lottii-lu posted: »

No it's this guy ? (This is meme. Gabentine bad.)

• Apparently LouisxGabe exists

That sounds so Lexi Porter

• So did GabexViolet beforehand.

Fangirl101 posted: »

Nuh-uh, Louis best boi. (Apparently LouisxGabe exists.. Yikes)

• Same for me, in a situation as the Zombie Apocalypse:
    I think she needs a STRONG group of faithful FRIENDS: they can watch her back and she will do the same for them, without dangerous "falling in love" situations. For that reason, in the game I chose Violet, but ONLY as a "friend". That isn't a world ready for love: Newborns have little hope to survive, and (if they make it to the adult years) all their life will be a curse.
    First of all she needs to find true friends, to build a secure place, clean (the more possible) the world from the zombies plague, so (only after all that) she could start to think about boy/girlfriends, babies, etc.

• Everyone who says she does not needs a relationship during the ZA probably idiots who fail to remember that the ZA is going to last her whole life probably....And if any of you dorks were in that position...you would be looking for the nearest human for love and comfort.

• First of all, watch the language. Second, like Outlander(and I) said above (this is like the third time I repeat it) : They need to build something stable, first. Take the post-Negan arc from the comics. Rick managed to build a community. He worked hard so they can(try to) rebuild the life they had before. Now, i'm not saying Clem should build a big-ass community(even though that would be really cool), but build a "home". She needs to focus on that (and let's not forget AJ) .

Everyone who says she does not needs a relationship during the ZA probably idiots who fail to remember that the ZA is going to last her whol

• I would point out that relationships had already formed before Alexandria...waiting til you have built a community is sure the best time...but it also ignores some basic truths about human nature. In the ZA there is no safe time...you build a community then all of a sudden a 10 thousand strong herd rushes through and breaks down the walls and kills half of your people. Or a mad man takes a ball bat to your loved ones...there are no safe moments, thinking so is kidding yourselves.

First of all, watch the language. Second, like Outlander(and I) said above (this is like the third time I repeat it) : They need to build so

• Love and confort mean nothing, watch how Alvin Junior will be the reason Clementine will die in the end.
    If I were living in a ZA, for me the only thing that would matter is surviving, I am up for mutual friendship that bring benefits for everyone, but I'm not going to die for someone.
    You can't speak for everyone else, I understand that for some here love and stuff like that is important, but I'm not going to say that who thinks so is an idiot.

Everyone who says she does not needs a relationship during the ZA probably idiots who fail to remember that the ZA is going to last her whol

• edited October 2018

Lol, anyone who goes and gets themselves pregnant (consented that is) in a ZA without being safe inside a genuine strong community is what you would call an idiot not those who are actually smart.

The last thing anyone should be focusing on is love and romance in a ZA, not until you can definitely say you are safe and somewhere that isn’t going to fall apart like most groups. Love in a ZA is what makes you weak and would most likely break you worse than if it were just friends in a group that ended up dying.

• Thank you for saying this, I agree. The only idiots are those who treat a ZA like it was a normal life. The last thing people should be thinking about is love, romance, sex etc unless you know you’re safe and can live your life in peace

Gauss99 posted: »

Love and confort mean nothing, watch how Alvin Junior will be the reason Clementine will die in the end. If I were living in a ZA, for me t

• edited October 2018

But you will never be safe

Thank you for saying this, I agree. The only idiots are those who treat a ZA like it was a normal life. The last thing people should be thinking about is love, romance, sex etc unless you know you’re safe and can live your life in peace

• Really? I never saw it.

DabigRG posted: »

So did GabexViolet beforehand.

• Well if the place/community you are at is superior to anything we’ve seen on the tv show, game or comics and has a perfect working order of things and people who are genuinely good i don’t see how you can’t be safe.

But you will never be safe

• I shared it here.

Fangirl101 posted: »

Really? I never saw it.

• Clem needs Louis in her life. ;)

• Yes if you're inside a building with metal walls and have food for the next 50 years, then you're safe. And even if you have all those things, you still have to deal with people who can snap at any moment and kill you.
    It will never be completely safe.

Well if the place/community you are at is superior to anything we’ve seen on the tv show, game or comics and has a perfect working order of things and people who are genuinely good i don’t see how you can’t be safe.

• Which is why i said if everyone were good people and stayed good and you had metal walls and food to last a lifetime. There certainly is a chance of being safe then. A longshot yes but not impossible

Yes if you're inside a building with metal walls and have food for the next 50 years, then you're safe. And even if you have all those thing

• But its impossible to have all those things. Thats why you have to enjoy life a little, because you will eventually die either way.

Which is why i said if everyone were good people and stayed good and you had metal walls and food to last a lifetime. There certainly is a chance of being safe then. A longshot yes but not impossible

• Well i’m a glass half full kind of guy, i look on the positives rather than the negatives. I feel it is possible to have all those things but inevitably we all die eventually as you said which i do agree with.

But its impossible to have all those things. Thats why you have to enjoy life a little, because you will eventually die either way.

• edited October 2018

I just remembered condoms don't even exist either at this point.

Even more stupid.

You all saw what happened to Jane.

I like to think Clem is more smarter than that.

No, she is smarter than that.

• Which is why you romance Violet! xD

I just remembered condoms don't even exist either at this point. Even more stupid. You all saw what happened to Jane. I like to think Clem is more smarter than that. No, she is smarter than that.

• Nah, they'll just find something else to be creepy about.

Joe_Momma posted: »

Welcome to Antishipping Gang Luciann Remember kids: fans can't be creepy about a relationship if there is no relationship.

• DeltinoDeltino Moderator
    edited October 2018

I know I'm quite late to the party here, but regarding the whole shipping fiasco and how some people are throwing some of their misgivings towards Telltale: I'm not even sure I'd blame them for it. Sure, they wrote it in, fair enough. But they also wrote an entire story beyond that, too. With other characters. And other dynamics between those characters. And other themes. And other plot points. Louis and Violet get a good amount of screentime and characterization, but it's not like every single scene has some romantic subtext to it by design. Most people that claim such things are people that seem to be adding that subtext themselves. For 90% of their scenes, there's about as much romantic undertones as there was between Lee and Kenny in S1, as far as I'm concerned.

There's not really any nice way to say this next part, so I'll just be blunt: it's the fans themselves that are choosing to focus on the romance in particular. It's not all that forced within the game itself, at least not from my perspective. Maybe you could argue the game's suggesting that you pursue a relationship with one of two characters, but it still gives you full control over making that decision at the end of the day. The romance is 100% consensual on the player's behalf, no pigeonholing players into it like Javier and Kate in ANF. You wanna shack up with Violet or Louis? It's up to you. You wanna go all the way and go in for the kiss? Also up to you. You want to keep things platonic, no extra strings attached? Great, you get that option, too.

For some reason, a lot of fanbases have this weird niche group of people that are incredibly infatuated by character ships. I'm not entirely sure what it is that's so fascinating about it, but it is what it is. But I don't think the devs deserve the blame unless they are very obviously doing it purely for fanservice. Some people might argue you have that vibe with Louis/Violet, but both characters undoubtedly serve a purpose within the narrative beyond just being romantic interests. And again, the player is still given full reign over whether or not they want to pursue a relationship. Hell, they even made an entire achievement for the people that kept things platonic. That alone seems to suggest that forcing romantic elements wasn't their primary intention.

Bottom line, I think the whole relationship business is handled about as well as it can be handled (well, maybe except for confirming Clem as bi, if only for the simple fact that people made a fuss about this when they did it with Javier. I think that made it pretty clear nothing good would come out of doing it a second time, with the main character of the entire series nonetheless). The choice is left up to the player, they're not particularly forced to choose the romance option (there's no extra incentives/bonuses offered by choosing the romance path, and I hope it stays that way and doesn't factor into the possible multiple endings), and the game doesn't dwell on it as much as some people make it sound like. You get some tease-y scenes with both characters throughout the first two episodes, but it's not like they make up the majority of the character interactions. Episode 1 spends a fair amount of time characterizing Marlon, and attempting to help AJ adjust to an unfamiliar environment. The first half of episode 2 has basically everyone besides Violet and Tenn not really liking Clementine all that much. The middle of episode 2 mostly has you hanging out with Ruby and Mitch. And the actual 'romance' scene/choice is a ~5 minute sequence near the end of the episode (in an episode that runs for roughly 2+ hours), just before the actual climax/finale. I don't see much of an imbalance here.

• You have a knack for putting my thoughts into words better than I ever could.

You touched on it a bit, but the overall difference between the romance in TFS and ANF is that, while TFS has romance, it's not directly at the forefront nor is it the main driver of the game's plot or central theme. That right there, is the central reason why TFS succeeds in this regard where ANF failed, it's a tiny subplot in the overall events of the game, which is exactly where it should be. Not to mention that, despite that, it still plays out and develops more naturally than anything in ANF, most notably, Clem and Gabe. While most of their "development" was given through character exposition or other characters simply mentioning it, we've had a bunch of interactions with both Louis and Violet that allow us to get to know and understand these characters on a much deeper level. You actually develop the friendship with them first, and from there, you have the choice to pursue something more with either of them, while in ANF, Clem and Gabe were practically forced together, and the only autonomy the player has in regards to it is what ending they chose in S2, which determines Clem's reaction to him dying.

Deltino posted: »

I know I'm quite late to the party here, but regarding the whole shipping fiasco and how some people are throwing some of their misgivings t

• Dex-StarrDex-Starr Banned
    edited October 2018

Actually, Clementine does need a relationship. She needs to have a Goku/Vegeta relationship with someone, one where she has a really close friend that'll help her get through hard times, and overcome any obstacle no matter how steep or high. Most importantly, she needs someone who will make her strong.

• edited October 2018

The sooner Clementine has a relationship, the sooner she can die.

• Nobody needs a relationship, but as kids grow up, they have a desire to share their lives with another person. Clem has seen and lost so much that she deserves to be happy with whoever she wants.

As long as they bring her back home by 11:00p.m

• Is it wrong that I saw this and the first impression was an artsy/dramatic music video?

bobshaw posted: »

The sooner Clementine has a relationship, the sooner she can die.

• DeltinoDeltino Moderator

I could see it being a scene from a music video where she's swaggering across the screen with tomato juice spraying out of her head for some reason.

DabigRG posted: »

Is it wrong that I saw this and the first impression was an artsy/dramatic music video?

• That's good honesty. Louis is already a good dad to AJ. Let's create a whole family.

I just remembered condoms don't even exist either at this point. Even more stupid. You all saw what happened to Jane. I like to think Clem is more smarter than that. No, she is smarter than that.

• completely agree. you can't put your life on pause because you're not living in some magic utopia. if all you care about is yourself and all you do is survive then it's not much of a life anyway and you might as well die. people are what matters. i already have people i care about enough to give my life for so a zombie apocalypse would be no different.

But its impossible to have all those things. Thats why you have to enjoy life a little, because you will eventually die either way.

• all the scenes with louis where he isn't hitting on clem he's being a dick to her about aj shooting marlon. which is why i hate him and let him get kidnapped.

Deltino posted: »

I know I'm quite late to the party here, but regarding the whole shipping fiasco and how some people are throwing some of their misgivings t

Sign in to comment in this discussion.