Did they really have to ______

Did they really have to cut of Louis tongue? Like couldn't they tape his mouth and tie his hands, Did they run out of ideas? did skybound run of dramatic stuff?

Comments

• edited January 2019

That's my thought as well, brother/sister.

Check out the later pages of the Final Season barely feels thread. Nevermind.

• "AcAtioNS hAve ConSiquEnceS i cuT ouT tOunGe sO yOu KnoW iM bAd!1! whY??/ iDk cuZ iM jUst SooPeR bAd NoW1!"

• Did they run out of ideas?

Yeah pretty much.

• Woah, wait a minute, did you change your profile pic?

• That picture tho ?

Poogers555 posted: »

"AcAtioNS hAve ConSiquEnceS i cuT ouT tOunGe sO yOu KnoW iM bAd!1! whY??/ iDk cuZ iM jUst SooPeR bAd NoW1!"

• Telltale writers: "Goddammit team we need something dark we've shown the audience too much awww moments what're guna do?"
    Genius writer: "How about we get a choice were if clem doesn't want to join the delta she'll loose the one she chose to save? That'd be nice right?"
    Lead writer :" meh I need something darker and with no context whatsoever"
    Writer 2:" LeTs CuT oUt lOuIs tOngUe tHat'D be dEprEssiOn amiright!"
    Lead writer: YOU'RE A GOD DAMN GENIUS

• Here's what I previously said.

She has indeed been hurting the delinquents when necessary to get the point, but almost never in a way that interferes with the very objective of recruiting them as able bodies. Almost, except if Louis was the one Sullene/Dorian captured; in which case, she [apparently personally] cuts his friggin tongue out! Something that likely permanently disables him in a crucial way, both in universe and out. And why did she do this?
    Assim: "He just kept talking. :neutral:"

And you just hit on another, out of universe issue with the Louis thing in particular: it just comes off such an attempt to be edgy, shocking, and "authentic" that veers outside of the character's general methods and also messing with tone somethin fierce.

LazinessBonus for contrast:

And let's address her letting Dorian chop off some of Louis/Violet's fingertips with a[nother] cleaver. I was considering doing an FA on it, but it's a shallow enough subject that I can just do it here:
    This happens in minutes after a sudden attack involving walkers, a sabotaging thief, and stowaways--Clementeen, AJ, and Louis/Violet, plus unknowingly to her Ruby's Revenge. They have orchestrated this attack, dispatched Armando & possibly Michael, and made it to their friends' cells, where Minnie ended up tricking them into becoming prisoners themselves. And Clementeen, in addition to all of the previous impudence, killed Abel to get the ship's location and is still resisting the Deltas' mission. So following her own lesson of setting an example, she signals Dorian to enter their & AJ's cell to do this...and it almost works storywise.
    Now, why does that [almost] work when what can happen if Louis was already captured doesn't? Well, there's a number of factors:

• As you said, this may not hinder their value as a fighter too much, given they still have what's left of those fingers, maybe two unchopped ones, and whole other hand to use
    • It's determinant and thus can be prevented

• The alternative scenario is probably the one unambiguously good moment in the third act

• She's doing it in order to get Clementeen, the most resistant, effective-leader of these adolescents, to submit; more on that in a moment

• A little narrative technique called "raising the stakes" where the threat escalates within reason; didn't wanna leave this off for last

• Back to the submission point, something that they didn't go with, but totally could have is this--it could've been a partial bluff and/or sadistic choice: either Clementeen breaks to protect her friend or Dorian breaks them. If she does break, which is likely with Lilith was banking on happening, then it's a empty threat done to intimidate; if not, well then, it looks like your pride was too much to exchange for your friend's morale. After all, she had the power to stop what Louis/Violet was gonna suffer.

You see not only the distinction, but the consistency there vs the combo we got? You still have a pretty straightforward but not too destructive villain who errs into slightly damaging her own motivations, but for a specific reason that poses to help it in the long run. And out of universe, you still have a reworked character that actually makes sense in and of itself. And all I really did there (outside of that last bullet point, if you wanna count it) was isolate what reeeeeally doesn't work from something that still pushes it, but not that much.

• DeltinoDeltino Moderator
    edited January 2019

I mean, you don't technically need a tongue to be a soldier. He can still hold and fire a gun, which is the important part.

But really, jokes aside, even if they can't condition him into a soldier after doing that, he certainly makes a good example of what happens to the people that resist, which would probably persuade the other people she captured to cooperate. So it's sacrificing a potential soldier (who may not have even been fit for fighting in the first place, which would make him dead weight in regards to their mission) in other to further establish dominance over the other two.

Logistically, it's not the worst call somebody could make. It's not a great long-term plan, it's barbaric as all hell, and there are less brutal ways to get the point across... but seeing that kind of brutality is not completely uncommon as a whole. Cartels ain't above making colorful examples out of people to keep everybody else in line, right? Maybe it's not the most apt comparison to make, but extreme force can be a powerful motivator under the right circumstances; namely circumstances where the victims aren't in any condition to adequately fight back. If your enemy is practically a wild animal that's three times your size, who in their right mind will actually try to put up resistance when they see what happened to the other guys that tried? It's just a fine line between breaking somebody down in order to groom/condition them, versus irrevocably traumatizing them. Louis might be an example of the latter, but Minerva is a good example of the former. And Louis might have led to the other two falling under the former, as well.

• I wouldn’t call it running out of ideas, I mean how is it? A character has never lost their tongue in the whole of the walking dead before, including show, comics and games so I’d honestly like to know why you think they’re running out of ideas.

• Don´t forget that Louis is a guy that always tries to keep morale up in the group.
    That really makes Lilly´s job of breaking the kids much more difficult, so cutting out his tonguecould be a smart move.

• Yeah it's not the unrealistic at all considering in real life these things actually happen.

Deltino posted: »

I mean, you don't technically need a tongue to be a soldier. He can still hold and fire a gun, which is the important part. But really, j

• And considering it totally worked, Aasim is too terrified to even talk to you after it happens.

Deltino posted: »

I mean, you don't technically need a tongue to be a soldier. He can still hold and fire a gun, which is the important part. But really, j

Sign in to comment in this discussion.