How good do you think Take Us Back will be?

edited February 2019 in The Walking Dead

A lot is riding on this episode considering it’s the last one. What are your expectations?

I remember hearing somewhere in an interview for TFS (can’t remember which one) that they actually wrote the ending first and then built the season around it, that gives me a lot of hope personally.

But what are your thoughts? Do you think this will be a satisfying conclusion to Clementine’s story? Why or why not?

Comments

• edited February 2019

I feel it'll either be really good or really bad.

Im a bit worried its going to be bad, especially considering knowing the whole "We wrote the ending first" type of deal. If I recall correctly that is still true, I think it was said again even after the team switch. But that being said, hearing the ending was written first and the set up episode 3 gives, does not make me have that much faith.

If they started with the ending, and episode 3's ending is whats suppose to lead us into that ending, it did a really bad job doing so. It was a really bad set up for a finale, and if the ending was truly written first, Im pretty worried this is the set up for the last episode with the "ending we wrote first because we wanted to make a great ending."

• We all want the final episode to be great. It's the last thing we will ever see from Telltale again. The ending must be done very well that has multi-endings that will make everyone happy. This story started in 2012. We've been leading up to the conclusion to this story for six years. I pray that the wait will be worth it. I've enjoyed the final season, I hope the last episode becomes one of my favorites. The ending will be the lasting impression we have on the final season. If the ending is done very well, most of us will look back on the final season years from now and say it was a good game. If this final episode is good; I will remember this game forever. If it is terrible; I will be crushed and will not look fondly on the final season.

• I'm another one who thinks it'll either be really amazing or godawful. I think that's the way it is with most endings for something you're extremely attached to. You can either be blown away or let down. I want it to be the best episode ever (asking a lot, I know). I want to be happy, but I could still love the ending if it is sad as long as it ties together and makes sense as the ending. It would be interesting if the ending was based on choices you made throughout.

I have been wondering if that final decision in episode 3 will have a larger impact on the final episode. Like if you didn't shoot Lily and James turns, Walker James is responsible for biting and then killing one of the characters we love.

• edited February 2019

This season haven’t let me down, so it would be so damn good.?

• Bad and you are all going to realise that I was right all along. I shall make a thread when that day comes. ?☠️

• edited February 2019

I hope it's as good as Episode 1 was and not disappointing like episode 2 and 3 were,the devs kept saying that they wrote the ending of the game first and that the ending would satisfy even the most "die hard walking dead fans" or something,they seemed pretty confident and still are so that gives me hope that the last episode will be a good conclusion to the series.

• Let us hope it ends on a good note, but as I have said before: my faith in this game has gone.

iFoRias posted: »

I hope it's as good as Episode 1 was and not disappointing like episode 2 and 3 were,the devs kept saying that they wrote the ending of the

• Putting "Let us hope it ends on a good note" and "my faith in this game is gone" in the same sentence makes a very contradicting sentence. I'm confuse

Let us hope it ends on a good note, but as I have said before: my faith in this game has gone.

• This season's been pretty great so I believe it will have a good ending, although you can't please everyone

• edited February 2019

If they started with the ending, and episode 3's ending is whats suppose to lead us into that ending, it did a really bad job doing so. It was a really bad set up for a finale,

Well regardless of opinions towards episode 3, I’d say it left episode 4 pretty open in terms of what can happen next. It kinda reminds of what Amid the Ruins did in the sense that really anything could happen. So if you weren’t a huge fan of where episode 3 went with it’s story I’d say try to leave an open mind on this next one, and if they wrote the ending first I feel like that shows that they wanted the ending to be the best or most memorable part of this season.

Poogers555 posted: »

I feel it'll either be really good or really bad. Im a bit worried its going to be bad, especially considering knowing the whole "We wrot

• the devs kept saying that they wrote the ending of the game first and that the ending would satisfy even the most "die hard walking dead fans" or something,they seemed pretty confident

The fact that they wrote the ending first makes me think that the ending (or the last act of episode 4) will shift focus to just Clementine and Aj. I think this because why and how would you make an ending for new characters you haven’t even established yet? I think this finale will have some sort of ending for these new characters, and then the very end (like the final act) will just focus on ending Clementine and Aj’s overall story.

I hope it's as good as Episode 1 was and not disappointing like episode 2 and 3 were,the devs kept saying that they wrote the ending of the

• I personally believe their is no way this last episode will be terrible (at least for me) because I’ve thoroughly enjoyed every episode, including 3 which a lot of people seemed to hate. At worst it will be an ok episode, but I’m pretty confident they can make something great because (like I said before) the fact that they wrote the ending first makes me believe that they wanted to make sure, if anything, that the ending to Clementine’s story will be satisfactory.

We all want the final episode to be great. It's the last thing we will ever see from Telltale again. The ending must be done very well that

• "reminds of what Amid the Ruins did in the sense that really anything could happen."

And thats not really good. Amid the Ruins was all over and then episode 5 just completely changed the goal of going to the town and made them go somewhere else until people just left and then there was the Kenny VS Jane fight. I dont think it was the most disappointing ending, but it def didnt have much of a goal for it. Like its pretty apparent the "real" ending is the Kenny ending as the Jane and alone ones are super lack luster compared, you could just see the rewrites present the whole episode which just felt like an hour and a half of wandering.

If they started with the ending, and episode 3's ending is whats suppose to lead us into that ending, it did a really bad job doing so. It w

• And thats not really good. Amid the Ruins was all over and then episode 5 just completely changed the goal of going to the town and made them go somewhere else until people just left and then there was the Kenny VS Jane fight.

I agree that Amid the Ruins was a pretty bad episode, but I don’t think the open ended ending was what made it bad imo (they’re many other reasons). I personally loved No Going Back and how it was able to save the season from the previous 2 lackluster episodes, however ik a lot of people aren’t a huge fan of the overall latter half of S2.

Like its pretty apparent the "real" ending is the Kenny ending as the Jane and alone ones are super lack luster compared

Ok the Jane endings where pretty bad and felt like last minute additions (especially because they went back to Howes, and already made setting) but all the alone ending variations were just as solid as the Kenny endings imo.

"reminds of what Amid the Ruins did in the sense that really anything could happen." And thats not really good. Amid the Ruins was all ov

• I realise I didn't really answer earlier. But yeah, I think the ending will be amazing based off the first three episodes. I have loved TFS so far.

• This Season didn’t dissapoint me at all. I enjoyed all three episodes and I believe that the final episode also will not let me down.
    Who knows, maybe it will be the best episode in whole series? Maybe not, but I believe this episode will be great like all episodes in this Season!

• I was about to mention that it was paradoxical, but eh, you worked it out. :p

Putting "Let us hope it ends on a good note" and "my faith in this game is gone" in the same sentence makes a very contradicting sentence. I'm confuse

• U can't have hope, and have no faith at the same time. That's a contradiction. Make up your mind.

Let us hope it ends on a good note, but as I have said before: my faith in this game has gone.

• How dare you correlate this with Bennington’s death? You should be ashamed of yourself, Patrick.

patrickrc95 posted: »

U can't have hope, and have no faith at the same time. That's a contradiction. Make up your mind.

• Ok so I was wondering if someone more informed then me can clear this up. It kinda ties into the subject of this thread so I’ll leave a comment on it here.

I’ve been hearing a lot about TFS having an apparently low budget. Has this been a thing since launch or a problem that arose post Telltale shutting down? If so, how much do you think it will realistically affect the last episode? Like I know episode 3 was already almost finished when Telltale shut down, so if the budget is a real problem here couldn’t that heavily affect episode 4 because this is essentially the only episode being built from the ground up by the StillNotBitten team? Not gonna lie, that makes me kinda nervous.

• Episode 4 should overall reach the same quality as they were originally going for, but yes the budget was still not the greatest from the start.

Ok so I was wondering if someone more informed then me can clear this up. It kinda ties into the subject of this thread so I’ll leave a comm

• Episode 4 should overall reach the same quality as they were originally going for,

Ok that’s a relief to hear. I’m personally perfectly ok with the quality of this season so far, I was just worried it was a more recent issue.

but yes the budget was still not the greatest from the start.

That’s pretty interesting. I think this game has been beautiful graphically (like imo it’s my favorite look) and the new combat system and controlable third person camera have been nice additions and overall the animations are the least clunky in the series. I guess the decisions and the branching paths aren’t as well done as S1, but that’s been an ongoing problem in this series since S2. Glitches (from what I’ve noticed) have also been at an all time low compared to previous seasons. I’ve heard you talk about how the Wellington ending was removed do to the budget which sounds strange considering the overall improved quality in the other departments of the game. I guess this series has always been bad at carrying over choices from previous seasons though.

Episode 4 should overall reach the same quality as they were originally going for, but yes the budget was still not the greatest from the start.

• I didn't say anything about that. The point was that if you don't like something on social media, don't engage or interact with it. Meaning if you don't like The Walking Dead then don't interact in this forum. You're giving this forum unnecessary traffic by doing that.

How dare you correlate this with Bennington’s death? You should be ashamed of yourself, Patrick.

• I am entitled to an opinion whether you like it or not just like any other individual. The video you sent me was about mental health and disgusts me that you claim I am spreading hateful messages to individuals. You clearly have no idea what mental health is nor the impact Bennington’s death had on his family and friends. I am not going to respond to your future messages because you are one example of how toxic our society is.

I didn't say anything about that. The point was that if you don't like something on social media, don't engage or interact with it. Meaning

• Telltale's budget in general was so low that TWAU season 2 was only going to be able to have 3 episodes, so TFS's budget was probably the lower than the previous seasons

Ok so I was wondering if someone more informed then me can clear this up. It kinda ties into the subject of this thread so I’ll leave a comm

• No duh. That's why TFS wound up having 4 instead of the usual 5 Episodes.

Cheddarhead posted: »

Telltale's budget in general was so low that TWAU season 2 was only going to be able to have 3 episodes, so TFS's budget was probably the lower than the previous seasons

• Well, I think it fit the story good so far. Maybe an extra episode to help wrap things up with Delta. But if Ep.4 is done well, 4 episodes is all they need. They stretched ANF to five episodes when each episode is only around an hour long. They could've squeezed it down to 4 or even 3. Number of episodes doesn't really matter; so as long as a good story comes from it.

No duh. That's why TFS wound up having 4 instead of the usual 5 Episodes.

• Honestly, the graphics, new combat system, controllable third person camera, and animations auren't even that good. Like obviously I would compliment Telltale for incorporating this stuff in their game, but that's just because it's Telltale. Choices were insanely bad this season. There isn't even a solid illusion of choice. The game just lets you know that things won't change, that things will be done in such a way that require less effort. We all know that Episode 4 will be quite different, but the others weren't good.

Episode 4 should overall reach the same quality as they were originally going for, Ok that’s a relief to hear. I’m personally perfec

• Same, I do like the step forward for the combat but it gets repetitive and boring quick. The bow and arrow stuff was really good though, but its only really used once in episode 2, then episode 3 uses it but there isnt much room to walk around. Could use way more variety instead of walk around slowly, get stuck on invisible walls, die because the kill animation took 30 seconds to complete and then you get killed by 3 walkers just standing waiting for the animation to finish.

Ghetsis posted: »

Honestly, the graphics, new combat system, controllable third person camera, and animations auren't even that good. Like obviously I would c

• Animations look quite stiff - nothing has really departed from what people expect of Telltale. Graphics caught my eye at the start of Episode 1 but it kinda went downhill afterward, especially with EP1 ending with the rain making skin look like something out of ANF.

I don't really care about this stuff because I'm fine with it, it's Telltale, but it is surprising when people say this season looks and feels amazing because it really doesn't.

Same, I do like the step forward for the combat but it gets repetitive and boring quick. The bow and arrow stuff was really good though, but

• edited February 2019

I don't really care about this stuff because I'm fine with it, it's Telltale, but it is surprising when people say this season looks and feels amazing because it really doesn't.

I think at this point most people who are still into this series and play this game doesn't care anymore,what i'm saying here is that even if the game has some major flaws they ignore them and act like it's the best thing ever because after A New Frontier people are just happy to be playing a decent walking dead game again.

But you know these people are gonna flip flop after EP4 if Clem dies or some stupid shit.

Animations look quite stiff - nothing has really departed from what people expect of Telltale. Graphics caught my eye at the start of Episod

• Well personally I think the actual look of the game is fine, I feel its the art style they should have gone with originally when they upgraded instead of whatever the fuck ANF was.

But I will say the sense of atmosphere went away after episode 1. Like the part where you hear Marlon and Brody and leave the room and go outside super late at night with no one else around felt really good for me, it really made me feel like I was sneaking out at night to investigate. (like the whole silent night with the heavy breeze, that felt really atmospheric and really got me into it, but sadly after episode 1 that type of truly immersed in the world's atmosphere feeling went away)

Animations look quite stiff - nothing has really departed from what people expect of Telltale. Graphics caught my eye at the start of Episod

• If it'll be one ending.... A lot will shit on it but if it's multiple it should be branched like batman s2 e5 otherwise it's a fail in my eyes.

• ikr, inb4 Clem dying determinantly = sUcH a cLicHe!

I don't really care about this stuff because I'm fine with it, it's Telltale, but it is surprising when people say this season looks and fee

• I doubt it'll be as branched as Batman Ep 5 where it was basically 2 episodes, and I low key hope it doesnt because that means one episode is just gonna be more FIGHT LILLY or you get AJ IS CRAZY and I feel one story line will end up being way fucking better than the other which would suck.

That being said, I want a lot of choice to matter. I do want a ton of branching on the same story line. Make it more focused like how episode 5 of season 1 was where its largely the same, but its where all your relationships with characters start to really matter. If episode 4 ends with that feel of "none of my choices really branched" this season will go down as the most disappointing in terms of choice, just boring generic choices that have barely any real impact instead of unique choices that feel like they changed the game.

If it'll be one ending.... A lot will shit on it but if it's multiple it should be branched like batman s2 e5 otherwise it's a fail in my eyes.

• I believe it will turn out marvelous. This is Clementine's last episode; they will not let us down!

• edited February 2019

solid oof

I believe it will turn out marvelous. This is Clementine's last episode; they will not let us down!

• edited February 2019

Honestly, the graphics, new combat system, controllable third person camera, and animations auren't even that good.

I disagree. For a 20$ game, they do a good job. Just comparing this game to others at its price point puts this into perspective.

Choices were insanely bad this season. There isn't even a solid illusion of choice.

Yea they aren’t that great, especially compared to S1. I do, However, think TFS does this better then S2 and ANF.

The game just lets you know that things won't change, that things will be done in such a way that require less effort. We all know that Episode 4 will be quite different, but the others weren't good.

I personally don’t think it’s a matter of less effort, more so that it’s simply a cheaper game with a smaller budget. I know S1 was around the same price point as well, but a lot of people like to forget how unpolished that game actually was. Like if you think animations in TFS are bad, S1’s are god awful. Even for a game that came out in 2011, they’re actually pretty bad and have aged terribly. They’re also still so many glitches (even game breaking ones) that are still in S1 and are much easier to run into then many of the other seasons (ANF was definitely the king of bugs though). S1’s look was timeless and they did a really good job, but you can obviously tell TFS’s graphics took more time. Some gameplay sections in S1 are also not that great, the first person shooting in particular feels poorly done compared to TFS’s bow segments.

Honestly, the graphics, new combat system, controllable third person camera, and animations auren't even that good. Like obviously I would c

• I more or less agree but choices being done better than S2 or ANF? Idk. Let's find out I guess by listing the choices that at least seemed to have an impact. Paraphrasing here.

Season 2
    1. Did you save Nick or Pete?
    2. Who did you eat with?
    3. Did you tell Walter the truth?
    4. Did you vouch for Nick?
    5. Did you look for Luke and Kenny?
    6. Watched Kenny kill Carver?
    7. Leave Sarah at the Trailer Park?
    8. Protect the baby?
    9. Go to help Luke?
    10. Shot Kenny?
    11. In the end, who were you with?

Season 3
    1. Did you kill the driver?
    2. Vouch for Clementine?
    3. Who did you leave with?
    4. Run away or keep fighting?
    5. Get involved in David and Kate's argument?
    6. Trust Jesus?
    7. Accept Conrad's plan?
    8. How did you deal with Badger?
    9. How did you deal with Max?
    10. Stay with David or leave Richmond?
    11. Take on David's responsibilities?
    12. Kill Lingard?
    13. Reciprocate Kate's feelings?
    14. Who did you save?
    15. Shoot Joan?
    16. Stand with David?
    17. What did you do about David's suspicions?
    18. Fight David?
    19. What did Clem do?
    20. Help save Richmond or go after Gabe and David?

The Final Season
    1. Who did you go with?
    2. Where did AJ sleep?
    3. Did you attack Abel (lenient)
    4. Who did you appeal to?
    5. Who did you spend time with?
    6. Who did you save?
    7. Did you let Abel turn?
    8. Did you agree with James' beliefs?
    9. Did Dorian cut off a finger?
    10. Did you allow AJ to kill Lilly?

Honestly, the graphics, new combat system, controllable third person camera, and animations auren't even that good. I disagree. For

Sign in to comment in this discussion.