Clementine in the comics [EP4 Spoilers]

edited March 2019 in The Walking Dead

Now that the Clementine’s story has officially come to an end in the Telltale series. A lot of people are content with the ending and I share the same opinion. Still though, I am among the group of people that think Robert Kirkman is eventually going to have Clem make an appearance in the comics. Whether it be for a small appearance or a simple cameo, I think it has a strong possibility of eventually happening. Gonna direct you to some comments made by Kent Mudle, who worked on the game.

Notice how he specifically relates it to the world of the comics? With the way TFS concluded, it certainly does leave it very open ended for the comics to elaborate on the ending. If we go with Kent’s refugee idea, then perhaps one of the comic characters could stumble upon Ericson, and we can see how it’s grown and expanded after TFS. I’d be fine with a short visit there and leaving it out of the main story, a simple short cameo/appearance or minimal kind of role.

Even though I think a comic cameo is ultimately unneeded and there’s nothing to really gain from it. There’s nothing to really lose from it either. From a business standpoint a lot of the game fans would tune into the comics more if there were hints of Clementine around, so it’s kind of a win-win in terms of drawing more people to read the comics. And a small hint/update on how Clem is going at Ericson would never hurt.

Further redirecting to some comments made by the Kirk team.

Regardless of everything else said, I raise my eyebrows specifically at the last sentence there.Which means it's not completely off the table. While I personally don’t think they’ve planned anything out yet, I think they’ve been waiting for the game to finish before making any plans/calls. So let’s discuss below, would you want to see a Clementine cameo/appearance in the comics? And to what extent?

Comments

• Simple answer, no.

• edited March 2019

Clementine will not make an appearance in the comic. Nor will the Delta or anything else you saw in season 4 of the game series. The only way she could have potentially made an appearance in the comic was if they ended the series with Clementine going to Oceanside (like they did with the surviving kids from the Michonne game).

The comics are going in a completely different direction now and they aren't going to go to some little community run by a bunch of teenagers...….one of whom doesn't have a foot.

Plus another reason it won't happen is that season 4 took place a year or two ahead of where the comic currently is timeline wise.

• edited March 2019

1) Can you explain to me how how the only way Clementine being able to make a comic appearance is to make her go to Oceanside? I don't really get that, why not just have one of the comic characters get swarmed by walkers/ lost then come across Ericson? Or better yet, have someone point it out on a map as an already existing location they've established trade with.

2) You can guess where the direction of the comics is gonna go but you can never really say where until it happens. It is a large scale thing between communities right now but who knows what future arcs years later down the line will be.

3) If theres anything I learned from reading the comics it's that Kirk likes to pull out timeskips whenever it's convenient. He can easily do another vague one whenever he wants. There's already timeline discrepancies so it's all up in the air now. Anyone can appear anywhere when the story calls for it.

sony12 posted: »

Clementine will not make an appearance in the comic. Nor will the Delta or anything else you saw in season 4 of the game series. The only wa

• The comic already has its teenage drama going on with Carl/Sophia/Lydia. They aren't going to add in any new pesky teens.

• edited March 2019

@Legendary12 The comic has been in the D.C. area for over a hundred issues now (they arrived in issue 69 and are now at issue 189). During that time he introduced four communities......Alexadria, Hilltop, Savior location, and Kingdom.....Oceanside has been mentioned and we saw the outskirts of it one issue but it hasn't taken any part in any of the storylines thus far.

Kirkman isn't going to introduce a new (rather meaningless) camp now. Especially when he has switched a large part of the focus of the comic onto an entirely different state. Season 4 was a very teeny bopperish story. And that is generally not the type of story Kirkman tells (unless of course it was kids living in one of his already established comic communities). He wouldn't even think about introducing a new location run by a bunch of 16 and 17 year olds.

Legendary12 posted: »

1) Can you explain to me how how the only way Clementine being able to make a comic appearance is to make her go to Oceanside? I don't reall

• As a huge fan of Clem who, while satisfied with her ending, would undoubtedly love to see her again, it's never going to happen in the comics. Everyone from the game to Skybound have been insistent that this is the end for Clementine, but more importantly, there's just to many factors that you would have to take in thanks to the various choices and events that have happened to her, it would be a huge burden for Kirkman to avoid all of that. Would I want to, of course, but I know that if they do, it'll either cancel out various play throughs and establish a "cannon" Clem, or they'd go to great lengths to avoid any of that stuff, and neither of those scenarios are worth it.

• edited March 2019

That's fair enough, I still think it'd be pretty weird to set up Clementine beginning to trade with other communities and expand her circles without it even getting a simple mention in the comics. It'd just be weird to me. Assuming Ericson is within the general vicinity of some of the communities and ends up become a refuge like Kent said.

Also in regards to establishing a canon, all you'd need to do is keep Louis, Tenn and Violet out of the picture. Gloves to cover up the hands, and you're set, scars can be brushed over. To clarify, i'm not saying they should make her a part of the story, but if a small one time appearance were to happen. If not that, then a simple mention with someone pointing out Ericson as a location on a map or something would be nice.

As a huge fan of Clem who, while satisfied with her ending, would undoubtedly love to see her again, it's never going to happen in the comic

• It'd be cool. The time line between comics and TFS are right around the same. Both stories take place after the Whisperer War. My idea of it would have a popular comic character like Jesus meet up with Clem again. She'd probably have a prosthetic leg by now; making travel for her possible again. Clem and Jesus would talk before he mentions the other communities. Clem tours Hilltop, Alexandria, and meets more characters like Carl, Dante, Maggie, and hopefully Rick and Negan. Clem would discuss the status of Ericson -letring us know what's been going on. She'd establish a supply line or trading route with Ericson before heading back home. What do you guys think of my idea?

• TFS was about two years ahead of where the comics are right now.

It'd be cool. The time line between comics and TFS are right around the same. Both stories take place after the Whisperer War. My idea of it

• Kirkman can ways do a time skip after the commonwealth arc

sony12 posted: »

TFS was about two years ahead of where the comics are right now.

• This is interesting. I hope it happens, as long as nobody from the school dies and Rick doesn’t drag her into a war.

• After reading this, I don’t know anymore...It sounds convincing but I wonder how that would play out since most of the characters Clementine interacted with are (Determinat).

• If it were to happen, I'd like to think Kirk would be very careful with how he handles it as to not confirm any specific canon.

After reading this, I don’t know anymore...It sounds convincing but I wonder how that would play out since most of the characters Clementine interacted with are (Determinat).

• Did you see my theory above? Instead of Rick going to Ericson, Clem goes to Alexandria, Hilltop, and kingdom. She meets the main comic characters(has a chat with Jesus about how things have been.) Afterwards, Rick adds Ericson to their supply line and trading routes. Clem thanks him for his help and returns to her people. It'd work if Clem had a prosthetic foot.

After reading this, I don’t know anymore...It sounds convincing but I wonder how that would play out since most of the characters Clementine interacted with are (Determinat).

• Honestly I would just like too see Clementine in Kirkmans comic style

• I was refusing if he heads Clementines friends like Louis or Violet that’s what I’m refusing to.

Did you see my theory above? Instead of Rick going to Ericson, Clem goes to Alexandria, Hilltop, and kingdom. She meets the main comic chara

• I think Charlie Adlard drew S1 Clementine and Lee just the other day and shared it. Idk where it is now but it’s out there

Erinour posted: »

Honestly I would just like too see Clementine in Kirkmans comic style

• edited April 2019

Personally what I'd like to see is a one-off comic for Walking Dead Day, very similar to the Free Comic Day one which worked like an anthology series of falshbacks. Buuuut change it to anthologies of flash-forwards to revisit characters that have fallen out of the main stories. Lily Caul in Woodbury after the novel series, Clem in Ericson, Negan roaming the countryside and if they really want to be daring; Kenny at sea.
    See our favorites done in the Adlard style, get some reassurance they're okay and maybe hint at some reunions or new meetings.

I guarantee everyone would absolutely eat it up.

• That's definitely an idea I can get behind. It provides insight into characters and explores the world a little without being forced to bring everything into the main comic story.

Joe_Momma posted: »

Personally what I'd like to see is a one-off comic for Walking Dead Day, very similar to the Free Comic Day one which worked like an antholo

Sign in to comment in this discussion.