Crap Fan Art Thread

Comments

• edited November 2009
    Thanks! Not my best though :/
  • edited November 2009
    It's funny how the context of the thread changes reactions. In the legendary fan art thread I would praise your art. In the disturbing thread I would say that it's not disturbing.

Since this is the crap fan art thread, I'm just going to say that if that's considered bad coming from you, you make me very very sad about myself.
  • edited November 2009
    It's funny how the context of the thread changes reactions. In the legendary fan art thread I would praise your art. In the disturbing thread I would say that it's not disturbing.

Since this is the crap fan art thread, I'm just going to say that if that's considered bad coming from you, you make me very very sad about myself.

Oh.. wh... thanks?! And awh... And thanks!

Well, I'm not used to draw humans (a great disadvantage of me that I always regret), so they always come a little chunky and/or not that loyal to the original when I try to do a fanart (though I was experimenting with another style here), so yeah I must say I'm not happy with the result. This rather gives me a courage to improve myself.
  • edited November 2009
    puzzlebox wrote: »
    You lose "crapness" points for getting the right number of legs! :p

I dunno, the bottom left leg sorta looks like two legs joined at the base.
  • edited November 2009
    That Morgan art has several Screaming Narwhal boat loads of potential... So it doesn't belong in the crap thread... I say you should finish it and put it in the regular art thread...
  • edited November 2009
    Irishmile wrote: »
    That Morgan art has several Screaming Narwhal boat loads of potential... So it doesn't belong in the crap thread... I say you should finish it and put it in the regular art thread...

I second this!
  • edited November 2009

Tried, failed, put on hold. I'm working on some more personal projects that I give slightly more importance, but I must say these posts make me re-think about it.
  • edited November 2009
    Looks to me like you are 75% there already..
  • edited November 2009
    Falanca wrote: »
    Tried, failed, put on hold. I'm working on some more personal projects that I give slightly more importance, but I must say these posts make me re-think about it.

It's awesome, what the hell is it doing in a crap thread for?
  • edited November 2009
    doodo! wrote: »
    It's awesome, what the hell is it doing in a crap thread for?

I'm being modest, and it's not finished.

God, thanks all, I feel happy.
  • edited November 2009
    Its a crap ton better than I was at your age.
  • edited November 2009
    Falanca is 18.
    I am not a stalker.
  • edited November 2009
    I'm being modest, and it's not finished.

God, thanks all, I feel happy.

Nah, it's good that you open up to us with your art work, unless you work under those certain conditions where you shelter your work (more intimate or something).

You should really continue to open up to us with your art work. It's very good. Your skills with the pen tool in ADobe are very good, if that's what I'm seeing?

Looks like it was done in Illustrator. Awesome job.

18, I think I also heard that he wants to be an animator, I'm not a stalker either...lol...
  • edited November 2009
    Nah, it's good that you open up to us with your art work, unless you work under those certain conditions where you shelter your work (more intimate or something).

You should really continue to open up to us with your art work. It's very good. Your skills with the pen tool in ADobe are very good, if that's what I'm seeing?

Looks like it was done in Illustrator. Awesome job.

18, I think I also heard that he wants to be an animator, I'm not a stalker either...lol...

All lines are actually done in Sai Paint Tool, using Pen tool (which is similar to the brush tool in Photoshop, unlike the Pen Tool you mentioned, but I'm familiar with it either) on tablet. Some lines look really smooth, I know, I didn't expect that either. I only used Photoshop for some pattern work and some gradients. I don't like how I colored it though, I'll start over.

Yeah it's 18, and I actually want to be more of a game designer and a 2d animator. Although I mainly study things like programming, visuals also interest me a lot.

By the way, I'm experiencing the largest ego burst since the day, when I was looking at a bottle on a table, then it fell down coincidentally, and I thought I used force on that bottle.
  • edited November 2009
    All lines are actually done in Sai Paint Tool, using Pen tool (which is similar to the brush tool in Photoshop, unlike the Pen Tool you mentioned, but I'm familiar with it either) on tablet. Some lines look really smooth, I know, I didn't expect that either. I only used Photoshop for some pattern work and some gradients. I don't like how I colored it though, I'll start over.

Yeah it's 18, and I actually want to be more of a game designer and a 2d animator. Although I mainly study things like programming, visuals also interest me a lot.

By the way, I'm experiencing the largest ego burst since the day, when I was looking at a bottle on a table, then it fell down coincidentally, and I thought I used force on that bottle.

Is Sai PAint Tool affordable? I actually lost my copies of Adobe software. :(
  • edited November 2009
    I think so. I... uh... used some ways, so I'm not really sure about its price. Though, I can, you know, do things if you want to... Well...

Sai is not really as good as Adobe software though. Its only good feature is that you can get better lines from it, if you're using a tablet.
  • edited November 2009
    I think so. I... uh... used some ways, so I'm not really sure about its price. Though, I can, you know, do things if you want to... Well...

Sai is not really as good as Adobe software though. Its only good feature is that you can get better lines from it, if you're using a tablet.

Haha, I really hope to see your finished Morgan, I love the direction you're taking it in.:D

Catch you later.
  • edited November 2009
    Personally I greatly favor the line quality in the OpenCanvas programs.
  • edited November 2009
    PecanBlue wrote: »
    Personally I greatly favor the line quality in the OpenCanvas programs.

Something else for me to try, I guess. :) Can't afford the other stuff.
  • edited November 2009
    Finally a place to put my stuff.

guybrushcopy.png

I used this image as a base.
    http://vip.telltalegames.com/files/monkeyisland/concepts060109/talesofmi_guybrush_concept.jpg
  • edited November 2009
    BaldPirate wrote: »
    Finally a place to put my stuff.

guybrushcopy.png

I used this image as a base.
    http://vip.telltalegames.com/files/monkeyisland/concepts060109/talesofmi_guybrush_concept.jpg

Not really finished, but it's not crap. Certainly it's not a finished painting but you shouldn't be putting yourself down, if anything it shows promise and potential and you should invest confidence into your work.
  • edited November 2009
    That is indeed wonderful. Just put the eyes and do some shading on the skin, and voila!
  • edited November 2009
    Something else for me to try, I guess. :) Can't afford the other stuff.

Well, the newer version is to be paid for. Though it's of course not as much as a lot of other professional paint programs because it lacks a lot of features, I personally often like to keep things simple in digital painting just like I often like to keep it simple in traditional art.

I own the newer version of OpenCanvas, though the free older version (which is I think version 2 or so) lacks in some departments like the kind of layers you can make, you can still use the pencil to get the good overall line quality. When I had the old version most of the time I would only use OpenCanvas to sketch and ink some stuff then just send it over to photoshop or corel for coloring, but for a free program, OpenCanvas 2 has some nice, simple coloring, especially involving the watercolor brush.

This quick concept art for example, is all done by the free version of OpenCanvas.

But like I said before, it's all up to personal style.
  • edited November 2009
    Haha, me sucks very much on eyes =/
    anyway, i just do this kinda of stuff between classes on my college to pass time, so it didn't matter to much
  • edited November 2009
    Oh, why, why am I posting this?

monkey-head.png

That is not the handwriting of a 22 year old!

Or at least it shouldn't be...
  • edited November 2009

I write better in script than printing, too. It's ... a sign of sophistication! Yeah, that's it!
  • edited November 2009
    heres some art of one of guybrush's beloved autograped sextants

autograph.jpg
  • edited November 2009
    Inspired by Irishmile's short comic :D

62261726.jpg
  • edited November 2009
    Oh, why, why am I posting this?

monkey-head.png

It's by far a great drawing but I definitely see some raw potential in this drawing. Do you do "real" art?
  • edited November 2009

Did you see my horrible hand writing in my little comic a few pages back? Its not what a 29 year old should write like.
  • edited November 2009
    :D:D:D:D:D

guylefthand.jpg

my left hand hurts!
  • edited November 2009
    That is a thing of beauty.
  • edited November 2009
    Funny that every »crappy« picture is so good. Spontaneous work will always win!
  • edited November 2009
    If only I had some art I drew of MI... I have NO drawing skillz (yes, with a 'z') whatsoever.
  • edited November 2009
    that is the point of this thread you do not need skill..... you do not even need photoshop just use MSpaint... for epic crap art.
  • edited November 2009
    Majus wrote: »
    Funny that every »crappy« picture is so good. Spontaneous work will always win!

I totally agree!
    I laughed so hard watching my left hand shaking and the pen going nowhere!
    Now I must draw something with my left foot!:D
  • edited November 2009
    I remember when MS Paint was awesome for making art.... when I was a kid I made tons of art just like this......

ooohhhyeah.jpg
  • edited November 2009
    I remember when MS Paint was awesome for making art.... when I was a kid I made tons of art just like this......

http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/3051/ooohhhyeah.jpg

Poor Guy...you gagged him! :D
  • edited November 2009
    It's by far a great drawing but I definitely see some raw potential in this drawing. Do you do "real" art?

Nope, I fail pretty hard at it. I mean, there was that time that I won that Scholastic art award and got to go to New York for the award ceremony at Carnegie Hall, but that was for ceramics and it was just a fluke anyway. True story.

No, I've never been able to draw whatsoever. What you see there is as good as it's going to get, and that's only because I tried to copy Guybrush's MI1 when I was failing at his hair and face.

Are you implying that Paint is anything less than fantastic? Everything in my deviantArt was done in Paint, except for two photographs. I probably wouldn't be as good as I am at spriting if I was even remotely competent with Photoshop.
  • edited November 2009
    Nope, I fail pretty hard at it. I mean, there was that time that I won that Scholastic art award and got to go to New York for the award ceremony at Carnegie Hall, but that was for ceramics and it was just a fluke anyway. True story.

No, I've never been able to draw whatsoever. What you see there is as good as it's going to get, and that's only because I tried to copy Guybrush's MI1 when I was failing at his hair and face.

Are you implying that Paint is anything less than fantastic? Everything in my deviantArt was done in Paint, except for two photographs. I probably wouldn't be as good as I am at spriting if I was even remotely competent with Photoshop.

Well I can't inspire you but that monkey head shows creative potential, character, a lively quality. Very unfurbished as an artist, call me crazy if you want but I think that if you started to want to draw that you'd make some fair cartoon drawings. Which is where a lot of people start drawing, cartoon, then realism. Of course not everybody does it that way.

If I was a better artist I could inspire people, but I'm not, I just have an eye for art and can things about many artists I come across just by seeing once submission.
    It would take you a while and some artistic nourishment, lol but I think that if you ever wanted to be some sort of artist throughout your life that you could achieve that goal.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.