When will the Earl Boen version of chapter 1 be up?

I was wondering when the version of Launch of the Screaming Narwhal with Earl as LeChuck would be available for download.

Comments

• edited January 2010
    My guess is never
  • edited January 2010
    From the December 9, 2009 edition of the Telltale Interloper:
    Earl Boen, the man who first gave a voice to the evil ghost/zombie/demon pirate in 1997 with Curse of Monkey Island™ has returned to play LeChuck in the final chapters of Tales of Monkey Island!

Plus, he's re-recorded lines for the prologue of "Launch of the Screaming Narwhal", which will be available on the Collector's DVD, and coming soon as an updated Chapter One download on our website!

So if the answer is "never," they got some splainin' to do. :)
  • edited January 2010
    Will the Earl Boen Chapter 1 also fix the bug in the icon--having 3D Guybrush instead of concept art Guybrush, when all the other chapters have concept art icons?

I think that's the real question here. I'm not in any hurry to get it really, but I'll be happy when it arrives.
  • edited January 2010
    the_more_you_know2.jpg
  • edited January 2010
    Yeah, I've been wondering about this as well. Would have made a nice Xmas or New Years present. :(
  • edited January 2010
    It's coming out in the DVD, I believe.
  • edited January 2010
    Tpravetz wrote: »
    It's coming out in the DVD, I believe.

Ah, that would make sense.
  • edited January 2010
    Ah, that would make sense.
    It would, but they did say that they're updating the downloadable game as well. So we'll get both, I'm sure. Probably the downloadable one before the DVD edition. I'm in no rush.

One thing I'd like to know is if Earl Boen's schedule was meant to clear up at the end of the season, and he was meant to do the voice for demon LeChuck all along. And, you know, if that at all affected the decision to get a differently-voiced form of LeChuck. It's just as likely, maybe even more likely, that it just happened to work out that way.
  • edited January 2010
    I know that we all love to have Earl Boen as LeChuck as he is the perfect fit for the character; but we should also give Adam Harrington a hand for also doing a terrific job! I really liked the way he voiced LeChuck and I think that he deserves a little more recognition and appreciation for how well he voiced one of the greatest video game villains of all time. Great job Adam!
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited January 2010
    The "soon" might have been a bit overeager on the newsletter's part, but it will be coming, and it will happen before the DVD. It's actually surprisingly hard to rerelease something (believe it or not), and dropping in an all new voice takes a bit of time too. So in short, we are just making sure the update gets done right.
  • edited January 2010
    I also assume that the update will fix the compression issues that were in that episode as well... the one that put all the "cracks" in the characters. ;)
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited January 2010
    Yeah, we will be fixing all bugs that we currently know about. Just because we like you.
  • edited January 2010
    D'aww, we like you guys too.
  • edited January 2010
    D'aww, we like you guys too.

Speak for yourself.
  • edited January 2010
    I like pie
  • edited January 2010
    Will wrote: »
    The "soon" might have been a bit overeager on the newsletter's part, but it will be coming, and it will happen before the DVD. It's actually surprisingly hard to rerelease something (believe it or not), and dropping in an all new voice takes a bit of time too. So in short, we are just making sure the update gets done right.

That's no fun. Forget *right*, just do it now... and then we can all moan later about how you should have waited and done it right.
  • edited January 2010
    Adam Harrington did indeed do a tremendous job as human LeChuck. Honestly, I'm very glad he did all he human LeChuck stuff. His demon LeChuck just wasn't quite as good though, and I was really excited to hear about Earl reprising his role. Having two actors actually worked really well.
  • edited January 2010
    Adam Harrington did indeed do a tremendous job as human LeChuck. Honestly, I'm very glad he did all he human LeChuck stuff. His demon LeChuck just wasn't quite as good though, and I was really excited to hear about Earl reprising his role. Having two actors actually worked really well.

Acrually, Kevin Blackton did human LeChuck (And was very good at it indeed).
  • edited January 2010
    will earl boen reprise his role 4 the lechuck toy in chap 4 XD
  • edited January 2010
    I'm guessing he was the one who did it originally. Remember, Earl Boen voiced demon LeChuck at the end of chapter 4, so odds are he also recorded his chapter 1 lines and the toy's line and maybe chapter 5's lines at the same time before going back to retirement.
  • edited January 2010
    Well I certainly don't mind waiting a while for the DVD if it means it gets polished up all shiny with fixes and stuff. I can wait a whole week. Two even. ;)
  • edited January 2010
    Just curious, when the Earl Boen version of chapter 1 is availiable who will be keeping the original chapter 1 aswell?
  • edited January 2010
    apenpaap wrote: »
    Acrually, Kevin Blackton did human LeChuck (And was very good at it indeed).

I think he's referring to Demon LeChuck at the beginning of Chapter 1. That wasn't the same voice actor for human LeChuck, if I'm not mistaken.
  • edited January 2010
    I think he's referring to Demon LeChuck at the beginning of Chapter 1. That wasn't the same voice actor for human LeChuck, if I'm not mistaken.

No, he seemed to be confused, thinking that demon LeChuck in chapter 1 and human LeChuck were voiced by the same person, and that wasn't the case. To clear up any confusion once and for all:

Adam Harrington was demon LeChuck in the original chapter 1.

Kevin Blackton was human LeChuck in chapters 1-4.

Earl Boen was demon LeChuck in chapters 4 and 5 and the new chapter 1.

Like I've said before, I feel that Adam Harrington did a tremendous job, given the role he had to fill, but from the first time I played Narwhal, LeChuck's voice just bothered me because I expect Earl Boen's voice to come out of LeChuck and that just wasn't it.
  • edited January 2010
    Well I suck. Didn't even notice there was a different voice for the zombie one between episodes.
  • nikasaurnikasaur Telltale Alumni
    edited January 2010
    prizna wrote: »
    Just curious, when the Earl Boen version of chapter 1 is availiable who will be keeping the original chapter 1 aswell?

Just to clarify, when the revised game comes out, it'll be the only one you can get. For all the super fans who gotta-catch-'em-all, you should keep the old install files hanging around, in a safe place. Maybe 2.
  • edited January 2010
    Good to know!

*renamesinstallfile*

I'm not stuck to Earl Boen's voice at all i have to say, but that's because i've played mi3 and 4 in german...

........and i just wikipediaed this earl boen guy and discovered it's Dr. Silberman from the terminator movies! WTF?? :eek:
  • edited January 2010
    Cyphox wrote: »
    Good to know!

*renamesinstallfile*

I'm not stuck to Earl Boen's voice at all i have to say, but that's because i've played mi3 and 4 in german...

........and i just wikipediaed this earl boen guy and discovered it's Dr. Silberman from the terminator movies! WTF?? :eek:

Yeah, and Earl is also the marriage counsellor in a breif seen in The Naked Gun 33 and a third!
  • edited January 2010

I had no idea. That is awesome. :D
  • edited January 2010
    I think the LeChuck doll should keep it's original voice as a tip of the hat to Adam Harrington!
  • edited January 2010
    Kay, does this mean Earl Boen had a different timing of his lines in chapter 1 than the previous voice actor?

Because if not, and he uses different inflections, that means a lot of re-animation needs to be figured out. It would be nice to simply drop in new voice work, but I know personally, that animation is tailored to the syllable, and lipsync has to be incredibly precise. A year's worth of lipsync animation has taught me that ;)

If in that case, You folks shouldn't fret over wait-times, because it takes time to do it right!
  • edited January 2010
    I think the LeChuck doll should keep it's original voice as a tip of the hat to Adam Harrington!

But Earl Boen did demon LeChuck's voice in chapter 4. Was the line recorded new for the doll or was it recycled from episode 1?
  • edited January 2010
    will earl boen reprise his role 4 the lechuck toy in chap 4 XD

That was earl Boen as the doll.
  • edited January 2010
    If the graphical issues are being looked at, does this mean that the graphical tears in The Bogey Man will be fixed?
  • edited January 2010
    nikasaur wrote: »
    Just to clarify, when the revised game comes out, it'll be the only one you can get. For all the super fans who gotta-catch-'em-all, you should keep the old install files hanging around, in a safe place. Maybe 2.
    About this:

Will keeping the old install file on my hard drive be enough for me to be able to re-install the game as it was originally? Activation will work and everything if I install from the old install file?
  • edited January 2010
    About this:

Will keeping the old install file on my hard drive be enough for me to be able to re-install the game as it was originally? Activation will work and everything if I install from the old install file?

i'm pretty sure the activation will still work..... and if not, there are cracked versions of "original" ep1 all over the net.... please don't convict me, i bought the game....twice...

btw. is there any clearance if there will be only the boen version or BOTH versions on the dvd? any infos?
  • edited January 2010
    Icedhope wrote: »
    That was earl Boen as the doll.

I stand corrected. It's not a recycled line from chapter one like I thought it was, but in all fairness, it's pretty difficult to tell the difference. I don't think anyone noticed that Earl Boen had returned until LeChuck changed back at the end of chapter four.
  • edited January 2010
    I stand corrected. It's not a recycled line from chapter one like I thought it was, but in all fairness, it's pretty difficult to tell the difference. I don't think anyone noticed that Earl Boen had returned until LeChuck changed back at the end of chapter four.

That's what you get when you use speakers made with cheap Phatt Island labor in your LeChuck dolls.
  • edited January 2010
    btw. is there any clearance if there will be only the boen version or BOTH versions on the dvd? any infos?

... You're actually answering to someone who...

Erm, there will only be the Earl Boen, not the other one. Which is why nikasaur said we should hold tight to the install file if we want to keep the original episode one voice. Which is one someone asked if just keeping the install file would work.
    Which is the post you answered to.

EDIT:

I didn't even then. Of course, that's due to having never heard Boen's Lechuck before, as Tales was my first time playing a MI in English rather than French.
  • edited January 2010
    Kay, does this mean Earl Boen had a different timing of his lines in chapter 1 than the previous voice actor?

Because if not, and he uses different inflections, that means a lot of re-animation needs to be figured out. It would be nice to simply drop in new voice work, but I know personally, that animation is tailored to the syllable, and lipsync has to be incredibly precise. A year's worth of lipsync animation has taught me that ;)

As far as I recall, TTG specially made an extra engine for lipsync/facial expressions depending dynamically on the actual dialogue sounds and transcriptions in Langdb file, and not actually fixed... correct me if I am wrong.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.