When will the Earl Boen version of chapter 1 be up?

13»

Comments

• edited July 2010
    Oh, so Earl Boen redid the episode before the Mac versions were even ready?
  • edited July 2010
    xbskid wrote: »
    Oh, so Earl Boen redid the episode before the Mac versions were even ready?

Yes, the Earl Boen version first appeared in the Mac Release, since then, it's been included on the PC version DVD and the PlayStation 3 version of the game, just not put up on the website for PC yet.
  • Macfly77Macfly77 Moderator
    edited July 2010
    Indeed he did.

One of the posts on the first page of this very thread quotes the December 9, 2009 edition of the Telltale Interloper so:

"Earl Boen, the man who first gave a voice to the evil ghost/zombie/demon pirate in 1997 with Curse of Monkey Island™ has returned to play LeChuck in the final chapters of Tales of Monkey Island!

Plus, he's re-recorded lines for the prologue of "Launch of the Screaming Narwhal", which will be available on the Collector's DVD, and coming soon as an updated Chapter One download on our website!"

Which means he recorded the lines before December 9, 2009 and therefore more than 2 months before the Mac version of TOMI was released on February 11, 2010.
  • edited July 2010
    *bump*

I'm still waiting for this episode and don't get, why it's still not released. :(
  • edited July 2010
    I think there's two main reasons it hasn't been posted. First, there's the strain they're under with finishing The Devil's Playhouse along with working on the Universal games. When you combine that with this sort of thing...
    Jake wrote: »
    It's not technically hard. The question is: Is there time to run new builds of all five episodes through Quqlity Assurance on Mac and PC for the grain? That's ten products going through QA. Will it be able to be wrapped in with other bug fixes, or would it be a separate thing? Would we back-port it to downloadable versions? Even though the switch itself isn't complicated, would we get programmer time okayed? It's not actually that complicated, but it's not just someone sitting down for 3 minutes to plug in a checkbox.
    Jake wrote: »
    Anytime we re-package the game's data for a new release we have to QA it. That's how it works :)

This is especially true with episodic stuff, since on our side many things are shared between episodes (animations, textures, game scripts, engine code). So we have to make sure that an update somewhere else didn't break something in the old content. That's the main reason. QAing the "film grain switch" would be a few minutes I imagine. It's running through the game in and out in many configurations to make sure that, for instance, suddenly hints haven't stopped working, or Sam's walk animation is wrong, or whatever.

Now, I know he's talking about the film grain effect, which applies to all five episodes of The Devil's Playhouse, while we're talking about one episode here, but I think it still applies. I wouldn't be surprised if the downloadable PC version had to be run through QA before release, and right now they probably don't have the resources.

Either that or they're just so busy right now that it's fallen through the cracks.
  • edited July 2010
    With the time 101 has been out, I don't see why they can even release it as is as the disc version.

Sure, it *would* make it free as 104 of S&M, but still, it's pretty old by now, probably wont be the hot seller. And one still has to pay for the other eps.

If it takes too much time and effort to go through QA and online activation that is of course... and not some other unknown reason.
  • edited July 2010
    I'm guessing it'd still have to run through QA. It would require a totally different installer from the disc version, since the disc uses one installer for all five episodes. I could be wrong though.
  • edited July 2010
    I'm guessing it'd still have to run through QA. It would require a totally different installer from the disc version, since the disc uses one installer for all five episodes. I could be wrong though.

The disc version has no DRM either, whereas the downloadable versions use online activation. If all they had to do was cut and paste the disc version onto the website they would have done so.
  • edited December 2010
    Taking the piss this a bit now don't you think?
  • edited December 2010
    If you care this much, get the DVD! You already have the full game, so IT'S FREE!!!!

No more "It's all the way on the other side of the room, downloading it is faster... :/" bollocks.
  • edited December 2010
    It's the principle of the thing. Telltale have yet to make good on their promise to upload it to the website. Should we just say "OK, they'll never do what they said they would, good for them"?
  • edited December 2010
    Yes. Go outside and worry about something important.
  • edited December 2010
    Teeth wrote: »
    Yes. Go outside and worry about something important.
    I for one don't like being told by a game company that they're going to provide a certain piece of content when they actually won't. Promises made in bad faith lead to unhappy customers.
  • edited December 2010
    Teeth wrote: »
    If you care this much, get the DVD! You already have the full game, so IT'S FREE!!!!

No more "It's all the way on the other side of the room, downloading it is faster... :/" bollocks.

I have the DVD, in it's DRM free format with it's EB episode 1 but the whole point is I have a Telltale account with the ability to download these games should I need to. You can preach your " oh get over it there's more uimportant things to worry about", which indeed there are, but they told their customers this would be sorted in a few weeks. It's been 9 month since the DVD was released.
    Just put up the DRM free already completed version on the net and be done with it.

They've had the time to make an Ipad version of episode 1 as well so don't give me they are to busy either. How about catering to you're existing customers first?
  • edited January 2011
    I guess it's safe to assume that the Earl Boen version is not really going to be available for download? Obviously, it's not that big of a deal, but I've got to agree with those who are disappointed. I mean, they promised it was going to be updated more than a year ago, and they did have the time to release that same episode in a complete different platform (and are appearently working in the other four).

Not a big deal (it's not like LeChuck has thousands of lines in this episode), but definitely disappointing. I think Telltale should at least state they eventually changed their plans.
  • edited January 2011
    Truido wrote: »
    I guess it's safe to assume that the Earl Boen version is not really going to be available for download? Obviously, it's not that big of a deal, but I've got to agree with those who are disappointed. I mean, they promised it was going to be updated more than a year ago, and they did have the time to release that same episode in a complete different platform (and are appearently working in the other four).

Not a big deal (it's not like LeChuck has thousands of lines in this episode), but definitely disappointing. I think Telltale should at least state they eventually changed their plans.

They don't care, if it doesn't mean more sales, they couldn't care less about it. Happy customers mean nothing to them.
  • edited January 2011
    Well, if they didn't care they wouldn't have redubbed the episode in the first place. But I just don't get it: they made an official statement saying they were going to update the episode, if they changed their plans they should at least say so.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.