Who else wants SOMI:SE updated?

edited September 2010 in Tales of Monkey Island
Who else thinks that somi:se should be updated to fix and add a few things, like fixing Guybrush's hair, adding voice in classic graphics, adding commentary and stuff like that?

Comments

• edited March 2010
    I would think that to add commentary would be a bit too much, but I would like it if they fixed a few things. At some places the backgrounds don't even look finished.
  • edited March 2010
    StonkBad wrote: »
    I would think that to add commentary would be a bit too much, but I would like it if they fixed a few things. At some places the backgrounds don't even look finished.

yea, Its pretty noticeable in Mêlée Forest
  • edited March 2010
    I don't bloody care about the hair. That said, I would only like the ability to have speech in classic mode. Everything else is fine....well, maybe except for the unfinished graphics in some areas. I don't think it's worth the time to go back and fix EVERYTHING, though.

Commentary would also be neat.
  • edited March 2010
    I don't bloody care about the hair. That said, I would only like the ability to have speech in classic mode. Everything else is fine....well, maybe except for the unfinished graphics in some areas. I don't think it's worth the time to go back and fix EVERYTHING, though.

Commentary would also be neat.

I dont care about the hair either, I never had a problem with it the only reason I wrote that is there are so many people that do have a problem with it, and just thought Id write that so I didnt get a bunch of people saying "what about the hair"
  • edited March 2010
    I would only like the ability to have speech in classic mode.

I may be the only one that wants the opposite - ability to turn the speech OFF in "modern" mode. I can get past the (many but not all) bad character designs, but I can only take the horrible horrible voice direction (and a couple of the voices) for about 10 minutes at a time.

I don't think there's any chance they'll fix that, though.
  • edited March 2010
    It would cost them money to do this - doubly so because they would have to do it for each platform.

We paid $10 for this game.

It's been out for about a year.

It's not very likely and it's not reasonable to expect it to happen.
  • edited March 2010
    PariahKing wrote: »
    We paid $10 for this game.
    Some of us paid $5 during a Steam/Direct2Drive sale.
  • edited March 2010
    I wouldn't be surprised if some of the LeChuck's Revenge features were to be included in the PSN and Mac releases of Monkey 1 - namely, the ability to play the original version with voice acting on and, perhaps, direct control.
  • edited March 2010
    I hope a patch happens.
  • edited March 2010
    Ripcord wrote: »
    I may be the only one that wants the opposite - ability to turn the speech OFF in "modern" mode. I can get past the (many but not all) bad character designs, but I can only take the horrible horrible voice direction (and a couple of the voices) for about 10 minutes at a time.

I don't think there's any chance they'll fix that, though.

You can do this, just open the options menu and select Audio Options and turn the voice volume right down.
  • edited March 2010
    Funny. Before you posted this, I thought about that. I just re-downloaded the game, tried it, and was coming back to post. I guess that's why I'm the only one that wanted this!!
  • edited March 2010
    yea, lol

hey your from sydney aswell
  • edited March 2010
    I want SMI:SE:SE:SE:SE:SE:SE:SE...(30 years later):SE:SE!!
  • edited March 2010
    I think new soundtrack (voices and music) with old graphics is a must now that MI2:SE is getting it. At least you can use the SE soundtrack in scummvm with the original game if you wanted.
  • edited March 2010
    I would like to see a patch to allow the option of voices in 8-Bit mode, and 8-bit music in HD mode. That could be done relatively easily, and cheaply. I think that's pretty reasonable.
  • edited March 2010
    It is not something I can't live without, maybe voices in the old SMI would be nice, but it is nothing I really care for.
  • edited March 2010
    They can leave Guybrush's hair alone (I for one liked it). I just want the graphical mistakes fixed!

Although voices in classic mode and commentary would be most welcome!
  • edited March 2010
    I'd really like voices in the classic mode.
    Also it would be nice if the fixed the screen size of the classic mode so it's not stretched fullscreen.
  • edited March 2010
    Even less of a reason to update the game then.

Someone else will probably mod it later, if you're real desperate.
  • edited March 2010
    Someone has been modding it, over at the Mojo forums, a member there has released a pack that fixes quite a few graphical glitches, also links to a Smiley face in the Scumm Bar sign and the fixed Stan's Shipyard sign.
  • edited March 2010
    too be honest once Lechucks revenge comes out, they might bring out a Special edition DVD with both games on it, and maybe alter the first one Monkey Island game and fix anything on the game thats needed before releasing the DVD
  • edited March 2010
    What was wrong with the shipyard sign?
  • edited March 2010

SCUMMsmile.jpg

1. Original
    2. SOMI:SE
    3. The fix
  • edited March 2010

Some of us just paid $2.49...

Though I had already bought the XBLA version at full price...
  • edited March 2010
    bobdole wrote: »
    SCUMMsmile.jpg

1. Original
    2. SOMI:SE
    3. The fix

You don't read, do you? You're a skimmer.
  • edited March 2010
    Ash735 wrote: »
    Someone has been modding it, over at the Mojo forums, a member there has released a pack that fixes quite a few graphical glitches, also links to a Smiley face in the Scumm Bar sign and the fixed Stan's Shipyard sign.

Who? Where?? Link me plz.
  • edited March 2010

The letters on it were just some generic font unlike the classic that had a custom design and looked more authentic. They just looked very lazy, basically.
  • edited March 2010
    Ah yes.
  • edited March 2010
    Chyron8472 wrote: »

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=200418

Check out the posts by LordTrilobite, he's posted some screenshots of what he's improved to, beware though, seeing the improvements he's made (especially with the loose board at the Scumm Bar) makes you realise how much of a rush job some areas of the SE were!
  • edited March 2010
    Chyron8472 wrote: »
    http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=200418

Check out the posts by LordTrilobite, he's posted some screenshots of what he's improved to, beware though, seeing the improvements he's made (especially with the loose board at the Scumm Bar) makes you realise how much of a rush job some areas of the SE were!

YAY! I love it.

I love it. HaHA!

19855782.png
    How wonderful to see that smile again. =)

He did fix a number of problems with the forest so far, though is not finished.

Oh, but the best part is...

CLASSIC:
    35503929.png

SE (OFFICIAL):

98856557.png

SE (FIXED!!!!):

69557143.png

omg, I'm so happy, I could eat babies.
    nikasaur wrote: »
    Do other threads have Telltale Eats Babies as a topic? Most importantly, how did they find out?

EDIT: If you all want to know how to do this, it's really easy and all it takes is putting a few modded files into certain folders in your SMI:SE folder

EDIT AGAIN:
    MojoForums
    Still astounded by the fact that the fans have to do this.

It's retarded how woefully inept LucasArts seems when they don't complete their work. I mean, I really do like having SMI:SE, but still, they should have finished the job.
  • JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited September 2010
    Apparently, the iPad release of The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition has voices in classic mode.

Hopefully the other versions will be getting a patch soon. :)
  • edited September 2010
    Am I the only one who doesn't see a change in font or lack of smiley as a "graphical glitch" that needed fixing?

Honestly, what next? The Grog machine?

For all we know, maybe it was an intentional choice.
  • edited September 2010
    I always found Stan's sign in SE mode a bit disappointing, glad I'm not alone.
  • edited September 2010
    Polychrome wrote: »
    Am I the only one who doesn't see a change in font or lack of smiley as a "graphical glitch" that needed fixing?

Honestly, what next? The Grog machine?

For all we know, maybe it was an intentional choice.

Surely it wasn't intentional.

Have you seen the graphical problems with Melee Forest? It's much more likely that they just didn't finish the job.
  • edited September 2010
    Well, seeing as we're talking about an update, I hope that if they release one they'll change the control scheme as well. I think for the iPad release it of MI:SE they used the new controls from MI2:SE instead of the iPhone's original controls.
  • edited February 2014

I guess I'm a bit late to this discussion but I'll nonetheless share these two amazing sprite improvements which I found on deviant art; http://jinndev.deviantart.com/art/LeChuck-SE-edit-252897306. I guess I'm not the only one who felt that LeChuck and Elaine looked really weird in the Special Edition. (there is sadly no more than this and the guy who made them says that he has no intentions to make them into actual sprites for a MISE patch. Which is too bad because they would have been great together with the Guybrush Hairpatch; http://www.telltalegames.com/community/discussion/26941/guybrush-hair-patch/p1)

Alt text
    Alt text

Sign in to comment in this discussion.