DVD Available for Pre-Order!

Comments

• edited March 2010
    When I pre ordered I assumed that at the end of the season I would receive the dvd seeing as that what I paid for. Looking at the invoice there is in fact a billing + shipping address. I don't recall seeing any mention of shipping not included but that might be because I was so happy there was a new mi that I didn't bother to read every fine detail. Yet there is a shipping price and it's pretty high. I rather have a slower shipping arrangement if it means cheaper. Also I pre ordered knowing that deals will come for the mi season to be cheaper (which there were) I thought at least I'll get the "exclusive" slip case. But now anyone can get that for bit more. I admit it's good for those who missed the chance to pre ordered for whatever reason, its just that I can't help but to feel some what ripped off.
    So I don't know if I should spend so much for the postage, or spend up to $50 for free posting when I should be saving.
  • edited March 2010
    Well, depending on how hard you looked, any time I saw it mentioned it was always "Free plus the cost of shipping!" meaning you're always going to pay for the shipping, but the actual DVD itself is Free, as for the Shipping Costs, I Import all the time, and I'm used to paying around $16-25 for shipping.
  • nikasaurnikasaur Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2010
    Eddie wrote: »
    yes that is what they claim and most of you believe it without any doubt and defend them at any cost. That is classic white knighting.

I fail to see how complaining customers would benefit us as a company in any way. Your displeasure over shipping cost is worth more to us than the extra 3 bucks we'd be getting by jacking up prices.

However, I am part of the CORPORATE MACHINE so heed me not.
    edited March 2010
    It's... weird. I just rechecked and I do get the complete list with every piece of content listed seperately...

But still, since the deluxe edition shows up I wouldn't worry - they won't send you an empty crate, I guess.

Due to a bug, we found out that bundled items were bugging out shipping calculators. For the time being, we've split up all bundles into each bit, and we should be giving this more time this week so it operates how it's supposed to. You'll get the same products, the item list is just a duct-tape job over the weekend until we can figure out where the problem was.

Standard DVD shipping remains unaffected, but that is also on our list of things to look at.
  • [TTG] Yare[TTG] Yare Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2010
    It's cool, guys. As soon as I finish this quantum-duplication-and-teleportation machine I'm working on, everything will be sorted.
  • edited March 2010
    I've always known from day one since I preordered that I wouldn't be automatically sent the DVD when it came out. And I knew that I would have to pay shipping for it and the special cover.
  • edited March 2010
    I do not think that conspiracy theory has many supporters
    edited March 2010
    Tales of Monkey Island is our most popular series to date, and with more people interested in Telltale than ever, the chances of miscommunication abound. Telltale does things pretty differently, and there is no unanimous way to express these strange and juju-powered operations to others without confusing some folk. We do our best to clarify along the way, and now, and through all the confusion we still believe this is the easiest way to operate episodically.

Also these thread tags are the best ever:
    "Tags
    free dvd is a privilege!, free dvd is a right!, its my game n iwannit now, telltale eats babies, ungrateful sods, white knights"

Do other threads have Telltale Eats Babies as a topic? Most importantly, how did they find out?
  • edited March 2010
    I was under the impression that a Dingo ate my baby... shame on you TTG!
  • edited March 2010
    nikasaur wrote: »
    Do other threads have Telltale Eats Babies as a topic? Most importantly, how did they find out?

Several threads are tagged with it, yes.
  • edited March 2010
    I'd be more concerned about where the babies are coming from.
  • edited March 2010
    PariahKing wrote: »
    I'd be more concerned about where the babies are coming from.

I can explain that to you, if you want. See, when a man and a woman love each other very much...
  • edited March 2010
    Avistew wrote: »
    I can explain that to you, if you want. See, when a man and a woman love each other very much...

Haha. I didn't see that coming (sarcasm).
  • edited March 2010
    They kidnap and devour a baby?
  • [TTG] Yare[TTG] Yare Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2010
    Wait, I came late to this party. So people think we're ripping them off on shipping charges?

When I sent off the MI photoshop contest prizes it cost me $15 each out of pocket to ship them internationally. And those were just envelopes! If there's some sort of magic way to ship things to other countries for less than that, somebody please let me know if you find it.
  • edited March 2010
    Let it never be said that you guys don't go the extra mile for us.
  • edited March 2010
    [TTG] Yare wrote: »
    Wait, I came late to this party. So people think we're ripping them off on shipping charges?

When I sent off the MI photoshop contest prizes it cost me $15 each out of pocket to ship them internationally. And those were just envelopes! If there's some sort of magic way to ship things to other countries for less than that, somebody please let me know if you find it.

Great, now the winners are going to feel bad. :p

And yes, people are complaining that you're ripping them off. It goes from "I should have some purchases I made last year count towards the $50 minimum" to "You're pretending it's expensive so you can force us to buy more" (with complete disregard to the fact that if the shipping is free for us, it's not for you, so customers buying over $50 means you lose some money over the shipping), with many things in between.
  • edited March 2010
    It's cool, guys. As soon as I finish this quantum-duplication-and-teleportation machine I'm working on, everything will be sorted.

With just a little more effort it could also be a time machine, and you'd have it done yesterday.
  • edited March 2010
    Tales of Monkey Island is our most popular series to date

I hope that also means that it was very lucrative, and that everyone at TT got raises =)

...Because I get the impression that no one there has been allowed to go home and sleep since 2006.
  • edited March 2010

I don't think any of the types of people that you would have sent those prizes to are complaining =)

Or if they did, it wasn't a "Telltale is ripping us off" post, or was quickly retracted.

Especially if TT are not actually paying/profiting from the shipping.

Even still, it DOES seem high. It may be down to the shipping method/company and the fact that distributor is going to take some profits. But I mail DVDs from Australia to the US about once a month, and I've NEVER paid more than $10AU (about $7US in dollar value - different than exchange rate). And I'm not getting any sort of bulk rate.

So that makes the $18 people were quoting for shipment to Europe seem very high. But USPS is quoting me $13 for a similar shipping price, and Telltale's price is down to $15 now. So it doesn't seem THAT high at the moment, considering it comes from the US.

But the fact remains that shipping ends up as 40% the price of the actual game. A European product distributor probably would help...
  • edited March 2010

I'm not sure about the teleporter aspect, but I know how you can make a cheap transmogrifier-duplicator-time machine-cerebral enhance-o-tron.

Transmogrifier_zap.png Scientific_Progress_Goes_Boink.gif Time_machine.png
  • edited March 2010
    I fail to see how complaining customers would benefit us as a company in any way.

That just makes me sad. Complaining customers usually means something is wrong. If you see no benefit in checking the complaints to avoid future problems and improve your product / company... that's just sad.
  • edited March 2010
    That just makes me sad. Complaining customers usually means something is wrong. If you see no benefit in checking the complaints to avoid future problems and improve your product / company... that's just sad.

Eh, read that again. He says that having unhappy customers is not good for them as a business, not that they don't want to hear from them or use the feedback received.
  • edited March 2010

You missed her point.
    She's saying "we don't want our customers to be sad/upset/frustrated and complain, so no, of course it's not in our advantage to charge more for shipping than necessary".
    Telltale listens to complaints more than any other company I know. But they're also excellent in doing what's best for the customers beforehand.
  • edited March 2010
    Huh. Now the tags are starting to get really interesting. "ttg knocked me up"? wtf?
  • edited March 2010
    Huh. Now the tags are starting to get really interesting. "ttg knocked me up"? wtf?

I wonder if they meant "got me pregnant", "woke me up by knocking" or "wore me out"...
  • edited March 2010
    Well, I guess now we know where the babies for eating come from.
  • edited March 2010
    I would be rather shocked if I woke up one day with pregnant Telltale's baby.

...Is Telltale a man or a woman?
  • edited March 2010
    Well, I'd guess man if it did the knocking up.

...Sheesh, "thread of tears" is right...
  • edited March 2010
    I wonder how good Telltale is about paying for child support. This baby needs a daddy.
  • edited March 2010
    I'm going to say what I said in the chest thread:

That got weird fast.
  • edited March 2010
    I wouldn't exactly call 18 pages fast.
  • edited March 2010
    I meant from the time it started getting weird. Six posts is pretty fast.
  • edited March 2010
    Giant Tope wrote: »
    I wonder how good Telltale is about paying for child support. This baby needs a daddy.
    Why? They just get eaten anyway.
  • edited March 2010
    This is reminding me of a great quote from The Order of the Stick:
    "I don't care how many people I have to kill: I can always make more in my tummy!"
  • edited March 2010
    Well, Jonathan Swift did have a great idea of what to do with excess babies, using his method we could easily make enough money to cover shipping charges...
  • edited March 2010
    Jen Kollic wrote: »
    Well, Jonathan Swift did have a great idea of what to do with excess babies, using his method we could easily make enough money to cover shipping charges...

I don't think it's viable. It takes 9 months for just one, sometimes 2, plus people tend to get attached and that gets nasty.
    I don't think the shipping savings would even cover the money spend during the 9 months anyways.

Bad idea, I'd say.
  • edited March 2010
    I don't think it's viable. It takes 9 months for just one, sometimes 2

Well, that depends on how many of us have already gotten knocked up by Telltale. And given that they must be bending the laws of biology already if they're doing this via the internet, I wonder if it applies to guys as well as girls...
  • edited March 2010
    That conversation is drifting so far from reality I can't even see it from where I'm standing.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.