DVD Available for Pre-Order!

Comments

• edited March 2010
    Avistew wrote: »
    Yeah, they're great, and shipping isn't something they control. It's not like the money ends up in their pocket, they'd much rather have it be cheaper since they'd sell more and would make us happier, and they're really good about trying to please us.

A 50 dollars minimum makes sense as they would end up spending more on shipping than they'd earn in sales if there wasn't a minimum. And they announced enough new things that you can get S&M3+deluxe edition and get free shipping, or deluxe edition + a couple of new things (even if you have all the other, older stuff) and get free shipping.

I don't think it's fair to be upset with them. Be upset with the distributor. Be upset with the post office. But telltale are doing all they can on their end.

All I want (and have been waiting for many months) is just the DVD and the slip cover that I have paid for way back last year in June. I was never told then that I had to pay the shipping for these. In fact I thought I don't even to have to order anything at all and they will just send me the items when they're ready. Imagine my surprise when I got the e-mail today.

I'm not going to complain or suddenly bashing Telltale or anything like that. I'm just disappointed and felt that I was being (unintentionally, I'm sure) misled about what the pre-order package that I ordered was.
  • edited March 2010
    Kruzzz wrote: »
    I was never told then that I had to pay the shipping for these.
    Really? I don't remember seeing a single announcement from Telltale that said the DVD would be shipped for free. Every single one said the DVD was free plus the cost of shipping.

If you can find where you saw that, please show me; I'd like to be proven wrong.
  • edited March 2010
    All I want (and have been waiting for many months) is just the DVD and the slip cover that I have paid for way back last year in June. I was never told then that I had to pay the shipping for these. In fact I thought I don't even to have to order anything at all and they will just send me the items when they're ready. Imagine my surprise when I got the e-mail today.
    I'm pretty sure that "plus the cost of shipping!" or "For just the cost of shipping!" was included in all promotional materials that mentioned the DVD.
  • nikasaurnikasaur Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2010
    Hi guys,

For people new to Telltale, it can be a pretty confusing process on how we do DVDs, episodic and such. Rest assured we try to be as clear as possible about the DVD being ready after the season is done, how you have to order it, etc, but sometimes that information doesn't penetrate to every fan. Bear with us, though, for this is the easiest way we can find to get the discs out there and on your shelves!
  • edited March 2010
    Wapcaplet wrote: »
    Really? I don't remember seeing a single announcement from Telltale that said the DVD would be shipped for free. Every single one said the DVD was free plus the cost of shipping.

If you can find where you saw that, please show me; I'd like to be proven wrong.

Read my post again, I never claimed that I was promised the DVD for free. In fact it's exactly the other way around, I'd like to be proven wrong that it was mentioned anywhere to me that I will have to pay for shipping for the DVD and the slip cover.

Here's the e-mail I got after I pre-ordered:

The stuff in your order includes:
    • Tales of Monkey Island
    Your Serial Number for Tales of Monkey Island:
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

$34.95 has been collected from the payment method you selected. You can review your purchase history at any time by logging in to your My Telltale page. (To get to this page later, go to Telltale's website, click on "Settings" (the gear icon), and then "Past Purchases".)

Avast, ye scurvy sea-dogs and welcome to the motley crew of the good ship Pre-Order. I'll wager you've got booty on your mangy minds and we here at Telltale don't aim to disappoint you on that score. So lend me your pox-ridden ears and I'll tell you a tale of king's ransom in ill-begotten goods and services that be setting sail in your direction even as we speak!

1.) A Secret Forum! (Pirates Only): Trade bawdy tales of game-development mayhem with Telltale's nefarious crew! Abandon all hope, ye who ENTER HERE.

2.) A Free Game (Choose your Poison): Why ye would be wantin' to play a game without pirates, I surely cannot fathom, aside from the fact that it won't cost you a doubloon. Use the coupon code to get a free episode of your choice from the Telltale store:

Your Code:
    XXXXXXXXXXXXX

3.) A Limited-Edition Slipcase (Where ye can dock yon DVD): Monkey Island's original cover artist, "Salty Steve" Purcell is toiling away in the the brig on this one, so you'll have to wait until the end of the season before claiming your prize!
  • edited March 2010
    Read my post again, I never claimed that I was promised the DVD for free. In fact it's exactly the other way around, I'd like to be proven wrong that it was mentioned anywhere to me that I will have to pay for shipping for the DVD and the slip cover.
    For one thing, here.
  • edited March 2010
    I will read this thread properly tomorrow when I am less drunk, but I am reaally quite pissed off about the price of postage. i couldn;t give a shit that if i spend $50 I can get free shipping. For those of us who paid for the preorder I don;t see why the fuck we should have to pay again for something that we pretty much already own. What a waste of money, the telltalegames games were rushed, buggy and generally not that brilliant anyway. What a piece of crap
  • edited March 2010
    For one thing, here.

Thanks. Well I'm the fool then for not reading the tiny footnotes carefully.

*Season customers who order after July 7 will still be eligible for the DVD, but only pre-order customers will receive the limited edition cover. Shipping will be charged when you come back to order the Collector's DVD.

Wait a minute.... does it actually say there that the slip cover is exclusive to people who pre-ordered?
    edited March 2010
    I'm sorry you feel that way and I assure you we are distraught by it as well, even working late to try some extra bug fixes and see if there's an error in our system that results in higher shipping prices. Though there's clearly been no visible indication of our efforts thus far, it has been a problem we have been chipping away at over the months. Note that the disc isn't going out of stock anytime soon, if you'd like to wait until we find a more palatable solution to this problem. Until then, free shipping for buying Merch really isn't a bad deal- the voodoo cards alone are an amazing find and the deluxe DVD pack is something I'll get for myself when they come in stock.
  • edited March 2010
    nikasaur wrote: »
    Hi guys,

For people new to Telltale, it can be a pretty confusing process on how we do DVDs, episodic and such. Rest assured we try to be as clear as possible about the DVD being ready after the season is done, how you have to order it, etc, but sometimes that information doesn't penetrate to every fan. Bear with us, though, for this is the easiest way we can find to get the discs out there and on your shelves!

Either that's a nice ninja way of saying something completely different, or it was some unfortunate implication.
  • edited March 2010
    Ergh. When I started this thread, I was so excited. Now it just gives me a headache.
    edited March 2010
    Hahaha, it means there's pieces of information that can be easily skipped over no matter how many times they're displayed, it happens to all of us. Maybe it was clarified in a blog post but not in the product description, but this particular fan didn't see the blog post and was in the dark. That's why we're here, in support, etc. There are certain things that you can message every which way that still might not reach the people they need to reach. It's not an implication, that would be hypocritical because I am a victim of that stuff all the time.
  • edited March 2010
    To be fair, though, you guys made a superb effort at it. I've had "plus the cost of shipping" drilled into my head from every direction for the past eight months, and the example above is absolutely the most subtle of all the times I've seen it.
  • edited March 2010
    Well, with an unfortunate implication I don't mean an actual implication, more like, you mean something but others might read it in a different way.
    edited March 2010
    To be fair, though, you guys made a superb effort at it. I've had "plus the cost of shipping" drilled into my head from every direction for the past eight months, and the example above is absolutely the most subtle of all the times I've seen it.

But sometimes we mess up! It may seem like a pretty nasty surprise to those people and for that we apologize, but rest assured it was never meant as any sort of trickery- we like to cover our bases and keep people informed. It's a hard job sometimes, I guess that's why there's so many of us doing it!
  • edited March 2010
    Ok, so I am an ungrateful cunt, fair enough, but
    I have to pay...$16 again for a game that I already own, that was pretty average anyway. we get some cunting art work and wallpaper which presumably is predominantly viewable on the forums, Majus' amazing but available on Youtube animations
    Brill, and a demo/advert for another sam and max game.
    Can i trade in all the unused free games etc we were offered from the treasure hunt and pre order, to get free postage?

The small print was on the website, but not in the confirmation email, and is damn cheeky anyway, surely it doesnt cost £10 to ship a dvd
    And yes the small print does claim that only preorders will have the ltd edition cover
    'but only pre-order customers will receive the limited edition cover'
    which is on the website but omitted from the order confirmation email.
    The same smallprint also mentions the dvd shipping cost
    'shipping will be charged when you come back to order the Collector's DVD.'
    which is also omitted from the confirmation email

Sober up stop ranting, it will still be shit (and moderated) in the morning
  • edited March 2010
    nikasaur wrote: »
    It's a hard job sometimes, I guess that's why there's so many of us doing it!

Well, you can take comfort in the fact that a good bunch of us love you guys!
    D'aww. Everyone, group hug on Nikki!
  • edited March 2010
    Ergh. When I started this thread, I was so excited. Now it just gives me a headache.

Sorry for ruining it for you.
    When I read my email i was excited...
  • edited March 2010
    I can understand where you guys are coming from, I just find it hard to imagine (though entirely plausible) that you missed every mention of the shipping charge. Like I said, most mentions of it were much less subtle than that asterisk in the link posted above. I just think Telltale has done a lot of awesome things for us, so I'm a bit hurt to see all this anger directed at them for something that's out of their control.
    edited March 2010
    I'm sorry to hear of everyone's frustrations, and we share those same feelings with you, nobody likes to feel ripped off and we truly want the customer experience with Telltale to be a positive one. We are looking into the issue quite heavily.
  • edited March 2010
    MrsBBC wrote: »
    I have to pay...$16 again for a game that I already own, that was pretty average anyway.

... Then don't order the DVD?
    You can get it whenever you want for free (plus shipping). Feel free to wait until there is something else you want to order and get them together to pay less in shipping. As you said, you already own the game. You can even decide never to get the DVD if you prefer.

About information not getting to people, tell me about it. The other day I was talking about a book with a friend who had read it. He thought one of the main character, a male, was female. And the book was in French, which means that every adjective was masculine. Every "he", "him", every adjective, he just skipped and missed while reading the book. I don't get how he did it.
  • edited March 2010
    i'm stunned by the ranting going on. I've known since my first TT purchase that shipping was extra, and that was with Sam and Max season 1. Plus £10 to ship a tracked item is very reasonable. Tracked sometimes means that the item will be delivered quicker too. I'd really like the p&p charge to drop, who wouldn't? But nor do i want to see TT bleed money on paying for peoples postage when they could use it to develop these games. If i was to put a figure on P&P, i would say that ideally there should be a $10 charge for a maximum of 3 dvd's sent in one package, and a cut off point of around $19 for merchandise shipping (given it weighs more.).

As a final option, would Tell Tale ever consider making any purchase worth more than $50 eligible for free delivery a permanent thing? It would essentially be mostly used around a time such as this but it would be a nice thing to have. Then, hopefully, as TT grows it can steadily bring that price down, much like amazon did with their free postage in the uk (first orders £15 and up got free delivery, then £10, £5, finally any purchase from amazon eligible regardless of cost.).

just my 2 cents.
  • edited March 2010
    Amazing how some Shipping Costs bring out the hatred in people who feel like TellTale conned them, how the series was actually crap, etc
  • edited March 2010
    Yeah, the level of vitrol in this thread (and the others about the postage and free shipping offer) is absolutely stunning.

For those of you who may be new around here, Telltale is not trying to rip you off, or cheat you, or spread vicious rumors about your loved ones. They like you and want to make you happy. They are a business, and they have to pay their bills, but they also try to do the right thing.
    Well, you can take comfort in the fact that a good bunch of us love you guys!

What GuruGuru214 said.
  • edited March 2010
    Wait, were we able to pay the DVD shipping back when the Season was first up for preorder? Because I can't remember if I paid that or not.

If we could, then I probably did. In which case, can I upgrade that to the Deluxe, without, you know, ordering it as a second disc?

And if we couldn't, then nevermind that last paragraph I guess.
  • edited March 2010
    Nope, we couldn't. If you haven't ordered in the last two days, you haven't ordered.
  • edited March 2010
    bluexcrush wrote: »
    Hi,

I would like to point out to all of the people that preordered a few months ago and supported TTG throughout the release that we have to spend an extra $50 to get the free shipping, whereas if someone just purchased the DVD now, they will only have to spend $50 - $34.95 = $15.05 to get the free shipping.

I think TTG should adjust the free shipping price for the people that preordered to $15.05 so that it takes into account the $34.95 we paid before. (In which case I would definitely order the Deluxe edition and throw in something to get the free shipping)

Does anyone agree with me?

Yeah. This one would be the right thing to do. It would be great if they counted the $34.95 we spent while pre-ordering to this $50 offer. In this case I would definitely order the deluxe edition also.
    Now the deluxe edition would cost me 14.95 plus the shipping $35, so deluxe edition would cost me $50.
  • edited March 2010
    moronic50 wrote: »
    Plus i really hope that i wont be slammed by customs when the game + xtras arrives. Does anyone know if UK customers already pay VAT on the games so we don't get done, or is it just luck if the stuff gets through?
    For customs you only consider the price of the goods (i.e. without shipping costs) to decide whether to tax them (custom is usually a doozy at 3% or so, but the 20% import VAT is killing me), and at least for Austria the exemption amount is 22 EUR.

So with 1 USD listed on the invoice (that's what they did for Wallace & Gromit, and I'm pretty sure they won't list S & M season three on there since it's not in the package) you should be fine, unless Europe's economy pulls a titanic and drops the price of 1 EUR below 0.05 USD... :D

np: Contriva - Follow Me (8 Eyes ('96 - '99))
  • edited March 2010
    Haven't ordered yet, but I will tonight. I'm going to order the deluxe version, art portfolio, and two sets of cards. One for me and one for my sister. I thought I heard rumors about free shipping then?
  • edited March 2010
    Yes but the art portfolio counts as a prints which is not included in the free shipping offer.

I ordered the Deluxe TMI edition plus pre-ordered the new Sam and Max (and the Sam & Max season 1 DVD which was free since I'm eligible) to come up to 49.90$ which was enough for the free shipping.
  • edited March 2010
    I thought so, but deluxe + two card sets, should be shipped for free I assume.

I suppose I'll find out when I order.
  • edited March 2010
    If you pre-ordered the season the delux is 15$, and each card set is 10$, making it 45$, so you would be missing 5$ I think...
  • edited March 2010
    On my screen the card sets cost 19.95 each.
  • edited March 2010
    Oh... I must have gotten them confused with the buttons, sorry!
  • edited March 2010
    well if i knew that shipping cost would be 50 $ i would not have bought the game.

that is fucking stupid. i will never buy something from telltale games again
  • edited March 2010
    I forgot about custom tax to uk on postage from america last time i had to pay an extra £11 to get poster and bages

I've never understood what the rules are, outside the fact that some parcels get opened and checked, and some don't. But I'm surprised that buying yourself a poster and a few poxy badges attracts import duty.
  • edited March 2010
    Aufhax wrote: »
    well if i knew that shipping cost would be 50 $ i would not have bought the game.

Yeah, but you're also getting a bunch of other stuff. If you don't want the merchandise or "The Devils Playhouse" you could just, y'know, pay the postage.
  • edited March 2010
    Aufhax wrote: »

They say they look into the shipping matter "quite heavily", perhaps if you wait a few months, it will be cheaper(there's no rule saying you have to order the game at at once, is there?).
  • edited March 2010
    Wapcaplet wrote: »
    The perks have value, too. The free episode alone was worth $8.95.

Rubbish. I didn't pay for the perks, I paid for the game. I have no need for a free episode. You can't just add the free stuff I didn't ask for.

I won't be paying $18 for the disk, and I will certainly not preorder anything from telltale in the future. In fact, good chance that Tales is the first and last game I buy of them.

Hell, I payed $35 for stuff like bioshock 2 and dragon age, and that includes shipping!
  • edited March 2010
    I do not see how TTG is responsible for shipping costs... They had it clear as day that the DVD is a free option that costs only shipping.. because postal workers do NOT work for free you know. Its not TTG job to figure out everyone's international shipping costs....
Sign in to comment in this discussion.