DVD Available for Pre-Order!

Comments

• edited March 2010
    Wapcaplet wrote: »

That's good news! I hope they'll manage to get another distributor.
  • edited March 2010
    Sorry if this has been asked before, but if I order the special bonus edition (the 15$ one), does the "Tales of Monkey Island Collector's DVD which includes the full season game, plus bonus extras" include the "Highlight Reel with Team Commentary" from the "0$" edition?

So basically, is the 15$ edition the same as the 0$ edition + more extras?
  • edited March 2010
    Skuld wrote: »
    So basically, is the 15$ edition the same as the 0$ edition + more extras?
    Yes, more physical extras. Content on the DVD is the same (there's only one version of the collector's DVD).
  • edited March 2010
    we'll I ended up grabbing the deluxe edition since i was buying Sam & Max season 3 anyway, and it would cost me more not to buy the deluxe edition (with the free shipping offer. Shipping to uk was $17 up from $13 a few months ago.) so $17 shipping Versus $15 for silly extras. Silly extras win. Would have liked the tankard but didn't like the art work they stuck on it. Seemed a bit naff really.
  • edited March 2010
    $18 for shipping is too much. I will make sure for Sam and Max S3 to buy it on Steam.
  • edited March 2010
    Zodler wrote: »
    $18 for shipping is too much. I will make sure for Sam and Max S3 to buy it on Steam.
    Not getting any optional DVD via Steam AT ALL costs exactly the same as NOT getting the optional end-of-season DVD.

Where's the improvement here?

np: Jacques Loussier - Main Theme From Dark Of The Sun (Quentin Tarantino's Inglourious Basterds Motion Picture Soundtrack)
  • edited March 2010
    I feel riped off by the shipping costs.

This was the first time I bought a Telltale game from the website, and It will probably be the last.

By pre-ordering I had two things in mind:

- Showing my (financial) support to Telltale, because they were reviving the series
    - Telltale would not cheat on me, by charging too much for the shipping costs

As for the first one, I think the series would have benefited from a little more polish (the story was great, the puzzles where good, and it was a funny adventure, but technically it is mediocre). And considering that these games benefit greatly from little details, they could have made the best game in the series, instead of just a good game. I could bear with an episode every 2 months, if it helped, but... that's the way life is.

On the second, and as I said before, I feel ripped off. In all honesty, I'm better waiting for the next season on a bargain bin, or second hand purchase than giving this ammout of money for the shipping, wich I have yet to see if they are not increased by Duty taxes (how hard can it be to get a partnership to ship the games from inside the EU?).

I am a bit disapointed with all this, and I regret trusting Telltale on this one.
  • edited March 2010
    Aynone from the UK being charged $35 for shipping for the deluxe edition? I didnt complete the order as it seemed wrong...
  • edited March 2010
    Leak wrote: »
    Not getting any optional DVD via Steam AT ALL costs exactly the same as NOT getting the optional end-of-season DVD.

Where's the improvement here?
    And Steam has no preorder bonuses, like the free episode of another series or access to the private forum or private sale events in the TTG store. Besides, Telltale loses a cut of the purchase price if you buy it anywhere else.
  • edited March 2010
    Hi,

I would like to point out to all of the people that preordered a few months ago and supported TTG throughout the release that we have to spend an extra $50 to get the free shipping, whereas if someone just purchased the DVD now, they will only have to spend $50 - $34.95 = $15.05 to get the free shipping.

I think TTG should adjust the free shipping price for the people that preordered to $15.05 so that it takes into account the $34.95 we paid before. (In which case I would definitely order the Deluxe edition and throw in something to get the free shipping)

Does anyone agree with me?
  • edited March 2010
    - Telltale would not cheat on me, by charging too much for the shipping costs
    As Bonnie said, the shipping costs are out of Telltale's hands. Their distributor sets the prices, and Telltale can't just walk away from the contract they have with them.

Telltale didn't cheat you.
  • edited March 2010
    @ blue crush

How much are TT charging you for delivery? I'm from the uk and they wanted $17 for shipping, so i added on the deluxe edition (plus i was buying sam & max season 3 anyway) thus reaching the required $50 (well 10 cents short, they let you off on that one)

Plus i really hope that i wont be slammed by customs when the game + xtras arrives. Does anyone know if UK customers already pay VAT on the games so we don't get done, or is it just luck if the stuff gets through?
  • edited March 2010
    bluexcrush wrote: »
    Does anyone agree with me?
    So the people who preordered and got bonuses like a free episode, access to the private forum, and who were able to play & use coupons from the Treasure Hunt should also be given a drastic discount in the free shipping requirements as well? :rolleyes:
  • edited March 2010
    I feel your pain but I disagree. You (and I) got a free episode, and got to play for the 8 months since it was released instead of having to wait. And offering free shipping for only 15 dollars of purchase would mean they'd basically be paying to send you stuff since they'd spend more on shipping it to you than they'd get from the sale.

When you buy something as it first comes out, or even preorder it, it always end up being more expensive than waiting 6 months to a year before getting it. It makes perfect sense.
  • edited March 2010
    Kohlstream wrote: »
    Aynone from the UK being charged $35 for shipping for the deluxe edition? I didnt complete the order as it seemed wrong...

Like the above poster said, mine definitely wasn't this high, plus I was buying Sam & Max S3 and the collector goodies anyway, which brought it up enough to qualify for the free shipping, I'd recommend you just do the same. (and yes, they let you off with 10 cents, which is very nice of them)

As for VAT/import tax, I've never been hit by it from Telltale in the past, even when I ordered the signed poster, but I think much of it may just be luck. Would be nice to hear if anyone else has had any problems.
  • edited March 2010
    Like the above poster said, mine definitely wasn't this high, plus I was buying Sam & Max S3 and the collector goodies anyway, which brought it up enough to qualify for the free shipping, I'd recommend you just do the same.

As for VAT/import tax, I've never been hit by it from Telltale in the past, even when I ordered the signed poster, but I think much of it may just be luck. Would be nice to hear if anyone else has had any problems.

I see, overchrage much? Good idea about the free shipping deal, im gonna get the voodoo cards and grog mug! Seems the people who pre-ordered the game back in june(?) seemed to have gotten screwed a bit with this. The main reason i pre-ordered was for the exclusive cover for the 'free' DVD, i wish i just waited now.
  • edited March 2010
    Wow, this thread took a very sudden turn from Telltale love to Telltale hate. Telltale has been absolutely awesome to us. They're a small company, yet they've managed to make an amazing game, offer some of the best support I've ever seen, made merchandise simply because their fanbase demanded it, taken the time to interact with all of us here, and given out free stuff left and right. And if they say that they're doing the best they can to reduce shipping costs (which they don't see a dime of), I trust that they are.

I ask all of you who are complaining about shipping costs, how many times have you gotten a free episode, a discount, or free shipping? I'm personally sitting on four free episodes and a 25% discount on two season upgrades. I'd say Telltale's been damn good to us, especially for such a small company.
  • edited March 2010
    Yeah, they're great, and shipping isn't something they control. It's not like the money ends up in their pocket, they'd much rather have it be cheaper since they'd sell more and would make us happier, and they're really good about trying to please us.

A 50 dollars minimum makes sense as they would end up spending more on shipping than they'd earn in sales if there wasn't a minimum. And they announced enough new things that you can get S&M3+deluxe edition and get free shipping, or deluxe edition + a couple of new things (even if you have all the other, older stuff) and get free shipping.

I don't think it's fair to be upset with them. Be upset with the distributor. Be upset with the post office. But telltale are doing all they can on their end.
  • edited March 2010
    My order:
    Tales of Monkey Island DVD with Steve Purcell slipcase
    Tales of Monkey Island Deluxe Edition
    Tales of Monkey Island Drinking Vessel
    Tales of Monkey Island T-Shirt
    Voodoo Card Set
    Tales of Monkey Island Buttons - Set #2

which comes to $83.75
    which gets me free shipping!
  • edited March 2010
    wowzers, thats quite the MI fan there, mind you Elain would have all the Guybrush memorabilia. I wonder if MI could commission a brewery to produce a limited edition MI: Grog "Keeping Sailors Sozzled since 1553!"
  • edited March 2010
    Scrawffler wrote: »
    The Sam and Max Purcell covers weren't just for pre-orderers. (I should know - I only bought them last year!)

But they had never said, back then, that they would be. Which is the difference. With TOMI they specifically stated, in the beginning, that pre-orders would have an exclusive slipcase on top of the other advantages.

I know, you're gonna say it's just a slipcase, but why then say it would be exclusive when it won't be?

As for the crazy shipping costs, I won't get angry at Telltale Games for this, because while it probably wouldn't cost so much to send a DVD, you also need to account for the handling of the material, which is done by a third party, not Telltale Games themselves. And since Telltale Games offers us FREE shipping on orders over $50, it probably affects the S&H costs of the items under that order price.

Just because Telltale offers us free shipping, doesn't mean that they don't need to pay the S&H company - so the distributor is probably just charging more for the lower-cost orders in order to offset the 'free shipping' offer. The money has to come from somewhere, you know? And hey, if we didn't have the free shipment offer, it might lower the costs of S&H for the smaller orders, but it might influence us in buying LESS from Telltale because we'd need to pay for the shipping on top of the rest. And then Telltale would get less money, because the money they make comes from the games and merchandise.

Do I make sense...? :P
  • edited March 2010
    Well, then they should be more careful when they choose their distributor. It's not a new problem. The same thing happened, when the S&M Season 1 DVD was released. Back then, international shipping was around USD16, and only after the customers complained about ist, it was reduced to 9.95. From then on shipping cost slowly went up again (10.95 for Season2 an Strong Bad, 16 (at least thats what other germans paid, my invoice said 11.23 for some reason, maybe I used a discount?) for Wallace & Gromit) und now 18 for TMI!

This means they had enough time to figure it out and make a better deal with the distributors.
  • edited March 2010
    Well, there's some cool stuff! Anyway I don't think $83 is that bad.
  • edited March 2010
    axelkothe wrote: »
    This means they had enough time to figure it out and make a better deal with the distributors.

We can theorize all we want, but in the end, it all depends on legal work that we aren't privy to, and it's between TTG and their distributor. For all we know, they are just as annoyed as we are at the hike in S&H costs, but cannot do much, because they are bound by contract. Again, we can't know the specifics of the legal mumbo jumbo, but that's how I see it.

Of course, the promotion to get free shipping on orders of $50 or more is a good marketing tactic to influence us into buying more (because we get a better deal that way), but that's hardly new.

Besides, the reason why I'm inclined to throw so much money at them is just because their damned games are so fun. :P
  • edited March 2010
    Hmm what to choose, what to choose, im spoilt with choice, im an art fan, so id definatly get the artwork, and tarots, but i still want a tshirt and mug...soundtrack would be awesome and a guybrush figurine...maybe near christmas....ive just lost my job :( , so i dont know how im gunna afford it..but see if i got enough money in the bank and purchase it, before i got into an overdraft
  • edited March 2010
    Guybrush with his hook fending off the zombie hand would be good as a figurine. That or a montage with that sexy lechuck sculpture done a while back, guybrush looking jealous and elaine apparently swooning at lechuck... just a thought.
  • edited March 2010
    So the people who preordered and got bonuses like a free episode, access to the private forum, and who were able to play & use coupons from the Treasure Hunt should also be given a drastic discount in the free shipping requirements as well? :rolleyes:
    Avistew wrote: »
    I feel your pain but I disagree. You (and I) got a free episode, and got to play for the 8 months since it was released instead of having to wait. And offering free shipping for only 15 dollars of purchase would mean they'd basically be paying to send you stuff since they'd spend more on shipping it to you than they'd get from the sale.

When you buy something as it first comes out, or even preorder it, it always end up being more expensive than waiting 6 months to a year before getting it. It makes perfect sense.

We paid $34.95 already for the game - I think it should count towards the - buy $50 and get free ship, since people who are buying the game now will have their $34.95 included as part of the $50.

@avistew - when they release episodes by episode and get us to pay them a fee ahead of time, we are losing on the time value of money - 8 months worth and also they can estimate demand from the pre-orders (which has a nominal value). I believe that the perks we get from pre-ordering are just ways to entice people to pre-order. In regards to your comment about paying to send it to us, we paid $34.95 for it already which means that we do have a stake in part of the $50 already (just like the people who are buying it now).

In all fairness the pre-order(ers) bought the game too, we paid $34.95 for it and it should count towards the $50 free ship just like the people who are purchasing the game now.

(Btw, shipping is $18 for me and I fully enjoyed the game.)
  • edited March 2010
    maybe flip it another way in future. Those who take a leap of faith by purchasing a pre-order game get free shipping. Everybody else who joins later looses out. Basically an additional perk.
  • edited March 2010
    It's a limited offer. In 18 days people who have preordered won't get free shipping even if they order over 50 dollars worth of stuff. The promo isn't linked to preordering at all.

You had the game for all that time. Just because you could save money now doesn't mean that have to make it cheaper for you. Preordering benefits are only meant to be benefits compared to people who buy the games after preorders are over. People who, just like us, have already bought the game now and don't have it counting towards the 50 dollars.

At any rate, it makes no sense to ask that only if you have preordered. People who bought the game between July, when it stopped being a preorder, and now, when there is the 50 dollars deal, are in exactly the same boat.
    The only difference is I guess the Purcell slipcase, which I agree can make you feel like you've been cheated since now it's available to anyone. That's all. The rest is the same for anyone else, preorders or not.
  • edited March 2010
    Yeah, I ordered S&M S3 and the Deluxe set, for $49.90, with free shipping to Australia. Pretty good deal I think =)
  • edited March 2010
    @avistew - when they release episodes by episode and get us to pay them a fee ahead of time, we are losing on the time value of money - 8 months worth and also they can estimate demand from the pre-orders (which has a nominal value). I believe that the perks we get from pre-ordering are just ways to entice people to pre-order.

The perks have value, too. The free episode alone was worth $8.95. So you paid $34.95 and received at least $43.90 in return. Not to mention the value of access to the private forum, and the fact that you're getting a slipcover at no extra charge (while everyone else has to pay an additional $15). Not to mention you could play every game on the date it was released.

Sounds like a great deal to me. And you feel like it should be made even better?
    In all fairness the pre-order(ers) bought the game too, we paid $34.95 for it and it should count towards the $50 free ship just like the people who are purchasing the game now.
    And what about the people who bought it last week? According to your logic, everyone who ever bought ToMI should have the cost of their purchase deducted from the $50 requirement -- they didn't know how much the shipping would cost, or that there would be a free shipping offer either.
  • edited March 2010
    For all we know, they are just as annoyed as we are at the hike in S&H costs

I'd say there's no question about that. Not only does it make them look bad, but it costs them real money in lost sales.
  • edited March 2010
    Avistew wrote: »
    It's a limited offer. In 18 days people who have preordered won't get free shipping even if they order over 50 dollars worth of stuff. The promo isn't linked to preordering at all.

You had the game for all that time. Just because you could save money now doesn't mean that have to make it cheaper for you. Preordering benefits are only meant to be benefits compared to people who buy the games after preorders are over. People who, just like us, have already bought the game now and don't have it counting towards the 50 dollars.

At any rate, it makes no sense to ask that only if you have preordered. People who bought the game between July, when it stopped being a preorder, and now, when there is the 50 dollars deal, are in exactly the same boat.
    The only difference is I guess the Purcell slipcase, which I agree can make you feel like you've been cheated since now it's available to anyone. That's all. The rest is the same for anyone else, preorders or not.

I understand where you are coming from. According to the limited time offer we shouldn't get any because the limited time offer is targetted towards people who have not purchased the game yet.
    The perks have value, too. The free episode alone was worth $8.95. So you paid $34.95 and received at least $43.90 in return. Not to mention the value of access to the private forum, and the fact that you're getting a slipcover at no extra charge (while everyone else has to pay an additional $15). Not to mention you could play every game on the date it was released.

Sounds like a great deal to me. And you feel like it should be made even better?

And what about the people who bought it last week? According to your logic, everyone who ever bought ToMI should have the cost of their purchase deducted from the $50 requirement -- they didn't know how much the shipping would cost, or that there would be a free shipping offer either.

I'm talking about the people who purchased the game, but haven't received the DVDs yet. Since the shipping is for the DVDs and not for the downloadable games, it should apply to when we get our DVDs, not when we get the game. Since the DVDs are coming out during the promotional time, we should be able to take advantage of the promotion. What I'm trying to say is that the promotion should be contingent upon when the physical DVD comes out and not when we download the game because the promotion on the shipping costs is tied to shipping the DVD and not the game.
  • edited March 2010
    so i guess what we need to do is as TT have said help em set up a european distribution center and an Australian one. On the down side for us Europeans though shipping would probably go up in price since we'd be paying in euros (or pounds if you're in the renegade UK like me). Especially since TT want tracking now so they don't loose money from post going walkies.
  • edited March 2010
    I'd say the 3 to 8 months (depending on the episode) I've been able to play Tales has absolutely been worth the $6.39 I spent on shipping. Not to mention the free Sam & Max 101 I got. And that's all I have to say on that.
  • edited March 2010
    Yay i bought it...got the
    Tales of Monkey Island Deluxe Edition (no brainer if your a fan of the series)
    Tales of Monkey Island Art Portfolio (i love the art)
    Tales of Monkey Island Voodoo Card Set (i love the art)

which came up to $59.98 works out to be £39.44 in the UK ...now it will feel like christmas waking up early to recieve it in the post....ooo i cant wait :) ...only downer is that im broke until i find another part time job :(...but it was worth it :)
  • edited March 2010
    Strange, i thought, that as someone who pre ordered all the episodes at once, back when the game wasnt even out, i should be entitled for immediate shipping, as soon as the money goes through.
    Yet im put on a backorder?!
    Whats was the point to preorder then?
    Bad decision Telltale, bad.
    I loved the game, but this is just putting me off....
  • edited March 2010
    I think the store considers a preorder as a backorder because there's no stock (yet). Once the DVDs arrive from the manufacturer they'll all go out in the order in which you placed the preorder. So your DVD will probably go out with the first batch if you ordered today.
  • edited March 2010
    I think the store considers a preorder as a backorder because there's no stock (yet). Once the DVDs arrive from the manufacturer they'll all go out in the order in which you placed the preorder. So your DVD will probably go out with the first batch if you ordered today.

I hope it so, because otherwise i wont be preordering the next game for sure, but just wait for the final release.:(
  • edited March 2010
    Strange, i thought, that as someone who pre ordered all the episodes at once, back when the game wasnt even out, i should be entitled for immediate shipping, as soon as the money goes through.
    Yet im put on a backorder?!

yeah the Backorder would be classed as Pre-order, cause they havent got the items instock yet...so once its out of pre-order stage, im guessing after the promotional free shipping date, then the orders will be dispatched as soon as possible
Sign in to comment in this discussion.