Penal zone recap (MAJOR SPOILERS!)

edited June 2010 in Sam & Max
So I just finished episode 1 in "the five part epic comedy saga" that is the devils playhouse.

I Freaking love it. LOVE IT! Well worth the wait.

(I said spoilers in the title so no need to discus the game in spoiler boxes. I sure as hell wont.)

I got worried when I got to the end and thought I would do the exact same thing as the beginning but they really surprised me when skunkape turned it around and changed the future.

Best moment for me... very hard but it was probably using future vision on everything and seeing things in no context
(Hey max wanna ground me?)

Next episode? I'm very curious as to what happens next. It looks like skunkape took the rhinoplasty and mind reading cards with him into the new dimension so it looks like their gone. But that would suck. They probably Really are gone because think about it, How many different different sceneries can you think of where you need a picture to transform into?

The twist at the end was really strange. Sam and max are dead?... Or is that sammun mak? In this episode, they made a huge deal of seeing the future and finding the events leading up to it, or changing the future. In episode two, I think the word tomb, and seeing Sam and max skeleton makes me think the big thing for episode 2 will be spending all the episode inside Sam and maxes building. Which would be cool, considering how we haven't been their since raving dead.

So what did you guys think of the penal zone? What do you think is going to happen?

Comments

• edited April 2010
    Only thing I can call a plothole is, well, when Skunkape gave futurevision away to Max and then sent them to the Penal Zone so that they can be destroyed... with the futurevision and the teleportation toy. Well it felt like he didn't really cared for futurevision but he kinda wanted it before...

Other than that.. I can't say nothing bad about it. It's great! Definitely a good experience. It had a great atmoshpere, an atmosphere, a villain... Puzzles were great, futurevision is well executed and good to know that it'll last for 4 more episodes.

Kinda felt sad since I just beated the game in one day and now I have to wait for a month.
  • edited April 2010
    The twist at the end was really strange. Sam and max are dead?... Or is that sammun mak? In this episode, they made a huge deal of seeing the future and finding the events leading up to it, or changing the future. In episode two, I think the word tomb
    I think, like speculated before... that sammun-mak are egyptian ancestors of Sam&Max, hence the similar likelyness and name. And it would explain all the hyroglyph stuff in that specific place...
    Time travel again? I wouldn't mind...
  • edited April 2010
    I loved the first time you teleport and you see the flaming Max Skeleton.
  • edited April 2010
    mateo360 wrote: »
    I loved the first time you teleport and you see the flaming Max Skeleton.
    Oh yeah! Best. Scene. EVER!!

But I have to say, I am probably going to spend a lot of my replay time in Max Mode just to find all the Easter Eggs they hid, like one of Monty Muzzle's Chickens sitting in the Desoto, or Death's Boat from ToMI in the Subway/Sewers.
  • edited April 2010
    That was definitely an enjoyable 5 hours . Too bad we have to wait till May for the next episode.
  • edited April 2010
    I think, like speculated before... that sammun-mak are egyptian ancestors of Sam&Max, hence the similar likelyness and name. And it would explain all the hyroglyph stuff in that specific place...
    Time travel again? I wouldn't mind...

I'm definitely leaning towards the time travel/alternate timeline/dimension area, I'm starting to think that Sammun-mak is less an egyptian reference than just a catchy title. Also, is anyone starting to think that
    some form of Max is going to end being the/a villian?
  • edited April 2010
    A couple of plot holes confused me.

The most obvious being Stinky on the phone to Skunkape and and the love letter and going to meet him. Yet at the end she finds him annoying and said she ditched her phone to get away.

So why did she go meet him then?

The second loophole that got me was if you could ring Meesta Pizza via COPS why couldn't same teleport Meesta Pizza?
  • edited April 2010
    Emo Hoe wrote: »

The most obvious being Stinky on the phone to Skunkape and and the love letter and going to meet him. Yet at the end she finds him annoying and said she ditched her phone to get away.

Stinky seems to be hiding something. I don't think it's really Skunkape she was going to see. Sam just assumed that it was.
    The second loophole that got me was if you could ring Meesta Pizza via COPS why couldn't same teleport Meesta Pizza?

I was wondering that too. Maybe Max doesn't know the phone number, but couldn't Sam tell him?
  • edited April 2010
    I'm guessing it was explained by that bit of dialogue about there being over 100 Meesta Pizzas in the city and no way of knowing which one he was at. They could certainly teleport to the one that Sam always calls, but it's a long shot that it'd be the right one.
  • edited April 2010

If you ask her about it when trapped in the cage in Skunkapes ship, she'll mention that she went to see her boyfriend when she was kidnapped by Skunkape.

I noticed that she's reluctant to mention her boyfriend, like she doesn't want Sam and Max to find out who he is (future episode plot point, probably), while she always refers to Skunkape by name.

I got the clear impression from that conversation that Skunkape isn't her boyfriend. She's only on the throne in the beginning of the game because of Sam and Max, just like the second time around.
  • edited April 2010
    If you examine the meesta pizza glass, Sam will say that there are several meesta pizzas (142, to be precise). It's perfectly acceptable to assume they don't have the phone number of the one they had to go to.
  • edited April 2010
    TonViper wrote: »
    If you ask her about it when trapped in the cage in Skunkapes ship, she'll mention that she went to see her boyfriend when she was kidnapped by Skunkape.

I noticed that she's reluctant to mention her boyfriend, like she doesn't want Sam and Max to find out who he is (future episode plot point, probably), while she always refers to Skunkape by name.

I got the clear impression from that conversation that Skunkape isn't her boyfriend. She's only on the throne in the beginning of the game because of Sam and Max, just like the second time around.

I bet Flint Paper is her boyfriend, he disappeared awfully mysteriously from the diner if you ask me!
  • edited April 2010
    PluX wrote: »
    I bet Flint Paper is her boyfriend, he disappeared awfully mysteriously from the diner if you ask me!

Yeah but the note was signed S, so it couldnt be. My money is on Satan.
  • edited April 2010

It's Shugh Bliss!
  • edited April 2010

wouldn't it be gross if it would be grandpa stinky? :p

If its Superball though Max should have him locked up for treason!
  • The game was frustrating in one or two parts but it's the most fun I've had playing Sam And Max since Night Of The Raving Dead.
  • edited April 2010

I'm kinda leaning towards Shambling Corporate Presence myself
  • edited April 2010
    Avel wrote: »
    Also, is anyone starting to think that
    some form of Max is going to end being the/a villian?
    You're reading too many of my posts on this forum ;).
    PluX wrote: »
    Yeah, I mean, she only tried to kill him... can't think anything that says 'I love you' more than that!
  • edited April 2010
    It's Sal, the unseen chef. Calling it now.
  • edited April 2010
    pluizig wrote: »
    It's Sal, the unseen chef. Calling it now.

I'd point out that Sal is a lady's name, but not only do we NOT know which way Stinky swings, she is also a Cake of the Damned, and who knows if "girl" even applies to 'her' beyond vague physical form?
  • edited April 2010
    Well, Sal makes sense, but eh... the guy's a cockroach.

Disturbing enough for TTG maybe though.
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2010
    Starcat5 wrote: »
    I'd point out that Sal is a lady's name

Sal can be a guy's name. Short of Salazar among other things.
  • edited April 2010
    Starcat5 wrote: »
    I'd point out that Sal is a lady's name, but not only do we NOT know which way Stinky swings, she is also a Cake of the Damned, and who knows if "girl" even applies to 'her' beyond vague physical form?

So your saying she is pastry-sexual because she is a cake? So S... must be STRAWBERRY!
  • edited April 2010
    How about Santa? Maybe its him.
  • edited April 2010
    im for Satan, but who knows it could turn out that bosco was knighted and is no Sir Bosco. By the way i found it wierd that there wasn't any sound in the menu screen
  • edited April 2010
    correction now instead of no 'no Sir Bosco' becomes 'now Sir Bosco'
  • UrdUrd
    edited April 2010
    So i am also thorugh this episode.

I really loved the Max' View and the Psychic powers, especially the times it gives false hints how to solve a puzzle ("Knocked them cold" or "oldes trick in the book")
    The greatest downsides were technalaties and graphic glitches on the Mac Version, wich made it hard to play sometimes.

From a Plot consitency standpoint, the giveaway of the future-Vision was weird, if it had been stolen, it would have been more appropriate. The Tekephine was taken away, maybe because Skunkape didn't know max had it. (Since the palce where it is kept is NONE OF HIS DAMMED BUISINESS)

Some of the Teleporter Puzzles were really great, especially how to get rid of the goons at boscotec.

I am Looking forwanrd to the future episodes, but hopefully in a better mac Version.
  • edited April 2010
    It is 100% Sal... She is "trying" to hide the fact that he even existed, so Telltale is really hinting this to be him. He is probably the rival of Flint Paper or something...
  • edited April 2010
    ^ Or he IS Flint Paper!
  • edited April 2010
    I agree. Likely Sal the giant cockroach.
  • edited April 2010
    I want to know who was trying to kill Flint Paper. I know Stinky is suspicious, but she really seems harmless after all the misconceptions of this episode and all of season two.
  • edited April 2010
    Awesome episode! But i just... need... MORE!
  • edited April 2010
    Bunnyman wrote: »
    I know Stinky is suspicious, but she really seems harmless after all the misconceptions of this episode and all of season two.
    She seems harmless? Poor deluded soul...
  • edited April 2010
    I don't understand why noone is discussing about the toy box. Or more specifically, The Devil's Toybox!
    And has anybody used future vision on Sam in the spaceship? His partner is going to die!
  • edited April 2010
    Ganon159 wrote: »
    I don't understand why noone is discussing about the toy box. Or more specifically, The Devil's Toybox!
    And has anybody used future vision on Sam in the spaceship? His partner is going to die!

Well, his partner is going to become one with the infinity and destroy the whole universe, at least according to the Molemen.

Now, that thing baffle me, about they decided to put an incredible mysterious plot point in the very last puzzle. In fact, I was so concentrated in defeat Skun-ka'pe, I had to basically stop when we appear at the Molemen Shrine and start to eat more plot points. I was clicking everywhere to figure out what's going on there, and when I used all the dialog options with the molemen, I suddenly remember I had to stop Skun-ka'pe.

I wish that Shrine had more hot spots to still getting more information about Max's Powers and the Toybox prophesy, but, appart Max is destinated to destroy the universe, we doesn't know anymore about that psychic powers.

Anyway, I wonder what will happen when that Toybox is opened. And I'm talking in the sense of been the energy of the Rift Generator (In the other sense, we still have no idea appart of the Apocalypse). Skun-ka'pe will back? With the Rinoplasty and the Mind Reading? The Future Vision of they been in the office was just something that might happen or the guys will be back to office at the end of the season for sure?

But first the Huldufólk!
  • edited April 2010
    Agreed that Stinky's beau is Sal.
  • edited April 2010
    Bunnyman wrote: »
    I want to know who was trying to kill Flint Paper. I know Stinky is suspicious, but she really seems harmless after all the misconceptions of this episode and all of season two.

She acted rather guilty when Flint freaked out about the peanuts. I think it was her, trying to prevent the discovery of either the death of Sal or the possible fact that Sal is an inhuman, unhygienic creature, likely to be a cockroach.
  • edited April 2010
    Did I miss the part where they figured out that plugging the power cord into the toybox would somehow power the whole building?
  • edited April 2010
    I think Grandpa hired Flint Paper to find out who Stinky is dating. Since he's getting too close, Stinky and Sal then conspired to kill Flint. They probably desperately want to hide Sal. That was easy enough when Stinky ran the place by herself and could just keep him in the kitchen, but a lot harder with Grandpa around. This explains both why Stinky told such a blatant lie in What's New, Beelzebub? and why she's not letting Grandpa in the kitchen.
  • edited April 2010
    Obviously "S" is for "Soda Poppers", and Stinky is in a polygamous relationship with them, as they work together to bring down Sam and Max once and for all.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.