I dont want to wait any more

edited May 2010 in Sam & Max
I hate this wait. whenever telltale release a game you download it the second it's out. or the very first day. either way you start playing and it just gets so addictive you cant stop. i fid myself saying ok just this part and then no more for today. then the game finishes on the very first day you started playing and have to wait a month for the next one. next month i'm gonna take my sweet time with the next episode (not likely) DAMN YOU TELLTALE FOR MAKING SUCH EXCELLENT GAMES! best gaming company there is!

Comments

• edited April 2010
    I just wonder when the second episode is going to be released. If it's going to be released in the first days of May, goodie! We're so close to May...
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited April 2010
    Falanca wrote: »
    I just wonder when the second episode is going to be released. If it's going to be released in the first days of May, goodie! We're so close to May...

No dice! If we're lucky, its mid-May, if not, late May. It's the law! ;)
  • edited April 2010
    Ha! You didn't say a year!
    You loose! Good day sir!
  • edited April 2010
    May afternoonish o'clock.
  • edited April 2010
    I can wait i still have 205 for replay,Jack Keane,Ankh 2 and i plan to buy Puzzle Bot at the 30th.I think that will last till the next episode.
  • edited April 2010
    I, for one, am lobbying for the 18th. Which has nothing at all to do with the fact that this would coincide with my birthday.
  • edited April 2010
    I'm guessing it will be the 13th or the 20th, as it'll have to be a Thursday for the PSN folks. Unless of course Telltale gives it to them earlier/later.
  • edited April 2010
    I think you're on to something there lombre
  • edited April 2010
    I think we might get it Mid-May as well probably May 13th or 20. I can't wait for episode 302 either! :rolleyes:
  • edited April 2010
    I, for one, am lobbying for the 18th. Which has nothing at all to do with the fact that this would coincide with my birthday.

Amazing, that's the day after mine!
  • edited April 2010
    Soonerish.
  • edited April 2010
    It can't be fast enough for me :D
  • edited April 2010
    The only think I'm hoping is that I'll have time to finish 301 before 302 comes out, so I get to anticipate it too.
  • edited April 2010
    What would be the ideal release cycle from a customers point of view? Maybe every two weeks, so that you don't loose interest but aren't forced to play a game every week?
  • edited April 2010
    taumel wrote: »
    What would be the ideal release cycle from a customers point of view? Maybe every two weeks, so that you don't loose interest but aren't forced to play a game every week?

I wouldn't mind weekly releases, because then it would be like a TV show. Actually, because of the Internet, now I am so impatient to wait a week for those, I usually just find where someone put it online for me to watch on demand. Once I watched an entire season in one day because I just couldn't stop.

If Telltale released more games, more often, I'd just play them non-stop. I wouldn't feel "forced to play a game every week". I need my fix!
  • edited April 2010
    ONLY one a week? You want to starve us or something? :p

(Yeah, the month is torture... good thing we're all S&M lovers ;))
  • edited April 2010
    I took me a week to finish 301, so weekly releases would be perfect for me.
  • edited April 2010
    But with monthly releases, the game lasts for 5 months :D
    Besides, the wait is almost as exciting as the episodes themselves. And when the episode finally is downloadable, well it's like being a kid at an amusement park. If everything was released at once it would be over just as fast as well
  • edited April 2010
    caeska wrote: »
    But with monthly releases, the game lasts for 5 months :D
    Besides, the wait is almost as exciting as the episodes themselves. And when the episode finally is downloadable, well it's like being a kid at an amusement park. If everything was released at once it would be over just as fast as well

Maybe that's what the ending of MI2 was meant to represent. A kid playing the next episode in a Telltale game.
  • edited April 2010
    I thought that would still be the case, we just get 4 different games at the same time to play with, than just the 1...
  • PsyPsy
    edited April 2010
    I wouldn't mind weekly releases, because then it would be like a TV show. Actually, because of the Internet, now I am so impatient to wait a week for those, I usually just find where someone put it online for me to watch on demand. Once I watched an entire season in one day because I just couldn't stop.

If Telltale released more games, more often, I'd just play them non-stop. I wouldn't feel "forced to play a game every week". I need my fix!

So a while ago I thought to myself, "We make games with usually 4 acts in 4 weeks, why not split them into 4 games and release on a weekly basis?" Not really as a THIS IS AWESOME thing, but just to think about it. I mentioned it to a friend, and his response was pretty dead on:

TV is moving *away* from the weekly format and toward a more freeform style where people can watch the episode they want to watch whenever they feel like watching it. People are less and less watching episodes as they're on TV and more often waiting for full seasons then watching it all at once or watching them online outside the normal release time. If TV is moving away from its own business model, why would games want to move toward that model?

With episodic gaming, getting the right interval to content ratio is crucial, and I think Telltale's been getting it right. But I work here, so my opinion is pretty obvious :P
  • edited April 2010
    I too have always preferred getting the DVDs after a season is over and watching it all rather than watch as it came out on TV.
    I don't think I'd like a new episode of telltale every week. I probably wouldn't get around to playing one before the next was up.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2010
    Avistew wrote: »
    I don't think I'd like a new episode of telltale every week. I probably wouldn't get around to playing one before the next was up.

On the forums, which house our dearest and most hardcorest fans, this may come as a surprise, but we hear pretty often that even with a monthly schedule a fair number of people don't get around to playing the whole episode in a month. I'd be curious to see Telltale experiment with different release cycles, different game lengths, etc, but we have a decently sweet spot which we like working in right now, and which our customers mostly seem into :) so at the very least it's good to be somewhere good.
  • edited April 2010
    Jake wrote: »
    On the forums, which house our dearest and most hardcorest fans, this may come as a surprise, but we hear pretty often that even with a monthly schedule a fair number of people don't get around to playing the whole episode in a month.

It doesn't surprise me that much. I have only played the Devil's Playhouse up to the opening credits and didn't play ToMI episode 1 until a few days before episode 2 was released. And I've never played any of the episodes the day it was released. I don't meant I've never finished them that day, I mean I've never started them that day.
    I don't like rushing into good things.
    I have to admit that makes navigating the forums harder for a spoilerophobe such as myself, though. I can imagine for non-forumites though, there isn't such a problem. Actually, before I became very active on these forums (which is about when ToMI was over and "Sam and Max 2010" was announced), I only knew that a new episode was released when I got the email saying so. Never knew the dates they would be released or anything like that.

And my husband hasn't even started ToMI of finished Sam and ax Season 2. Or played any of the Wallace and Gromit episodes.
    For that matter, I have only finished one of them so far. I was so impatient for the Devil's Playhouse that I completely neglected finishing the others. Oops?
  • edited April 2010
    On the forums, which house our dearest and most hardcorest fans, this may come as a surprise, but we hear pretty often that even with a monthly schedule a fair number of people don't get around to playing the whole episode in a month. I'd be curious to see Telltale experiment with different release cycles, different game lengths, etc, but we have a decently sweet spot which we like working in right now, and which our customers mostly seem into :) so at the very least it's good to be somewhere good.
    Whilst i see the relevance from the production side, i can't agree from what i hear from others playing the game and who don't show up on the forum as well.

They prefer having the whole season in their hands before starting to play, so that they can decide, when and how much they want to play on their own or those who are more curious prefer a shorter release cycle due to that four weeks is too long because it throws them out of the game.

I really had my problems forcing me into some episodes of Monkey Island again, lost the contact to the game and what i did and happened in there before. So personally i'm with the second group, too curious to wait until the whole game has been released but the waiting is too long for being perfect. Normally i solve an episode in a day or two and then two weeks sounds better to me. I like it if things are finished as well.
  • edited April 2010
    I think ideally, I would prefer either getting the whole game at once when it's all done (of course there is the option to wait for the DVD for that), or games that are self-containned and unrelated. As in, not part of a single story at all. Even Season one was too "related" for me to consider them standalone episodes.

But I can see how there are advantages to the way you're doing it. And it must be a lot of fun for you to read our totally inaccurate predictions.
  • edited April 2010
    On the forums, which house our dearest and most hardcorest fans, this may come as a surprise, but we hear pretty often that even with a monthly schedule a fair number of people don't get around to playing the whole episode in a month.

:eek:

Rare are the times that I don't finish an episode on release day. I kind of envy the slowpokes, for they don't have to wait a full month between releases.

On the other hand, speculation on the forum is an integral part of the TTG experience for me.
  • edited April 2010
    Psy wrote: »
    If TV is moving away from its own business model, why would games want to move toward that model?
    I think this has more to do with those $#@$% commercial breaks, then the weakly delivery basis.

Although I have to admit being guilty to buying season boxes and watching a season in a day or 2, but then again, I no longer have a TV at all, so I can't even do the other way anymore :D.
  • edited April 2010
    The thing about TV shows is that they usually air them at impossible hours. At least digital TV has offered a solution, you can record all episodes and watch them when you want, and all at once if you prefer. I used to be interested in season dvd's, but they can be costly and it's not like you'll watch them more than once.

It took me several days to finish the Penal Zone, and I kindly take offense by the term slowpoke :p. I'm not slow, I've probably spent as much in-game time as the rest of you (I consider myself an average AG'er in that regard). Only my playing sessions are shorter and farther apart due to other obligations. Like, my life.

To be honest, I was surprised at how quickly I finished this episode, especially when remembering what a hard time I had with season 2 (oh, it got so sick of Sam & Max back then, I was in doubt for a very long time whether to buy this new season or not).
  • edited April 2010
    Only my playing sessions are shorter and farther apart due to other obligations. Like, my life.

Classic slowpoke excuse. ;)
  • puzzleboxpuzzlebox Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2010
    Avistew wrote: »
    I think ideally, I would prefer either getting the whole game at once when it's all done (of course there is the option to wait for the DVD for that), or games that are self-containned and unrelated. As in, not part of a single story at all. Even Season one was too "related" for me to consider them standalone episodes.

I'm exactly the opposite - I like the monthly release schedule, and I prefer a story arc that spans the entire season (obviously with a smaller, self-contained story arc within each episode).
    ShaggE wrote: »
    On the other hand, speculation on the forum is an integral part of the TTG experience for me.

And this is probably why. I love the speculation and the community interaction and the way the whole experience is stretched out over the space of several months. It's good fun and plays up to my natural excitability - instead of being excited once for one big release, I get to be excited 5 times over! :D
  • edited April 2010
    I like discussing ongoing games as well, but my problem with the Penal Zone when it comes to community speculation, is that there are so many extras you don't HAVE to encounter in order to finish the game, mostly concerning future vision. I've tried to get as many visions as possible, but the story was so captivating sometimes I moved ahead too fast and thus missed some "clues" as to what might come next.
    ShaggE wrote: »
    Classic slowpoke excuse. ;)

Be careful, or I'll slowly poke you to death! :cool:
  • edited April 2010
    Then play again!

With May creeping in closer I wonder when we get those nutrition specs (if... at all...)
    Be careful, or I'll slowly poke you to death!
    Yay! Slowpokers battle!
  • edited April 2010
    Then play again!

I will, I will! If not for those visions, then at least to propose to Max.
  • edited April 2010
    You missed that? I feel so sorry for you.

I did it 3x in a row after discovering that one :D.
  • edited April 2010
    Yeah, I know. I proposed to the gorilla, Max wasn't around in that scene. I got him back later, and then I just didn't think of it.
  • edited April 2010
    Psy wrote: »
    So a while ago I thought to myself, "We make games with usually 4 acts in 4 weeks, why not split them into 4 games and release on a weekly basis?" Not really as a THIS IS AWESOME thing, but just to think about it. I mentioned it to a friend, and his response was pretty dead on:

TV is moving *away* from the weekly format and toward a more freeform style where people can watch the episode they want to watch whenever they feel like watching it. People are less and less watching episodes as they're on TV and more often waiting for full seasons then watching it all at once or watching them online outside the normal release time. If TV is moving away from its own business model, why would games want to move toward that model?
    Television isn't moving away from producing weekly content, though. It's just changing the way that the content is distributed. Hulu and other internet TV portals have made weekly content accessible for weeks after the initial airing.

Back when television began, episodes of any given show weren't related to each other in any overarching narrative sense. The characters were the same, the setting, and the conventions/formula of the show were the same every week, yes. But if you missed an episode of The Twilight Zone, Lassie, The Lone Ranger, Leave it to Beaver, etc, you weren't going to have missed out on a chunk of the "story". American TV changed, though. Notice that even in today's sitcoms, which were once caper-of-the-week programs, now have character arcs, and it's more obvious now than it was in the 90s(when smaller things would carry over, like the whole Ross/Rachel bit in Friends).

The problem for the television channels is that People Have Lives, and in the modern american world these lives are more and more disparate from each other. Another problem for the TV producers is that there are now hundreds of channels of content, rather than three. The chance for overlap is intense. There's too many shows.

Now, people have been recording TV shows since recordable tapes showed up on the market. TV companies hated this, tried to push it away, but recording TV shows was declared A-OK and has been for ages. DVDs didn't really change anything. Then we got TiVo, and soon after that we had video recording built into cable and satellite boxes as a bonus feature. Windows has had the whole TV recording thing for awhile too.

Watching TV whenever you have the time to, rather than having the television dictate your schedule, has kind of been a "thing" for awhile now. With relatively high bandwidth internet connecctions being relatively widespread, the TV companies finally took control of that in some meaningful fashion. We get Hulu and similar web portals for television content. Cartoon Network, not just Adult Swim but the kids' stuff, has online streaming of episodes. That's how far we've gone.

DVD box sets are an entirely different evolution, but it essentially comes from people not being satisfied with themed compilations or "best of" episode sets, especially when the show is still in syndication. People want more of the show. And the stories we talked about above, people wanted the whole thing. People don't get the "best of" a novel or series of novels, they want the whole story.

The episodes are still produced weekly, and often watched in a roughly weekly schedule. I'll sometimes watch 2-5 episodes back-to-back, but a show that has me actively engaged will get watched around the time it is uploaded onto Hulu or whatever(the afternoon of or the next day or something along those lines). I don't think television is going to move to producing TV movies monthly, and I doubt many people would be very satisfied with the idea. The change in Television's model isn't in production, it's just how it's distributed that has changed to adapt to a change in how stories are being told in the medium, and how MANY stories are being told in it concurrently.
  • edited April 2010
    Games != TV
  • edited April 2010
    taumel wrote: »
    Games != TV
    Not generally, no. You, for example, cannot compare Civilization or Super Mario Bros. to any other form of entertainment. However, the analogy seems quite apt in terms of video game content being delivered episodically. This is especially the case when the content itself is particularly story-heavy, it takes about two to maybe four hours to complete, and is only really experienced once.
  • edited April 2010
    Still it feels quite different. Games are simply games, they work and feel different than a TV Episode, some share more similarities than others but it's still a different thing watching a TV episode and playing a episodic game, at least for me.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.