Physical Copy?

One question nobody has seemed to ask and perhaps I've overlooked is this, do you receive a physical copy for just shipping after it releases?

Comments

• edited May 2010
    It's answered in the FAQ.
    This Puzzle Agent pilot will not include a free DVD.
  • edited May 2010
    Probably not. It's just a single episode, after all. It seems they wouldn't make a physical copy until there are more episodes to put on it. (Be it a full season of it or other pilots).
  • edited May 2010
    jweir wrote: »
    One question nobody has seemed to ask and perhaps I've overlooked is this, do you receive a physical copy for just shipping after it releases?

Answered in the FAQ found here:
    Will I get a DVD with this purchase?
    This Puzzle Agent pilot will not include a free DVD.

Ack, ninja'ed!
  • edited May 2010
    Wapcaplet wrote: »
    Ack, ninja'ed!
    Yeah, people here are incredibly fast to help. If you want to be first, you'll have to be ever vigilant.
  • edited May 2010
    Thanks for the fast replies, I feel silly now, didn't notice the FAQ section. Has me wondering whether I'll get this now, probably yes, but we'll see.
  • edited May 2010
    I normally refuse to get games that don't come with some kind of physical copy, because, well, sometimes I take a really long time to play them, and the company that produces them then goes out of business or decides they just want to produce Star Wars games from now on. With my physical copy, it doesn't matter as much. I think I'm going to make an exception for this one, though, because it's light-hearted, and there's some benefit even if I only ever get to play half of it for some reason.

Plus I can get Sam & Max Season 3 at half price, cheaper than if I don't purchase Puzzle Agent. :)
  • edited May 2010
    Well IF there will be an entire season of this then I definately think there will be a collectors disc and IF that happens, I'm pretty sure the pilot will be included on that.
  • edited May 2010
    They'll retool it after the pilot so Nolan North voices everybody
  • edited May 2010
    You wouldn't want the free DVD anyway. Because it would cost $22 in postage and it would take 12 months for Telltale to figure out how DVD burning works, so you wouldn't get it for ages....
  • edited May 2010
    ^That's a bit harsh^

They already know how to make DVDs. The ToMI DVD is only taking so long because LucasArts has to approve it.
  • edited May 2010
    Fury wrote: »
    You wouldn't want the free DVD anyway. Because it would cost $22 in postage and it would take 12 months for Telltale to figure out how DVD burning works, so you wouldn't get it for ages....

crying-baby-giant-eyes1.jpg
  • edited May 2010
    The Highway, we aren't waiting for Lucas Arts approval, we're just waiting for the duplicators and packaging.
  • edited May 2010
    WarpSpeed wrote: »
    I normally refuse to get games that don't come with some kind of physical copy, because, well, sometimes I take a really long time to play them, and the company that produces them then goes out of business or decides they just want to produce Star Wars games from now on. With my physical copy, it doesn't matter as much. I think I'm going to make an exception for this one, though, because it's light-hearted, and there's some benefit even if I only ever get to play half of it for some reason.

And don't forget the point of the pilot is to get player feedback to determine if the game gets a full season. You're not supposed to pop it aside to play a year or two down the line.
  • edited May 2010
    The Highway, we aren't waiting for Lucas Arts approval, we're just waiting for the duplicators and packaging.
    Also, I would hope they'd do more than simply burn the same install files on a DVD, like they did to Wallace and Gromit. If a wait now means I won't have an indefinitely useless piece of crap like the Wallace and Gromit DVD, then I'll wait. I'd rather not be pissed off by the actual production quality, like I am with that piece of garbage Wallace and Gromit DVD I HATE IT I HATE IT I HATE IT WHY DOES IT EVEN EXIST so I hope to see a really top-notch production for this thing. Will has said that we have a ton of special features on it, so hopefully this disc is going to be awesomeas in the polar opposite of the Wallace and Gromit DVD.
  • edited May 2010
    ^ I was thinking about the same as Rather Dashing. I don't have that infamous disc, but I read the a lot of threads about it and maybe this time decided to work until is really done instead of rushed it.
  • edited May 2010
    Also, I would hope they'd do more than simply burn the same install files on a DVD, like they did to Wallace and Gromit. If a wait now means I won't have an indefinitely useless piece of crap like the Wallace and Gromit DVD, then I'll wait. I'd rather not be pissed off by the actual production quality, like I am with that piece of garbage Wallace and Gromit DVD I HATE IT I HATE IT I HATE IT WHY DOES IT EVEN EXIST so I hope to see a really top-notch production for this thing. Will has said that we have a ton of special features on it, so hopefully this disc is going to be awesomeas in the polar opposite of the Wallace and Gromit DVD.

Put a Strong Bad in there cause It's a piece of crap they didn't do a good job on that one either.
  • edited May 2010
    SBCG4AP wasn't the very best DVD they've ever done, but it was definitely more "good, not great" than it was "bad".
  • edited May 2010
    Well they've been neglecting the care and love they put in their Sam & Max DVDs, so yes Strong Bad was bad but not horrible.

I just hope if they make a Puzzle Agent DVD that it's better made than their others.
  • edited May 2010
    splash1 wrote: »
    Well they've been neglecting the care and love they put in their Sam & Max DVDs, so yes Strong Bad was bad but not horrible.
    It's not as good as their Sam and Max discs, no. But those were EXCELLENT, they excelled. I wouldn't call SBCG4AP a bad release, especially since that doesn't really illustrate well how FAR they dropped when they...I don't really know how to describe the Wallace and Gromit disc's creation process, but I'd certainly make sure to make it sound derogatory if I knew a word angry enough to express how horrendous it is.
    I just hope if they make a Puzzle Agent DVD that it's better made than their others.
    Did you, um, read the rest of the thread? We aren't even getting a Puzzle Agent DVD.
  • edited May 2010

Oh.

Also, the only things I didn't like about the Strong Bad DVD was that there were no cutscenes (so I'm now making them myself with screen capture :D) and they wont rip to my computer without audio/video offset.
  • edited May 2010
    Did you, um, read the rest of the thread? We aren't even getting a Puzzle Agent DVD.

I said if, besides the fact that it's still the beginning; things can change.
  • edited May 2010
    splash1 wrote: »
    I said if, besides the fact that it's still the beginning; things can change.
    The beginning of what? We have literally no indication that we'll get anything other than the first pilot episode, or that it would ever be included on a future Puzzle Agent season DVD.
  • edited May 2010
    Still, Rather Dashing, it's nice to dream... Mmmmm... Dreams are fun...
  • edited May 2010
    The beginning of what? We have literally no indication that we'll get anything other than the first pilot episode, or that it would ever be included on a future Puzzle Agent season DVD.

We do know from Sean Vanaman's blog that they have planned out the rest of the series if it gets greenlit:
    We made a single game — well worth your 9.95 — and depending on how people feel about it — ie: give us yo’ dollars — we’ve got a whole series waiting in the wings. Rest assured that this won’t be some Lost nonsense — we know exactly where this story is going if you deem it so.

(Been waiting for an appropriate time to post this.)
  • edited May 2010

If Puzzle Agent gets picked up for a full season, then there's a good chance of a DVD, which would probably include the pilot. The quality of this hypothetical DVD is being discussed. I don't really understand your aggressive tone.
  • edited May 2010
    jp-30 wrote: »
    I don't really understand your aggressive tone.
    It's Rather Dashing, it's what he does :p
  • edited May 2010
    Didero wrote: »
    It's Rather Dashing, it's what he does :p

In my mind, he's "agressive tone" is a Sarcastic Tone.
  • edited May 2010
    Usually a "pilot" means they intend to create a series of it. Why would it be different here?
  • edited May 2010
    They intend to make a series of it if the pilot proves succesful.
  • edited May 2010
    Based on the fact that they apparently already have a story and all, it seems more like they're planning on making it a series unless it's a total commercial failure.
    Which isn't exactly the same thing.
    I'm sure they'll do every one of their pilots with the intention of making a series out of it. Unfortunately some might just not work, and then it's better for them to lose the money and time invested in a self-contained episode than a whole season.
  • edited May 2010
    Fury wrote: »
    Oh, go fry in a dryer already... :rolleyes:
  • JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited May 2010
    Wapcaplet wrote: »
    We do know from Sean Vanaman's blog that they have planned out the rest of the series if it gets greenlit:

(Been waiting for an appropriate time to post this.)
    It's nice to know they have an idea for the rest of the series if the pilot does well. I really hope this is a success for Telltale, both because I love Graham Annable's art style and strange sense of humor, and because I love the idea behind the Pilot Program. :)

This could very well be like the short cartoons of Pixar where they give people with no directing experience the chance to direct a pilot episode, or even give someone the chance to come up with a game concept. It's a very exciting idea to me. :D
  • edited May 2010
    Surely if this is a success and will be made into a series with more episodes, there will be an upgrade offered to all who bought the first episode (pilot) right?
  • JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited May 2010
    prizna wrote: »
    Surely if this is a success and will be made into a series with more episodes, there will be an upgrade offered to all who bought the first episode (pilot) right?
    Almost certainly. Telltale offers their seasons at an upgrade rate for those who bought one episode for their other seasons. If this does become a whole season I'm sure that Telltale would have an upgrade option for it in their store.
  • edited May 2010
    prizna wrote: »

I doubt it. The upgrade applies to buying one episode of a series, then getting the rest minus the cost of that one episode.

This is a pilot game, which means it's seperate from the normal season structure. If Puzzle Agent gets a full season, the pilot game most likely won't be a part of it, which means that there would be no justification for offering a season upgrade.

Granted in TV the pilot episode is sometimes the first episode in a series run, but normally the general public doesn't see the pilot until the full series airs. In this case, though, we will have all seen (or played) the pilot, which means it is unlikely that a full series would contain the pilot at all.
  • edited May 2010
    Thespis wrote: »
    This is a pilot game, which means it's seperate from the normal season structure. If Puzzle Agent gets a full season, the pilot game most likely won't be a part of it, which means that there would be no justification for offering a season upgrade.
    It seems to me that separating the pilot from the rest of the season would needlessly complicate things.

If the pilot is sold separately from the rest of the season, you would need to make two separate purchases to qualify for the end-of-season DVD (which would likely have both the pilot and the rest of the series on it).

Also, by making an upgrade discount available for the rest of the season, that creates a "special offer" incentive for people who already bought the pilot. Upgrade pricing is a strong marketing tool for Telltale already; they'll probably keep using it for pilots that lead to a full season.
  • edited May 2010
    I don't know. It still makes more sense to me to have the pilot lead to a full series that starts with an episode 1 that isn't the pilot.

We'll see, I guess.
  • edited May 2010
    Thespis wrote: »
    I don't know. It still makes more sense to me to have the pilot lead to a full series that starts with an episode 1 that isn't the pilot.

We'll see, I guess.

Even if that is the case, it makes sense to give pilot purchasers incentive to buy the new season, even if just in the form of a $5 discount or something similar. And there is no doubt any pilot that spawns a full series will be included on the DVD as a bonus.
  • edited May 2010
    Pale Man wrote: »
    Even if that is the case, it makes sense to give pilot purchasers incentive to buy the new season, even if just in the form of a $5 discount or something similar. And there is no doubt any pilot that spawns a full series will be included on the DVD as a bonus.

I never said I didn't think there would be some sort of incentive. I just don't think there will be a season upgrade option.

And, I definitely agree about the DVD.
  • edited May 2010
    If they didn't treat the pilot as if they were to continue the series, it would lead to unpreparedness and a possible lack of quality. I really hope this does well enough for Telltale to carry out their plans for this series.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.