Controls...

I'm tempted to pre-order, but...

Will I be able to play this puzzle game using only a mouse, or will I have to use one hand on the keyboard, another my joystick - if you'll pardon the pun - one foot in the steering wheel & another in the mouse whilst pressing my touchscreen with me nose & doing something else with my backside to feel the "cinematic" "immersion" of "direct control"?

Seems to be a nice mystery game, from what I've seen so far...

Cheers!

Comments

• edited May 2010
    The "answer" to your "question" has been "mentioned" "already". Jake "posted" in this "thread" the you would not "directly" "control" "Nelson" "Tethers", "but" "rather" "you" "will" "interact" with "hotspots" on the "screen".

"Cheers"!
  • edited May 2010
    You'll be able to play using just the mouse.

"Point and Click" and "Direct Control" are often used to describe the means of controlling the character's movement... but in this game, you don't control the character's movement at all. You just click stuff to do stuff in this game, there's no moving around within a screen.

edit: Curses, shouldn't have taken the time to write that extra sentence
  • edited May 2010
    The "answer" to your "question" has been "mentioned" "already". Jake "posted" in this "thread" the you would not "directly" "control" "Nelson" "Tethers", "but" "rather" "you" "will" "interact" with "hotspots" on the "screen".

"Cheers"!

"Thank you."

Being buried as it was, I couldn't find it without thoroughly searching the whole forum & frankly, I couldn't be arsed. Add that I have not played neither of the games Jake mentioned & even if I had found that post, it'd be as useful as finding a light bulb in the middle of the desert. During the day.
    LuigiHann wrote: »
    You'll be able to play using just the mouse.

"Point and Click" and "Direct Control" are often used to describe the means of controlling the character's movement... but in this game, you don't control the character's movement at all. You just click stuff to do stuff in this game, there's no moving around within a screen.

edit: Curses, shouldn't have taken the time to write that extra sentence

Oh yeah? Well, I'll place me order RITE NOW.

And I feel sorry for you taking the time to write that you shouldn't've taken the time to write that extra sentence. It was an extra extra colon sentence when it could've been none at all.

It was nonetheless a very useful post & for that I thank you.

Thank you.

Cheers!
  • edited May 2010
    Gertcha wrote: »
    "Thank you."

Being buried as it was, I couldn't find it without thoroughly searching the whole forum & frankly, I couldn't be arsed. Add that I have not played neither of the games Jake mentioned & even if I had found that post, it'd be as useful as finding a light bulb in the middle of the desert. During the day.
    Jake wrote:
    ...there are objects in the scene Nelson can interact with, but he goes over there on his own once a hotspot is clicked, then goes back to idling around somewhere in the scene.
    Completely removing the "Like Layton or Phoenix Wright" still leaves a completely legible post that fully explains the control scheme without requiring any prior knowledge of either game. Mentioning them at the start of the post only provides extra context for those who have played these games, it is not the entire explanation.
  • edited May 2010
    Yes, well...

I'm sure that would/will make complete sense once I sober up.

We'll talk sometime next week.

But I do thank you for pointing that post out for me.

On an unrelated note & now I'm not talking to you, Rather Dashing - not that I'm not talking to you, I'm just not talking to you right now - not that I'm not talking to you, I'm just not talking to you right now - not that I'm not talking to you, I'm just not talking to you right now... My head hurts... what was I... oh, yeah.

It pains me that I've still not been unbanned & have to log in to ask a question, log out, log in to buy a game, log out & log back in to browse the forums.

It's really annoying & I'd like to politely arsek to be unbanned. Thank you. Lots of love & huggies.

Cheers!
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2010
    Hi there! You play the game with a mouse, moving a cursor around and clicking on hotspots. On the Wii, the game will be played with just the Wii Remote, in pointer mode. On the iPhone/iPad, the game will be played by tapping on hotspots with a human finger, and occasionally using the human finger to drag things around when in puzzles.
  • MarkDarinMarkDarin Former Telltale Staff
    edited May 2010
    Jake wrote: »
    Hi there! You play the game with a mouse, moving a cursor around and clicking on hotspots. On the Wii, the game will be played with just the Wii Remote, in pointer mode. On the iPhone/iPad, the game will be played by tapping on hotspots with a human finger, and occasionally using the human finger to drag things around when in puzzles.

Technically, it doesn't have to be your own human finger, but we prefer it that way.
  • edited May 2010
    So again, no point&click feeling, meh...

Sounds like a reduction from manual shift to automatic shift.
  • edited May 2010
    Sounds like the best way to play a game in this genre.
  • edited May 2010
    Not for me, i like clicking on the ground and let my character walk to different positions on my own.
  • edited May 2010
    MarkDarin wrote: »
    technically, it doesn't have to be your own human finger, but we prefer it that way.

lol
  • edited May 2010
    Jake wrote: »

Thanks. I already pre-ordered the game & took advantage of the discount to buy the first bone & get a proper, legal copy of Secret of Monkey Island SE - seeing as the one you guys sell does not require the use of retarded third-party intrusive software - therefore completing my Telltale POINT & CLICK collection.

I bought it in my other account. The one that's still BANNED. Which forces me to use TWO accounts to browse this site. It's like giving your credit card details to a naughty site & then only visiting the preview section, instead of the members's. 's's.
    MarkDarin wrote: »
    Technically, it doesn't have to be your own human finger, but we prefer it that way.

Really? I find it a bit scary, you saying that to Jake... does that mean every copy of it that you sell for iWhatever, you'll chop of one of his fingers & mail it to the person who bought it, just so they can play the game the way you prefer it?

That's really sick. I hope you guys don't sell more than 15 of those.

Cheers!
  • edited May 2010
    taumel wrote: »
    So again, no point&click feeling, meh...

Sounds like a reduction from manual shift to automatic shift.
    Not for me, i like clicking on the ground and let my character walk to different positions on my own.

Just be happy that this time around, they're not forcing us to use our rectum, in addition to every part of our bodies, to play this game.

I am.

Cheers!
  • edited May 2010
    Just be happy that this time around, they're not forcing us to use our rectum, in addition to every part of our bodies, to play this game.

I am.

Cheers!
    The Raving Rabbids sequel wasn't THAT bad.
  • edited May 2010

Why are you still so butthurt about easy to use controls? No pun intended.
  • edited May 2010
    Maybe because TTG at some point decided to ditch the easy controls for PC users?
  • edited May 2010
    Maybe because TTG at some point decided to ditch the easy controls for PC users?

I like you. You're obviously an extremely intelligent & good looking person.

And I'm just saying this because you agree with me.

I bet if we nag 'em long enough, they'll re-see the light.

I remember their slogan when they started... "we're bringing back point & click adventure games. Love us & pay us, not necessarily in that order."

I paid 'em & loved 'em. It felt so natural. But you all know that there's something wrong with me.

Cheers!
  • edited May 2010
    I bet if we nag 'em long enough, they'll re-see the light.

Dream on.
  • edited May 2010
    Avistew wrote: »
    Dream on.

It's called "delusion", young woman.

Now leave me be.

I'm in my happy place.

Cheers!
  • edited May 2010
    I like you. You're obviously an extremely intelligent & good looking person.

I didn't read the rest and well i do not want to argue against you regarding these points, sorry, i meant, facts. :O)
  • edited May 2010
    It's called "delusion", young woman.

Now leave me be.

I'm in my happy place.

Cheers!

It seems like a happy place, at first.
    But then less and less people show up and you're all alone. You go "Hello?" and nobody answers.
    And it feels very lonely.
  • edited May 2010
    I can't hear you.

I'm looking at the bunnies.

They're jumping over the flower fence.

It's beautiful.

Cheers!
  • edited May 2010
    This is for you, my friend.
  • edited May 2010
    Thank you.

And this one's for you.

Cheers!
  • edited May 2010

Direct control is easier, faster, and more efficient than point and click.
  • edited May 2010
    Pale Man wrote: »
    In my opinion, direct control is easier, faster, and more efficient than point and click.

Fixed.
  • edited May 2010
    Fixed.

If you know what you're doing, it's fact, not opinion.
  • edited May 2010
    In my opinion, Sam&Max click and drag works better than Tales. But still, having to drag the character the whole way to the place I want, whether I end up having to avoid obstacles and go around stuff and stuff that you would consider not knowing what I'm doing, it still slower and less intuitive than clicking directly where I want them to go.
    Still in my opinion.

Don't want to restart one of these annoying debates, though. The way I see it, they're not going to "change their minds", so it's pretty much pointless to complain about it. Click and drag is getting better and maybe someday I'll actually like it as much as point and click. In the meantime the games rock and the guys are doing their best and that's all I can really ask for.
  • edited May 2010
    in the meantime the games rock and the guys are doing their best and that's all i can really ask for.

agree!
  • edited May 2010
    The controls aren't exactly a fascinating point for me, but it is a 2D game so I'm not expecting much from them. For 2D standards, this game is 10/10.
  • edited May 2010
    But still, having to drag the character the whole way to the place I want, whether I end up having to avoid obstacles and go around stuff and stuff that you would consider not knowing what I'm doing, it still slower and less intuitive than clicking directly where I want them to go.

That's why using click and drag is crap, you should use WASD + mouse. You can move the character while mousing around for hotspots etc.
  • edited May 2010
    Pale Man wrote: »
    Direct control is easier, faster, and more efficient than point and click.
    I, maybe surprisingly, disagree.

From a personal point of view i prefer p&c over c&d due to many reasons but when i'm looking at it from a professional cinematic angle then i also see valid arguments speaking for it. c&d definately enhanced in S&MS3 but it still isn't up to p&c, at least imho. Having to use both hands for wasd & a mouse simply is nothing but a big step backward.
  • edited May 2010
    That's why I prefer c&d to wasd+click - I can hold a glass of wine in my non-mouse hand. :)
  • edited May 2010
    jp-30 wrote: »
    That's why I prefer c&d to wasd+click - I can hold a glass of wine in my non-mouse hand. :)
    Come on, you could also use a straw, uahh!

Or involve your partner, force your kids holding the glass, hah, now this is social gaming.
  • edited May 2010
    lol.
  • edited May 2010
    I really don't see why you should use only one hand. Don't most humans have 2 hands? Any problems using both?

Even in games that CAN be totally controlled by mouse, like an RTS, you use the keyboard frequently. If not, you'll likely loose.
  • edited May 2010
    Would you like to brush your tooth also with two hands after mankind invented a solution where one is sufficient already?

Beside of this it seems that you skipped the part that some people use their second hand for something different already.
  • edited May 2010
    Would you like to brush your tooth also with two hands after mankind invented a solution where one is sufficient already?

Man, I didn't know Hassat only had one tooth! Is his name Jean?
  • edited May 2010
    Oh well...

old_man.gif
  • edited May 2010

Beside of this it seems that you skipped the part that some people use their second hand for something different already.

Actually, that would save me a lot of time, using two toothbrushes at once. Thanks for the suggestion.
This discussion has been closed.