Controls...

2»

Comments

• edited May 2010
    I wonder if you will be disqualified if you for instance play tennis or table tennis with two rackets, i guess so or no one wasn't mad enough to try it out.
  • PsyPsy
    edited May 2010
    taumel wrote: »
    I wonder if you will be disqualified if you for instance play tennis or table tennis with two rackets, i guess so or no one wasn't mad enough to try it out.
    *That's* how much better it is to use two hands.
  • edited May 2010
    I think a better analogy would be a single racket that you have to use both hands to use. I mean it's not like direct control means using two different mice that can both accomplish the exact same thing.
  • edited May 2010
    Not automatically because you probably won't do the same thing with both rackets at the same time but their purpose of usage obviously would be the same.
  • edited May 2010
    Not automatically because you probably won't do the same thing with both rackets at the same time but their purpose of usage obviously would be the same.

Right. While if you use WASD+mouse you use your hands for different things (moving vs interacting with stuff), and if you use a gamepad it takes both of your hands at once.

I think a new type of racket that requires both hands would probably be a better analogy. There are the people who got used to it and say it works much better and they couldn't go back, but then there are the people who still prefer it the old way and don't see the point of this new type of racket.
  • edited May 2010
    Generally i'm with you but not fully as sometimes i also use clicking on hotspots as a method for moving the character from one position to another in order to spare myself the c&d or wasd&mouse steering, so in such situations it serves the same purpose.
  • edited May 2010
    Yeah, it's tricky because they allow so may different ways to move so an analogy can't easily apply to all of them at the same time.

I blame the new rule that made it harder to use a normal racket.
  • edited May 2010
    A sport related analogy for control schemes in adventure games. Now I've seen everything :D
  • edited May 2010
    Avistew wrote: »
    There are the people who got used to it and say it works much better and they couldn't go back

That would never happen. Well, unless the racket was made by a company those people are fanbois of. Sheep, even.

An example: Said theoretical company - let's call it Tall Tales - would be able to say things like "As of today, everybody has to eat sardine & cheese sandwiches for the rest of their lives. You get to have beneficial fat, proteins & dairy products in one simple package for YOUR convenience.".

And the sheep would instantly rationalize such appalling command & shout "I like sardines! I like cheese! Therefore, I LOVE sardine & cheese sandwiches" & would parrot Tall Tales selling point to anyone who disagrees.

Leaving only a handful of sane people & maybe one who's slightly insane - and drunk - but who still has some of his wits about him, to shake their heads in disgust at the prospect of having to eat such aberration that defies all natural laws & all that is holy & sacred somewhere.

Cheers!
  • edited May 2010
    Katsuro wrote: »
    A sport related analogy for control schemes in adventure games. Now I've seen everything :D

You didn't let me finish my analogy before you posted. So no, you haven't seen everything.

Cheers!
  • edited May 2010
    The problem with your fanboy theory is that I'm a total fangirl and that doesn't make me like direct control.

Also, maybe you can try and open your mind to the idea that people who have a different opinion aren't inherently stupid sheep. Telltale themselves chose that kind of control because they liked it, I'm sure. They're not choosing something they hate just because they wanna see how far people will go to follow them.

EDIT: by the way, Telltale, you can direct-control me whenever you want.
    RE-EDIT: feel free to point and click me too, though.
  • edited May 2010
    You're not a fangirl, you like their games, like I do. And it breaks your heart to see them ruin them, like I do.

And you called "sheep" stupid, which I didn't. Shame on you.

Cheers!
  • edited May 2010
    Gertcha wrote: »
    You're not a fangirl

:eek:
    I stalk them! I send them creepy packages! I keep hitting on them! How am I not a fangirl?
  • edited May 2010
    @Gertcha
    May i ask which picture comes closer to you? The smaller avatar or the bigger one from the profile?
  • edited May 2010
    I never said you're not a psycho who needs to be put in a mental house for her own & everyone else's safety... sorry it came across that way. :(

I merely said you're not a fangirl, else you'd nod your head to everything they say & instantly hold it as the most sacredest of truths... edes.

Anyways, they need fans like us. It keeps 'em on their toes. And at the thin end of their patience. They can always shout scurrilities at the screen whenever they see yet another "controls" thread.

Humans need adversity to keep 'em sane.

Cheers!
  • edited May 2010
    You're not a fangirl, you like their games, like I do. And it breaks your heart to see them ruin them, like I do.

And you called "sheep" stupid, which I didn't. Shame on you.

Cheers!

How does using more advanced control schemes that can be mastered in less than 5 minutes "ruin" a game? Even if for unknown reasons you think WASD + mouse is awkward (it isn't), that's like saying cereal tastes like crap if you have to eat it with a fork because all your spoons are dirty.
  • edited May 2010
    @Gertcha
    May i ask which picture comes closer to you? The smaller avatar or the bigger one from the profile?

Currently, the largest, because I haven't shaved in a week.

But none comes close to capturing my hotness, cos I'm neither one of these berks.

I do respect 'em, though. I'd even deign to say hello to the one that's still alive. Once.

Cheers!
  • edited May 2010
    Pale Man wrote: »
    How does using more advanced control schemes that can be mastered in less than 5 minutes "ruin" a game? Even if for unknown reasons you think WASD + mouse is awkward (it isn't), that's like saying cereal tastes like crap if you have to eat it with a fork because all your spoons are dirty.

You had me banned. Go away. I'm not talking to you.
  • edited May 2010
    I never said you're not a psycho who needs to be put in a mental house for her own & everyone else's safety... sorry it came across that way. :(
    Avistew... or you?
  • edited May 2010
    Both, actually.

Cheers!
  • edited May 2010
    You had me banned. Go away. I'm not talking to you.

No... your lewd name had you banned, I had nothing to do with that.
  • edited May 2010
    @Gertcha
    Cheers! Who are these guys then?
  • edited May 2010
    The Enemy
  • edited May 2010
    Ronnie Barker in the larger picture, impersonating Chas - of Chas & Dave, a Rockney duo, you might've heard about 'em. If you didn't, there's still time. Look for Gertcha and/or Rabbit on YouTube. Don't forget The Sideboard Song.

For some of Ronnie's work, check out The Four Candles, the Optician & the Hieroglyphs sketch.

In the smaller is Dylan Moran as his most famous character, Bernard Black from Black Books. His stand up "Like, Totally" is the most astounding shite I've seen in ages.

Two comedae jaeniouses.

Cheers!
  • edited May 2010
    I've never heard of them before but i'll have a look. Cheers!
  • puzzleboxpuzzlebox Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2010
    taumel (and everyone else in the known universe and beyond) - definitely check out Black Books, it's one of the best comedy series around.
  • edited May 2010
    You know i really like this accent, dunno if it's Scotish or Irish, where you don't understand a single word in the beginning. Sadly i'm out of Walkers but some Gin will do as well. Oh what a day.
  • PsyPsy
    edited May 2010
    Avistew wrote: »
    EDIT: by the way, Telltale, you can direct-control me whenever you want.
    RE-EDIT: feel free to point and click me too, though.

This thread is going places
  • edited May 2010
    I really don't see why you should use only one hand. Don't most humans have 2 hands? Any problems using both?

Because the non-game-playing hand can be used for holding a glass or a sandwich.

Multitasking ftw.
  • edited May 2010
    Psy wrote: »
    This thread is going places

I think it's a welcome change from going around in circles, though, wouldn't you agree?
  • edited May 2010
    jp-30 wrote: »
    Because the non-game-playing hand can be used for holding a glass or a sandwich.

Multitasking ftw.
    Or a pizza. A bottle of wine/scotch/Jack/beer/etc. Scratching oneself. Pointing at things when you're asked something. "It's over there, now get away from me."

Picking things between your toes, your butt crack, your nose & your teeth, not necessarily in that order. Throwing something out in frustration of not being able to solve a puzzle.

Give the finger to some arsehole who just cut your priority while you were playing, driving & drinking.

Pleasuring your partner.

The list really goes on & on.

Cheers!
  • edited May 2010
    jp-30 wrote: »

Multitasking ftw.

Or you could ... set the beverage/food down, and occasionally pick it up, and during the short time period that you're clasping a sandwich in your slimy paw, rely on hotspot clicking/click and drag? And then clean out your crumb-filled mayonnaise-encrusted keyboard after you're done playing?

It's really not that hard to occasionally pick up a sandwich.
  • edited May 2010
    Or a pizza.
    I've eaten a pizza while playing 301...

OH MY!
  • edited May 2010
    Pale Man wrote: »
    Or you could ... set the beverage/food down, and occasionally pick it up, and during the short time period that you're clasping a sandwich in your slimy paw, rely on hotspot clicking/click and drag? And then clean out your crumb-filled mayonnaise-encrusted keyboard after you're done playing?

It's really not that hard to occasionally pick up a sandwich.

What about an ice cream? Huh?
  • [TTG] Yare[TTG] Yare Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2010
    We're not having this discussion again. There are half a dozen threads scattered around different sub-forums with the same people taking the same sides. Nobody is going to change their mind.

Telltale will use whatever control scheme we feel is appropriate for the story we're telling.
This discussion has been closed.