The Incredible Puzzle Thread

Comments

• edited May 2010
    Loved the hidden people question harald :D Also... you have formal training... in riddles.... WANTWANTWANT

Here's a nice easy by-the-book puzzle:
    You're walking through a rocky landscape (yay I set the scene) when you arrive at a toll bridge. You need to pay 201 gold pieces in order to cross it. There is also a magical monkey king to the side, with 2 boxes in front of him, who offers to play a game with you. He says "give a true statement and you shall be rewarded with the context of box A. Give a false statement and you shall be rewarded with the context of box B. The first, and only the first, thing you say from now on will count. Box A contains....200 gold pieces!!!" You look at box B hoping for something slightly better as the monkey king goes over to it. "Box B contains..." he whips off the lid. "Another 200 gold pieces!!!."

What do?
  • edited May 2010
    What do?
    Say "This sentence is false"?
  • edited May 2010
    Paradoxical statement... I didn't really specify what happens in that case, but likely the king would go into some sort of monkey rage and run away with the moneys.
  • edited May 2010
    i would say "You'e an idiot" and whether he agreed with me or not, i'd get 200 gold.
  • edited May 2010
    You should say "You will not give me the contents of box A.". If he indeed does not, then the statement was true and he ends up breaking his promise. Therefore he must give you the contents of box A. But since that makes your statement false, he must then also give you the contents of box B.
  • edited May 2010
    The puzzle never says you don't have any gold pieces yourself, so you just take the money from one of the boxes, which, added to what you already had, is enough to cross the bridge. Yay loopholes!
  • edited May 2010
    Did you just see that? 47145228.gif47145228.gif47145228.gif47145228.gif

Neat gif! I wish I could do that.
  • edited May 2010
    Well done Harald. Blast your qualifications from riddle school :(

And slowpoke, tisn't a loophole. The riddle also doesn't say that there isn't a pile of gold randomly lying about, or that the bridge can be walked around. In riddles, you should assume that all essential information has been given. If it hasn't, then the riddle is dud.

The mother is 18 years older than the child, in 3 years, she will be 9 times the age of the child. They live in the US. Where is the father
    A) now?
    B) soon?

:)
  • edited May 2010
    She's giving birth right now I'm guessing, so the father is probably somewhere around.

EDIT: since you asked two questions, I guess he's not allowed it, so he's in the waiting room and will soon be by her side?
  • edited May 2010
    i think he is

A) At a bar
    B) Still at a bar
  • edited May 2010
    What is red and invisible?
  • edited May 2010
    A blushing invisible person?
  • TorTor
    edited May 2010
    Communism?
  • edited May 2010
    No tomatoes.
  • edited May 2010
    The mother is 18 years older than the child...
    Doing the math shows that the child is a negative nine months old. So the father has just had sex with the mother, and will presumably soon be in jail for statutory rape.
    jp-30 wrote: »
    What is red and invisible?
    An invisible pink red unicorn? If you're going for a pun on red, then maybe a message written in disappearing ink after it's disappeared, or braille (though braille's hardly invisible). You can't exactly do that in writing though.
  • edited May 2010
    Find a way to edit this image
    scarface.png
    to make it less creepy. In 24 hours. Time starts NOW!
  • edited May 2010
    2vinnud.png
  • edited May 2010
    Now it looks like a woman's behind...

YOU WIN!
  • edited May 2010
    No tomatoes.

Correct.
  • edited May 2010
    That"s the stupidest thing ive ever heard!
  • edited May 2010
    Harald B wrote: »
    Doing the math shows that the child is a negative nine months old. So the father has just had sex with the mother, and will presumably soon be in jail for statutory rape.

I'm not questioning your math at all, as it's incredibly easy to believe mine was faulty.
    However, I don't think the age of the father was stated. If he's younger than the mother, he's not going to end up in prison, is he? And what if he's older but also under 18?

EDIT: still, maybe you can explain. My results were:

mother now: 18
    baby now: 0
    mother in 3 years: 21
    baby in 3 years: 3
    mother in 3 years divided by baby in 3 years: 9

Still, the "soon" might be "in prison" if he's older than she is, but I say the "now" is "in the hospital", no? How do you end up with negative 9 months? What did I do wrong?

With your results I get:

baby in 3 years: 2 years and 3 months
    mother in 3 years: 20 and 3 months
  • edited May 2010
    i hate puzzles that make you do maths
  • edited May 2010
    Here's the math Avistew:
    m       = c + 18
    m + 3   = 9 (c + 3)
    c + 21  = 9c + 27
        -6  = 8c
          c = -3/4

And I admit the puzzle doesn't really give enough information for the soon question; I'm mostly just guessing at the maker's intent there.
    Also, your mistake was in thinking that 21 / 3 = 9. :p
  • edited May 2010
    Harald B wrote: »
    Here's the math Avistew:
    m       = c + 18
    m + 3   = 9 (c + 3)
    c + 21  = 9c + 27
        -6  = 8c
          c = -3/4

And I admit the puzzle doesn't really give enough information for the soon question; I'm mostly just guessing at the maker's intent there.
    Also, your mistake was in thinking that 21 / 3 = 9. :p

Aaah, it's 7 time 3 that's 21. Well, I remembered 3 times something was 21, and 9 times something started with something -1, so I thought it worked out :p

Thanks ^_^
  • edited May 2010
    1+1=?
  • edited May 2010
    1+1=?

3! Remember my riddle? :p

What, I never said I was good at math >.>
    I'm pretty sure I stated several times that I was horrible at it, actually.
    So yeah. I don't know my multiplications.
  • edited May 2010
    I'll accept your answer :p

There's 3 other answers, though...
  • edited May 2010
    MMh... 2, 11 and... 10?
  • edited May 2010
    Intended answer was father now is pretty close to the mother, as the child is -0.75 years old (will be born in 9 months time). Also the father soon will be in front of a jury, as it was in the US and the mother is 17.25 years old.
    Both rely on pretty rigid ideas of the amount of time it takes for a human to go from conception to birth, and whether the US would bother in most cases of almost-18 pregnancies, but I thought it was quite a nice puzzle.

As for 1+1, it = 0. You flick a lightswitch 1 time, and 1 bulb turns on. You flick it 1 more time, and 0 bulbs are turned on. 1+1=0.
  • edited May 2010
    also a window. im surprised no one's said that yet
  • edited May 2010
    As for 1+1, it = 0. You flick a lightswitch 1 time, and 1 bulb turns on. You flick it 1 more time, and 0 bulbs are turned on. 1+1=0.

You give that answer, and 0 Avistew is turned on.
  • edited May 2010
    eew...
  • edited May 2010
    I declare, thaaat... There is no possible answer for that because it makes no absolute sense.
  • edited May 2010
    Here's a curious little one. Not really a logic puzzle, but a question that surprisingly few people get right:

A man drives up to a petrol (gas) station and tells the owner to fill up his car. The owner does so, and starts talking. "Not seen you round here before, you travelling?" "Yeah," the man replies. "Seeing my brother for the first time in ages." "He's not from that town over there is he?" asks the owner, pointing to a small collection of houses just ahead and off the main road. "Nope." "Good!" exclaims the owner, finishing off filling the car. "I'd rather serve two cars from anywhere else than have to serve one from that place." The man thinks about it for a second. "Makes sense."

Why did the owner feel that way?
  • edited May 2010
    Attachment not found.

Insert the numbers 1 through 8 on the drawing. The numbers on the squares adjacent to the square where you inserted the number can't be the numbers after or before the number you insert. For example, if have the 4 on the centre, you can't have either 6 or 3 on the squares adjacent to it.
    Attachment not found.
    Attachment not found.
  • edited May 2010

?

EDIT: and I don't get the gas one. I'd think it was better filling up two cars than one anyways. But apparently it isn't. So I'm just confused. Maybe he's lazy?
  • edited May 2010
    Here's a curious little one. Not really a logic puzzle, but a question that surprisingly few people get right:

A man drives up to a petrol (gas) station and tells the owner to fill up his car. The owner does so, and starts talking. "Not seen you round here before, you travelling?" "Yeah," the man replies. "Seeing my brother for the first time in ages." "He's not from that town over there is he?" asks the owner, pointing to a small collection of houses just ahead and off the main road. "Nope." "Good!" exclaims the owner, finishing off filling the car. "I'd rather serve two cars from anywhere else than have to serve one from that place." The man thinks about it for a second. "Makes sense."

Why did the owner feel that way?

Well, of course the man would rather serve 2 cars than 1! It doesn't matter where they're from, they're still 2 customers instead of 1! He gets twice the money!
  • edited May 2010
    My method for this was to put the "best" numbers in the middle, then work the rest out from there. I think this is right:

_64
    _53
  • edited May 2010
    Neelo wrote: »
    Well, of course the man would rather serve 2 cars than 1! It doesn't matter where they're from, they're still 2 customers instead of 1! He gets twice the money!

Yeah, I thought that too, but why specifically from that town? Why is he glad the cousin isn't from there due to that? It doesn't make sense.
  • edited May 2010
    Okay, I have one. It's kinda famous but maybe you guys don't know it.

A) How do you make 4 equilateral triangles with 6 matches?
    B) How do you make 8 equilateral triangles with 6 matches?

EDIT: B) was eight, not six, I typed it wrong the first time. Sorry!
Sign in to comment in this discussion.