The Incredible Puzzle Thread

Comments

• edited June 2010
    Oh, sorry, I totally missed that post. I guess we posted at the same time or something? Sorry Javi. And everyone else for leading you to believe the answer was something else.
  • edited June 2010
    Cut XII lengthwise?
  • edited June 2010
    When is a cucumber undeserving of being a cucumber?
  • edited June 2010
    Cut XII lengthwise?
    That's it

There's another, an easy one:
    The chemist and his daughter, the doctor and his wife, ate nine pears and they got three each.

(Sorry if the sentence is a bit odd, it's the translation from the Spanish poem for the riddle)
  • edited June 2010
    The chemist's daughter is the doctor's wife.

(Three times three is nine, right? I got it right this time?)
  • edited June 2010
    You're right.
  • edited June 2010
    This is what bamse has done:
    [IMAGE]
    I followed his instructions XD It does work. Just not especially nice, and the triangles are different sizes, and two matches cross.

Thanks. I didn't have anything handy for creating a proper image before, but I have installed gpaint now.
    Avistew wrote: »
    Well, bamse gets credit for figuring out a new solution.

Yay! :) Thank you.
  • edited June 2010
    The chemist's daughter is the doctor's wife.

(Three times three is nine, right? I got it right this time?)

Surely it could also be that the daughter is the doctor and the wife belongs to the chemist? Granted it would also indicate poor punctuation, but I'm allowing that to pass!
  • edited June 2010
    Myrph wrote: »
    Surely it could also be that the daughter is the doctor and the wife belongs to the chemist? Granted it would also indicate poor punctuation, but I'm allowing that to pass!

I guess, but I went with the one that doesn't require me to assume bad punctuation was used :p I mean, you'd say "the chemist, his daughter the doctor, and his wife" in a case like that. I can't imagine why you'd have an extra "and".
    So I assumed there was one "right" solution that was also "tricky" and combined the two decidedly feminine words (daughter and wife) as one person.

My first thought was that the doctor was the daughter and she had a wife, but it said "his wife" so I scratched the idea, and put the daughter/wife as the same person with an indeterminate job.
  • edited June 2010
    What is wrong with this picture?

halved-cucumbers21.jpg
  • edited June 2010

halved-cucumbers21.jpg

No... but... no-one would EVER do that. They're *insane*! Blasphemous!
  • edited June 2010
    You didn't answer the question
  • edited June 2010

No way I'm quoting that...
    It's mere existence. Oh my...
  • edited June 2010
    It's mere existence. Oh my...

You need to provide a specific detail
  • edited June 2010
    It's so terrible I can't say it, The Highway... okay, I'll try... cucumber cut l-l-l... I can't! I just can't! It's inhumane, I almost fainted when I saw that picture...
  • edited June 2010
    What are you all so worked up about? It's just a bunch of cucumbers cut lengthwise, with their tips removed. That's not even a puzzle.
  • edited June 2010
    Oh, the horror!!
  • edited June 2010
    Hahahahahaha! LOL! Who would cut a cucumber lengthwise? Tee hee ha hoo ho... *snort* titter titter giggle hee hee hoo... Ohhh... *sigh* Lengthwise... Tee hee...
  • edited June 2010
    Didero wrote: »
    What are you all so worked up about? It's just a bunch of cucumbers cut lengthwise, with their tips removed. That's not even a puzzle.

You obviously havent played 302
  • edited June 2010
    That picture needs to go in the disturbing art thread. Even though it has nothing whatsoever to do with Monkey Island.
  • edited June 2010
    You obviously havent played 302
    Actually, I have. I just don't have the exact same opinions on what's weird and what's not as a nonexistent gypsy mole woman :)
  • edited June 2010
    Didero wrote: »
    Actually, I have. I just don't have the exact same opinions on what's weird and what's not as a nonexistent gypsy mole woman :)

Oh no you didn't!
  • edited June 2010
    Ok. So there's a 10x10 grid. You and another player play a game.
    The first player to play places a coin on any square on the grid, and then each player on his turn moves the coin either up, down, left, or right.
    The first player to place the coin on a square that was already played, loses.
    Are you first to play or second, and which technique will you use to win?

To be honest I don't know the answer to this one but my math teacher will give me a chocolate bar if I solve it! So gimme the answer!

Edit: Oh, and B) 11x11 grid
  • edited June 2010
    NeatNit wrote: »
    Ok. So there's a 10x10 grid. You and another player play a game.
    The first player to play places a coin on any square on the grid, and then each player on his turn moves the coin either up, down, left, or right.
    The first player to place the coin on a square that was already played, loses.
    Are you first to play or second, and which technique will you use to win?

To be honest I don't know the answer to this one but my math teacher will give me a chocolate bar if I solve it! So gimme the answer!

Edit: Oh, and B) 11x11 grid

Quick question: Does the first player to play place the coin *and* make the first move, or is placing the coin his 'move' and the second player gets to make the first move?
  • edited June 2010
    Not solved B yet, but here's A:

Split the whole grid up into 2x2 squares. Imagine 1 of these 2x2 squares.
    If your opponent is the first to move into a square ("crossing off" one of the boxes) then you have another square to go to. If your tactic is then to stay within that square, then we are left with a 1x2 rectangle that's not crossed off - if your opponent goes in one square, you can always go to the other.

So, if your opponent is the first one in a 2x2 square, you move to another square in that 2x2
    If your opponent crosses off the third square in a 2x2, you cross off the fourth.

This way, you always have a move, and so the opponent must lose, if you are the person who crosses off the second square. If the first player places and then moves, then this method means the first player wins, if the first player places, then second player moves, this method means the second player wins.

It works for all nxm where n and m are even.
  • edited June 2010
    First player only places the coin.

I'm going to have to see if that works... :)
    good job
  • edited June 2010
    Think I've solved B as well. The important thing to be familiar with is the idea that winning in this game is the same as avoiding loss.
    OK for the 11x11 board. Imagine the 10x10 board cut away from it. We already know that it is impossible to lose on that bit of the board if we follow the rules for it set out in A. We are left with an L shape. Or a 1x11 rectangle and a 1x10 rectangle. Split the 1x10 rectangle into 5 1x2 domino shapes. Whenever he goes on one of the 1x2 squares, you go onto the other. You can never lose on that 1x10 rectangle.
    For the 1x11 rectangle, do the same, and you're left with 1 square left over.
    To win, be the first player and choose that square first.

To sum up, on mxn grids with even numbers, second player wins.
    On mxn grids with odd numbers, first player wins, by chosing a corner square to start on.
  • edited June 2010
    Good job! That's the right answer (which by the way I figured out earlier today :P)!
  • edited June 2010
    Heres a riddle I just learned(might be easy but dont care)

Its a 7 letter word
    it preceded God
    it is greater than God
    it is eaviler than the devil
    poor people have it
    rich people need it
    and if you eat it you die.
  • edited June 2010
    If I say the answer, you wouldn't know if I'd solved the riddle or not. :p
  • edited June 2010
    If I say the answer, you wouldn't know if I'd solved the riddle or not. :p

That actually does sound like you know the answer to my riddle.
  • edited June 2010
    I know the answer too, but I had heard it before. Well, minus the first two hints.
  • edited June 2010
    I can't figure it out :(
  • edited June 2010
    I can think of nothing that answers your riddle, Gman.
  • edited June 2010
    Klatuu wrote: »

I have to ask, did you do that on purpose?
  • edited June 2010

Of course! :D
  • edited June 2010
    Of course! :D

I am glad you did that on purpose or that would have been wierd.
  • edited June 2010
    Gman5852 wrote: »
    I am glad you did that on purpose or that would have been wierd.

Maybe they would have asked "do what on purpose?" to which I probably would have said "oh, nothing".
  • edited June 2010
    Maybe they would have asked "do what on purpose?" to which I probably would have said "oh, nothing".

I was worried what you had said in quotes might reveal the answer but it turned out you revealed nothing(ok people you are now idiots if you cant solve it by now.
  • edited June 2010
    Allright, I have one:

Sam goes into a clothing store with the intention of buying a new coat. However, he doesn't know his size, and there are, let's say 2,000, different coat sizes in the store. What is the minimum number of times Sam has to take a coat off before he finds one that fits him? All coats in the store have tags on them denoting the sizes. And, just so you know, this is the Sam I mean:

250px-sam__max.png
    Lagomorph not included. His brain is gone!

So, in summary:

Sam go to store
    How many times must he take off coats to find his size?
Sign in to comment in this discussion.