I would buy a Back to the Future adventure game game made by Telltale...

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_GAMES_UNIVERSAL_STUDIOS?SITE=INLAF&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/06/09/ap/celebrities/main6563657.shtml

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100609/ap_on_en_ot/us_games_universal_studios

According to the Associated Press, Back to the Future IS GETTING THE EPISODIC TREATMENT AS WELL, COURTESY OF TELLTALE! :eek:
"'Jurassic Park' and 'Back to the Future' are two of our broadest and most beloved properties," said Bill Kispert, interactive vice president at Universal Studios. "We were very interested in bringing them into the interactive space, but they're not exactly the kind of properties that lend themselves to the stereotypical shoot-'em-up style of gameplay."

Connors said the games, which are in the early stages of development, would tell new stories extending the "Back to the Future" and "Jurassic Park" lore. He teased that the "Back to the Future" games may include a DeLorean ride back to the 1970s while the "Jurassic Park" games would be intense and add new backstories to the series' man-versus-dinosaur mythology.

"The games are going to exist within these worlds," said Connors. "I wouldn't call these games sequels per se but a new interpretation of their worlds for a new medium. For one generation, it's an introduction to these series. For another generation, it's a thing they can look back on and something they can share warmly with their family and friends."

Excuse me, I think I need a new pair of pants.

EDIT: Dominic Armato to voice Marty McFly plz.

Comments

• edited June 2010
    Oh my. OH MY. OH MY!
    Best news since TOMI. Telltale keeps gratefully surprising me.
  • edited June 2010
    http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_GAMES_UNIVERSAL_STUDIOS?SITE=INLAF&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

According to the Associated Press, Back to the Future IS GETTING THE EPISODIC TREATMENT AS WELL, COURTESY OF TELLTALE! :eek:

Excuse me, I think I need a new pair of pants.

EDIT: Dominic Armato to voice Marty McFly plz.
    Back to the future? Do want. They could do a different time zone for each episode!

And They could still get Michael J fox to voice marty. Afterall, he's still acting.
    Doc Brown on the other hand...
  • edited June 2010
    Macmooglex wrote: »
    Oh no! An adventure game? Based on a MOVIE? SUXXXOR!!!

I'm having flashbacks from the nineties. "Indiana Jones? As a point and click game? THAT WILL SURELY SUCK!". ;)

Yeah, you're right. Last Crusade and Fate of Atlantis are two of the best adventure games I've ever played. Their adventure game classics.
  • edited June 2010
    Friar wrote: »
    Back to the future? Do want. They could do a different time zone for each episode!

And They could still get Michael J fox to voice marty. Afterall, he's still acting.

Christopher Lloyd is still acting. He's looking pretty good as well, it seems he's barely aged since BttF. Hopefully Telltale get the original cast back.
  • edited June 2010
    Oh wow, I just recently watched most of these films. Back to the future I'll get instantly. Jurassic Park, well... have to see how that plays. There's potential for amazingness in both though.

Pale Man wrote: »
    jeff gold game gone gold blast game gold gold game gold jeff bloom gold jeff bloolm gold jeff game gold jeff game there be gold game jeff got game that gold game jeff got game jeff god games interactive jeff cool
    Thanks, I was waiting for that the whole thread. :D
    (See Idle Thumbs to get the joke. Or wait for Video Games Rodkin to say something about it)
  • edited June 2010
    Christ almighty. I...I think I need a glass of water...

Telltale, I have never loved you so much.
  • edited June 2010
    Friar wrote: »

Or they could make it like Day of the tenticle where you can alter history to help you advance in the future
  • edited June 2010
    YES!! I LOVE Back to the Future. Telltale has shown us that they can work with timetravel with "Chariot of the Dogs" so that wont be much of a problem. My only real question now is will BttF and Jurassic Park be presented story wise. Will they be what the studio wants or does Telltale get creative license to write their own stories ala: Tales of Monkey Island. I will say this though: Between S&M: The Devil's Playhouse, the Pilot Program and these new Universal projects I've got to say 2010 will be a HUGE year for Telltale games. :cool:
  • edited June 2010
    http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5h5nxzcnlNVZIOXev0Elw-ub182YgD9G7MFF80

What. the. fuck?

:D

(Thanks Kroms, for the heads-up at Mojo).

Those Telltalers must have been loving today's 'other NBC Universal franchises' discussion...

Edit: Like everyone else I'm hoping for, but not expecting Michael J Fox & Lloyd Bridges to do voiceovers. If they're not available, there was always the cartoon voices...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOcUMAv2Rp0

I don't think David Kaufman is doing much. And whatever happened to Dan Castellaneta? :p
  • edited June 2010
    NO...FREAKING...WAY...

YYYEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!
    :D :D :D :D :eek: :guybrush: :winslow:

And YES...if Michael J. Fox is unavailable, Dominic Armato would be the next best choice!
    Absolutely over the moon about this, Telltale. You've been slowly moving up over the years, bringing adventure games back into the limelight, and now with Back to the Future and Jurrassic Park, it's gonna multiply tenfold, possibly for EACH project!
    I'm proud of you guys.
    The adventure game era has returned...
  • edited June 2010
    O.o Back to the future, now there is something i could enjoy VERY VERY much ! :D

And we must have Christopher Lloyd and Michael J. Fox for voice ABSOLUTELY! xD
  • puzzleboxpuzzlebox Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2010
    greatscott400.png
  • edited June 2010
    And I did my first thread split (moving BttF stuff out of the JP thread, and merging my own BttF thread with these earlier posts).

Woot!
  • edited June 2010
    puzzlebox wrote: »
    greatscott400.png

Oh man you beat me to this! I so told a friend yesterday after the Jurassic Park announcement if Telltale ever did a BTTF game I was gonna post that. Hahaha nice. :D
  • edited June 2010
    Wow this is a big surprise! Let's hope we see some artwork/screenshots next week at E3!
  • edited June 2010
    Boo.
  • edited June 2010
    What?

I suppose you don't want a hoverboard either?
  • edited June 2010
    well played sirs, well played. I am buying the heck outta this :D
  • edited June 2010
    Whatever you do, DON'T go back to the ice age. The last thing we need is Doc Brown saying "I WAS FROZEN TODAY!"
  • edited June 2010
    Holy crapoli. That's two of my favourite films... can't wait!

What's the betting Marty goes back to the Jurassic period so they can reuse character models from Jurassic Park? ;)
  • edited June 2010
    Oh Man!! You guys are doing games about two of my favorite movies?? Incredible! I hope you guys do a good job in recreating the feel and atmosphere of these movies. And I wonder how many of the original voice actors you will be able to get.

Wonderfull news, I'll buy these games ASAP!
  • edited June 2010
    I wonder if the size of the game will be at least "1.21" gigabytes and hope they download quicker than "88MBph"
  • edited June 2010
    Did I ever tell you that this was one of the adventure games I always wanted, but would never get?
  • edited June 2010
    You know what I really want now. For Purcell or Jones to paint the cover art for the DVDs.
  • edited June 2010
    Holy Crap! YES! The best part for me is that I know several friends who are finally going to be introduced to Telltale almost certainly because of this.
  • edited June 2010
    I can see it more than the Jurassic Park one.
  • edited June 2010
    As I already said on mixnmojo:

WOW.

Just... WOW.

:D
  • edited June 2010
    One thing does cross my mind; while people are clamouring for Christopher Lloyd and Michael J Fox - and I'd love to see both, but we'll have to see how it pans out - it's worth bearing in mind that there was a third crucial role. Well, fourth, after the Delorean: Biff. Tom Wilson has worked on games before, and he's already established as a voice artist on top of being an actor. I wonder if there's any chance of getting him involved too.
  • edited June 2010
    I have been waiting for a proper Back to the Future game for years. These are my favorite movies and the old games that were made simply shouldn't count as games at all. In saying that, I can't say I'm super excited about this news. The interview mentions that the movie doesn't make for a shoot em up video game experience and then goes on to mention going back to the 70's instead. Why can't the games follow the movie storyline? They are right, it isn't a shoot em up game at all, it's an adventure game. They apparently agree with this since they are discussing going back to the 70's. I'm not saying you can't throw extra things in, almost all video game adaptations do, but to completely ignore the story and write your own is a great injustice to the original storyline and what would be an easy to love game. It doesn't make sense anyway. You have a story that millions of people love and would love to re-live as Marty via videogame yet you would rather ignore it and start from scratch? A game based on the movie would be incredible fun. Can I make it to school on time with my skateboard, make it to the mall on time to do the experiment with Doc, outrun the Libyans, get away from the Peabodies after I crash into their barn and so on until I make my parents kiss with a rhythm mini game at the dance and then help doc get me to 88 mph and back in 1985? To make it longer you could even include the 1st 2 movies so that you could enjoy helping Griff get arrested instead of Marty Jr. in the future all the way to going back to the past and escaping from Biff with the Sports Almanac since I'm sure plenty of people would love to use a hoverboard. The stories intertwine anyway so you could meld the two together. Telltale, please reconsider making a movie based game and not your own based on the simple idea of time travel in a Delorean. If anyone else feels this way, please voice your opinions.
  • edited June 2010
    mclem wrote: »
    One thing does cross my mind; while people are clamouring for Christopher Lloyd and Michael J Fox - and I'd love to see both, but we'll have to see how it pans out - it's worth bearing in mind that there was a third crucial role. Well, fourth, after the Delorean: Biff. Tom Wilson has worked on games before, and he's already established as a voice artist on top of being an actor. I wonder if there's any chance of getting him involved too.

I agree with this.
  • edited June 2010
    dinga6969 wrote: »
    I have been waiting for a proper Back to the Future game for years. These are my favorite movies and the old games that were made simply shouldn't count as games at all. In saying that, I can't say I'm super excited about this news. The interview mentions that the movie doesn't make for a shoot em up video game experience and then goes on to mention going back to the 70's instead. Why can't the games follow the movie storyline? They are right, it isn't a shoot em up game at all, it's an adventure game. They apparently agree with this since they are discussing going back to the 70's. I'm not saying you can't throw extra things in, almost all video game adaptations do, but to completely ignore the story and write your own is a great injustice to the original storyline and what would be an easy to love game. It doesn't make sense anyway. You have a story that millions of people love and would love to re-live as Marty via videogame yet you would rather ignore it and start from scratch? A game based on the movie would be incredible fun. Can I make it to school on time with my skateboard, make it to the mall on time to do the experiment with Doc, outrun the Libyans, get away from the Peabodies after I crash into their barn and so on until I make my parents kiss with a rhythm mini game at the dance and then help doc get me to 88 mph and back in 1985? To make it longer you could even include the 1st 2 movies so that you could enjoy helping Griff get arrested instead of Marty Jr. in the future all the way to going back to the past and escaping from Biff with the Sports Almanac since I'm sure plenty of people would love to use a hoverboard. The stories intertwine anyway so you could meld the two together. Telltale, please reconsider making a movie based game and not your own based on the simple idea of time travel in a Delorean. If anyone else feels this way, please voice your opinions.

No, basically. If they were going to be games following the films, they'd be limited in the amount of creative license they'd be able to take with it. Half the problem with film-based games is that they try to stick too closely to the game and the result is hamstrung and boring.

Anyway, it's way more Telltale's style to do new stories with an established franchise. That's what they've done with everything else they've picked up, so why not this?
  • edited June 2010
    puzzlebox wrote: »
    greatscott400.png

Beat me to it! ...but I think it deserves to be quoted again. :D

I'M EXCITED. I love Back to the Future (even more than Juraissic Park!) and this could be really cool.
  • edited June 2010
    I don't understand why you'd want a game that follows the movie faithfully. You'd know the story, you'd know how to solve the puzzles, what would be the point of playing? It would be like re-making the movie, expect not at good.

By choosing a different story they'd at least be able to make us care about it. Plus the things you described are a bit gimmicky, to be honest. Mini-games dumped in here and there when the movies would have allowed for it, not an adventure story.

I'm personally not thrilled by the idea anyways. I liked the movies, and I thought they were self-sufficient and didn't need anything to be added to them. At this point, I seriously don't think I'll buy either this one or the Jurassic one. They feel to me like a way to get money from famous licenses so that they can afford to take more risks with stuff like the pilots (which I'm more likely to buy).

Of course we don't really know anything, maybe it will look interesting and I'll want to get it anyways. At this point though, any announcement that isn't an original IP just makes me sigh.
  • edited June 2010
    Wow guys, thank you for making this game! This is really something unexpected. I think I love you now.
    Whatever you do, DON'T go back to the ice age. The last thing we need is Doc Brown saying "I WAS FROZEN TODAY!"

What? With this game the Telltale Team have become my gods! If they make Doc to say "I WAS FROZEN TODAY" (Nostalgia Critic style) they will officially become... more than gods for me!
  • edited June 2010
    Avistew wrote: »
    I don't understand why you'd want a game that follows the movie faithfully. You'd know the story, you'd know how to solve the puzzles, what would be the point of playing? It would be like re-making the movie, expect not at good.

By choosing a different story they'd at least be able to make us care about it. Plus the things you described are a bit gimmicky, to be honest. Mini-games dumped in here and there when the movies would have allowed for it, not an adventure story.

I'm personally not thrilled by the idea anyways. I liked the movies, and I thought they were self-sufficient and didn't need anything to be added to them. At this point, I seriously don't think I'll buy either this one or the Jurassic one. They feel to me like a way to get money from famous licenses so that they can afford to take more risks with stuff like the pilots (which I'm more likely to buy).

Of course we don't really know anything, maybe it will look interesting and I'll want to get it anyways. At this point though, any announcement that isn't an original IP just makes me sigh.

Gone are the days of people saying "I'd love to buy the next product from Telltale and help support their future endeavors because they're a great company!", eh?

Then again I don't expect anyone to buy something they just plain don't care about. I just find it amusing.
  • edited June 2010
    This pleases me in a way that I do not wish to post on a public forum

You gotta wonder if they'll actually have anything left to pull out of the bag at E3, and maybe they do, and what will it be?
  • edited June 2010
    Is it what this page hints at?
  • edited June 2010
    Gone are the days of people saying "I'd love to buy the next product from Telltale and help support their future endeavors because they're a great company!", eh?

EDIT: Then again I don't expect anyone to buy something they just plain don't care about. I just find it amusing.

They're not going to need my support if they make mainstream stuff like that :p Probably going to get lots of new customers. However, I bought Puzzle Agent even though I'm not interested in it, because it's part of the Pilot project and I want to support that.

I don't know, there used to be all these insane "Telltale should make a "insert famous stuff" game" threads, and every time I thought "thank God telltale would never do that", and now there are the reality.
    Plus it comes from a very downhill experience for me, where I've been less and less satisfied with telltale (as a company, not the people) as time goes by, so I'm less likely to trust them now than before.

I'll probably still make plushies.
  • edited June 2010
    Avistew wrote: »
    I'll probably still make plushies.

At least you remembered what truly matters.
  • edited June 2010
    Back to the Future is one of my absolute favourite movie series' of all time. Jurassic Park seems like a great idea too, though it's a little harder to understand how that one will work. This just seems perfect.

It'll be very interesting to see how they handle it, I know it was said it won't just be a retelling of the movie, but I assume it'll use the same characters but in a new situation. Perhaps like a TV series.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.