The Voice Actor Discussion Thread

edited December 2010 in Back to the Future
Hopefully they can get a hold of the original cast like they did with Ghostbusters. I'm not sure about Michael J Fox, but I'm pretty sure Christopher Lloyd and Tom Wilson would be fairly easy to get on board.

Comments

• edited June 2010
    xChri5x wrote: »
    Hopefully they can get a hold of the original cast like they did with Ghostbusters. I'm not sure about Michael J Fox, but I'm pretty sure Christopher Lloyd and Tom Wilson would be fairly easy to get on board.

They can get all of them. Trust me.
  • edited June 2010
    Since Micheal J Fox, primarily does VA now.
  • edited June 2010
    I want Tim Curry to finally be in something made by TTG. I keep typing this in the hope that one day (however unlikely) it might happen! :)
  • edited June 2010
    Actually, from the looks of it, Christopher Lloyd has done many cartoon voice acting, he'll probably be in this. As for Michael, well... I have my doubts.
  • edited June 2010
    Michael J Fox is a pretty cool guy, so I could see him being on board with this.
  • edited June 2010
    The only thing that worries me is that if they get Lloyd and Fox is that this could possibly affect the quality of the graphics... Something die-hard BTTF fans wouldn't probably like. I could live with it, but that's the only thing that worries me. Same goes with JP.
    Apart from that, I'm super excited for BOTH projects! Go Telltale!
  • edited June 2010
    Trenchfoot wrote: »
    The only thing that worries me is that if they get Lloyd and Fox is that this could possibly affect the quality of the graphics... Something die-hard BTTF fans wouldn't probably like. I could live with it, but that's the only thing that worries me. Same goes with JP.
    Apart from that, I'm super excited for BOTH projects! Go Telltale!

I would think NBC Universal would probably be willing to pay their salaries to preserve the integrity of their franchise. ...but then again given the situation with Cone Bone, maybe not.
  • edited June 2010
    Pale Man wrote: »
    Michael J Fox is a pretty cool guy, so I could see him being on board with this.

Yeah, on this board.

35-2T.jpg
  • edited June 2010
    Michael J Fox is a must, its not Back to the future without him, and also Christopher Lloyd, they make Back to the Future
  • edited June 2010
    I just hope it doesn't pick up after the animated series, or Back to the Future Part III. I didn't really like Clara, that also goes for the actor.
  • edited June 2010
    They are all 3 a must, i really think it comes down to 2 things, 1. Do they wanna do it, 2. Can telltale afford it, again i have no ideas how much such actors usally charge, but i just somehow doubt you offer these guy 50.000$ and thats it.

Like say Futurama the cartoon, that series almost got canned or well the new movies, because the voice actors wanted insane salaries, then when they canned them and started to look for other people, then suddenly they were fine with their pay.

Maybe they could even lure them to post on the forum :D if they get them aboard for the series, that would just be beyond beyond anything else having a Q/A with them xD /dream.

But we can only hope and see what TIME brings.
  • edited June 2010
    Gryffalio wrote: »
    I want Tim Curry to finally be in something made by TTG. I keep typing this in the hope that one day (however unlikely) it might happen! :)

Oh, you'd be surprised! Tim Curry pops up where you least expect him! Books on tapes and whatnot. And he's done games before! He was Dr. Frankenstein in a point and click adventure game called Frankenstein some years back. You end up chasing around a castle with the fear that Tim Curry is going to jump out, knife you in the back, and involve you in one of his horrific experiments. Kind of horrible graphics, but kind of brilliant fear factor, being Tim Curry and all. I've developed an irrational fear of Tim Curry ever since! j/k Actually, I think he's brilliant.
  • edited June 2010
    And he's great in the two Gabriel Knight games he did. Ooh and Toonstruck.
  • edited June 2010

I could see him in Jurassic Park more than I could BTTF actually. He just has that feeling of either a great villain, a sneaky villain, or a scientist or something. Although something tells me his character would get eaten.
  • edited June 2010
    Man if Christopher Lloyd can sink to this, then we'll be fine.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2G4Y_IaKTI&feature=related
  • edited June 2010
    Micheal and Christopher have really unique voices and it would be really hard for anyone else to pull it off convincingly.
  • edited June 2010
    Billy West.
  • edited June 2010
    Billy West.

He can do anything. I think he's a wizard.
  • edited June 2010
    Irishmile wrote: »
    Micheal and Christopher have really unique voices and it would be really hard for anyone else to pull it off convincingly.

The animated cartoon voices were fine;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOcUMAv2Rp0

And someone's mentioned the Atlantis movie sequel where his character Milo was voiced by someone else.

Due to their interesting and unusual voices, they're probably easier to mimic than most.

But yes, great if we got Fox & Lloyd, but I'm sure if we don't the replacements will be good.
  • edited June 2010
    I don't like sound-a-likes. There are very little nuances in the original actor's voice that just can't be captured by impersonation.
  • edited June 2010
    I don't like sound-a-likes. There are very little nuances in the original actor's voice that just can't be captured by impersonation.

You must not have liked Sam and Max, Wallace and Gromit, or Monkey Island then, since they replaced actors in each of those games.
  • edited June 2010
    Monkey Island had all the same actors pretty much. All the important ones, anyway. Either way, I guess it could work with sound-alikes. But I don't see any reason why the original actors couldn't do it. Especially seeing as they love doing voice work.
  • edited June 2010
    Monkey Island had all the same actors pretty much. All the important ones, anyway. Either way, I guess it could work with sound-alikes. But I don't see any reason why the original actors couldn't do it. Especially seeing as they love doing voice work.

Well, Lechuck in episode 1, as well as human Lechuck, weren't the original actors, and neither were Stan or the Voodoo Lady. They're all fairly significant characters, imo.
  • edited June 2010
    That's true. But really, it makes sense why they had a different voice actor for human LeChuck, and they also replaced the 1st episode with Earl Boen (as of course you know).

But anyway, I'll still be excited.
  • edited June 2010
    That's true. But really, it makes sense why they had a different voice actor for human LeChuck, and they also replaced the 1st episode with Earl Boen (as of course you know).

But anyway, I'll still be excited.

Yeah, but Earl Boen has provided the voice for
    Fester Shinetop and Charles L. Charles
    previously, so it would've been fitting for him to play human Lechuck, also. Not that Kevin Blackton's performance was anything less than spectacular. :)
  • edited June 2010
    You must not have liked Sam and Max, Wallace and Gromit, or Monkey Island then, since they replaced actors in each of those games.

Actually, I still prefer the original voice actors of Sam and Max. I mean it's Kyle Katarn and Goofy!
  • edited June 2010
    Nimeni wrote: »
    And he's done games before! He was Dr. Frankenstein in a point and click adventure game called Frankenstein some years back. You end up chasing around a castle with the fear that Tim Curry is going to jump out, knife you in the back, and involve you in one of his horrific experiments. Kind of horrible graphics, but kind of brilliant fear factor, being Tim Curry and all. I've developed an irrational fear of Tim Curry ever since! j/k Actually, I think he's brilliant.

Funnily enough I could imagine that happening in real life :D
    I could see him in Jurassic Park more than I could BTTF actually. He just has that feeling of either a great villain, a sneaky villain, or a scientist or something. Although something tells me his character would get eaten.

It's because he's English, isn't it? We're not all supervillains you know! :p

I agree, though. But of course with BttF we don't know when it will be set. And evil Englishmen don't need an excuse to turn up in random places!
  • edited June 2010

I loved all three, myself.
    Didn't mind about S&M one bit, but with Wallace & Gromit and MI it did take the shine off ever so slightly.
  • edited June 2010
    It's because he's English, isn't it? We're not all supervillains you know! :p

I agree, though. But of course with BttF we don't know when it will be set. And evil Englishmen don't need an excuse to turn up in random places!

Oh don't they?
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited June 2010
    Yes, we all want Fox and Lloyd.
    Also, I want Wilson, Thomson and actually TOLKAN!

BTTF's unique quality was the "ensemble" character. Whenever they went, you'd meet more or less the same character, possibly another person played by the same actor (The same thing actually happens to the time machine, which has "incarnations" in differing time periods). And doesn't Telltale rely on exactly those qualities in their episodes, recurring characters and possibly only attaching a beard to depict a different one?

If this "ensemble" quality can not be retained through original voice actors, I'd really rather have different, new characters. I wouldn't be crushed if this happened. Getting all these actors on board would make an incredibly expensive game, that's plain reality. I'm pretty sure TTG can not pull that off. If they'd get Lloyd in the boat, that would actually be achievement enough for me.
  • edited June 2010
    I dont know if anyone has seen it but David Spade does a very good Michael J Fox impression.
  • edited June 2010
    No. If Marty McFly isn't going to be voiced by Michael J. Fox himself, the one and only alternative is Dom Armato.
  • edited June 2010
    No. If Marty McFly isn't going to be voiced by Michael J. Fox himself, the one and only alternative is Dom Armato.

Which sounds like a mickey-take, but if they can't get the voice of Marty, then they should charicature it rather than going with a soundalike who will just disappoint people by getting some of the subtleties wrong.
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited June 2010
    Which sounds like a mickey-take, but if they can't get the voice of Marty, then they should charicature it rather than going with a soundalike who will just disappoint people by getting some of the subtleties wrong.

...AND sounds like Guybrush Threepwood. Duh! :D
  • edited June 2010

I'll be disappointed if Dominic Armato doesn't do it.
  • edited June 2010

And who says that Armato does an impeccable Fox impression? Your own fanboyism? Seriously, how does anybody know that Armato would do a good Fox impression?
  • edited June 2010
    I don't want him to do a Fox impression. I just think his voice would sound cool on the character.
  • edited June 2010
    That doesn't mean it would be suited for Marty McFly. I'm sorry, I don't want Armato anywhere near Marty.
  • edited June 2010
    That's one for and one against! Now let's see. According to my calculations....Great Scott!
    Why...this means.....absolutely nothing.
  • edited June 2010
    I'm just trying to understand why anyone would want this...I don't see it.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.