The Voice Actor Discussion Thread

Comments

• edited October 2010
    Spykes wrote: »
    As unfortunate as it is, I just think his voice has changed too much because of the disease and the natural effects of age that 25 years has on a person. I think the game will be better off getting someone who can do a great Marty / MJF circa 1985 impression.

That said, it would still be nice to see Michael J Fox involved in with the game,

This was a problem with Alexandra Boyd's VO for Elaine in ToMI last year. The game got away with it, but at times she seemed more liked Guybrush's mother than his other half. That said, MJF was integral to the BTTF series so I think he would get more leeway in his voice-acting, especially given he has a disease which might accentuate problems with his voice-acting.
    doodo! wrote: »
    But most people would be so cruel and judgmental of his part, they'd say rude and nasty things about him. It's not worth subjecting him to that.

"I just don't think I can take that kind of rejection!" ;-)

MJF is a grown man and Parkinsons hasn't affected his IQ. I'm sure he could weigh up the pros and cons, including ignorant internet trolls, and decide whether it was worth doing.
  • edited October 2010
    I really hope MJF does the voice of Marty..at least that he does partial voice work for the game with someone as a double, but the only other person I can see coming close to Michael J. Fox is James Arnold Taylor. I'm not sure who watched the Scream Awards on Spike but Michael looked and sounded great. More importantly, I just feel that it's crucial that Thomas F. Wilson voice Biff Tannen one last time. I feel that with the film's 25th anniversary, re-release to the big screen and video game in the works, that the cast is nostalgic and Telltale needs to capitalize on that lol.. Please voice Biff, Tom!!

I'm so psyched for this game!
  • edited October 2010
    More importantly, I just feel that it's crucial that Thomas F. Wilson voice Biff Tannen one last time. I feel that with the film's 25th anniversary, re-release to the big screen and video game in the works, that the cast is nostalgic and Telltale needs to capitalize on that lol.. Please voice Biff, Tom!!

<looks left>

<looks right>

<posts it>

Behold Tom Wilson's "response" to your request.
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited October 2010
    So, we're finally done with the Michael voicing Marty discussions, aren't we? ;)

Now we can focus on Tom, Lea, Crispin, James... and Flea! :D
  • edited October 2010
    Man, the guy they got for Marty's voice is amazing. It's dead on. Even better than James Taylor Arnold.
  • edited October 2010
    So, we're finally done with the Michael voicing Marty discussions, aren't we? ;)

Never! Now we can speculate about who will play Old Marty in 2015! Will it be James Arnold Taylor, or AJ LoCascio, or MJF in a single-episode cameo role? :p
  • edited October 2010
    "Getting Michael J. Fox and Christopher Lloyd involved was very important."

Huh?

"We got his likeness but not his voice."

Oh. It'll be James Arnold Taylor then.

"It's not James Arnold Taylor."

Oh.

"It's a new guy who sounds EXACTLY like Marty McFly."

WOOHOO! :D

Also, Telltale, since you can afford James, get him to be in Tales 2 for the long-awaited return of Largo LaGrande. ;)
  • edited October 2010
    I'd love if MJ Fox had just one scene where he was talking to his sound a like.
  • edited October 2010
    I was disappointed when I heard it's not someone who actually sounds like MJ Fox, like Eddie Murphy or Gilbert Gottfried. They already made a mistake of casting Christopher Lloyd, who sounds nothing like Christopher Lloyd, instead of Miley Cyrus, who is perfect for Doc Brown.
  • edited October 2010
    I love how, if things work out, AJ LoCascio is going to be a household name around here from now on, if not with BTTF fans and adventure gamers too. It reminds me of Dominic Armato. I get the feeling this kid will work with Telltale again in the future outside of Back to the Future.
  • edited October 2010
    I was really impressed with AJ Locascio's impression, this will be a great game.
  • edited October 2010
    I have to admit, I was just a bit worried about who would voice Marty, knowing Michael J. Fox was probably not going to be able to do it, but yeah, I've got to agree with everyone else, Telltale really knocked it out of the park by finding and hiring AJ. Amazing.

More importantly, this gives me hope (perhaps false hope, but hope nonetheless) that Telltale has been able to find near-perfect voice doubles for other non-returning cast members as well.
  • edited October 2010
    I have to say I'm more surprised that they didn't go with James Arnold Taylor than I am that they didn't get Michael J. Fox. Still this new guy seems like he'll work out pretty well, and I've learned to trust Telltale's choices for voice actors by now. (Though I'm still really not a fan of the lady they got for the Voodoo Lady in Tales Of Monkey Island.) Here's holding out hope that they'll get Tom Wilson for Biff/any other members of the Tannen family who might show up.
  • edited October 2010
    Teeth wrote: »

Also, Telltale, since you can afford James, get him to be in Tales 2 for the long-awaited return of Largo LaGrande. ;)

Yes, that is the best idea ever.
  • edited October 2010
    I like their choice. The only thing is that Michael J Fox seems to have a slightly more nasal sound, but the voice is incredibly close. It's hard to get a voice match so well.

It reminds me of so many cartoons made live-action where the replacement guy was one of these guys that did impersonations, but the guy only could do it for a few lines.

I especially love that he's a completely new talent. He also seems to do a pretty decent Jack Sparrow.
  • edited October 2010
    Although I like AJs voice clips a lot, he still has to prove that he can "act" new Marty-material. It's one thing to copy the lines of a professional actor by repeating them until they sound like in the movie... but actually playing the same character in a new story with new lines of dialogue in new situations is a whole different thing.

Still, if Telltale has confidence in him, he's probably the right guy.
  • edited October 2010
    I guess the only real VA we need confirmation on now is Tom Wilson as Biff.
  • edited October 2010
    Although I like AJs voice clips a lot, he still has to prove that he can "act" new Marty-material. It's one thing to copy the lines of a professional actor by repeating them until they sound like in the movie... but actually playing the same character in a new story with new lines of dialogue in new situations is a whole different thing.

Still, if Telltale has confidence in him, he's probably the right guy.

Already heard one. The "unusual" one. Sounded great. And he wasn't even yelling.
  • edited October 2010
    we can only hope Monkey ... we can only hope ....
  • edited October 2010
    Marty sounds amazing... I knew TTG wouldn't let us down... But I am so pleased that he sounds better than I imagined it could be without Micheal.
  • edited October 2010
    When I heard AJ do the Marty impressions, I was flabbergasted.

It was so amazingly dead on, that I envy what people can do with their voice and I can't impersonate anyone.
    (Ok that is a lie, I can do a mild Scooby Doo laugh, but I never really got anyone to confirm) :p

But yes, he will do nicely. I will not be able to hear the difference what so ever! :D
  • edited October 2010
    Aj is actually pretty good . but somethings off , well at least from the part from the behind the scenes clips, some bits are pretty spot on , but others doesnt feel right. hopefully the end product is as close as possible to mj fox's voice.

just wondering ... does anyone else think parts of his voice acting is a bit off ??

lol . the behind the scenes clip one at the end when doc says "its so wonderful to see you, we have allot of catching up to do" i shed a tear .
    its been way too long ~
  • edited October 2010
    What bits do you think don't sound right?
  • edited October 2010
    well its hard to say, i first notice it in that scene where martys yelling at doc from outside is garage about the idea of the flux capacitor the way he used his voice, its not marty for the second half of the cound clip(mp3) 1st half "doc you gotta listen to me" was great i got me really surpised but the 2nd half was a bit off, i guess i going off how it sounds in the movie. but then i listened to the end of clip three. marty kinda sounds like the character randel from the movie "clerks". but im only going off a few seconds of audio.
  • edited October 2010
    but AJ when he yells its passes off as marty in my opinion. only when he doesnt yell sounds a bit iffy. but i'll eat my words if im wrong. but i could just be crazy. everyone else seems to think it sounds like marty perfectly :S . but im not angry or sad . im jsut nit picking .
    im totally over te moon that this game is nearly out.

btw , anyone who likes bttf stuff!
    MATTEL landed the licence to make action figures, accessories and toy vehicles.
    this could mean A REPILCA OF THE BTTF MATTEL HOVERBOARD could be MADE !
    no new thou if they will make one or not ... but its the only logical thing to do right?
    got info from here
    http://www.bttf.com/mattel-lands-license-for-bttf-action-figures-accessories-and-toy-vechicles.php
  • edited October 2010
    I don't care if he doesn't sound 100% like MJF, he's extremely close to it, and with Telltale's historically magnificent voice direction behind him, I know he will deliver a fantastic performance.
  • edited October 2010
    He's the closest thing they could ever get. Stop whining.
  • edited October 2010
    Anyone else see the short reunion of the cast on the Today show today?

It was great seeing them all together again.

Michael J. Fox looked very, very well. His Parkinson's was barely evident. In fact, I bet someone who tuned in and didn't know about his condition wouldn't have guessed at all. I guess that's just medication, though, but I really hope it's not too long before a cure can be found.

I'm a little concerned about Christopher Lloyd, however. I could barely make out what he was saying. He sounded a bit like Marlon Brando did in his later years. I'm a little concerned about his voicework for the game. Don't get me wrong, I love the guy, but if I can't understand what he's saying then I'm pretty much lost, especially in an adventure game.
  • edited October 2010
    damn, this aj is awesome. thumbs up.
  • edited October 2010
    slickie wrote: »
    Michael J. Fox looked very, very well. His Parkinson's was barely evident. In fact, I bet someone who tuned in and didn't know about his condition wouldn't have guessed at all. I guess that's just medication, though, but I really hope it's not too long before a cure can be found.
    How Parkinson's patients are varies on a day-to-day basis. The medication is actually what allows them to move semi-normally, and if they don't take it, it becomes more and more difficult to move. The shaky motion people attribute to Parkinson's is actually from the medication.
  • edited October 2010
    The shaky motion people attribute to Parkinson's is actually from the medication.

No, it's not.
  • edited October 2010
    Well, Michael J. Fox himself said that the jerky movement people associate with his Parkinson's is actually more the medication's fault than the actual disease's.

Maybe it differs from person to person.
  • edited October 2010
    If you're a fan of MJF I can really recommend his autobiography Lucky Man which, of course, deals with his whole life and movie career and especially his illness. Still he wrote the book quite optimistically and with a lot of humor (and while the it was written in 2002, you can still see those qualities in Fox today).
  • edited October 2010
    slickie wrote: »
    Well, Michael J. Fox himself said that the jerky movement people associate with his Parkinson's is actually more the medication's fault than the actual disease's.

Maybe it differs from person to person.

Oh, are you talking about the stilted walking? I assumed we were discussing the tremors.
  • edited October 2010
    jp-30 wrote: »
    Oh, are you talking about the stilted walking? I assumed we were discussing the tremors.
    Yeah, I was definitely unclear and used bad wording.
  • edited October 2010
    sorry that im whinning a lil . i just love bttf ~ all time favourite movie .
    AJ is close to the voice of MJ fox , but i disagree with people to it being 100% prefect and unoticeable. i hope the end product is as close as possible it can be ~
  • edited October 2010
    jk0720 wrote: »
    i hope the end product is as close as possible it can be ~

guess what? thats the reason telltale hired this guy.

im pretty sure, if telltale would have lied to us and told us "mjf is doing the voice acting!" no one of you guys would have noticed a difference and all were "yeah, great, blabla, awesome, blub".
  • edited October 2010
    Cyphox wrote: »
    no one of you guys would have noticed a difference and all were "yeah, great, blabla, awesome, blub".
    Wanna bet they'll be eager to find faults with the voice once EP1 is out! :rolleyes:
  • edited October 2010
    Cyphox wrote: »
    guess what? thats the reason telltale hired this guy.

im pretty sure, if telltale would have lied to us and told us "mjf is doing the voice acting!" no one of you guys would have noticed a difference and all were "yeah, great, blabla, awesome, blub".

I don't know. While AJ sounds perfect when shouting, and I definitely would not be able to tell the difference, the speaking clip from the end of the third video is off in my book, and something I would have, and indeed did, pick up on immediately. I'd really need to hear more to know for sure. What I'd really like to hear, though, is James Arnold Taylor's audition tape. I've never heard a real, serious attempt from him of the voice. The clips I've seen have been from his stage show where he is obviously caricaturing the voice for comedic effect. I don't really know which of the two would be a better fit. I'd have to have at least a few minutes of audition recordings of both, but what I do know is that I didn't feel the speaking part at the end of the third making of was quite as great as the shouting parts.
  • edited October 2010

people real fans of the movie could tell . actually real mj fox fans would know. hes got a very distinct voice.

and orusaka has similar beliefs as me . shouting = good not shouting = not so good.similar but not fully there.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.