The Voice Actor Discussion Thread

Comments

• edited October 2010
    Yeah, there is a distinction between the two. It's probably completely bearable, though it's not Michael J. Fox.
  • edited October 2010
    Of course AJ sounds much more like Marty than MJ Fox would be able to do.
  • edited October 2010
    ...AND sounds like Guybrush Threepwood. Duh! :D

It's me marty mcfly mighty timetraveller :P .
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited October 2010
    You enterin' the thread LATE! ;)

But I'm so glad someone still reads all that stuff we wrote months ago.
  • edited October 2010
    I think AJ's voice will be totally fine in-game. If Telltale were using near-photorealistic graphics, and had a perfect likeness of MJF speaking with a voice that was close-but-not-quite, then it would be pretty unsettling, but for a cartoon Marty I think the little differences in the voice will be very easy to overlook.
  • edited November 2010
    wow this guy is pretty good. he isnt PERFECT, but thats just because no one can be MJF. He is good enough, and hopefully will fine tune his craft a bit for the final product.

I also just wanna say I really appreciate telltale having a transparent approach to this game and engaging with fans. Hopefully it will bode well for the game!
  • edited November 2010
    Give A.J.'s new voice acting demo reel a listen. It's pretty amazing!

http://vimeo.com/14778690
  • edited November 2010
    Thanks for sharing that!
  • edited November 2010
    He gets bonus nerd points for using a line directly from The Killing Joke in his Joker impression.
  • edited November 2010
    JP-30 and LuigiHann both made very good points.
    Namely that AJ would probably do a better Marty than M.J. Fox now and that the distinction in AJ's voice works with the distinctive art-style.
    But the truth is, he's beginning to resemble the real voice more and more.

For the people that are worried he only sounds like Marty when he's shouting, all I can say is play the Blitz in Time Bejeweled time.
    There are two lines in there by AJ: "Flux capacitor...umm...fluxing" and "Wait a minute doc are you......out of a DeLorean?!"
    With these lines his voice is closer to the real thing than it has ever been before.

But in my own opinion I don't really care. I thought the guy was great from the beginning. Again there probably is no better alternative not even M.J Fox if you're expecting a 1:1 Marty voice. So let's all be happy. :D
  • edited November 2010
    I don't know if this has been brought up, but IMDB is reading that Tom Wilson is doing Biff.
    I know Telltale hasn't confirmed a Biff voice actor yet, but have they denied that Tom is in?

Also, I know IMDB isn't a carved in stone source, but it's still something... Usually they put a "(Rumored)" beside the listing if it's not yet confirmed.
  • edited November 2010
    ^
    Wow if that is true lol.
    But it could also be credited because of the used likeliness.
    But yeah, would be sick if he did the voice.
  • edited November 2010
    xChri5x wrote: »
    I don't know if this has been brought up, but IMDB is reading that Tom Wilson is doing Biff.
    I know Telltale hasn't confirmed a Biff voice actor yet, but have they denied that Tom is in?

Also, I know IMDB isn't a carved in stone source, but it's still something... Usually they put a "(Rumored)" beside the listing if it's not yet confirmed.

IMDb is almost as unreliable as wikipedia, unfortunately. :(
  • edited November 2010
    IMDb is almost as unreliable as wikipedia, unfortunately. :(

I think of IMDb as slightly less reliable than Wikipedia, because Wikipedia is much easier for someone to fix when it's wrong.
  • edited November 2010
    Please, for the love of God, no more back and forth about the legitimacy/illegitimacy of Wikipedia and/or IMDB.
  • edited November 2010
    Okay :D

Back more on topic, I sort of wish I hadn't seen that video of AJ doing his Marty impression. Now whenever I hear voice clips I always picture AJ instead of Marty. Hopefully that won't be an issue in the game, since I'll be looking at Marty
  • edited November 2010
    Please, for the love of God, no more back and forth about the legitimacy/illegitimacy of Wikipedia and/or IMDB.

Or you will be banned!
  • edited November 2010

The insiders know the answer to the question about Biff's voice actor from the recent dev chat. I doubt any insiders would mind, several days later, if you shared that info and put the speculation to rest.

But I guess you have a timeline / reveal thing for when you share info with the two groups.

(Oh, and if you're not an insider and you need to know NOW, pre-order and read the dev chat thread in the insider forum) :p
  • edited November 2010
    xChri5x wrote: »
    Or you will be banned!

Touché!
  • edited November 2010
    I asked Tom Wilson on his YouTube channel if he's involved in the game and he said he hasn't been contacted in any way.
  • edited November 2010
    I asked Tom Wilson on his YouTube channel if he's involved in the game and he said he hasn't been contacted in any way.

If that's the case... that is just sad.
  • edited November 2010
    ^Wow it's reaaaallly sad! Especially because a reaction like that suggest he might've done it.
  • edited November 2010
    Relax guys, knowing Telltale's tight schedule, he could be called tonight and be recording his lines tomorrow for all we know.
  • edited November 2010

I think it's just cool that he replied. It shows he actually cares somewhat.

I think.
  • edited November 2010

I think.

Yeah but the given answer is kinda sad.

They didn't even ask .. ?
  • edited November 2010

I think.

Don't think! Feeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeel........................
  • edited November 2010
    Aw, he could've done the question song... :(
  • edited November 2010
    Someone must've contacted him or his agent to ask about his 'likeness' - unless his original contract states his likeness can be used by default?
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited November 2010

Do you actually have an original quote for this?
  • edited November 2010
    Do you actually have an original quote for this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwY5o2fsG7Y
    I love this song, are you involved in any way with this new Back to the Future videogame that's coming out soon?
    @McSuperfly101 No, not in any way. Clearly, they're shooting for an inferior product.

He doesn't specifically say that he was never contacted, just that he isn't involved in any way. I'm also having trouble telling whether he's being sarcastic (or at least joking around) or not, honestly.
  • edited November 2010
    Do we know for sure that Biff is actually going to be in the game?
  • edited November 2010
    I imagine he was being sarcastically conceded as a joke.
    Do we know for sure that Biff is actually going to be in the game?

He has to be he is just as important as the rest of the cast.
  • edited November 2010
    ^
    Judging from some artwork in the Bejeweled Blitz Game there are two Biffs confirmed.
    1985 Auto Garage Shop Biff and another alteration.
  • edited November 2010
    LuigiHann wrote: »
    I'm also having trouble telling whether he's being sarcastic (or at least joking around) or not, honestly.

Judging from the types of riffs he does during his standup set, I'm sure "inferior product" was a good-natured joke.
  • edited November 2010
    I would love to get Telltale's official word about this whole situation. Doubt we will though. :(
  • edited November 2010
    Relax guys, knowing Telltale's tight schedule, he could be called tonight and be recording his lines tomorrow for all we know.

..i highly doubt that's how a game company works. but okay.
  • edited November 2010
    I guess all the recording has been done already for ep 1.
    But somehow though....I think there might be a surprise waiting for us.
    It could be that TellTale asked Tom Wilson to be a secret.
    This is because of 3 reasons:

1)Why wouldn't they approach him? TellTale could've always taken a shot
    Judging by the comment Tom wouldn't be too reluctant about doing it.
    2)When it comes to the voice acting of Biff no info has been released about this.
    No mention in Q&A's with developers. Okay, the same goes for Lorraine and George but at least those have been mentioned for other reasons. With Biff it's as if they want to keep it a surprise because knowing Tom Wilson's position towards the franchise no one is expecting him to be in it.
    3)He has been credited at IMDB for it. This could mean nothing, or it could.
  • edited November 2010
    Origami wrote: »
    I guess all the recording has been done already for ep 1.
    But somehow though....I think there might be a surprise waiting for us.
    It could be that TellTale asked Tom Wilson to be a secret.
    This is because of 3 reasons:

1)Why wouldn't they approach him? TellTale could've always taken a shot
    Judging by the comment Tom wouldn't be too reluctant about doing it.
    2)When it comes to the voice acting of Biff no info has been released about this.
    No mention in Q&A's with developers. Okay, the same goes for Lorraine and George but at least those have been mentioned for other reasons. With Biff it's as if they want to keep it a surprise because knowing Tom Wilson's position towards the franchise no one is expecting him to be in it.
    3)He has been credited at IMDB for it. This could mean nothing, or it could.
    Based on what we were told in the Insider Forum during the BTTF Team chat, it's highly doubtful Tom Wilson is top secretly doing the voice. (Don't know how specific I'm supposed to get out here in the public forum.) And if he was secretly involved, I don't think he would have flat out said "No, not in any way" in his YouTube comment.

The only rational reason I can think of for Telltale not to approach Tom Wilson at all is that their budget only allowed them to get one original cast member, and they chose Christopher Lloyd (and, quite honestly, if it came down to a choice between Lloyd and Wilson, I would have chosen Lloyd, too). However, if that's not the reason, then the real reason better be a damn good one. And the new Biff voice better be damn good as well. Like, AJ LoCascio good.
  • edited November 2010
    After listening to Mj's book, and watching a few episodes of Spin City, I ...

Really don't see how Aj sounds like MJ O_o ...

I mean, it's the same kind of voice, but now when I'm listening to AJ, he sounds like... well, AJ. I'm not gonna deny the shouting sentences kinda sound like marty (and Jerry Seinfeld, really, check it out ;D ), but the regular sentences aren't really close. MJ's voice is much softer than that.

Though, it's still a great voice for Marty, and he seems to be a very good voice actor.
  • edited November 2010
    If they stick to mostly to Biff ancestors/descendants, and not actual Biff himself, then a different voice could still make perfect sense anyway.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.