The Voice Actor Discussion Thread

Comments

• edited December 2010
    They still managed to make him look like Crispin Glover though ;)
  • edited December 2010
    Only problem I have with the voice is that it kind of sounds like wimpy, insecure pre-BTTF1 (or rather, pre-time disruption) George. Not that it will kill the game or anything for me. And besides, I'm sure he's not a major character; I doubt you see much of him (if any), after you start time-traveling.
  • edited December 2010
    Jace Taran wrote: »
    Only problem I have with the voice is that it kind of sounds like wimpy, insecure pre-BTTF1 (or rather, pre-time disruption) George. Not that it will kill the game or anything for me.
    Hmm. New-timeline George only had a couple of lines in the movie, really, so it'd be tough to compare, but he's still the same person. The only thing coming to mind is when he's nagging Biff about waxing the car, and he still had the same sort of wavering quality to his voice even in his superior role.
    And besides, I'm sure he's not a major character; I doubt you see much of him (if any), after you start time-traveling.

I don't know, in my experience, there are no minor roles in Telltale games. If they modeled, animated, and cast a character, they're going to reuse him. If they're setting up this George McFly in the present, I'm guessing we'll at least be seeing a McFly Ancestor with a strong resemblance at some point either in this episode or a later one. Although I suppose in that case, any differences in delivery won't matter too much since it's supposed to be a different person... In fact, it'll be interesting to see how similar they go with any past-doppelganger characters.
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited December 2010
    Why thanks Mr. BTTF.com. :D

I'll merge this with the voice actor discussion thread. ;)
  • edited December 2010
    Speaking of Crispin Glover he is in a film I just bought called "Hot tub Time Machine"... Just saying hehe
  • edited December 2010
    According to BTTF.com, Tom Wilson; the man who everyone pretty much knows his as Biff, has not been asked by Telltale yet about him returning to voice Biff Tannen in the game(s).

http://bttf.com/telltale-releases-first-trailer-to-back-to-the-future-the-game.php
  • edited December 2010
    Doc Brown wrote: »
    According to BTTF.com, Tom Wilson; the man who everyone pretty much knows his as Biff, has not been asked by Telltale yet about him returning to voice Biff Tannen in the game(s).

http://bttf.com/telltale-releases-first-trailer-to-back-to-the-future-the-game.php
    It seems strange that Telltale wouldn't have consulted Tom Wilson as they have always attempted to get the proper actors, to make it as authentic as possible.
  • edited December 2010
    ^
    Well.....who knows....maybe they'll contact him. Ep. 2 lines aren't spoken in judging from AJ's interview with AVGN. It will also be released after a full 2 months from ep. 1.
    AJ said that recording his lines took around 2 days. Who knows....
  • edited December 2010
    Masta23 wrote: »
    Speaking of Crispin Glover he is in a film I just bought called "Hot tub Time Machine"... Just saying hehe

OMG, that WAS him! Too bad it wasn't a better movie. lol
  • edited December 2010
    OMG, that WAS him! Too bad it wasn't a better movie. lol
    Yes Crispin Glover was the guy with one arm.
    I thought the movie was okay.. it was entertaining enough.
  • edited December 2010
    Was I the only one bothered by Young Docs voice? It sounded too rough to me especially because he would be only 11 at that time.
    edited December 2010
    It looks like they'll contradict the futurepedia timeline just a little. Everything works just as well if Doc's 15 or 16 in '31.
  • edited December 2010
    Was I the only one bothered by Young Docs voice? It sounded too rough to me especially because he would be only 11 at that time.

Yeah right, cauz that's only thing that would be weird for a 11 years old. The fact that he's twice as tall as Marty and the fact that he almost looks like a young adult is no problem here.
  • edited December 2010
    If he's 16 why couldn't Marty just go to 1936, I just find it a bit of a push that the Doc from '85 is 70.
  • edited December 2010
    I think Telltale may be trying to match up 1986/"present day" Doc Brown's age with Christopher Lloyd's actual age, making him 71 or 72 (depending on Doc's birthdate), possibly because of Lloyd's older sounding voice. Making 1931/"young" Doc 17 or 18, around Marty's age. Which is how he looks and sounds to me in the trailer. Just guessing, though.
    I just find it a bit of a push that the Doc from '85 is 70
    Why? Don't forget about the rejuvenation clinic, which added years to his life.
  • edited December 2010
    Well the guy who does george's voice is.. Michael X. Sommers.
  • edited December 2010
    markeres wrote: »
    Why? Don't forget about the rejuvenation clinic, which added years to his life.

The problem I have with it is that the Doc doesn't look or act frail as a 70 year old in the first film and what I was originally saying was that I'm dissapointed by the voice.
  • edited December 2010
    The problem I have with it is that the Doc doesn't look or act frail as a 70 year old in the first film
    Christopher Lloyd is 72 now and he doesn't look or act frail. Hell, Jack LaLanne is 96 and he could probably kick my ass. :D
    and what I was originally saying was that I'm dissapointed by the voice.
    Which voice: old Doc or young Doc?
  • edited December 2010
    Young Doc
  • edited December 2010
    With all due respect but him being 16 in 1931 is actually far more plausible.

It would mean that Doc is 41 in 1955. Which looks to be accurate. He never came across as a 30'er to me.

And 71 in 85 is not unlikely. Just look at Leslie Nielsen(R.I.P). He was 72 when he played in wrongfully accused. Looks very similair to how Doc looks. And he was fit as hell.

They probably discussed his age with Bob Gale during production.
    TellTale probably wanted to visit an era in which Doc is the same age as Marty.
    So TellTale probably consulted Bob after they presented this idea and then Bob gave them an according time-era
    edited December 2010
    There's no real need to adjust the timeline. Doc supposedly was 65 in 1985 and we may assume that he needed seven years to get two children and raise them to the age that we've seen Jules and Verne. So Lloyd is 72 and Doc as well...
  • edited December 2010
    There's no real need to adjust the timeline. Doc supposedly was 65 in 1985 and we may assume that he needed seven years to get two children and raise them to the age that we've seen Jules and Verne. So Lloyd is 72 and Doc as well...
    But that would still make Young Doc (who is original pre-time-traveling Doc) 11 in 1931. Which he clearly isn't in the game.

I'm more inclined to go with Doc being 71-72 at the start of BTTF, and the rejuvenation clinic adding years to his life, so he could be chronologically in his 80s or 90s, but still act and seem like a 70-year-old.
  • edited December 2010
    ^
    Again, I think it was sanctioned by Bob and his idea thus him basically confirming Doc is 71 in '85.

I think it went like this:
    TellTale came up with the idea to let Marty visit an era where Doc is the same age as him. Great idea plot-wise imho.
    Then they consulted Gale and asked him out Doc's age and Gale probably recommended it to take place in '31 rather than '36.
  • edited December 2010
    Now that has another thread, I was wondering what people thought of Young Docs voice?
  • edited December 2010
    I thought it was great, but I can't help but think Christopher Lloyd could have just as easily pulled it off. It doesn't sound all that far from him either. I digress. JAT is doing a fine job.
  • edited December 2010
    Ryusuke wrote: »
    I thought it was great, but I can't help but think Christopher Lloyd could have just as easily pulled it off. It doesn't sound all that far from him either. I digress. JAT is doing a fine job.

It would have been a lot more dialog for Christopher Lloyd to record and it would have taken quite a bit more time for the audio guys to add the filters and processors on to those tracks to make his voice sound younger. Seems like a much more economical choice to just bring in a great voice actor like JAT who can do everything with little to no vocal processing needed.
  • edited December 2010
    The young Doc Brown voice is amazing! It's really him, only younger =)
  • edited December 2010
    I'll have to listen to Young Doc more before I have an opinion, and I'll probably wait until the game is out rather than rewatch that footage over and over, but I think there are moments when he nails it and moments where he goes a bit too far into "teen nerd voice" which I don't enjoy. I think overall it works and hopefully the good will outweigh the bad when I'm actually playing it.
  • edited December 2010
    I'll reserve my judgement for when we see him in game. But now I think it isn't quite there its like there's a little accent and not the accent that would make sense (German).
  • edited December 2010
    LuigiHann wrote: »
    I'll have to listen to Young Doc more before I have an opinion, and I'll probably wait until the game is out rather than rewatch that footage over and over, but I think there are moments when he nails it and moments where he goes a bit too far into "teen nerd voice" which I don't enjoy. I think overall it works and hopefully the good will outweigh the bad when I'm actually playing it.

I kinda agree with this. From what little we got to hear, some of it sounded great, some of it sounded a bit odd. But it's really hard to tell from such a tiny sample. I'm sure it's fine overall.
  • edited December 2010
    I'll reserve my judgement for when we see him in game. But now I think it isn't quite there its like there's a little accent and not the accent that would make sense (German).
    The "vast storehouse of scientific knowledge" line sounds a little off to me, but the "What in the name of Thomas Alva Edison" line sounds spot on, pretty much exactly meeting my expectations for what Young Doc should sound like. I, too, will reserve final judgement until I hear more dialogue, though.

Just curious, what accent do you think he has?
  • edited December 2010
    ^
    That's funny. With me it's exactly the other way around. I thought the vast storehouse of scientific knowledge line was more impressive.

Opinions. :D
  • edited December 2010
    markeres wrote: »
    Just curious, what accent do you think he has?
    At first I thought it might be Australian but on closer anaylisis I can't tell what it is. It's just the subtle thing that stops the voice from sounding completely authentic.
  • edited December 2010
    Now that lines from the game have been released publicly, I made a video comparing the voices of Biff, George, and Marty from the movie with the voices from the game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1LOuOLZehc

I used the scene from the end of the first movie, where Marty meets his cool new parents and the now-wimpy Biff, since those are the characters we're dealing with in the game.
  • edited December 2010
    As I've said before... young!Doc sounds like Obi-Wan from the Clone Wars. Albeit a hyperactive, mildly high-strung Obi-Wan at best. Not that it's a bad thing, but since I'm a bit of a fan of metahumor, it will be rather interesting, hehe.

I also want to give TT props for mentioning Tidus in JAT's bio on the site. That was probably my favorite JAT role (haters gonna hate) next to Obi-Wan, so yeah.
  • edited December 2010
    I didn't even realize that he did Tidus until they put that up on the site.
  • edited December 2010
    Also noteworthy is that he did Leonardo in TMNTIV

@MetayRayMek
    Ahh...so I am not the only one who likes his performance of Tidus. :D

OWH and Michael X Sommers plays the lead role in Bad Mojo. A cult classic among adventure gamers.
  • edited December 2010
    I didn't even realize that he did Tidus until they put that up on the site.

Mmmmmm'yep, he sure did alright!

000wwfbk
  • edited December 2010
    James Arnold Taylor voiced Tidus?! O_O O_O O_O

Oh my... oh my...

Well... I'm shocked... I guess every great man has his share of failures from time to time.

On the other hand, the voice acting in FFX was so atrocious that compared to everyone else the main character's voice acting maybe was ok in comparison, I don't know...
  • edited December 2010
    ^
    *shakes fist*

It wasn't a failure!
    People forget that VA in games had just begun during that time.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.