We want TOMI on XBL !!!!!

13»

Comments

• edited July 2010
    I hate how you have to wait for the download and then wait for the installation when you want to play a new game on PSN

Oh, and it's really annoying when you're browsing the PSN store for an original PSN game and they won't offer you a demo or even show screenshots of the game, there is only text and a small icon.
  • edited July 2010
    Well, I for one prefer XBL because you don't have to pay tax on everything you buy. I've said it before, but to buy anything on PSN I have to buy a retail points card and pay retail tax and then pay tax AGAIN when I actually buy an item on PSN. Because of this I've not bought anything from PSN yet.

You don't have a credit card?
  • edited July 2010
    No, I don't. Not everybody does.
  • edited July 2010
    Well, still its true, that Tales of Monkey Island would sell on XBLA good. Just take look on sales of Monkey Island SE - over 125,000 copies and it will be likewise with MI2SE this month. So ToMI would sell good, really. Atleast 50,000 copies should be problem, and that's 50,000x20 bucks, do you need calculator?
  • edited July 2010
    tonyskate wrote: »
    Well, still its true, that Tales of Monkey Island would sell on XBLA good. Just take look on sales of Monkey Island SE - over 125,000 copies and it will be likewise with MI2SE this month. So ToMI would sell good, really. Atleast 50,000 copies should be problem, and that's 50,000x20 bucks, do you need calculator?

No one has said that they shouldn't put it there, and the CEO of the company has publicly said that it's a huge priority to port the game there. There is really no reason for this topic to continue existing.
  • edited July 2010
    I don't want to talk about something, so no one should talk about it either.

Revenge!
  • edited July 2010
    thin029 wrote: »
    Revenge!

Every view on the subject has been expressed 10 times over, there is absolutely no need to keep driving the same points into the ground for pages and pages.
  • edited July 2010
    @Purple Tentacle

Maybe the impression of the “know it all attitude" depends from the fact that English is not my mother tongue... And so I tend to write in less mediated way…
    Moreover, just for your own curiosity, I have spent 3 years of my life working on an Academic Study regarding Marketing & Videogame Market, but no, actually now I am not employed in into the videogame market.

Anyway, I am still convinced that TT is a great Company for what concern the "contents creation" but not so great in regards of their business decisions.

I will simplify things.
    TT is a Company that create niche-games based upon (more or less) popular franchises. Once they have created these contents, they obviously have to sell these contents to the larger audience possible.
    For them it will be not possible to sign an exclusive deal with a platform-holder because their game are not million units sellers.
    It will be also a true nonsense for them to sign a temporary-exclusive-deal with a platform-holder, because games (also the biggest franchises) as products will tend to lost their day-one-appeal once released on the other platforms, performing otherwise worse sales results in respect of a simultaneous release.

In order to achieve the goal of selling the same "niche content" to the wider audience possible, the only way to go for them is to be a multiplatform developers. It is quite simple.

So for TT it will be THE ABSOLUTE PRIORITY to develop an ENGINE that could perform “real-time” conversions between the different platforms. But after so many years in the business, it seems that they still haven't realized this simple fact. How can we call this situation? Do you agree that this is a very BAD business decision?!?!

Then let's speack about MI.
    Monkey Island is a VERY popular franchise. It seems that the special edition has outsold (in terms of units sold) all the previous TT games released on XBL. It is a franchise much more popular and loved than S&M and W&G. Furthermore while S&M franchise is now around for a while, at the time we haven't new MI games in years.

Again one years ago they could have also enjoyed and shared the hype & the marketing efforts of the Special Edition, and maybe the need of people for more & new monkey island games.

It is more difficult to sell an year old game now. It will be more difficult when it will be 2 year old. So TOMI has waste a HUGE sales potential. And, again, this is THE MOST BAD business decision a Company can do.

Let's go ahead. Again, if I HAVE to sold the contents I have create, my first goal it would be to try to make the contents accessible to a larger audience possible. And so where?!? XBL, ITunes, Steam, PSN etc… Do I have limited resources (as I have not a multiplatform engine even if I am a multiplatform company)? Well, I try to have these content avaiable on the better MARKETPLACEs first!!!
    This does not means that you do not have to release the content on PSN too… But at least work on priority!!! And for better marketplaces I mean (at least) the ones that grant the best overall sales results and higher number of people active on it (and people that have paid a subscription can be considered quite active...).

Then, if you have a peculiar problem with the technical infrastructure of a determinate marketplace (for ex. no possibility of episodic contents etc…) at least gives your potential customers some love & create in advance the expectation the future release by stating that this particular version will be released as a unique game as soon as (gives a release date!!!) all the episodes will be released on the other platforms... Not doing this is a BAD business decision!

As for my personal business plan I will try AT FIRST to sell MORE of the great assets/contents that I have already developed and I have ready-to-go in house. Let’s call it optimization. Waste money is never a good business decisions. And TT in its history have wasted a lot of money with their underperforming sales (for whay I have told before).

In the end maybe I'm not nice to you. Sorry for that.. I also can understand that maybe you feel a sort of unconditioned love for TT. But this is not my case. All I have stated before are really simple and obvious considerations & facts that, to me, unfortunately bring to the same conclusion: TT are great content creators but they made a lot of business mistake and very bad business decisions.
    And you do not need to be a Marketing Guru or a Business Genius to note that!
  • edited July 2010
    Their engine is already multi-platform, since they've released games on all platforms, and they make all of them with their Telltale Tool. But just having the game for a certain platform is only the start. You need to bugtest the game entirely on every separate platform, increasing the time required linearly for every extra platform. Then you need to work out deals with the platform owners (in the case of consoles), again increasing the time and cost for every extra platform.
    With their monthly release schedule, they just can't do too many platforms at once. You can already see it a bit with 'Sam & Max Season 3'. Originally, they aimed to release each episode simultaneously on four platforms (PC, Mac, PS3 and iPad). Since the iPad version didn't run too well, they already had to drop that for simultaneous release. The episodes have had a few more bugs than other TT seasons, possibly because they have to release for three platforms at once each month, instead of the one they were used to previously.
    So 'just make the engine multiplatform' is far too simplified.
  • edited July 2010
    Fliter wrote: »
    much text

None of this makes me believe any less that you're a know-it-all.
  • edited July 2010
    Didero wrote: »
    Their engine is already multi-platform, since they've released games on all platforms, and they make all of them with their Telltale Tool. But just having the game for a certain platform is only the start. You need to bugtest the game entirely on every separate platform, increasing the time required linearly for every extra platform. Then you need to work out deals with the platform owners (in the case of consoles), again increasing the time and cost for every extra platform.
    With their monthly release schedule, they just can't do too many platforms at once. You can already see it a bit with 'Sam & Max Season 3'. Originally, they aimed to release each episode simultaneously on four platforms (PC, Mac, PS3 and iPad). Since the iPad version didn't run too well, they already had to drop that for simultaneous release. The episodes have had a few more bugs than other TT seasons, possibly because they have to release for three platforms at once each month, instead of the one they were used to previously.
    So 'just make the engine multiplatform' is far too simplified.

I agree with you! my reasoning is far too simplified but this is my basic premise! It will be such a more complex argumentation!
    But again I still believe that this semplification serve the purpose...

And about the engine, I believe that TT need a "real time" multiplat engine (just like CryEngine or UE) that is able to port a content in real-time over the different platforms...

And about all the costs you are talking about... well to me they should be called investments...
  • edited July 2010
    None of this makes me believe any less that you're a know-it-all.

You are right.... Too much text!!!
  • edited July 2010
    This is why I bought all three systems.
  • edited July 2010
    And about the engine, I believe that TT need a "real time" multiplat engine (just like CryEngine or UE) that is able to port a content in real-time over the different platforms...

And about all the costs you are talking about... well to me they should be called investments...

First of all, you're referring to two of the biggest engines in the gaming development world. Those engines have MILLIONS of dollars in dev costs dumped into them, so you can't honestly expect TTG to compete with them in any fashion.

Second, there is no such thing as a "real-time" port. You don't just hit the "port" button and have it come out flawless. You will still need to have a few team members tweaking it and optimizing it for the platform, and creating workarounds for any bugs that may pop up due to differences in the operating systems, etc. The notion that all they have to do to make a port is make some kind of "port generator" is ridiculous, as the Telltale Tool is already designed to output platform specific code. They still need to put some programmers and QA the crap out of any port they want to release.

You're insanely oversimplifying the porting process.
  • edited July 2010
    First of all, you're referring to two of the biggest engines in the gaming development world. Those engines have MILLIONS of dollars in dev costs dumped into them, so you can't honestly expect TTG to compete with them in any fashion.

Second, there is no such thing as a "real-time" port. You don't just hit the "port" button and have it come out flawless. You will still need to have a few team members tweaking it and optimizing it for the platform, and creating workarounds for any bugs that may pop up due to differences in the operating systems, etc. The notion that all they have to do to make a port is make some kind of "port generator" is ridiculous, as the Telltale Tool is already designed to output platform specific code. They still need to put some programmers and QA the crap out of any port they want to release.

You're insanely oversimplifying the porting process.

Another person from the "I'm a computer hacker because I can use an app I found on google" generation pwned by reality.
  • edited July 2010
    In the end maybe I'm not nice to you. Sorry for that.. I also can understand that maybe you feel a sort of unconditioned love for TT. But this is not my case.

No, I just disagree with you and decided to discuss.
    Maybe the impression of the “know it all attitude" depends from the fact that English is not my mother tongue... And so I tend to write in less mediated way…

No, it's because you're trying to tell us how an experienced games company should do things based mostly around theory. Reading how to drive doesn't make you a good driver.
    Anyway, I am still convinced that TT is a great Company for what concern the "contents creation" but not so great in regards of their business decisions.

Ok, my point is simple. Based upon my own observations TTG has achieved exactly what they set out to do. They brought back what is essentially an unpopular type of genre. Risky business decision from the beginning, don't you think?

It would have been a good decision to bring us genres that appeal to the mass market. FPS, GTA-clones and other violent action games that we've been inundated with over the years.

Recently they updated their games engine, as shown in the newest Sam and Max series. I imagine the sales of TOMI helped greatly.

Their games are getting good reviews.

They have games on pretty much every format now. Not to mention that the frequency of games released over the year seems to be on the increase.

This isn't a love for the company, these are facts. They're growing as a company meaning they're getting something right.

From that point of view, I think they're doing well.

Seeing as the PC is where they get most of their sales and that the console market aren't nearly as interested in these types of games, surely it makes more sense to concentrate on your target audience (PC)?
  • edited July 2010
    alexonfyre wrote: »
    Another person from the "I'm a computer hacker because I can use an app I found on google" generation pwned by reality.
    Hey, the Unreal Engine is free for noncommercial projects so he could always try making a game like that himself... :D

np: Burger/Ink - Flesh & Bleed (Las Vegas 2010)
  • edited July 2010
    Ok, my point is simple. Based upon my own observations TTG has achieved exactly what they set out to do. They brought back what is essentially an unpopular type of genre. Risky business decision from the beginning, don't you think?

It would have been a good decision to bring us genres that appeal to the mass market. FPS, GTA-clones and other violent action games that we've been inundated with over the years.

Recently they updated their games engine, as shown in the newest Sam and Max series. I imagine the sales of TOMI helped greatly.

Their games are getting good reviews.

They have games on pretty much every format now. Not to mention that the frequency of games released over the year seems to be on the increase.

This isn't a love for the company, these are facts. They're growing as a company meaning they're getting something right.

From that point of view, I think they're doing well.

This is the usual case "we are doing well..."..
    But how better you could have done?

And, for sure, they have lost HUGE opportunities with TOMI.
  • edited July 2010
    THEY. WILL. PUT. IT. ON. XBL. EVENTUALLY. JUST. WAIT.

Now let this thread die for the love of all that is good...
  • edited July 2010
    THEY. WILL. PUT. IT. ON. XBL. EVENTUALLY. JUST. WAIT.

Let's hope you are right....
  • edited July 2010
    I don't know if It is important or not, but to publish a game at the Xbox Live Arcade Marketplace, the game need to be translated to some languages (Microsoft rule): spanish, french, dutch and more... And We all know Telltale are lazy boys translating their games...

I am a PC boy and I don't want the Xbox version but I vote for it because that means that the game will be translated to spanish and my brother could play it. He cries all the nights because He can't play the game (He doesn't speak english).
  • edited July 2010
    I've actually got a couple thoughts on this, other than languages... (Though, IMO, they *could* just leave the voice acting in english and just change the subtitles for the other versions if they wanted to go on the cheap.)

What a lot of people are forgetting about Xbox Live is that there are two huge changes coming this fall.

First off is the obvious: Kinect

Second is the not-so-obvious... Windows Mobile 7, Microsoft's new PDA OS that will sync with Xbox Live. Games made for arcade will be interchangeable with Windows Mobile 7 and vice versa.

Both have a heck of a lot of potential when considering a "point and click" game, but both also may require a lot of retooling.

TTG has already said multiple times they do want to bring the game over. They've also put a chunk of games on Xbox Live already. I figure it's just a matter of time. But the above may suggest it is also a matter of timing.
  • edited July 2010
    I'm sure its coming eventually. I'd still love to see Season 1 and 2 of Sam and Max on the PS3.
  • edited August 2010
    The reason Portal 2 will be better on the PS3 is because it will be integrated with Steam (SteamCloud, community interaction, connected to your Steam account, etc). The XBox won't be connected to Steam. Personally, I'm rather excited for it.

WOOT!!! :( I love steam....
    meh i can still be on twitter.....

im in ur thread acting normal
  • edited August 2010
    I think it should have been released on the 360 as well, and as I have said elsewhere it probably will. Us Xbox users will just have to wait a bit longer, just as PS3 users had to wait a while for the GTAIV episodic packs...
  • edited August 2010
    Eff One wrote: »
    I think it should have been released on the 360 as well, and as I have said elsewhere it probably will. Us Xbox users will just have to wait a bit longer, just as PS3 users had to wait a while for the GTAIV episodic packs...

You know what? You're okay, kid.
  • edited August 2010
    You know what? You're okay, kid.

Cheers, dude. :D
  • edited December 2010
    I do find the whole situation odd. Sam and Max S1+2 on XBLA, Sam and Max S3 on PSN? The 2 Monkey Island games on XBLA AND PSN, but no TOMI for 360, even though its on PS3 AND Wii? It's like everyone's missing out a little bit, even the PS3 owners for not having the first two seasons of Sam and Max. Surely the demand is pretty high, so they should expand to bring all these games to all platforms before its too late...
  • edited May 2011
    I really want Tales of Monkey Island on the Xbox 360 now. I emailed the info email address of TellTale Games to see if there has been any development on it. Now I am just awaiting a response. I will post the response here if and when it gets to me.
  • edited May 2011
    LilPanik wrote: »
    I really want Tales of Monkey Island on the Xbox 360 now. I emailed the info email address of TellTale Games to see if there has been any development on it. Now I am just awaiting a response. I will post the response here if and when it gets to me.

Telltale did say they created a deal with Microsoft. Many people say that Tales would most likely be in that deal considering how popular it is.
  • edited September 2012
    So, now Telltale are up to episode 3 with The Walking Dead on Xbox, what was the reason again that ToMI was never given a release on that platform?! :confused:
  • edited December 2012
    Here's my back story, I'm nearly 30 years old and I have grown up with computer games. I had an Amiga 500 as a kid... I played MI1 & 2 and loved them, all 11 floppy disks required per game. We had a dodgy Windows 95 PC that couldn't run anything but I insisted we had to have MI3 & 4.

As far as consoles go I got a NES for xmas 1989, I've had a SNES, N64 and Gamecube. I switched it up after that and bought an Xbox and after that an Xbox 360. My present day gaming habits involve countless hours roaming the Xbox Arcade for old games I remember from my childhood!

So when I saw LucasArts' remastered releases of the original two MI games I couldn't believe it! I got both straight away. Now, one day I saw news of TTG's ToMI and thought yeah okay I'll give it a go. Which self-respecting MI fan wouldn't have! I downloaded it on my mac played it and loved it. Telltale did a great job! But it was a gateway drug for me. I downloaded Back to the Future on my mac, based on my ToMI experience. I downloaded both of the available Sam & Max games on xbox, played them, loved them. I regressed in age and downloaded the first Wallace & Gromit game on xbox and found it surprisingly enjoyable. And of course, I have played through the entire Walking Dead series on the xbox and thought it was the best TTG effort to date....

So what do I play now!? Ideally an xbox version of MI3 but I know that is a matter for a LucasArts forum! There has been no news of any kind of ToMI port to xbox live. I'm making a really long-winded point here but basically... I am a console gamer first and mac user second and I really want to me able to play ToMI on my xbox. My sister has it downloaded on her Wii, so why can't they manage it on the xbox!

I have a massive wish to see Curse of Monkey Island and Grim Fandango on xbla but I will navigate to the relevant forums before I start ranting about those old beauties.
  • I can't believe I wrote that over a year ago and there has been no new comments since!

I've enjoyed two birthdays in that time!!

I know Telltale must be extremely busy with TWD S2 and TWAU not to mention revealing Borderlands but I would just like to say AGAIN, that there are some xbox owners (myself included) that would still really like to play this game!!

I know it can't be the top priority, but it's not cool feeling like they have shelved it... permanently.

thebeerdr posted: »

Here's my back story, I'm nearly 30 years old and I have grown up with computer games. I had an Amiga 500 as a kid... I played MI1 & 2 and

• Happy Birthday......twice!

thebeerdr posted: »

I can't believe I wrote that over a year ago and there has been no new comments since! I've enjoyed two birthdays in that time!! I kno

• lol thank you... I've saved you some cake!

tana posted: »

Happy Birthday......twice!

Sign in to comment in this discussion.