Songs that remind you of the Monkey Island series

edited September 2012 in Tales of Monkey Island
So what are your songs that remind you of the Monkey Island series? Me, I'm going with "She's Like Heroin" by System Of A Down, because some lyrics remind me of Elaine's craziness in the courthouse and elsewhere in ToMI Chapter 4, and of Guybrush being forced to wear a dress so he can come to Elaine's party (and probably charm her) in Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge. :D

Comments

• edited June 2010
    Homecoming by Kanye West

I don't particularly like the song but it really reminds me of MI: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdAIMCKK_-w
  • edited June 2010
    D.A.N.C.E by Justice, ever since that crazy dancing movie of Guybrush shortly before EP 5 arrived.
  • edited June 2010
    For some reason, the end of the credits song for Charmed. :/
  • edited June 2010
    It's gonna sound weird...but "The Way Love Goes" by Brian McKnight...the beat just makes me think of Monkey Island...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EaoJzwcLNI
  • edited June 2010
    I'm a big soundtrack fan, and I recently became aware of the score to the 1968 film DARK OF THE SUN by Jacques Loussier. It's actually written with a melodic sensibility not all that different from Michael Land. Just visit this page, for example:

http://screenarchives.com/title_detail.cfm/ID/8554/DARK-OF-THE-SUN/

And check out the audio clip of the first track. (Clicking the name of the track gives you real audio, clicking the TIME of the track gives you an mp3.) It has a very Melee Island Forest vibe (one that grows more pronounced as the track goes on).

Worth picking up for fans of film scores -- or just interesting music!
  • edited June 2010
    Edit: Wrong Thread :p
  • edited June 2010
    Puola - Stoned on Monkey Island 2000

Is music made about the game cheating?
  • edited June 2010
    Gryffalio wrote: »
    Puola - Stoned on Monkey Island 2000

Is music made about the game cheating?

Oh hey, that's pretty cool music!!
  • edited June 2010
    How about "Master of Puppets" by Metallica, which made me think about Guybrush's final battle with LeChuck in ToMI Chapter 5?
  • edited June 2010
    Island of Monkeys ~ Logan Whitehurst

Wait a minute... Do you think he may have been an MI fan?
  • edited June 2010
    'Hope' by Rush

It's an acoustic instrumental from their album 'Snakes and Arrows'. I love the song and I love the album, but 'Hope' is the only song that really reminds me of Monkey Island. I'm afraid the song isn't on Youtube, so the only way you'll hear it is through illegal/legal download or if you were to buy the album (which would be a good decision anyway).
  • edited June 2010
    "Written in the Stars" from Tim Rice's Aida reminds me of Guybrush and Elaine throughout their adventures, no matter what fate befalls them, in ToMI. That, and that 1981 song "Lady".
  • edited June 2010
    How about "Whisper" by Evanescence, which kind of reminds me of somewhere near the end of Chapter 4 of ToMI?
  • edited July 2010
    Keeping this up...

How about "Come Back to Me" by David Cook? Reminds me of Elaine's affection for Guybrush.
  • edited July 2010
    Hayden wrote: »
    I'm afraid I only like those guys' instrumentals.

Yeah, his voice is far from great. But hey, what do you expect from a Scottish pirate who has a keytar?:D

I've seen them live a few times and they're an excellent and really fun live band. The last song I saw them play was Lazytown's You Are A Pirate. :guybrush:
  • edited July 2010
    0:58-1:03 of this track, I've thought it ever since the day I bought the game

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-hGKxQPZYY
  • edited July 2010
    eMKayeN wrote: »
    0:58-1:03 of this track, I've thought it ever since the day I bought the game

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-hGKxQPZYY

Oh I see, you are referring to those few seconds only having that "LeChuck" touch. I was getting afraid you would connect MI to the general style of this, uh, melody.
  • edited July 2010
    this doesnt count, but whenever i go to my bathroom, the squeak on the door reminds me of the song at stan's shipyard
  • edited July 2010
    How about I don't want to miss a thing by Aerosmith, I't reminds my of the ending of chapter 4 when Guybrush is closing his eyes.
  • edited July 2010
    this doesnt count, but whenever i go to my bathroom, the squeak on the door reminds me of the song at stan's shipyard

*lol*!
  • edited July 2010
    How about I don't want to miss a thing by Aerosmith, I't reminds my of the ending of chapter 4 when Guybrush is closing his eyes.

Great song by one of my all-time favourite bands! It's never reminded me of MI though. But now that you mention it, it does sort of fit that scene.

I demand a recording!
  • edited July 2010
    I demand a recording!

now that's gonna be difficult, its a quiet squeak... just listen to the first second of music from that scene, and that's essentially what you got!
  • edited July 2010
    now that's gonna be difficult, its a quiet squeak... just listen to the first second of music from that scene, and that's essentially what you got!

Don't worry, I didn't actually want a recording :). Alright, I'll listen to it sometime soon. The same sort of things happen to me - random noises will remind me of songs that I listen to often; it's quite strange, but cool.
  • edited July 2010
    Don't worry, I didn't actually want a recording :). Alright, I'll listen to it sometime soon. The same sort of things happen to me - random noises will remind me of songs that I listen to often; it's quite strange, but cool.

yeah. like, my air conditioner for some reason reminds me of Ana Ng? (a song)
  • edited July 2010
    Anyway, previous mini-conversation aside, for some reason the opening bass part of Judas Priest's "The Rage" always reminds me of the Melee Island forest. I'm not exactly sure why... I guess it sounds a tiny bit like the forest's in-game music, but hardly.
  • edited July 2010
    To Hayden and seson3churious, don't forget that "I Don't Wanna Miss a Thing" was also used in the soundtrack to the motion picture Armageddon.

Oh, and here are the lyrics for "I Don't Want to Miss a Thing":

I could stay awake just to hear you breathing;
    Watch you smile while you are sleeping
    While you're far away dreaming.
    I could spend my life in this sweet surrender.
    I could stay lost in this moment forever.
    Every moment spent with you is a moment I treasure.

[Chorus]
    Don't want to close my eyes;
    I don't want to fall asleep,
    'Cause I'd miss you baby,
    And I don't want to miss a thing.
    'Cause even when I dream of you,
    The sweetest dream will never do.
    I'd still miss you baby,
    And I don't want to miss a thing.

Lying close to you feeling your heart beating.
    And I'm wondering what you're dreaming,
    Wondering if it's me you're seeing.
    Then I kiss your eyes
    And thank God we're together.
    I just want to stay with you in this moment forever.
    Forever and ever.
    [To Chorus]

I don't want to miss one smile.
    I don't want to miss one kiss.
    I just want to be with you,
    Right here with you, just like this.
    I just want to hold you close,
    Feel your heart so close to mine,
    And just stay here in this moment
    For all the rest of time.
    [To Chorus and repeat]
  • edited July 2010
    An obvious choice...

Just read the lyrics ... and hmmm ... see if you can find out what the song's about.

three trials before you leave the shore:
    mastering the sword,
    learn the art of thievery
    and find treasures galore

get a ship and a crew of three
    and search the foreign lands
    and when the wind of hell embraces thee
    you'll gain the idol of many hands

a black sky above, our kingdom beneath
    die in the waves or live on your knees

come, raise the flag of the fallen
    we reign the storm and the seas
    and live our lives on the brink of death
    WE'RE PIRATES! and we are free

Prove your courage and touch the gruesome winged devil
    trust the navigator's head
    for all the rum and grog don't forget to revel
    for tomorrow you could be dead

and beware of falling in love at all
    or your heart will beat inside a chest
    'guess you figured it out - what I recall 's
    another story from another quest

a black sky above, our kingdom beneath
    die in the waves or live on your knees

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70oWsgDgDqg

That's the most obvious one. Aside from that, pretty much any pirate-themed song by RUNNING WILD!
  • edited July 2010
    Debbie82 wrote: »
    To Hayden and seson3churious, don't forget that "I Don't Wanna Miss a Thing" was also used in the soundtrack to the motion picture Armageddon.

Oh, and here are the lyrics for "I Don't Want to Miss a Thing":

[Lyrics]

Yeah, the lyrics would fit perfectly if Guybrush and Morgan were lovers, but the weren't; so I'm afraid only sections of the lyrics fit the moment. If it were Elaine who was dying, then it would work completely.
  • edited July 2010
    How about "I Do (Cherish You)" (the 98 Degrees cover of Mark Willis' song)? Kind of reminds me of the marriage of Elaine Marley to Guybrush Threepwood at the end of Curse of Monkey Island.

All I am, all I'll be;
    Everything in this world,
    All that I'll ever need,
    Is in your eyes
    Shining at me.
    When you smile I can feel
    All my passion unfolding.
    Your hand brushes mine,
    And a thousand sensations
    Seduce me 'cause I...

[Chorus]
    I do cherish you.
    For the rest of my life
    You don't have to think twice.
    I will love you still.
    From the depths of my soul
    It's beyond my control.
    I've waited so long to say this to you.
    If you're asking, do I love you this much?
    I do.

In my world, before you,
    I lived outside my emotions,
    Didn't know where I was going;
    'Til that day I found you,
    How you opened my life
    To a new paradise
    In a world torn by change.
    Still with all of my heart
    'Til my dying day...
    [To Chorus]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pKMKjlTlZI
  • edited July 2010
    Yeah, the lyrics would fit perfectly if Guybrush and Morgan were lovers, but the weren't; so I'm afraid only sections of the lyrics fit the moment. If it were Elaine who was dying, then it would work completely.

Yeah, that would be awesome... but the chorus really reminds me of the end of chapter 4. Like he doesn't want to die (close my eyes,fall asleep, etc) because he would miss Elaine a lot. To bad this is a family game so he can't cheat on Elain :rolleyes:
  • edited July 2010
    Yeah, that would be awesome... but the chorus really reminds me of the end of chapter 4. Like he doesn't want to die (close my eyes,fall asleep, etc) because he would miss Elaine a lot. To bad this is a family game so he can't cheat on Elain :rolleyes:

Oh, you were referring to Guybrush's death scene. Duh! For some reason I thought you were talking about Morgan's death scene. I don't know why I got that notion, you didn't even mention Morgan.

Well, yes then, I agree, the song fits that moment perfectly.

And, by the way, for good measure, I am not one of the people who wanted Guybrush to cheat on Elaine with Morgan; I would prefer Guybrush to stay with Elaine.
  • edited July 2010
    Sorry, gotta bring this up.

How about "Chicken Huntin'" by Insane Clown Posse? Reminds me of Plunder Island's Puerto Pollo and its chickens, and Captain Blondebeard's hunt for the vengeful chicken called "El Pollo Diablo". Here's the chorus:

Who's goin' chicken huntin'?
    We's goin' chicken huntin'!
    Cut a motherf***ing chicken up, right!
  • edited July 2010
    Mario Party 2 - Pirate Land

Banjo-Kazooie: Treasure Trove Cove

Banjo-Tooie: Jolly Roger's Lagoon

Hercules: I Won't say I'm in Love (It reminds me of the relationship between Guybrush and Elaine up until the beginning of Curse)
  • edited August 2010
    The first 18 secs of this song remind me of the Voodoo lady music from Curse.
    My little brother was the one who stated this to me and he doesn't even like MI.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1G9P6ttsSY8

Its a Dutch singer called Waylon.
  • TeaTea
    edited August 2010
    Pendulum's Fasten Your Seatbelt sounds like a techno LeChuck theme.
  • edited August 2010
    How about "Angel" by Sarah McLachlan? You know... it sometimes fits the part about Elaine cradling Guybrush in her arms and trying to console him near the end of ToMI Chapter 4.

Spend all your time waiting
    For that second chance,
    For a break that would make it okay.
    There's always one reason
    To feel not good enough,
    And it's hard at the end of the day.
    I need some distraction.
    Oh beautiful release;
    Memory seeps from my veins.
    Let me be empty
    And weightless and maybe
    I'll find some peace tonight.

[Chorus]
    In the arms of an angel
    Fly away from here,
    From this dark cold hotel room
    And the endlessness that you fear.
    You are pulled from the wreckage
    Of your silent reverie.
    You're in the arms of the angel;
    May you find some comfort there.

So tired of the straight line,
    And everywhere you turn,
    There's vultures and thieves at your back.
    And the storm keeps on twisting;
    You keep on building the lie
    That you make up for all that you lack.
    It don't make no difference
    Escaping one last time;
    It's easier to believe
    In this sweet madness, oh,
    This glorious sadness
    That brings me to my knees.
    [To Chorus]
  • edited August 2010
    Slightly off-topic, but the song "Live" by Paul and Storm reminds me of DeathSpank every time I hear it.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.