German Tourist Appreciation Thread

edited June 2010 in Sam & Max
You knew it would show up eventually.

Comments

• edited June 2010
    Yeah, guy has best line in the whole game. Congrats to Majus for doing a good job on the voice.
  • edited June 2010
    He taught me new german words that I will frequently use in conversations from now on.
  • edited June 2010
    Majus (and the guy who wrote his lines) did a good job having the foreign guy sound foreign even to German speakers...
  • edited June 2010
    Technically he's a European tourist who happens to be from a place called Aschaffenburg. Also, socks with sandals :D
  • edited June 2010
    For the first time I was with Sam when he said "I'm American". I was playing without subtitles until I meet him!
  • edited June 2010
    That really was Majus? I THOUGHT it sounded like him.
  • edited June 2010
    The tourist was hilarious. Him and Sal were major highlights of the episode for me. I was kind of sad when
    he got tossed to, and most likely killed by, Skun-ka'pe.
  • edited June 2010
    I had no trouble understanding him at all

You americans are so attached to your own accent sounding, I sometimes can't be understood by them and I have a very plain voice and a very slight Australian accent (None of the "G'day mate!" stuff)
  • edited June 2010
    Wow thanks people, I appreciate it!
    Next time you are at the dinnertable, confuse your family&friends with a conversation involving "Weltraumliebewachzauberkrieg". It's fun!
  • edited June 2010
    I so wanted to play the game from the very start just to note that word to somewhere for future use.

But, THANKS for such a good opportunity of copy pasting, Majus!
  • edited June 2010
    I prefer ibbskibiddle. Much less likely to cause you to choke from lack of air.
  • edited June 2010
    lombre wrote: »
    The tourist was hilarious. Him and Sal were major highlights of the episode for me. I was kind of sad when
    he got tossed to, and most likely killed by, Skun-ka'pe.

Yeah but,
    that whole alternate reality got undone, so he could well be ok after all
  • edited June 2010
    Honestly this was a weird experience as the voice was quite high and then it didn't always sound like a german accent at all, more a weird mix of other languages plus some german words in between.
  • edited June 2010
    I had no trouble understanding him at all

You americans are so attached to your own accent sounding, I sometimes can't be understood by them and I have a very plain voice and a very slight Australian accent (None of the "G'day mate!" stuff)

It's not like I didn't understand the accent itself. The freaking made up words I was trying to actually figure out! I didn't get those weren't actual English words until I put the subtitles. It was more like "A guy talking a foreign language with a foreign accent for the foreign language speakers he's "speaking" with a collage of foreign words for me AND the foreign language he's trying to talk".

I was so proud of me until I meet him. (It has nothing with you Majus, you were awesome as always ^^!).
  • edited June 2010
    Oh, he is not german. He is european.
  • edited June 2010
    Hubert Q. Tourist: European at Large.
  • edited June 2010
    @Majus
    That would make more sense. It kind of reminded me of Juergen in a way that he, beside of a few german words, also didn't sound like a german. Even more if you take into account that he should have been from Stuttgart.
  • edited June 2010
    Are you questioning Majus' ability to talk in a proper German accent o.O? He can sound German if he works very, very hard at it, you know! Although it is true that his accent has almost entirely disappeared now that he's been in Amerika so long, and people usually assume he's from Orinda.
  • edited June 2010
    The thread is about a german tourist but that's not the accent of the character. No idea what the intention was but i found it misleading. I don't question that he can talk german, at least one accent, but the character isn't speaking english with a german accent.
  • jmmjmm
    edited June 2010
    Though I'm happy for Majus, I disliked the character.

1) I had to turn on subtitles to understand what he was saying.
    2) The visual design was, well, better suited for another kind of game.
    3) In part 1 he wasn't "noir" enough. Later I found him completely out of place.
  • edited June 2010
    @taumel I was kidding :p And the OP assumed he was German, but he was just supposed to be "European", since we United States types always lump you folks into one, continent sized group. (Brits and Irish are obviously exempted, because they, usually, speak English so we sometimes watch their TV shows, if we're into PBS.)
  • edited June 2010
    Don't feed the prejudices.
  • edited June 2010
    How did you manage to read that script with so many long words?! XD
  • edited June 2010
    Will you mention us in your Oscar speech Majus?
  • edited June 2010
    I felt sorry for the poor tourist... but he was hilarious! I'll try to memorize the words so I can use them in real life... I'm pretty sure I won't see a
    battle between a space ape and a man wearing a funny hat
    so I can use that long word, but I'll be able to use ibbskibiddle.
  • edited June 2010
    Lena_P wrote: »
    Also, socks with sandals :D

In fact that's a very comfortable combination.
    It gives you the feel of a warm sheltered foot combined with the natural ventilation of an (almost) bare foot. ;)
  • edited June 2010
    I didn't like the high pitched voice and had problems hearing what he said. And I live in a country where I can speak 5 languages within 5 minutes on most streets. Plus there is no such accent.
  • edited June 2010
    Iryon, you're British, aren't you? /sarcasm
  • edited June 2010
    Iryon wrote: »
    In fact that's a very comfortable combination.
    It gives you the feel of a warm sheltered foot combined with the natural ventilation of an (almost) bare foot. ;)

I also like it, but nothing screams tourist like socks and sandals.
  • edited June 2010
    Lena_P wrote: »
    Iryon, you're British, aren't you? /sarcasm

Well ... I AM from the British Zone of Occupation. Does that count? :)
  • edited June 2010
    That's like saying, "I'm not from Cincinnati, but I am from the Northern Hemisphere, does that count?"

The answer is no, and if you're from Canada, send me some smarties.
  • edited June 2010
    I loved how ambiguously European he was. He's the best character of the episode just for that.

Other than Sammun-Mak, of course.

So does Weltraumliebewachzauberkrieg mean anything? I see the German word for war, and if Google translate is working correctly, there's also something about a spell and a guard.
  • edited June 2010
    Aschaffenburg is in Germany btw.
    Also, for me, as a german, I found it hilarious with which words they came up. I mean some of them didn't make sense at all, but they were pretty funny.
  • edited June 2010
    I didn't like the high pitched voice and had problems hearing what he said. And I live in a country where I can speak 5 languages within 5 minutes on most streets. Plus there is no such accent.

You weren't supposed to understand everything he said, that was the point :)

And you are right, there is no-one else in the entire world with the same accent as Majus. That doesn't mean it's not authentic...

However, I did find the volume of his voice to be an issue, some lines were harder to hear over the background music than other characters (I've been finding problems with this generally so I might start a separate thread...)
  • edited June 2010
    I personally think the best thing about that guy is he's foreign for everyone in the world, even for Europeans.
  • edited June 2010
    I recognized Majus' voice almost right away, especially since I had just been rewatching the 'I Wonder What Happens..' movies on my Tales dvd. When Sam started talking to the tourist I was thinking "Hmm this guy has an unusual accent, I wonder who-- SFDGSDF OMG IT'S MAJUS!!" It sounded like he was intentionally overexaggerating the accent which threw me off for a bit. :D

Anyway, it's so cool that they found a way to work him in an actual voice role. Telltale keeps on surprising me with their great use of inside humor.
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited June 2010
    der_ketzer wrote: »
    He taught me new german words that I will frequently use in conversations from now on.

Oh no, he didn't!! :D
    You already knew that...
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited June 2010
    Shwoo wrote: »
    So does Weltraumliebewachzauberkrieg mean anything? I see the German word for war, and if Google translate is working correctly, there's also something about a spell and a guard.

It doesn't really mean anything, and translating the individual words (outer space - love - awake - magic/enchantment - war) wouldn't help you much. I find this to be a wonderful new creation that possibly plays with a lot of German stereotypes, German language peculiarities and preferred English loan words from German. But I'd be far too quick analyzing it to death. For once, I'll pass! :D

(Oh, and there's no "guard" in Weltraumliebewachzauberkrieg. Google is fooled by the syllable "wach" in this case, as "guard" is "Wächter" in German. Nonetheless, these words are indeed connected etymologically in German, as the guard ("Wächter") is of course always the one who has to be awake ("wach") all the time. So the German "guard" is actually a "be-awake". ;) )
  • edited June 2010
    "Zauberkrieg" really made me laugh, actually the whole word sums up the story and its elements quite nicely. But IIRC, the tourist showed some French-isms as well.
  • edited June 2010
    julian wrote: »
    "Zauberkrieg" really made me laugh, actually the whole word sums up the story and its elements quite nicely. But IIRC, the tourist showed some French-isms as well.
    He also says "De nada" at one point, which is clearly Spanish.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.